Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hyped for Eupho, might check out IBO - though I still need to watch season 1 of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What's good about Haikyuu? All I know about it is that it's a Volleyball show and that people like its OPs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have never heard about Flip Flappers until this thread - what's its deal? Why might I want to take a look?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, "surreal, potentially gay, vaguely defined magical girl adventure" is what I'm getting out of the PV and the summary, I guess.

Eh, sure, I'll give it a shot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the director for flip flappers mostly done key animation before now, but he has credits for working on a ton of shows including an episode of gurren lagann (not episode 4), animation director for five episodes of dennou coil, and key animation for a letter to momo, the wind rises and evangelion 2.0. he also directed the episode of space dandy s2 where dandy gets stranded in a fishing village and befriends a little girl, where iirc he apparently did a ton of work on animating it himself

the animation director's also got pretty solid credits, working as a key animator on a bunch of shows including bakemonogatari, fujiko mine, half of mawaru penguindrum, madoka rebellion and even the same episode of space dandy. he's worked on a huge pile of stuff and not all of it is great, but the highlights of what he's worked on are definitely really stylish and beautiful.

Mm. Sounds pretty promising. I'll definitely give FF a look, then.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I assume Eupho 2 will be coming to Crunchy - what about Flip Flappers? Having a hard time finding out for sure.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Simulcast announcements usually only get made like days before the shows air, so.

Noted. Thanks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

She's also a rabbit because USA G.I.

...Oh my loving god.

...I can't decide whether this makes me decide to give Strike Witches a second shot or never touch it again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

it's a common pun they didn't come up with

Welp, never touching it again

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ooh. It'd be awesome if Disappearance makes its way there, too...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What about Tankery?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe it'll be bad enough that the asian community won't feel bad about getting whitewashed out of it any more.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Regardless of how GiTS turns out, it makes me think - has there ever been a hollywood adaptation of an anime that turned out any good? The only other thing I can even think of that's been adapted was DBZ, and, uh...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

edge of tomorrow was based on a light novel and was okay

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. The name change keeps throwing me off, when I even remember that movie exists.

Sharkopath posted:

you mean Live. Die. Repeat. now

I thought the original name was "All You Need Is Kill?"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the obvious main challenge in a hollywood anime adaptation is the simple fact that anime is a niche interest, particularly in the west, and niche products simply aren't often going to get the budget they need to bring on the kind of talent required to handle the challenges involved in adapting a TV show into a movie - even without the difference in art style.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xinder posted:

I never expected superhero movies to take off the way they did, but look at Marvel now.

At this point I feel like anything could be good if the people behind it actually care about it enough.

Yeah, Anime movies totally could become a thing, it's just going to have to meet the same challenge that comics did and have someone make a really loving good movie out of what probably won't be the easiest set of building blocks.

I'd kind of like to see someone try Gundam, someday.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Don't make fun of me, everybody else forgets G-Savior exists, too. :colbert:

But seriously, the right director could totally make 0079 or Zeta Gundam into a kickass hollywood movie or two.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xinder posted:

I saw Pacific Rim in theaters 3 times.

The thirst is real.

Words cannot express the joy I felt at seeing how much my dear old mother enjoyed that big dumb movie. :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

I would hope they don't Hollywood up the action scenes and make them colorless, too loud, and difficult to track. But I'm mostly just worried that this hypothetical gundam movie would go to Michael Bay.

That would be the tragedy. Although it would be morbidly, tragically funny to see Tomino react to a Michael Bay Gundam movie.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

what is the unit of measure for goon hype

...a goog?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The description sounds interesting enough. Dunno if I'll stick with it, but no reason not to give it a shot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Last Witch at glance kinda looks like a more straight faced and maybe more romantic Strike Witches. I'd be down for that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"I probated them all...not just the men. The women. And the children too! They posted like animals! And I banned them like animals!!!!"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In Training posted:

That's not really uncommon, even with a short series that tells a single overarching narrative like Madoka, each episode is still structured with narrative peaks and valleys and is edited to match the shorter run time. It's easier to enjoy a bunch of short films than it is to sit down and examine something for 2+ hours

Yeah. Compare any individual episode of Haruhi to, like, any of the middle 90 minutes of Disappearance.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm rather looking forward to checking out Izetta today.

Also, should I be starting to assume that Eupho S2 and Flip Flappers aren't coming to crunchyroll, or is it normal for the announcement to be later than this?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Hopefully Izetta had a meandering opening episode so I can post "sooo Izetta slow" and rack up the empty quotes

That whooshing sound you might have just heard was this one going right over my head.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Idle question, but has there been more homoeroticism flying around than usual this year, or am I just paying more attention? Just this year we've had Amanchu, Tanaka-kun, New Game, and I feel like there's something else I'm missing - with Izetta kicking off today, plus Eupho and Yuri!!! still to come.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i'm gonna say you probably read into it more than the average person

Distinct possibility. Although none of the shows I listed were particularly subtle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I haven't seen the show yet, but that map has Westlia matching Switzerlands borders exactly so...

I don't think they even touched the map - it looked like straight up Europe to me. Name changes appear to be for copyright purposes only.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Was attempting to word "it's literal Europe with just enough differences to help establish the series as fantasy" in a clever way. Failed miserably. :negative:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm rediscovering that waiting a week between episodes sucks way more when you're watching a drama than a comedy or romance. I really want to know how Izetta turns out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Roth posted:

I thought Izetta was ok. I must have missed the memo about the fantasy elements though.

...In a show called "Izetta, The Last Witch?"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shuumatsu no Izetta, with a historical setting and the way the show is introduced?

Ah, fair enough, hadn't thought about seeing the Japanese title first.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I thought they also had pictures?

If the Haruhi books I've read are any indication, you might as well classify the Harry Potter books as light novels for all the illustration involved.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I still have only a vague idea what this show is actually about, but this OP makes it look :krad:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is anyone period streaming Eupho 2 yet?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So is it safe at this point to assume that Eupho isn't getting simulcast tomorrow? Or is it common for those announcements to come on the day of?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

there's no hard and fast rule. anywhere from a full season in advance, to the day of, or even halfway through the season (like Lupin III earlier this year).

Mm. Anyone remember what Crunchy did with S1? I'd been assuming they'd get basically the same deal for S2.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What's so bad about Anime Network? lovely player? Or just being another thing trying to get a subscription fee outta you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, that show is incredibly sweet...

• Locked thread