Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

Well show me research that thats better then a two parent home.

loving on the side a lot is a really common feature of the two parent home historically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

So the edgy communists best response is. "Well some people cheat".

More like most of em.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

Whatever Doctor House told you must be right.

Having mistresses was pretty much the thing to do as a married man back in the day. You said that was bad for children.

Meanwhile Jesus 'hitler' Christ is laughing to the bank as loveless marriages held together by children become abusive quite often.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

So now all marriages are abusive as well Ah to be a communist edgelord.

It's good to have a window into the Islamic State.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Guy TT posted:

No kidding. I really don't get why leftists (or liberals or progressives or whatever we're calling ourselves) think this is at all a constructive line of attack. The worst of it is that it's so obviously unprovable. So I'm an rear end in a top hat? Maybe you're right that's a very subjective appraisal. So I'm a virgin? Ha ha what a moron I know for a fact that I have regular sex so I can now freely intuit that everything else you say is full of poo poo too.

Besides that if we're really identifying "lack of high school sex" as the problem that's not something that can be laid at the feet of the right wing. The dip in sexually active teens/twenty-somethings is a recent phemonenon that came at the end of a decades long trend of extramarital sex being normalized. And it has been normalized- the very same people who report having significantly less sex than the Baby Boomers are also much more open-minded than they are when it comes to acceptable sexual practices, they just don't seem all that motivated to put those beliefs into practice.

It would not surprise me that there's less extramarital sex today than back in the day because people do not get into marriage unless they think they can keep it up, whereas people in the old days tended to feel forced into marriages because the culture demanded it more which resulted in more infidelity.

This is probably not a bad outcome for anyone unless you're loving retarded.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WampaLord posted:

How is the alt-right "accessible?" They tend to live in safe space bubbles online, only venturing out to harass others on Twitter.

Yeah the alt-right is the kind of movement that pops up because on the internet you create your own intellectual world and have no need to engage others seriously.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Guy TT posted:

That's my general impression too. Bear in mind, though, I think there's a pretty significant distinction between "reprehensible moron" and "literal Neo-Nazi", which appears to be the main reason for disagreement here.

They're not literal neo nazis, they just believe that cultures must be strictly separated to be preserved and that mosques don't belong on streets with white people's houses.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
To be fair i said nazi poo poo in high school cause it made people mad. See: badly drawn swastikas in the bathroom

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Baronjutter posted:

If you made a joke that offended someone, it's good to just apologize even if you don't understand why they're offended or think they're over-reacted. You can have a polite conversation on the topic, but not an argument about how they didn't get it or can't take a joke.

A while ago I made some 9/11 related joke, mostly with people I know pretty well but a few people didn't didn't know as well. One person told me, in a fairly non-adversarial way, that jokes like that on subjects like that make them a bit uncomfortable. I said that's perfectly understandable, there's a lot of subjects I don't like jokes or dark humor about (like rape, sexism) and apologized. Everything was fine, but I felt bad afterwards that I had made a bad impression on this new person or made them uncomfortable.

It's good that unless you know everyone around you pretty well and the humour they're ok with, not to make jokes or comments that people might find offensive, and if someone is, don't get ridiculously defensive and make it worse.

Sorry, having a filter is self-censorship and not cool.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Guy TT posted:

...I can't even tell if this is sarcastic or not. On the one end this is the stand-up comedy tradition going back to Lenny Bruce and George Carlin, and I'd always been under the impression that this was considered liberal humor. But on the modern end apparently Jerry Seinfeld is now considered too extreme for most college campuses (and you can completely forget about guys like Chris Rock), so honestly, I really just don't know.

Reading this thread you'd think literally the only thing alt-right people do all day is jack off to Holocaust jokes. Maybe I'm just a crypto-fascist but that strikes me as kind of unlikely. But even if it is true, I still consider that preferable to the establishment right, who spend their time doing constructively terrible things.

Yes, i'm being sarcastic.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The notion that the internet has places with undecided spectators is kinda silly because people go on the internet either to fight their ideological enemies or chill with their ideological allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It doesn't follow that because fascists recruit losers, all losers must become fascists, anymore than all bricks must become part of crematoriums.

As the Nazis improved their electoral success, the Communists did as well- the newly unemployed especially in the cities actually flocked to the KPD rather than the Nazis. The thing is, since the government was ruling by decree at that time and the rulers were arch-conservatives(Bruning, Papen), there was no chance for the KPD to improve their political position.

• Locked thread