Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
There's a game being played in Azerbaijan right now.
Because it's the group stage, there is a large number of games played in Azerbaijan, Israel, Romania, Austria, and other powerhouse countries.

"But what about those pairings that look like Europa games when they happen in the CL, and look like CL games when they happen in Europa?", you may (or may not) wonder.
Well, as I said, it's the group stage, so there aren't any yet.

I guess there's this highlight

I guess

Other games that a neutral viewer may be interested in:

Feyenoord - United
Viktoria Plzen - Roma
Panathinaikos - Ajax
Braga - Gent
PAOK - Fiorentina

Other games (that I'm interested in) that you are not interested in:

Maccabi T-Aviv - Zenit

Other games (that I'm not interested in) that you are also not interested in:

who gives a poo poo

Now let's go and post about how Zlatan scores a large number of goals against Feyenoord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

Why are we posting in last season's thread OP??????????

Because I'm an idiot who pays attention to Europa
E: :downs:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
drat, it's good when you're playing with de-facto 9 players against 11

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
gently caress everyone except Garcia

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Garcia even refused to shake that Romanian fraud's hand when he was getting subbed off
And I'm with Garcia here

Why a 70-year old Romanian fraud who hasn't worked outside of loving Ukraine for 15 years was even considered in the first place after goddamn AVB I cannot comprehend

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 15, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Aaaand Zenit are winning after being 3-0 down after 70 minutes.
WHAT.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star Error posted:

What caused this? Picking up a backpass? Also did they score?

I have no idea. I've seen the episode live, I didn't understand poo poo, I've seen it on repeat, I didn't understand anything, so I'll go with Gazprom for now. That said, the episode was a total clusterfuck of tackles and... more tackles, so something may have happened.
Also, yes. :v:

vivisectvnv posted:

lol wtf Lucescu, is not a fraud, AVB was actually the fraud, you seem to have misspoken my fellow countryman and name twin

I hope that you're right, but so far I'm very very sad about what I'm seeing (this insane comeback notwithstanding)
Not saying that I was happy with AVB either, but at least I saw what he was doing

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 15, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star Error posted:

If anyone finds a video I'd like to see this it sounds fun, I love an indirect free kick in the box.

Troy Queef posted:

"Because Gazprom" is the best explanation for anything in modern football.

I am yet to find a video (it's probably going to take a while, because Youtube/streamable will only have goals, and the proper highlights on Russian websites will almost certainly be geographically restricted to Russia because lol). I have found an explanation, though. It's not Gazprom, as entertaining as that would have been.

The "Advantage" section in the "Fouls and Misconduct" part of the rules reads:
"Advantage [i.e. waiting to book/send people off until the ball is out of play when an attack is dangerous - me] should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick."

What was leading up to that episode:
1) An idiot from Maccabi commited a bookable tackle in the middle while already having a booking, but Zenit remained with the ball and the attack was really dangerous (which it was) due to the amount of space the Zenit player with the ball had and the episode's proximity to Maccabi's goal;
2) The same idiot (who was already up for being sent off for the second booking, but that was on hold because Zenit had an attack in the cooking) then proceeded to commit a foul in the box;
3) So what the ref did was sending the aforementioned idiot off and granting an indirect free kick where the foul happened.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Is it safe to say that the fate of Italian Coefficient is down to Sassuolo and Juventus?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
My only explanation is that the last thing the sent off player did wasn't a foul, but a tackle that would otherwise be legal, but under the circumstances constituted an illegal "interfering with an opponent", which I at the time thought was a foul
But I honestly don't remember the episode in that much detail, I'll need a replay (and I'll post it as soon as I find one)

--
Semi-related, it seems that Zenit players were aware of this new rule, because one of the club's in-house lawyers updates them on the changes of the rules when they are introduced. This, if true, is absolutely brilliant, because Maccabi players had no loving idea what was going on and were monumentally pissed.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 15, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I love me some Eredivisie defending.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I thought Eredivisie teams are supposed to play football, not rugby.
A deserved fifth with one less man on the field.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Lolbaerts, Loldygin

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Crishito

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Mak :getin:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Giuliano is a loving monster
And I wish Witsel did this more often than once a year

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
loving retard Mauricio

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that ref is incompetent

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Lol Mainz

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

blue footed boobie posted:

code:
D E T I H S O O P

I can't help but hear that as "Pooshited" recorded and played back in reverse

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ninpo posted:

Anderlecht v Zenit could go either way?

No, it couldn't, Anderlecht is one of the easier draws for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

shut up blegum posted:

:agreed: Anderlecht is not playing good at the moment.
But then again, Gent managed to beat Zenit, sooooooooooo

Yeah, so did AZ
And both matches had one thing in common: they were the sixth game in the group stage where Zenit already had 15 points

• Locked thread