Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
I got into the DC once it had already been fire sale'd and what an awesome time that was. To be a poor kid who was always a generation behind when systems came out the DC was really a thing to behold; I got half of my game collection from Ames for less than 20 bucks total. It never ceased to amaze me how little traction the system got. Some of my first purchases were Seaman, Jet Grind, and Shenmue; none of my friends had even heard of/seen any of these titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I enjoyed Toy Commander

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Why? You could emulate the console and every game it ever had on a laptop from 5 years ago.

You need the original controller to really emulate.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FogHelmut posted:

You need the original controller to really emulate.

I had a knock off controller that was impossible to hold comfortably. Dreamcast controller were remarkably comfy.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I tried to play dream cast once at the best buy but the display was broken op

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Dreamcast was good, and imho the first 3D console that didn't look like donkey poo poo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor J Off posted:

FF9 is better, and in fact is the best final fantasy.

This except FFVI

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Why? You could emulate the console and every game it ever had on a laptop from 5 years ago.

It was inexpensive and last time I checked emulating anything newer than the N64 was terrible and only done by desperate idiots

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was inexpensive and last time I checked emulating anything newer than the N64 was terrible and only done by desperate idiots

This is true with the exception of the Gamecube and Wii because Dolphin is amazing. It's actually much better to run N64 VC games on Wii with Dolphin than to emulate them directly.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

Dreamcast was good, and imho the first 3D console that didn't look like donkey poo poo.

It was the first console featuring a game that I legitimately mistook for live action video. It was a commercial for some boxing game. What was it called...brainsmashers or something?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I enjoyed Toy Commander

Came to post about this, I never had a dream cast but I used to play Toy Commander in a friends house and it was fuckin great.

The guys house was really fuckin filthy all the time too looking back on it I remember there was an open bag of wotsits on the floor that had been there so long they'd went from orange to white. But, dreamcast bruh.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Got one for my birthday that year. When my folks went to get it at toys r us the only game they had left was elemental gimmick gear. Beat that kid in town 100 times in a row to get a belt that let you soon without losing health and powered through it. Also bought that zombie beat em up game and I think you could keep a pet zombie on the vmu.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Did anyone get on the internet with it?

I used the hell out of the web browser discs (I had 1 and 2.0 or whatever) on that thing, because I was living between 2 houses and only one had a PC at the time. It was actually a pretty okay browser for the time.

Also I was the only person I knew who had Sonic Adventure DLC. There was multiple, and you could only have one installed at a time. And all it did was put a christmas tree up or something. And I think 2 had a bunch of extra skins, but the in-game Phantasy Star ones were better anyway.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Improbable Lobster posted:

PS2 and Wii/Gamecube emulation is now better than Dreamcast emulation. The only "good" Dreamcast emulator doesn't even work with all the games, like Shenmue has hosed-up character models and Ryo's like a floating head or something.

Skies of Arcadia is the only good JRPG ever made. If you think otherwise you're wrong.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I love the Toy Commander single player buy gently caress how the gently caress were you supposed to hunt people down in multiplayer? I think we ended up loving around in race cars doing sweet tricks instead.

Also, who else played this garbage game and liked it because their pokemon-loving rear end didn't know any better:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

PS2 and Wii/Gamecube emulation is now better than Dreamcast emulation. The only "good" Dreamcast emulator doesn't even work with all the games, like Shenmue has hosed-up character models and Ryo's like a floating head or something.

Skies of Arcadia is the only good JRPG ever made. If you think otherwise you're wrong.

Even PS1+2 emulation is still pretty hosed.

IllBleed is the best horror game on DC BTW

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Dreamcast? Oh you mean my Marvel vs Capcom 2 unit.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Looking at Dreamcast screenshots now it looks pretty bad, but I think it's more that you need the extra blur you get from CRTs.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dreamcast? Oh you mean my Marvel vs Capcom 2 unit.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wanna take you for a ride

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Germstore posted:

Looking at Dreamcast screenshots now it looks pretty bad, but I think it's more that you need the extra blur you get from CRTs.

I was running Dreamcast VGA on my HDTV before it perished and I thought it looked great, but rose colored glasses...

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This except FFVI

While I do disagree, I do respect the courage it takes to post such obviously wrong statements

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Oh wait I had Grandia II for Dreamcast. I played the poo poo out of that game until I got to the end of Disk 1 and Disk 2 had an error on it or some poo poo so I never found out how the game ended.

you fight god and kill him

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
vgaa output was dope.

so was my binder of games

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the emulator demul can force higher resolutions like dolphin can if you want to try any old games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpvK3mg8fdk

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Doctor J Off posted:

While I do disagree, I do respect the courage it takes to post such obviously wrong statements

I'm gonna give you a pile-driver, prepare yourself

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Still has games coming out for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dreamcast_homebrew_games

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Are any of those games any good?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Grimlook posted:

No

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Grimlook posted:

"homebrew"

so uh, no

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm gonna give you a pile-driver, prepare yourself

Also ff6 isn't even the best snes one, its 5 lol

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i liked the dreamcast soul calibur was real good also lot of other good games

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I played ReVolt a lot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Red Dog is pretty good too

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Doctor J Off posted:

Also ff6 isn't even the best snes one, its 5 lol

What the loving poo poo.... Mods?!?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
F355 challenge is so incredibly good and it annoyed me so loving much that the replay just condensed your race into highhighlights lap rather than showing all of them

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

timp posted:

It was the first console featuring a game that I legitimately mistook for live action video. It was a commercial for some boxing game. What was it called...brainsmashers or something?

The only one I can think of was Ready 2 Rumble but it looked cartoon-y

FuhrerHat posted:

wanna take you for a ride

unpacked robinhood posted:

I played ReVolt a lot

I remember the AI in that game being pretty brutal.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
YA YA YA YA YA!!

Crazy Taxi single handedly gave The Offspring a Japanese fandom.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

CannonFodder posted:

YA YA YA YA YA!!

Crazy Taxi single handedly gave The Offspring a Japanese fandom.

I hate the Offspring but I was a bit upset to see they had stripped all the music for the XB360 re-release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Wamdoodle posted:

The only one I can think of was Ready 2 Rumble but it looked cartoon-y

I just figured it out

here's the commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSBAhGoR0p8

that IS a real video, timp, you IDIOT! You dumb, preteen Idiot Dumbass IDIOT!!

• Locked thread