Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

What caused this? Picking up a backpass? Also did they score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Bam! Milicevic owns!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
were Austin and Tadic really arguing over taking the penalty or was it misdirection?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Looks like the good Sassuolo lads won 3-0 against Bilbao? And Roma drew against some Czech clowns? Funny old game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Blue Star Error posted:

What caused this? Picking up a backpass? Also did they score?

I have no idea. I've seen the episode live, I didn't understand poo poo, I've seen it on repeat, I didn't understand anything, so I'll go with Gazprom for now. That said, the episode was a total clusterfuck of tackles and... more tackles, so something may have happened.
Also, yes. :v:

vivisectvnv posted:

lol wtf Lucescu, is not a fraud, AVB was actually the fraud, you seem to have misspoken my fellow countryman and name twin

I hope that you're right, but so far I'm very very sad about what I'm seeing (this insane comeback notwithstanding)
Not saying that I was happy with AVB either, but at least I saw what he was doing

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 15, 2016

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

surrender posted:

were Austin and Tadic really arguing over taking the penalty or was it misdirection?

Tadic was loving fuming

Not sure why St Marys is so empty. It's your first proper European night for a decade, should be pretty easy to fill the stadium?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Gigi Galli posted:

Looks like the good Sassuolo lads won 3-0 against Bilbao? And Roma drew against some Czech clowns? Funny old game.

The new UEFA president doesn't like the proposed CL changes so supporting Italy's coefficient might be back on

Alexeythegreat posted:

I have no idea. I've seen the episode live, I didn't understand poo poo, I've seen it on repeat, I didn't understand anything, so I'll go with Gazprom for now. That said, the episode was a total clusterfuck of tackles and... more tackles, so something may have happened.

If anyone finds a video I'd like to see this it sounds fun, I love an indirect free kick in the box.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Alexeythegreat posted:

"Because Gazprom" is the best explanation for anything in modern football.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Sassuolo are cool and good, gently caress the coefficient (if it's back) I hope everyone else loses today.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I missed United lol Mourinho really hates being in the Europa League. I care, however

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

PirateBob posted:

Rojo and Depay can't be sold soon enough.

Rojo needs games, but yeah, nothing can save Mempiss now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mackintosh posted:

Rojo needs games, but yeah, nothing can save Mempiss now.

Rojo is actually very bad.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star Error posted:

If anyone finds a video I'd like to see this it sounds fun, I love an indirect free kick in the box.

Troy Queef posted:

"Because Gazprom" is the best explanation for anything in modern football.

I am yet to find a video (it's probably going to take a while, because Youtube/streamable will only have goals, and the proper highlights on Russian websites will almost certainly be geographically restricted to Russia because lol). I have found an explanation, though. It's not Gazprom, as entertaining as that would have been.

The "Advantage" section in the "Fouls and Misconduct" part of the rules reads:
"Advantage [i.e. waiting to book/send people off until the ball is out of play when an attack is dangerous - me] should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick."

What was leading up to that episode:
1) An idiot from Maccabi commited a bookable tackle in the middle while already having a booking, but Zenit remained with the ball and the attack was really dangerous (which it was) due to the amount of space the Zenit player with the ball had and the episode's proximity to Maccabi's goal;
2) The same idiot (who was already up for being sent off for the second booking, but that was on hold because Zenit had an attack in the cooking) then proceeded to commit a foul in the box;
3) So what the ref did was sending the aforementioned idiot off and granting an indirect free kick where the foul happened.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

That ref must have been so pleased with himself for getting it right

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So why wasn't it a penalty?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lol at Inter, just lol

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

blue footed boobie posted:

So why wasn't it a penalty?

Do you mean why do the rules say to give an indirect free kick and not a penalty? If so, I don't know. Hope this helps.

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?

Troy Queef posted:

Lol at Inter, just lol

Their play has been as awful as their kit.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Is it safe to say that the fate of Italian Coefficient is down to Sassuolo and Juventus?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Alexeythegreat posted:

Is it safe to say that the fate of Italian Coefficient is down to Sassuolo and Juventus?

Juventus is poo poo in Europe, it's just down to Sassuolo.

I am insanely glad that Inter is this bad though.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

gently caress Inter lmao

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Is Inter really losing against a team with beer in its name?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Blue Star Error posted:

Do you mean why do the rules say to give an indirect free kick and not a penalty? If so, I don't know. Hope this helps.

I'm just not getting why a foul in the box wouldn't be a penalty. Surely that would override the earlier advantage rule.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
My only explanation is that the last thing the sent off player did wasn't a foul, but a tackle that would otherwise be legal, but under the circumstances constituted an illegal "interfering with an opponent", which I at the time thought was a foul
But I honestly don't remember the episode in that much detail, I'll need a replay (and I'll post it as soon as I find one)

--
Semi-related, it seems that Zenit players were aware of this new rule, because one of the club's in-house lawyers updates them on the changes of the rules when they are introduced. This, if true, is absolutely brilliant, because Maccabi players had no loving idea what was going on and were monumentally pissed.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 15, 2016

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol at Inter and lol at United.

Pogba has looked insanely underwhelming and I for one hope it stays that way.

Mourinho can pretend like he doesn't care about the Europa League but the team he put out should have no problem winning that game.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

Rojo is actually very bad.

I think Rojo is bad, but not as horrible as everyone makes him out to be. He should definitely be shipped out, of course.

Memphis I just don't understand. He always looks slow and useless, and at least last season, fat. I wouldn't be surprised if he went elsewhere and did a ton better.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I know mourinho is deliberately tanking the europa league but lol united

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

I think Rojo is bad, but not as horrible as everyone makes him out to be. He should definitely be shipped out, of course.

Memphis I just don't understand. He always looks slow and useless, and at least last season, fat. I wouldn't be surprised if he went elsewhere and did a ton better.

I should note I did not watch the game today. So yeah, wrong there.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Here is a full video of the whole Zenit/Maccabi mess.

https://streamable.com/2bys

Referee got it technically correct with the new changes to the Laws but this situation is the poster child for "Just don't play advantage on a red card unless the next kick is putting the ball in the net."

As far as why the restart is not a penalty kick on the situation, it is because you are not stopping play for a foul. The only reason play is being stopped is to deal with misconduct. That makes the restart an indirect free kick.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
If you have no life, like myself, there's a game on in this mickey mouse tournament from Azerbaijan. It'll likely be dire.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

rex rabidorum vires posted:

If you have no life, like myself, there's a game on in this mickey mouse tournament from Azerbaijan. It'll likely be dire.

There's also a game on in Kazachstan right now :science:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

beedeebee posted:

There's also a game on in Kazachstan right now :science:

im watching the young boys get bummed by a team of big strapping kazakhs

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Mainz scores to go up 1 nil. Decent move in fairness.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

FK Qabala have now turned the deficit around and are leading. Game is surprisingly decent.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 29, 2016

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Get hosed Inter

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Get hosed Inter

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Get hosed Inter

They're gonna finish bottom of the group and it's gonna own.

Also Mario scored again but Nice! are losing anyway

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 29, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Get hosed Inter

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

At this point I have to assume that inter are actively giving up on this competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Gigi Galli posted:

At this point I have to assume that inter are actively giving up on this competition.

i guess theyre not really inter it

• Locked thread