Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/775113180632666112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I love America. America is cool and good. Fly that flag loud and proud.

But for the love of God, don't make it as over the top as Bristol was this weekend. There's a reason everyone around the world hates us, and poo poo like that is part of it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TBeats posted:

I love America. America is cool and good. Fly that flag loud and proud.

But for the love of God, don't make it as over the top as Bristol was this weekend. There's a reason everyone around the world hates us, and poo poo like that is part of it.

On the list of issues the world has with the US, flying some flags at a goddamn race track is ultimately pretty low.

Also holy poo poo bowling green is 100% rear end this year and we are going to lose bad to Middle Tennessee and Memphis.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Frinkahedron posted:

Also Tennessee has a punt sign:

The punt sign is basically held up constantly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The MAC and Big 12 have each given 2-game suspensions to their respective crews working the CMU/OKSt game.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Mike_V posted:

Sounds like the time is right for Mizzou to trip into another SEC East title baby

Hell yeah :hfive:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Crotch Bat posted:

Everyone watched that game, everyone knows you did nothing close to thumping VT. You played like trash and VT self-destructed the entire way with penalties and fumbles.

I mean, VT did absolutely jack poo poo after the 1st quarter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm really disappointed ESPN puts up such poo poo low-res versions of these because they rule

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DJExile posted:

I'm really disappointed ESPN puts up such poo poo low-res versions of these because they rule

Missing a flat tire.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

TFF COLLEGE PICK 'EM WEEK 2 RESULTS

'Drew' had the best week with 8 picks, whoever that is - great picks! Congrats to everyone who chose WKU to cover that spread. Looks like we lost a couple players this week... or CoronaryBypass and #VolsDeep are trying an interesting strategy of not picking games. Banzai 3 seems to be experimenting with this strategy as well, who didn't pick 3 games this week (one of which was FSU free points). Gotta pick them all!

Here's the leaderboard now, which features a nine way tie for second place. Clearly we all took this opportunity to catch up to General Dog:

I'll have the week 3 picks up later today! Thanks again to everyone for playing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha who is "gently caress the gators" because that's a good rear end name

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Regnevelc posted:

I mean, VT did absolutely jack poo poo after the 1st quarter.

Because of fumbles and penalties, there were plenty of potentially drive starting big plays that got wiped out. Debord was still p insistent on going run run obvious pass anywhere that wasn't a gift inside the 20. As a VT fan we pissed away a chance to keep that game winnable, because the Vols weren't grossly out playing us beyond just not pissing all over themselves. Vols still got concerns, still not sure if they're as good as advertised and won't until UF.

90 total passing yards, and being out gained by 100 yards even with the super short fields isn't a formula you can count on moving forward. No team is likely to implode and be that unlucky every time they play Tenn this season.

The final score is the turnover differential in scores basically. D line was better for the Vols than in week 1 tho, Oline remained a mess for most of the game. But I guess there was a really nasty run there 2nd-3rd quarter where we couldn't do anything right, then the string of fumbles in the 4th when we were in a spot to make it a 1 score game just tanked the team. Vols did what they should with those gifts, but it still didn't feel like a dominant performance.

The Vols fan in me is sorta pleased they remembered about their huge WRs at least as RZ threats, and everything is still on the table for them, but this team needs a lot of improvement to not lose 2-3 SEC games.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 12, 2016

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My bad on the Pick'em. I usually do it on ESPN and didn't filter the reminder e-mail.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crotch Bat posted:

Everyone watched that game, everyone knows you did nothing close to thumping VT. You played like trash and VT self-destructed the entire way with penalties and fumbles.

Keep going, I am almost there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also way late on this but

Deacs, bithc :frogc00l:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Coach Mac described Jawaan Taylor, who is down to 340lbs as of today, as a 'rolling ball of butcher knives.'

Checks out.

:getin:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
The week 3 picks are up! This week is looking much, much better:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UGA looked like poo poo Saturday. Absolute garbage. That was the worst UGA game I've ever seen live, leapfrogging last year's 9-6 game against Mizzou, and the gruesome twosome of UGA 16-UAB 13 and UGA 13-Marshall 3 back from when Richt tried to pull double duty as HC and OC and forgot what a touchdown was.

Kirby, bless him, is going to make this team as constructed play like it has a bulldozing Bama front and it...uh, doesn't. So for most of the game, you had UGA running the ball into a box with about six thousand people in it and then calling on Eason (who played FINE by the way, I have no idea where this "he struggled all game long" stuff is coming from) to hit the jackpot on 3rd and 15s. And then we had dropsies. Ergo: Run run pass punt, the true hallmark of lousy vanilla offense. I thought we fired Schotty, no?

And I have no idea why Eason was yanked for Lambert, because competent, cool, calm, collected game manager Lambert is not. He left a receiver out to dry on a 3rd and 2 and the pass didn't even get to the sticks, why does this guy play, ever. Chubb, who kinda stunk on the day, ended up saving the day in the end by getting just enough for a few first downs to bleed the clock. Yippee. Did I mention the Dawgs were favored by 50+? And won by 2? Whooza-whuzza?

I said before the year that UGA was going 7-5. That still seems about right I guess. Might even be worse. Ugh.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA looked like poo poo Saturday. Absolute garbage. That was the worst UGA game I've ever seen live, leapfrogging last year's 9-6 game against Mizzou, and the gruesome twosome of UGA 16-UAB 13 and UGA 13-Marshall 3 back from when Richt tried to pull double duty as HC and OC and forgot what a touchdown was.

Kirby, bless him, is going to make this team as constructed play like it has a bulldozing Bama front and it...uh, doesn't. So for most of the game, you had UGA running the ball into a box with about six thousand people in it and then calling on Eason (who played FINE by the way, I have no idea where this "he struggled all game long" stuff is coming from) to hit the jackpot on 3rd and 15s. And then we had dropsies. Ergo: Run run pass punt, the true hallmark of lousy vanilla offense. I thought we fired Schotty, no?

And I have no idea why Eason was yanked for Lambert, because competent, cool, calm, collected game manager Lambert is not. He left a receiver out to dry on a 3rd and 2 and the pass didn't even get to the sticks, why does this guy play, ever. Chubb, who kinda stunk on the day, ended up saving the day in the end by getting just enough for a few first downs to bleed the clock. Yippee. Did I mention the Dawgs were favored by 50+? And won by 2? Whooza-whuzza?

I said before the year that UGA was going 7-5. That still seems about right I guess. Might even be worse. Ugh.

Glad y'all fired ran off Mark Richt. Seems to be working out well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Coach Mac described Jawaan Taylor, who is down to 340lbs as of today, as a 'rolling ball of butcher knives.'

Checks out.

:getin:

"He's solid, man," said running back Mark Thompson, recalling the first time he met Taylor. "For a big guy, I remember I hit him with a tap in the stomach one time and I was like 'dang, his abs are better than mine.' He's a big guy, very solid."

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Can someone explain to me why auburn is favored over a&m?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is Lambert starting against Mizzou?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Quandary posted:

Played almost as well vs Clemson as Troy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quandary posted:

Trevor Knight plus Auburn's thrilling victory over Arkansas State.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Glad y'all fired ran off Mark Richt. Seems to be working out well.

Having a lovely OL would still be an issue if Richt were in Athens, as it was never a priority, and it was never going to be a priority. (See also: special teams.) Only Richt's plan to combat that would be to be cuter on offense rather than recruit an OL that can move some people. That would probably be a better option in the short term than Kirby's "screw it, we're just gonna be bad at it for now but play like we're not," but Kirby was hired for the long-term change.

Now, whether or not the fanbase can deal with the wait is another issue.

I've heard Saban lost to ULM thrown about but I think a better comparison is RichRod at Michigan. '08 Michigan maybe could've squeaked to a bad bowl had Rodriguez altered his gameplan to suit the personnel, but he instead installed his offense from Day 1, results be damned. And so '08 Michigan was terrible. RichRod eventually bombed out anyway due to reasons that aren't really applicable with the Kirby situation, though.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Also, it may come as a flooring shock to the Dan Wolkens of the world, but LULZ I bet Richt's laffin' right now! is....not remotely an original point!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Jordanis posted:

Oregon D-line is Not Good. I was about ready to loving lose it if Virginia ran it up a huge hole in the middle again. I think we're going to need a lot of linebacker support to stop the run, and that's really going to put that secondary out on an island.

O-line is also pretty suspect, but there's still a couple guys out apparently? I dunno, I'm not convinced. Prukop looks super legit, though, which is cool. Dude can stand, deliver, take a shot, and pop right back up. I think he's going to need that this year. He needs to get faster at getting the play set and snapped, though.

Yeah, linebackers are going to be an issue if Raglin and Hotchkins can't play - both injured this weekend. Virginia went from 36 yards rushing against an FCS team to 193 against Oregon. Hopefully we see some hidden talent in the backups or it could be a long day for the Ducks.

Good to see Prukop speeding things up a bit from last week, hopefully tempo is where it should be next week. Kind of hard when he can't trust the o-line to get the protection right though. Also nice to see Devon Allen back to form. Offensive weapons are not an area of need but I was really disappointed to hear Dillon Mitchell is out for a torn meniscus - really looking forward to seeing him play as he's going to be the next great Duck receiver.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Quandary posted:

Home field advantage is worth 3-4 points to the betting folks I think. I guess people think Auburn and A&M are basically equal.

As an Auburn fan I'm not really sure about this. I think they could have beaten Clemson the other week if they ran the normal offense, but Clemson also hasn't played very well the first two games. I think A&M is a tough game for Auburn because their secondary has been giving up yards and some big plays.

I really have no idea where these teams stand. Is UCLA any good? Is Clemson? I want to say Auburn will win a close game, but I don't know if there is a result that would surprise me.

My prediction is it will come down to whether Auburn is better at stopping the pass than A&M is at stopping the run.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

It's September, so A&M should still be pretty good

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Seaniqua posted:

'Drew' had the best week with 8 picks, whoever that is - great picks!

I hear that guy is both smart and good looking, but couldn't figure out the Fox profiling system bullshit to change his name...

edit: it's not all my fault:

lovely Fox Fantasy User Settings Save Button posted:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.foxsports.com/fantasy/collegefootball/pickem/user/settings/" on this server.

Reference #18.ad58db17.1473700327.8470dc1

drewhead fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 12, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

The week 3 picks are up! This week is looking much, much better:

That line on nebraska - Oregon seems.... suspect.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Having a lovely OL would still be an issue if Richt were in Athens, as it was never a priority, and it was never going to be a priority. (See also: special teams.) Only Richt's plan to combat that would be to be cuter on offense rather than recruit an OL that can move some people.

I don't really follow recruiting, but aren't a lot of the next couple of classes going to be aimed at OL recruits? I was pretty sure we were in the market to pick up some beef because that's what Chaney and Pittman want

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't really follow recruiting, but aren't a lot of the next couple of classes going to be aimed at OL recruits? I was pretty sure we were in the market to pick up some beef because that's what Chaney and Pittman want

Yep.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
My prediction for A&M Auburn is a&m will lead for three quarters by 1-3 scores and will turn to poo poo in the 4th causing an overtime where it's a coin flip whether or not they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I'm bringing back the computer poll...

pre:
Team			Record	Score		Strength of Schedule		Conferences by SOS	Conferences by Score	
 1. Ohio State		2-0	2.1945		1. Massachusetts		1. ACC			1. SEC		0.9861
 2. Alabama		2-0	2.0563		2. Kentucky			2. SEC			2. American	0.7676
 3. Florida		2-0	1.9491		3. Rice				3. Sun Belt		3. ACC		0.7512
 4. Michigan		2-0	1.7711		4. Western Kentucky		4. Conference USA	4. Sun Belt	0.7149
 5. Nebraska		2-0	1.7368		5. Tulsa			5. Pac 12		5. Conf USA	0.6613
 6. Louisville		2-0	1.7311		6. Arkansas State		6. Big 12		6. MAC		0.5925
 7. Colorado		2-0	1.6864		7. UCLA				7. MAC			7. Big 12	0.3433
 8. Wisconsin		2-0	1.6848		8. USC				8. Mountain West	8. Pac 12	0.3375
 9. Washington		2-0	1.6060		9. South Alabama		9. Big 10		9. Mtn West	0.2599
10. Texas A&M		2-0	1.5909		10. Ball State			10. American		10. Big 10	0.2191
11. Houston		2-0	1.5700		11. Georgia State					
12. Army		2-0	1.5053		12. Wyoming					
13. Georgia Southern	2-0	1.4747		13. UTEP		Median	0.4820	LSU	
14. Baylor		2-0	1.4684		14. SMU			Average	0.5753	Arkansas	
15. Southern Miss	2-0	1.3851		15. Wake Forest					
16. Iowa		2-0	1.3675		16. Oklahoma					
17. Toledo		2-0	1.3637		17. Clemson					
18. Miami (FL)		2-0	1.3459		18. Appalachian State					
19. Central Michigan	2-0	1.3302		19. Texas State					
20. Marshall		1-0	1.3271		20. South Carolina					
21. Indiana		2-0	1.2692		21. Boston College					
22. Maryland		2-0	1.1960		22. Kansas State					
23. Texas		2-0	1.1717		23. Alabama					
24. Wake Forest		2-0	1.1559		24. Colorado State					
25. Florida State	2-0	1.1380		25. BYU					

119. Florida Intl.	0-2	-0.3162		124. Miami (FL)					
120. Kentucky		0-2	-0.3277		125. Navy					
121. Georgia State	0-2	-0.3317		126. Air Force					
122. Rice		0-2	-0.3337		127. Western Michigan					
123. Arkansas State	0-2	-0.3390		128. Oregon					
124. Northern Illinois	0-2	-0.3407							
125. Northwestern	0-2	-0.3545							
126. Kent State		0-2	-0.4749							
127. Iowa State		0-2	-0.5069							
128. Virginia		0-2	-0.7373							

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm going to be pissed to all hell if Ole Miss beats us again. Given it's in Mississippi this year and our O Line can't get their poo poo together, I'm not too confident they won't get a 3rd.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Korranus posted:

I'm bringing back the computer poll...

pre:
Team	

15. Southern Miss	2-0	1.3851		

Checks out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

D.N. Nation posted:

Having a lovely OL would still be an issue if Richt were in Athens, as it was never a priority, and it was never going to be a priority. (See also: special teams.) Only Richt's plan to combat that would be to be cuter on offense rather than recruit an OL that can move some people. That would probably be a better option in the short term than Kirby's "screw it, we're just gonna be bad at it for now but play like we're not," but Kirby was hired for the long-term change.

Now, whether or not the fanbase can deal with the wait is another issue.

I've heard Saban lost to ULM thrown about but I think a better comparison is RichRod at Michigan. '08 Michigan maybe could've squeaked to a bad bowl had Rodriguez altered his gameplan to suit the personnel, but he instead installed his offense from Day 1, results be damned. And so '08 Michigan was terrible. RichRod eventually bombed out anyway due to reasons that aren't really applicable with the Kirby situation, though.

This seems like a not especially flattering comparison because I feel like being stubborn about stuff like this (specifically on the defensive side) was a fairly significant part of RichRod being a failure at Michigan. It wasn't the only thing (there were plenty of other mistakes made both by him and the administration as a whole) but being super inflexible does not seem like a positive trait for a coach

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

This seems like a not especially flattering comparison because I feel like being stubborn about stuff like this (specifically on the defensive side) was a fairly significant part of RichRod being a failure at Michigan. It wasn't the only thing (there were plenty of other mistakes made both by him and the administration as a whole) but being super inflexible does not seem like a positive trait for a coach

Agreed. I mean, I think forcing the 3-3-5 onto a DC who is a 4-3 guy was more of a downfall than his offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's also bad because 2008 Michigan was just a loving bad football team and they were going to be bad no matter what. They had Nick Sheridan and Steven Threet at QB and a garbage O-Line. That's not going to be good as a pro style offense either.

• Locked thread