Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

(First post in D&D; I apologize if this has been exhaustively covered elsewhere.)

I've been reading a lot of articles lately that take an extremely hostile tone towards the alt-right. Here's an example:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/palmer-luckey-alt-right

I lean extremely far to the left, so I don't care for the right in either its establishment or alt forms, but what I'm confused by is that the vibe I'm getting is that I should have some sort of special hatred for the alt-right. I admit I don't pay close attention to people like Milo, but my impression was that the alt-right was basically the same as the establishment right except targeted at younger people and loosened up on some social issues like LGBT rights and cannabis usage. If that impression is correct, then from my perspective on the left, the alt-right seems like a strict improvement over the establishment right, and I'd expect left-leaning sites like Gawker and Vice to also view this as a degree of progress. The tone I'm sensing from them, though, suggests an increase in hostility if anything.

I suppose this is probably just the natural consequence of an ultra-contentious election in which the Republican candidate is associated with the alt-right, but I wanted to make sure that my perception of the alt-right isn't wrong, and I figured that this is a good place to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Are you by any chance white and middle class?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A lot of "alt right" could be relabelled "white supremacist" or "misogynist" without factual error. They generally are more open on some social issues, but usually as a pose to attempt to legitimize other racist or sexist attacks.

For example, one of Milo's favorite tactics is to go on anti-Muslim rants with the pretext of complaining about, say, the Taliban's treatment of homosexuals, or the fact women can't drive in Saudi Arabia.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

MiracleWhale posted:

(First post in D&D; I apologize if this has been exhaustively covered elsewhere.)

I've been reading a lot of articles lately that take an extremely hostile tone towards the alt-right. Here's an example:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/palmer-luckey-alt-right

I lean extremely far to the left, so I don't care for the right in either its establishment or alt forms, but what I'm confused by is that the vibe I'm getting is that I should have some sort of special hatred for the alt-right. I admit I don't pay close attention to people like Milo, but my impression was that the alt-right was basically the same as the establishment right except targeted at younger people and loosened up on some social issues like LGBT rights and cannabis usage. If that impression is correct, then from my perspective on the left, the alt-right seems like a strict improvement over the establishment right, and I'd expect left-leaning sites like Gawker and Vice to also view this as a degree of progress. The tone I'm sensing from them, though, suggests an increase in hostility if anything.

I suppose this is probably just the natural consequence of an ultra-contentious election in which the Republican candidate is associated with the alt-right, but I wanted to make sure that my perception of the alt-right isn't wrong, and I figured that this is a good place to ask.

alt-right is better than alt-left because it takes you forward. alt-left is good for when you want to figure out what you did before, so typically historians and humanistics are alt-left- . the best is ctr-alt-delete though, cause then you get a fresh start.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

When I see a word like "alt-right" explode onto the scene out of nowhere Im going to assume theres a think tank pushing it, just like with "homicide bomber" back during the Iraq War days.

Trump is not doing as poorly among the youth as expected and those people were given a label. People among the youth of the left then proceed to fingerwag and publicly shame thier right leaning peers. Its politics as usual, the alt-right just seems more visible to us since the people who make it up are our peers in the greater social circle of the internet.

As for the increase in hostility, well, its easy to yell and shout about hanging the Koch Brothers or what have you but theyre extremely powerful people that cannot be touched. They are insulated from controversy because theyre mind-bogglingly wealthy and powerful. On the other hand a bunch of idiots making memes on 4chan are a target that left-leaning internet users can actually dunk on, so of course people are gonna get more aggressive if it seems like you can "win"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The alt right largely consists, as far as I can tell, of shut ins, socially isolated people and other assorted foreveralones.

I would say that the establishment right is definitely worse as they are an actual political force that has affected change.

Maybe one day the alt right will actually dictate policy but until then they're largely just sound and fury.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Are you by any chance white and middle class?

You have me pegged but I'm not trolling, just trying to get context for what's going on here.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A lot of "alt right" could be relabelled "white supremacist" or "misogynist" without factual error. They generally are more open on some social issues, but usually as a pose to attempt to legitimize other racist or sexist attacks.

For example, one of Milo's favorite tactics is to go on anti-Muslim rants with the pretext of complaining about, say, the Taliban's treatment of homosexuals, or the fact women can't drive in Saudi Arabia.

This is one thing I have noticed, for sure. I assumed that the approach was basically that they open up only on those social issues which have such overwhelming support that they have more to lose by opposing them.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MiracleWhale posted:

This is one thing I have noticed, for sure. I assumed that the approach was basically that they open up only on those social issues which have such overwhelming support that they have more to lose by opposing them.

Why are we assuming conspiratorial intent to these people? Maybe they are actually more open on these issues. Its entirely possible that these people are many "-ists" but also do not discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Meme Emulator posted:

Why are we assuming conspiratorial intent to these people? Maybe they are actually more open on these issues. Its entirely possible that these people are many "-ists" but also do not discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Mostly because they take opposite and contradictory positions in different contexts (for example, Milo is happy to encourage misogyny).

Of course the explanation then is that it's "just trolling", etc. End of the day the "actual" position(s) of any given self-professed member of the alt-right is somewhat immaterial; they're either horrible people or posing as such.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MiracleWhale posted:

Well yeah, you have answered your own question then.

The Alt-right is worse because they are advocating white nationalism and co-opting legitimate social criticism in an attempt to justify their own racist and nationalist ideas.

Like, who cares if someone advocates for marijuana rights if they also want all brown people deported. I also think to claim they support LGBT rights at all is laughable.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Both of those tactics were invented by liberals so its kind of tough to cry foul. The primary political objective of the alt-right seems to just be centered on freaking out the squares which I'd say they've broadly succeed at. Beyond that they're just boring old nationalists which is probably why they fight like cats and dogs with their millennial better halves--it's an incredibly low stakes and highly academic squabble between two sides who don't fundamentally disagree on anything. Even for an American presidential election the whole things feels staged.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spotlessd posted:

Both of those tactics were invented by liberals so its kind of tough to cry foul.

oh please go on

quote:

Beyond that they're just boring old nationalists which is probably why they fight like cats and dogs with their millennial better halves--it's an incredibly low stakes and highly academic squabble between two sides who don't fundamentally disagree on anything.

I would question calling the resurgence of racial violence and open calls for mass deportation and literal camps a "low stakes squabble"

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Meme Emulator posted:

An alternate way to look at it would be that, rather than there being any conspiratorial intent, the people selected as the mouthpieces of a movement kinda embody its zeitgeist. So it's less about people like Milo being insincere in their weird combination of progressive and regressive beliefs and more that the progressive beliefs they do hold are the ones that have such overwhelming support in society that even the socially conservative are being converted.

That said, I do think there's calculation happening too at least in the cases of Milo and Trump because they obviously delight in being professional trolls.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ddraig posted:

The alt right largely consists, as far as I can tell, of shut ins, socially isolated people and other assorted foreveralones.

I would say that the establishment right is definitely worse as they are an actual political force that has affected change.

Maybe one day the alt right will actually dictate policy but until then they're largely just sound and fury.

Fair point. I'd argue that they are a growing demographic and are starting to influence politics in meaningful ways -- Trump, this Oculus Rift guy, etc. -- but there's a chicken and egg thing going on there; without Trump this stuff would be getting a lot less attention.

You pose an interesting moral conundrum though. I'm not sure if a shitposting David Duke racist bigot is a "worse" person than the always polite Paul Ryan for example; I don't think Milo Yannopoulis has ever proposed legislation in Congress to abolish Medicaid and thus, in effect, murder hundreds of thousands of old people.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would question calling the resurgence of racial violence and open calls for mass deportation and literal camps a "low stakes squabble"

What resurgence of racial violence has been occurring lately outside of clashes between minorities and the police?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, who cares if someone advocates for marijuana rights if they also want all brown people deported.

Sure, but if the establishment right is against cannabis rights and wants brown people deported, it seems like we have undeniably gained a tiny amount of ground, even though the positions of the alt-right are still absurdly horrible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Meme Emulator posted:

What resurgence of racial violence has been occurring lately outside of clashes between minorities and the police?

Ask any Sikh you know. There has been a *dramatic* increase in hate crimes against them this year.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm not sure they're much worse to be honest. the GOP has been animated by white supremacy for 30 years now. hillary's campaign has certainly figured out by now that trying to paint non-Trump Rs as great guys who we should work with has not been a great success

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/us/politics/hate-crimes-american-muslims-rise.html

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

You pose an interesting moral conundrum though. I'm not sure if a shitposting David Duke racist bigot is a "worse" person than the always polite Paul Ryan for example; I don't think Milo Yannopoulis has ever proposed legislation in Congress to abolish Medicaid and thus, in effect, murder hundreds of thousands of old people.

This is the attitude that I just don't understand. I dont feel like theres a moral conundrum here at all, the "worse" person is the person with power who can follow through on thier plans, 100 percent of the time. Actions carry so much more weight than speech, especially in an era of mass media where every single person in the country can shout out thier opinions for the entire world to hear and also no longer relying on a curator like a network television company to pick and choose the opinions presented to them and only broadcast the ones the oligarchs agree with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Actions carry so much more weight than speech,

Speech is what motivates action. Normalizing open white nationalism in discourse makes it more likely for white nationalism to actually happen in governance.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MiracleWhale posted:

It could be that they are more Islamophobic than homophobic or misogynist. Ranting about women not being able to drive in Saudi Arabia is more about Saudi Arabia than about women. Driving is also a more basic thing than, say, concessions on how advertisements affect standards of beauty.

Someone's prejudices don't have to all be equally intense to still be prejudices. Denying gays the right to marry is less homophobic than public execution, but it's still homophobia.

It could also be a form of deflecting criticism. What, me, sexist, for the poo poo I said about Sarkeesian? But look at Saudi Arabia! They don't even let women drive!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speech is what motivates action. Normalizing open white nationalism in discourse makes it more likely for white nationalism to actually happen in governance.

This is the other attitude I have trouble understanding. How is the alt-right normalizing anything? White nationalism has been the status quo for a very, very long time. Thier existance is no more dangerous than the existence of white nationalism at any other point in US history. Did I miss something? Did we become a post-racial society when Obama was elected and now we are teetering on the brink of losing it again?

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

oh please go on

Let me tell you about a little place called Israel, the only democracy in the Middle East,

quote:

Its low stakes for the people actually squabbling. Picture Molly Crabapple hanging out with Weev and how much sense that makes and you get an idea of what any of this actually amounts to for either of them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
As far as I can tell, alt-right just means non-religious rightists.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

quote:

Reagan also trumpeted his racial appeals in blasts against welfare cheats. On the stump, Reagan repeatedly invoked a story of a “Chicago welfare queen” with “eighty names, thirty addresses, [and] twelve Social Security cards [who] is collecting veteran’s benefits on four non-existing deceased husbands. She’s got Medicaid, getting food stamps, and she is collecting welfare under each of her names. Her tax-free cash income is over $150,000.” Often, Reagan placed his mythical welfare queen behind the wheel of a Cadillac, tooling around in flashy splendor. Beyond propagating the stereotypical image of a lazy, larcenous black woman ripping off society’s generosity without remorse, Reagan also implied

another stereotype, this one about whites: they were the workers, the tax payers, the persons playing by the rules and struggling to make ends meet while brazen minorities partied with their hard-earned tax dollars. More directly placing the white voter in the story, Reagan frequently elicited supportive outrage by criticizing the food stamp program as helping “some young fellow ahead of you to buy a T-bone steak” while “you were waiting in line to buy hamburger.” This was the toned-down version. When he first field-tested the message in the South, that “young fellow” was more particularly described as a “strapping young buck.” The epithet “buck” has long been used to conjure the threatening image of a physically powerful black man often one who defies white authority and who lusts for white women. When Reagan used the term “strapping young buck,” his whistle shifted dangerously toward the fully audible range. “Some young fellow” was less overtly racist and so carried less risk of censure, and worked just as well to provoke a sense of white victimization.

It's frankly pathetic and gross watching elite liberals try to rehabilitate the pre-Trump GOP

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

icantfindaname posted:

i'm not sure they're much worse to be honest. the GOP has been animated by white supremacy for 30 years now. hillary's campaign has certainly figured out by now that trying to paint non-Trump Rs as great guys who we should work with has not been a great success

Well there's also religious fundamentalism, who are usually far less racial and have been very open to working with black and hispanic churches in the past to stop stuff like gay marriage

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

White nationalism has been the status quo for a very, very long time.

Either we are working with very different definitions of white nationalism or very different interpretations of American governance

icantfindaname posted:

It's frankly pathetic and gross watching elite liberals try to rehabilitate the pre-Trump GOP

institutionalized racism and white nationalism are not synonyms

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

Well there's also religious fundamentalism, who are usually far less racial and have been very open to working with black and hispanic churches in the past to stop stuff like gay marriage

white southern fundamentalists: Definitely Not Racist. please consider the large number of black and hispanic people we closely associate as being part of the GOP and the fundie evangelical movement

icantfindaname posted:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 24, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Meme Emulator posted:

This is the attitude that I just don't understand. I dont feel like theres a moral conundrum here at all, the "worse" person is the person with power who can follow through on thier plans, 100 percent of the time. Actions carry so much more weight than speech, especially in an era of mass media where every single person in the country can shout out thier opinions for the entire world to hear and also no longer relying on a curator like a network television company to pick and choose the opinions presented to them and only broadcast the ones the oligarchs agree with.

Well, I'm not saying you're wrong. You've got a strong argument.

For one perspective, though, it might depend on whether we're arguing about "worse for the country" or "worse individual people morally."

For the latter calculation, intent matters. An intentional deliberate bigot throwing gasoline and a lit match onto a Sikh in a turban is at least arguably morally worse than Paul Ryan proposing legislation that will indirectly ] kill a bunch of old people through lack of medical care, especially if Ryan honestly believes that the legislation he's proposing will help people by encouraging the free market.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think saying the alt-right is codifying engrained racism into a political ideology that is dangerously nationalistic is not trying to rehabilitate the old GOP or deny that the old GOP have been explicitly creating and profiting from racism for generations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

institutionalized racism and white nationalism are not synonyms

Which of those do you think giving rally speeches about strapping young bucks stealing your hard-earned tax dollars counts as?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think saying the alt-right is codifying engrained racism into a political ideology that is dangerously nationalistic is not trying to rehabilitate the old GOP or deny that the old GOP have been explicitly creating and profiting from racism for generations.

You're 40 years late dude. Nothing in the alt-right platform hasn't been floating around the GOP base for decades. The only difference is they're dropping the plausible deniability scheme

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 25, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yeah. It's important to remember that this kind of hate-spewing we're seeing right now is not "just trolling" etc. It actually gets people killed.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Either we are working with very different definitions of white nationalism or very different interpretations of American governance

Ive been out of the internet arguing game for a while and slipped up, I meant supremacy and institutionalized racism.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Which of those do you think giving rally speeches about strapping young bucks stealing your hard-earned tax dollars counts as?

How does that count as white nationalism?

White nationalism is about the complete purgation of all races except for whites in the bid to create a society constructed solely for the glorification and protection of the state as an institution.

Fostering racial prejudice to maintain a system of economic segregation is indefensible and unquestionably unethical but its not white nationalism and its not "rehabilitating" the old GOP to say there is a difference.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
If I were running Hillary Clinton's campaign I would do everything I could to get the voter to associate Donald Trump with 4chan, Stormfront, etc. I've spent some time on /pol/ in the past few years and they are some of the worst people in existence.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive been out of the internet arguing game for a while and slipped up, I meant supremacy and institutionalized racism.

Well yeah then I totally agree with you there.

The GOP (and the US at large) has always been about white supremacy and institutionalized racism

what scares me about the alt-right is how they are codifying it into explicit white nationalism.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This seems to be the point where the right wing, once again, admits that they're interested in fascism or whatever label you'd like for brutal, warmongering authoritarianism. They hate foreigners, they hate minorities, they hate the Jews, and they want to go to war in the name of race and nationalism. This happened about a century ago and now it's happening again. But with dank memes instead of Hugo Boss uniforms. If the Hitler Youth had the internet, this is what they'd look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Doredrin posted:

If I were running Hillary Clinton's campaign I would do everything I could to get the voter to associate Donald Trump with 4chan, Stormfront, etc. I've spent some time on /pol/ in the past few years and they are some of the worst people in existence.

Okay but won't you feel kind of foolish when he wins

• Locked thread