Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Gonna check out Euphonium Season 2, March comes like a lion, Matoi, Udon, Keijo!!!!!!!!, Flip Flaperrs, Yuri on Ice, Nobunaga comedy, Tiger Mask W, All Out!!, Fune wo Amu, and Izetta. Tekyuu 8 too.

Mentions to the sequel series I won't be starting anytime soon, Natsume and Working!!

Erg posted:

not even a single drat exclamation point in that title smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Serious Frolicking posted:

keijo seems like the story of a girl who goes into the sex industry, passed through a filter a few times until the premise just barely becomes acceptable

It's nothing like that at all. You're way off mark.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chumbler posted:

I forbid the watching of Keijo!!! in shame.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

I want to see characters cry over their own inadequacies, and then get beyond them.

Ah, Gurren Lagann.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
As for a sports series, I enjoyed the first several Volumes of Real by Inoue.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

what's the deal with * Witches?

Strike witches is a cutesy girls show about soldiers fighting an alien menace. The titular Strike Witches is a division consisting of girls who all use magic, amplified by "brooms", those rocket legs you see in some of the promotional art.

The show has a lot of dumb fanservice, mostly contrived (The girls don't wear pants, when they use their magic, they manifest animal tails and ears, groping scenes, the camera will leer on their crotch and butt), but to be honest, it's not really any worse than fanservice shows nowadays like DxD, to love ru, etc.

It made sense that it got more flack back in the day when blatent fanservice series weren't as prevalent/ lewd as they are today. Especially once Zorak became mod.

I wouldn't recommend watching it, but you could do far worse.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Serious Frolicking posted:

i wish that show was better than it turned out to be

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Shokugeki doesn't count does it? Um....
Nothing. Never. Ever.
When I was little I avoided Prince of Tennis and Ultimate Muscle on 4Kids. Only watched Space Jam.
When I was older I was revolted by Free as a yaoi sellout.
Ping Pong being an Anime around Ping pong on first sight baffled me, because why is there an anime about Ping Pong?
Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, you name it, have never interested me, as they're about sports
Which I have despised since I was little (bad one-day experience with Soccer when I was five)

So yeah.
(Does that Water Polo Ecchi count?)

Like every genre ever, there are good and bad shows in said drama. You should listen to the people in this forum and explore anime outside of your comfort zone, it might make you grow a little.

Especially when you say poo poo like

quote:

I was revolted by Free as a yaoi sellout.

Which implies that you think that there's something fundamentally wrong with male fanservice and/or yaoi relationships (which the show doesn't even have the later, by the way).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

It's my honest opinion; why would you find it stupid?

Julias posted:

Like every genre ever, there are good and bad shows in said drama. You should listen to the people in this forum and explore anime outside of your comfort zone, it might make you grow a little.

Especially when you say poo poo like

quote:

I was revolted by Free as a yaoi sellout.

Which implies that you think that there's something fundamentally wrong with male fanservice and/or yaoi relationships (which the show doesn't even have the later, by the way).

Maybe you should read the legitimate criticisms people in this thread have thrown at you and not merely scoff at it and ignore it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Motto posted:

it's okay to not like things

This. Though please have an actual reason not to like a thing, lest you be like Grouchio.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

First I would like to say sorry for inciting violence and for having freudian reasons not to like sports anime.

Second I cannot seem to access profiles, messaging or the leper's colony on Firefox. What should I do?

You should just give a good sports series a chance. That's what we've all been trying to tell you and ask of you. Whether or not you like them after that, is up to you.

Erg posted:

someone think of a funny title for the keijo!!!!!!!! thread or it's going to be Fall's Greatest Assterpiece, Keijo!!!!!!!!

It's important that you include all 8 !'s, but this gets my vote.

Julias fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 22, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Sounds like it's trying to ape Gurren Lagann with all of the screw (drill) imagery, the intro that presents future events of a space battle, and a titular robot powered by said screw (drill). Whether or not this is intentional, is harder to say.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

"I probated them all...not just the men. The women. And the children too! They posted like animals! And I banned them like animals!!!!"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

That whooshing sound you might have just heard was this one going right over my head.

https://youtu.be/8u9gVr5IQvY

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you guys want to check out a bunch of the first eps for the season, Dogsicle is holding a stream in ~10 minutes. It should be fun!

http://cytu.be/r/wanwanime

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Having seen a bunch of the first eps now, here are my thoughts:
  • Nyanbo!: Cute looking short, but light on humor. Inoffensive, so I might check out some more.
  • Shuumatsu no Izetta: Slow first episode, but I enjoyed it. Politics!
  • Magical Girl Raising Project: I'm wary about this one. The first ep was mostly enjoyable, but the bit before the OP and the end of episode stinger makes it seem like this show is going to become grimdark, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely raises a huge red flag for me.
  • https://www.working As somebody who hasn't seen the previous seasons of Working!!, this had a few good gags, but it didn't quite hook me enough to stay interested. I still plan on watching previous seasons since I've heard great things, and I was told that this episode was kind of weaker than a typical episode would be, partially because it's focusing on setup of the new characters.
  • Tiger Mask W: Very Cheaply animated (Toei, what would you expect), super old school in style. It was somewhat entertaining, though.
  • Touken Ranbu -Hanamaru- : I enjoyed all of the character designs, and there were a few neat moments. It's hard to say where this show will go, though. I'll probably check out another episode, at least.
  • Time Bokan 24: What Dogsicle said. I'm not giving it the benefit of the doubt though. Don't watch this.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kytrarewn posted:

Sousei no Onmyouji

Really weird. You might remember that the big desire of the exorcist association was to breed a couple of 14 year old kids with one another because they suspect that the pairing will beget Jesus.

The two 14 year olds (now 16) discover a 6 year old kid in Magano (the unclean world that exists alongside the real world) and sort of adopt her by default, making her their kid. It's entirely clear that she's got special powers, is a genius, and is extremely pure and kind. They're hinting heavily that she's the Messiah-figure that the world is after, and that the two protagonists won't actually have to physically breed. This kid has been driving the plot for the entire cour, as the source of most of the tension and most of the "happy family" moments. This cour has also been much better than the last, clearly moving the plot along, introducing us to and fighting new strong adversaries, and introducing a new plot point by which the parallel world starts invading the real world in force and the only people who can close the dimensional breaches are our protagonists. Clearly, the kid's an important character who will be important to the overall plot.

But here's the kicker: (manga spoiler that I got on Reddit at the beginning of the season, haven't read it myself) It's all filler, and the young kid apparently doesn't even exist in the manga.

I think I'm more impressed than anything, honestly.

Since the beginning of the Anime, they've been throwing in filler and mixing it with the main plot. I haven't been watching the Anime, but I praise the staff for willing to do something different with the animation. It also gives people who only read the Manga a different take on it, so it should be entertaining for them too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

please do not talk about children "breeding"

That's badly phrased. It's just an "arranged marriage" of sorts, and not even really; it's just a prophecy that says those two people who hate each other will end up having a baby that will save the world.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Perhaps "Red Flag" is too strong of a phrase to describe Magical Girl Raising Project, as I still encourage people to check out the first ep!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a kitten posted:

Is anyone good streaming flip flappers yet?

It's streaming on Anime Network...so no.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Parallax posted:

Time Bokan has really good character and mech designs and there's dancing in the OP, A+

Too bad it's first episode is really unfunny.

At least it's not Kaiju Girls, which is unfunny and has virtually no budget or animation. It looks ugly in that cheap flash animation sort of way, where the effects just look janky and stock.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Parallax posted:

I thought parts of Time Bokan were funny but not the awful Cleo and Patra part

I hope it does more with its other historical figures than that

It could definitely turn it around in later episodes, but from the first ep, the only character I ceven remotely cared about/ found funny and interesting was Calen, who is hinted at as having an overarching plot of searching for somebody...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Parallax posted:

i'm watching time bokan for wacky and colorful history hijinks, not serious overarching plots

Yeah, that's what I said, none of the other characters were funny.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

I am Adolf Hitler

That's a permaban.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

StrixNebulosa posted:

So...is it ever explained in Strike Witches why the characters randomly pop out animal ears/tails?

It happens when the characters are using magic. As to why that is, your guess is as good as mine.

(The real answer is fanservice).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

StrixNebulosa posted:

- That's both more and less of what I was expecting from the season. I finished my Haikyuu watch so I'm really amped for the new season. :D

I would recommend Sound Euphonium as well, though it's season 2, meaning you would need to catch up on season 1.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chumbler posted:

When's Keijo!!!!!!!!?

It will air in Japan in a few hours.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

Knowing nothing about it I'm gonna assume strike witches is for creeps!

Only as much as any other Fanservice show like DxD, To Love Ru, or Monster Musume, you boob.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Even though It would have been nice to see the earlier chapters adapted, the anime did a fairly decent job of catching the viewer up to speed, and getting right into the heart of what makes Keijo!!!!!!!! rediculous. I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the next episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Not having read the manga, I have no idea where the story or characters go, but from the first episode of March Comes in like a Lion, I'm hooked. Beautiful visuals, great direction, and loveable characters. I also enjoyed the contrasts between the quick, high-energy moments and the mellow, drawn out moments.

I also enjoyed Poco's Udon World for pretty much the reasons Dogsicle described. It's very cute, pretty laid back, and has a super enjoyable show-within-the-show done in crayon about the Alien GaoGao wanting to take over the Earth! :kimchi: Be sure to stay after the credits to see it!

Long Riders is a cute show, but nothing much happens, and it feels like it's main aim is to serve as an introduction to biking. It's not really hilarious, but it's not offensive either. If you just want to shut off you brain and stare at cute things, this show is fine, but if you want more sustenance than that, I would recommend a lot of other slice of life shows before it. This show also has the same problem Bakuon!! did, using ugly CG for the bicycles.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

In Training posted:

This is on my "To Watch", tentatively. How is it? The last time I got interested in a girls riding bikes story I got burned (bakuon)

Julias posted:

Long Riders is a cute show, but nothing much happens, and it feels like it's main aim is to serve as an introduction to biking. It's not really hilarious, but it's not offensive either. If you just want to shut off you brain and stare at cute things, this show is fine, but if you want more sustenance than that, I would recommend a lot of other slice of life shows before it. This show also has the same problem Bakuon!! did, using ugly CG for the bicycles.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you haven't read Black Jack, I highly recommend it. It's probably my favorite Tezuka Manga series.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Alrighty so what's good so far?

Since nobody else mentioned it yet, Poco's Udon World had a pretty good first episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

darkgray posted:

It matters because I have to compile a loving list of all the "anime" every year. I'd like to have some kind of rule set in mind when I'm digging through titles. Saying "omg Japanese people worked on it!!" isn't enough, because that would include all the South Park and Spongebob dubs as well, because spoiler they have Japanese actors.

The puppet show was very much in Anime style, and it had a traditionally Anime Director. I think it's fine to include it on the list, since a lot of people liked it and it won't harm anything by being there.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

gonzo is under my protection

Mine too. They made one of my favorite Anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gyra_Solune posted:

this is as good a metric as any

namtab tell me the anime status of these things:

1) it's always sunny in philadelphia

2) war & peace

3) captain underpants

1)Not Anime

2)An entire LN series compiled into one book.

3)Manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gyra_Solune posted:

i will stand as the patron guard of Xebec, a studio that, looking at their works, seem to create a bunch of things i really really like more than anything else entirely on accident, and make a ton more things i couldn't give a toss about

Like Keijo!!!!!!!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012