Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I shouldn't have to say it, but if it hasn't aired yet, don't spoil poo poo in this thread.

This season begins September 21st on CBS! Check your local listings.

Are you looking for the Australian Survivor Thread?

Too much money? Smilies.

• :probst:

• :blindside:

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 18 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

Supplemental Material

• Rob Has A Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. Former Castaway Rob Cesternino does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the latest player voted out, and provides theories about strategy. He frequently brings former castaways on as guests. This podcast provides worthwhile insight and background information that you won't get from the show.

• Twitter: List of Cast. Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in awhile tweet something that's actually amusing. Currently missing Michaela, Ciandre, Paul, and Taylor

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel updates at the end of each episode with bonus confessionals, behind the scenes, and Ponderosa videos.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

This Season's Cast

Check out the CBS Official Cast Profiles for more information.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I mentioned it in the last thread but Rob Cesternino's wife said that the Gen X'ers that complained about participation trophies in their bios should forfeit their prize money if they aren't the Sole Survivor.

Pony: Hannah
Poison: Michelle

My Pony was almost Zeke... then I saw Hannah's Twitter profile.

Naked Jeff image as the cover image. Making fun of Chris in her bio with the gum comment. Amusing feed.

Michelle, on the other hand, is the worst. A missionary recruiter who studies the ~*stars*~ and ~*dragons*~ who really wants to be a black widow... and what the hell is that rat tail that goes down to her rear end when her hair only reaches her shoulder blades?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Also why do Lucy and Paul have the same quote? If they both said that I want them both to win.

I grabbed the quotes from their bios and preview videos. Both Paul and Lucy said their pet peeves are whiners and then proceeded to whine about participation trophies. They both also happened to be right next to each other in my setup. I was going to make the QQ high fiving each other but I didn't feel like editing it in after everything else.

:qq::hf::qq:

Max posted:

Sunday seems like someone that is going to be voted out really fast, as that seems to be the fate of ultra-religious folks on this show.

There's something like five ultra religious people. Sunday, Will, Michelle, and Ciandre for sure. I forget who the other one is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have no problem with the people who are openly religious on the show as long as they're not a jerk about it. Though I do get a little twitch when people thank god for their own good hard work as if they couldn't do it without divine help... but that's just me being a loving goon. It's especially egregious during challenges when the winner feels like God chose them over everyone else and lets the audience know. That's pretty loving self-centered.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
By the way, for those of you who aren't too high on this season, Australian Survivor is pretty awesome. There's a link to the thread in the OP.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Jesus gently caress, you aren't joking.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
SURVIVOR NIGHT! :peanut:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
West coast watcher here.

-Jay and Taylor are both meatheads and both friends now.
-Zeke is a jerk about the other millennials. Very holier than thou.
-Ken is smart. "Don't underestimate the millennials."
-Jessica got a legacy advantage, day 36.
-Figgy thinks she's the next Parvati.
-Figgy joins the meathead alliance.
-"Namaste" :rolleyes:
-Rachel being obnoxiously flirty.
-David being a wimp... and also playing too hard by throwing shade on Ken on day 1. :gonk:
-Millennials have a party day 1 rather than make a shelter or anything. Nice way to fight stereotypes there, guys... and ignore Jeff's warnings about the weather.
-Jeff loans both teams a tarp until the weather clears.
-uh oh. Jeff showed up on Millennial beach.
-Cyclone! :krakken:
-Survivor evacuated.
-disappointed they didn't show us where they evacuated to.
-holy crap. If they stayed they could have been killed.
-David getting heartfelt music.. proceeds to panic about getting voted out. Searches for an idol in view of everyone.
-Michelle is now part of the meathead alliance it seems.
-Shortcuts at the cost of bigger puzzles later. Cool? But Survivor hasn't seemed great at balancing challenge options in the past.
-Gen X taking both shortcuts. Millennials just one when behind. David and Rachel switch out.
-Millennials win. Duh. Bye David.
-Rachel is the name being thrown about. David acts like a sad sack. Might just change every vote to him.
-The group of five in a ten person tribe want to split the vote? Hah.
-oh good. People throwing votes wherever the hell.
-Why is Cece getting votes?
- ^ Sunday, Jessica, Lucy. Oh. That's where they split the votes. Black person was left out in another survivor season. Surprise surprise.
-Rachel voted out.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 22, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Joe Anglim and Kelly "I don't want to be on TV I just want a million dollars" Wiglesworth are doing some sort of "intimate" reality show. :jerkbag:

Only found out about it because Tyson threw shade on Joe over it on RHAP.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
When George Lucas said he wasn't thrilled with Episode 7 right before it was released, I knew it was going to be excellent.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No secret scenes or bonus confessionals this week?

Come on, Survivor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

bbf2 posted:

What are you talking about? They had all of those things. They put them up on their YouTube channel right after the west coast airing like they always do.

Noooope. Just the "getting to know" and scenes taken directly from the aired footage.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Previously on Survivor Burn was great. "...and they formed a four man alliance." *cuts to "TRIFORCE!"*

Figgy: "We were making out all last night, but no one realizes we're a power couple." :jerkbag: Then it cuts to everyone talking about them being a power couple.

Jay and Michelle are smarter than their pre-game info let on. Jay did a good job talking Figgy down for the good of the group and Michelle has been pretty well spoken, especially during this tribal.

I'm glad we're not going to get a season worth of Mari's video game references. I found it kind of satisfying she's so salty on the way out she accused everyone else of being salty. :salt:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want to change my poison to Figgy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching through the bonus confessionals so you don't have to.

Adam: White noise about challenges and camp life. Only gem is "I know someone has lied to me and that's who I'm voting for at tribal." He voted for Figgy.

Figgy: Gives a white noise confessional about losing the challenge. "My name is on the chopping block because I'm a leader."

Hannah: Wanted to participate in the challenge but other players were pretty insistent on participating and she didn't want to cause a fuss. Reflects on why Tasha didn't flip on Jeremy, or why Woo didn't flip on Tony and examines her own game.

Jay: Purposefully poked Michaela to instigate bigger fight with Figgy.

Mari: Challenge hard. Weather annoying. Losing a challenge like, totally sucks, man.

Michaela: "If you lie to me and I find a use for you then I'll keep you around. But the moment you are not useful I'll dispose of you and that's what I'll do with Figgy. I know who I want to the end. I know who I trust. So everyone else, we're playing chess together."

Michelle: Knows she has to seem like she's on everybody's side.

Taylor: Doesn't think the tribe is worried about him being part of a power couple. "If it works, I own this island... we own this island."

Will: Thinks voting out Figgy is only helpful in the short-term and voting out Mari is helpful in the long-term. "Mari doesn't talk strategy to anybody and she's too likable."

Zeke: Throws shade on Taylor over his showmance with Figgy. Aware that Figgy and Taylor think they're in control of the game.

~~~

Bret: Talks about what led up to Peter's episode. Doesn't want Paul to leave.

CeCe: Worked out an alliance with Ken, David, and Lucy. They're looking for a fifth member and CeCe wants Paul. (contrast with Chris)

Chris: Concerned Paul would go home which is bad for his game (contrast with CeCe)

David: Tells how he found the idol. Basically says exactly what we saw on TV. "Coconuts don't grow with paint on them." "If I sniff the least little bit that I'm going home I'm going to play the idol."

Jessica: Happy to win a challenge. Happy to have fire. Happy to white noise.

Ken: He likes David. Was skeptical about the fake looking idol until David showed him the Idol note.

Lucy: Everybody is getting along and everything is fine!

Paul: Talks about his health crisis. Wants to reassure his allies that he's okay and going to be fine.

Sunday is the only player not to have a bonus confessional.

I swear the entirety of the Extended Scene was aired last night because none of it looked new.

"...Liar!"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They're right.

They know which side their bread is buttered.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rat Tail

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That circlejerk about texting was the worst.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bolivar posted:

Worst part (aside from Hannah, holy poo poo what a garbage person)

It was pretty cringeworthy but I wouldn't go that far.

https://twitter.com/HannahLilNessen/status/783887614185136128

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:krakken:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Poque posted:

Hey, Lucy can talk.

Popping in before west coast viewing time to say there's no way she's making it through this episode if she's finally getting dialogue.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

But isn't this the exact same edit that made Stephen go all-in on a Jon Misch win?

If Fishbach could read people he'd be a winner.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He has CeCe, Jessica, and Ken. They claim Jessica and Sunday are tight.

Sunday and Ken voted for Jessica last episode. Jessica voted for CeCe.

I don't think David is particularly safe, but we're getting a swap next episode so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lucy is super :salt: about Jessica and CeCe on the RHAP exit interview.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Lucy pissed off a producer.

One promo picture is not like the others.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is it coincidence that minorities are knocked out early?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, what are people's thoughts on Kaoh Rong and Michele as a winner now that several months have passed? I know there was a lot of backlash when it first hit, but while Michele wasn't my pick to win (Cydney was), I thought she did okay for a winner and people just got soured on her because of editing.

I have no ill will toward Michelle. I think the jury made a bad choice and the editors made so much of all the other characters instead of trying to prop up Michelle that the season didn't make sense from a story telling perspective.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's not the best use of an idol, but I wouldn't say it's the worst. He bought an ally at the very least.

A lot of idols get completely wasted.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shneak posted:

I need that #blindside with Chris' reaction in a gif.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

Hmm, i think minorities get the short end of the stick disproportionately often but it's not like Jeremy, Earl, Yul, Natalie, Vecepia, Sandra x2 haven't won before. Therefore, Michaela will win

I've actually been wanting to make a spreadsheet for awhile to see if there's a trend. Here it is. I put all the names on the second tab so it's not TOO spoilery. Please forgive any errors.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 21, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just goes to show you that what everyone assumes Survivor production is going to do will always be better than what they come up with.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Australian Survivor has ended if some of you have been waiting for the end of the season to binge through it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hey lets not spoil it for those who might want to jump in?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Priorities.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TMMadman posted:

So am I the only one that thinks Michelle is better looking that Figgy?

Yeah. They're such objects.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Great episode. Michaela'a "Hey whatcha got there?" Is still cracking me up. Also Jay calling the ground the "floor" like an idiot was good too. David being unable to follow simple commands like "stop solving the other team's puzzles" or "turn" is hilarious. Michaela explaining to Jeff that if the one tribe couldn't figure out how to vote then they deserve to go home, followed by that actually happening, was just perfect.

Didn't seem like Michelle was getting enough volume to me. Chris was able to yell loud enough for him to hear.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Gossip talk. Figgy says in her exit interviews that she and Taylor are no longer together.

"Our lives on the island vs real life are completely different. There were things in his real life situation that got in the way of us being together." She continued on to say that she "dodged a bullet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's his job?

Literally everything that happens on the island is relayed by the cameramen and on-site producers to Jeff so he knows as much as possible to make the right Tribal questions for the best TV.

• Locked thread