Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheImmigrant posted:

The morbid fascination with cuckoldry by a bunch of basement-dwelling incel shut-ins could keep an army of psychoanalysts busy for ages.

I agree, the alt-right's obsession with cuckoldry and miscegenation is something that really needs examination by psychologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spotlessd posted:

Maybe they just resent liberal pathologizing of any and all dissent, which incidentally is a project largely undertaken by people with no actual insight one way or the other. One of the most active threads on this forum is 81 pages of the most infantile made up bullshit that serves no purpose other than to develop a jargon to classify and taxonomize all the different badthinks. It's the very definition of armchair "academic politics". You'd think the broad failure of progressive strategy at the level "uhhh well old people will just die and then there won't be any more problems" would engender like a shred of self-awareness and some sense of opposition to neoliberalism being mandatory to left politics but here we are~

I'd really like to know what sort of perfectly valid dissent is being unfairly pathologized by the no-true-leftists? Racial? Sexual? Religious?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

^^This derail is stupid and I'm not replying to you unless you post an actual useful study backing up your argument instead of childish insults.

In all fairness people on our side do this too. Just last week there was this big harassment campaign against a woman because she was the girlfriend of a guy who donated ten grand to a project to make anti-Hillary billboards. The only explanation I can come up as to why both sides do this is because it's much easier to lash out in rage against an accessible person on twitter rather than the Waltons, who live on a literal guarded compound.

And that much is why I personally prefer the alt-right to the establishment right. The alt-right is accessible and can be called out on their bullshit in ways the establishment right can't be. Yeah, you have to take a shower afterwards, but to me, knowing the truth is infinitely preferable to watching the media pretend like Marco Rubio is a sensible moderate when his platform is almost completely identical to Trump's.

Maybe we both have radically different definitions of the alt-right, but if anything I've found the alt-right a lot less approachable or open to conversation. Vocal white nationalism isn't exactly preferable to those of us that aren't white, and despite how people talk about them being more accepting of gays and lesbians they're really vicious towards trans people.

And let's not forget that special brand of misogyny they tend to brandish, blaming women for ruining marriage, being sluts, and not being cut out for real work.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm just not seeing how the alt-right being more open, direct, and (in comparison to the corporate or libertarian type Republicans) visceral with their bigotry makes them somehow more palatable, especially to minorities. A lot of them go well past just dropping dog-whistles to being well to the right of the GOP establishment.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Saying that the alt-right is made up of angry young white men - angry because they have no prospects - is not just making fun of them because they can't get laid.

These are the guys harassing feminists online, complaining about what women are like today, posting on /pol/ about Jews, and so on.

They are incel failsons, and that's why they're alt-righters. They feel the table is tilted and the game is rigged, and it is, but not in the way they think. Right wingers are usually just smart enough to know things are not as they should be but not smart enough to be able to figure out why.

I don't really get those of you saying that saying they can't get laid is not a good "line of attack" or whatever. Who cares? We're not debating them ITT; we're talking about them. Don't assume people would use the same language when actually debating a person as they would when discussing them.

Yeah, the point isn't to attack or accuse them, it's to discuss how a failure of socialization has combined with an overall economic downturn to create a sizeable demographic of socially disaffected men that have taken to congregating in places like 4chan and Reddit, and now blame various minorities for their problems.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

Let's get real here: if these people were given an iota of power, they would abuse it to hurt others. It's one thing to look at people's situations, and then talk about how context created that person. And sure, their lives probably aren't that great, their frustrations are real, as are the frustrations of all people who want to live a simple life, and cannot. But whatever sympathy that garners them, goes out the loving window as soon as they start blaming people weaker than them, and start dreaming horrid fantasies of mass death and oppression. You can't treat them with kid gloves, you have to hit them where it hurts.

We, random strangers in the rest of society, are not their therapist, and the first and foremost objective is to protect the people they could hurt.

Yeah, I can't say I find it easy to sympathize with people that go out of their way to throw racial and sexual slurs at me and people like me, and openly talk and fantasize about crushing and driving out the untermenschen that have sullied the purity of their once great country, whatever their hardships. It sucks that they're suffering, but that doesn't excuse their reaction to it.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, the racist and sexual slurs alt-right types have flung at me seemed pretty sincere, but maybe I'm just not understanding the fourth dimensional chess they're playing.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sethex posted:

Jokes about the Holocaust lead to holocaust, got it.

That image is funny, sadly I'm not educated enough in being a decent person to understand how this image will lead to genocide:
http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/156060.jpg

"Racist jokes aren't actually racist, even if minorities feel they are," says local white guy.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sethex posted:

Hah cute theory based entirely on your imagination, whose purpose is to justify your opinion.

Subset of demographic offended, ban what offended them. #authoritarianleft

Who said anything about banning? You're the guy insisting racist jokes and the people that make them aren't at all racist, nuh uh, no way, it's just a joke like on Top Gear. Some leftist you are.

Criticism of speech is censorship! #JustAltRightThings

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 30, 2016

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If there's one thing I'm getting from this thread, it's that white people really feel the need for safe spaces to shield themselves from hurtful criticism, and the alt-right is evidently that safe space.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Wasn't McDowell basically cogent at some point in time, or am I misremembering things?

He used to be coherent and possibly sane, but he's since descended into schizophrenic drivel. Why people still respond to him is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

Apparently InfoWars is declaring jihad against Assange.

And here I thought they were both on the same side.

• Locked thread