Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord
Problem description: My computer has recently started to shutdown then power back up while playing video games. When it powers back up it sounds like every fan is running at high speed, there's no video and it seems to be unresponsive. (I don't hear the Windows boot jingle after letting it sit for a minute.) Powering the system down for a few minutes then turning it back on is the only remedy to this I've found. The time between launching a game to shutdown seems to vary each time and is not centered on a specific game; I've seen it happen in Overwatch, The Secret World and Maia. I've been able to run two consecutive matches of Heroes of the Storm with no issue (Approx. time: one hour) but twice I've had a shutdown during the loading screen after getting matched in Overwatch. (Approx. time: five minutes for each attempt)

At first glance the problem does not appear to be temperature related. Logs from Open Hardware Monitor say that the GPU is running around 60 when a shutdown is triggered. CPU temp at shutdown is around 40.

Attempted fixes: Removing dust with compressed air. Disabling DSR in the Nvidia Control Center. Malwarebytes. Running chkdsk C: /f /r /x and Windows Memory Diagnostic (Standard test)

Recent changes: The most recent system-level change I can think of is upgrading my graphics drivers and uninstalling the GeForce Experience. But that was awhile ago and this problem started yesterday. Within that timeframe the only thing I can think of is buying and downloading Maia from Steam.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64

System specs: Intel Core i5-6500, ASRock H170M Pro4S, ASUS GeForce 970 TURBO-GTX970-OC-4GD5, 16 GB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What's the brand and model of your power supply?

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord
It's a 450W Seasonic SSP-450RT Active PFC F3.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Four initial things I'd try:

-Run DDU to uninstall GPU drivers: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-
Then install latest GPU drivers.

-Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

-Run memtest overnight at some point: http://www.memtest.org/

-Make sure motherboard BIOS is on the latest version.

If none of that makes a difference I'd try using the onboard GPU temporarily and see if you still get errors. If you do I'd try switching out the PSU and/or using one stick of RAM temporarily.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord
CDI says my drives are good and Memtest didn't find anything after two passes. I used DDU, updated my BIOS and cleaned the contacts on my graphics card (a suggestion from ASUS) but I still got shutdowns. However, now instead of that unresponsive zombie state when it powers back up it boots into Windows properly with audio and video. Hooray for minor victories.

I've swapped over to the integrated graphics and I haven't crashed since. That could just be luck though; after the cleaning and BIOS update I didn't crash until quite awhile later. I'm going to ask around for a spare computer to borrow so I can plug my graphics card into it and see if the problem persists there.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord
I put my graphics card in a borrowed computer and didn't get a crash. The put the borrowed computer's card in my system and still got shutdowns. Something on the motherboard then? Are there test/fixes I should know about or should open an RMA ticket?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TinKelp posted:

I put my graphics card in a borrowed computer and didn't get a crash. The put the borrowed computer's card in my system and still got shutdowns. Something on the motherboard then? Are there test/fixes I should know about or should open an RMA ticket?

So the computer was stable using onboard GPU?

If so, I'd probably try another PSU (how old is it)?

Trying another motherboard is another option.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord

Zogo posted:

So the computer was stable using onboard GPU?

If so, I'd probably try another PSU (how old is it)?

Trying another motherboard is another option.

Yes, on-board graphics have been stable. I've had FurMark running for several hours with no incident.

My PSU is only a year old. Also, I plugged it into a PSU tester and it didn't say there were any problems.

Trying another motherboard is an option in theory. Not in practice with my limited resources. I don't have a spare motherboard lying around and I doubt I know anyone willing to let me strip their computer completely apart. Swapping expansion cards is one thing; the motherboard is another.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TinKelp posted:

My PSU is only a year old. Also, I plugged it into a PSU tester and it didn't say there were any problems.

If it's only one year old it's probably okay.

PSU testers are generally good for quickly testing a lot of them to see if one wire (or the whole PSU) is completely dead. Unfortunately, a lot of PSUs have issues intermittently and others only show issues under a certain load threshold (a load % that will never be close to being met when using a PSU tester).

TinKelp posted:

Trying another motherboard is an option in theory. Not in practice with my limited resources. I don't have a spare motherboard lying around and I doubt I know anyone willing to let me strip their computer completely apart. Swapping expansion cards is one thing; the motherboard is another.

Another option is trying only one stick of RAM individually at a time. You passed memtest but that's not a 100% guarantee that the RAM is okay either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord

Zogo posted:

If it's only one year old it's probably okay.

It wasn't!

I swapped out the PSU with another and I haven't seen a shut down since. Thank you so much for helping me figure this out!

• Locked thread