Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Does everyone vaguely agree that somethingawful helped start the alt right? It feels like there was a distinct trend of posting "ironic" racism and sexism that slowly attracted people that held the same opinions but for real that then spun off into several external sites that held the 'ironic' values in real life.

Like 4chan seems like it was directly born from "we read fyad now we want to post this stuff for real instead of just posting it as a joke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PupsOfWar posted:

I think this is undeniable, particularly given things like SA being the epicenter of Gamergate.

SA feels like it has a segment of people that seem like they are maybe actually ironic posting then a lot of GBS threads where you can tell people are just inheriting the language FYAD used and just mean it now, then all the sites spun off seem to lack even pretending it's ironic. (Fyad had plenty of 4real bigotry too but it's the one place that when people said it was just role play I kinda accepted it as sometimes the truth)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Both Alt. Right Not-Nazis and The Animarxist LF SJW Left?

that's a lot on Lowtax's conscience

A forum that was popular with college students in the early 2000s spawned a bunch of new internet based political movements 10 years later? That doesn't seem shocking.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Only in the sense that antibiotics helped cause antibiotic resistance. The mod team here has consistently stomped that poo poo down hard, and as a result we're the largest internet forum I'm aware of that isn't thoroughly infested with racism and misogyny.

One of the subreddits right now is named "FYAD: High school girls are posting naked photos to tumblr and loving black guys right now" and the top post in that forum is just the word "hitler".

And I do get it, fyad is a parody, it's one of the only things like that I honestly think the people are mostly just joking, but GBS often follows that lead and doesn't really "get" the joke and just posts the opinions, then by page 3 of every "ironic" sexism/racism/whatever thread it's always just people actual posting actual things they think. GBS couldn't go a day without talking about "troons" or "trannies" or chinese people or feminists or whatever.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll admit I haven't read gbs/fyad in years but overall I think SA does a much better job fighting this problem than any other comparable internet forum.

I feel like somethingawful provided the framework more than it provided the racists. I think early 2000s ironic shock humor set up an environment to attract and gather people that felt less ironic about the stuff everyone was ironically saying. And it shaped a particular generation of people that were going to be bigots either way into specific channels. Stuff flowed from satire to catch phrase to just... a thing people say and think. But not necessarily the same person on each of the three steps.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 27, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I think you guys might be vastly overestimating the influence SA has had. Maybe 5-10 years ago SA had some sort of pull or weight in "internet culture" but it didn't start the loving alt-right. Everything bad on the internet starts on sites like 4chan and reddit now, places with actual large and growing communities.

I am absolutely talking about 10-15 years ago, shock humor morphing from funny people saying crazy stuff to shake up the squares into people taking up those causes as actual causes to actually believe but talking about it in identical language. A thing that happened over the last decade.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

computer parts posted:

I severely doubt there wasn't at least a significant portion of shock humor that's just "I'm saying what I want and let's laugh at those liberals melting down over it".

Absolutely, There is humor and satire in being the first person to say a thing that is taboo. Agree with what you are saying or not. I think after that happens things tend to be repeated by less funny people, then become a catchphrase, then a slogan, then the slogan of people that actually think that thing, then work to build an environment people can say actually awful things in public because they can slip in and out of "I was joking!" when they are telling the same joke 300 other people are but they mean it and that builds up communities of people using the language created by people that probably were just saying whatever.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

I also theorize that this alt-right thing might just be a big "phase" for a lot of these young men, like how SA was extremely libertarian for a while and then the userbase aged out of it. Maybe when they get jobs and wives and poo poo like that they won't be as concerned about trolling folks online.

I feel like libertarianism can be a transitional state for a teen with a conservative background. It's rejecting a bunch of the arbitrary rules of the religious side of conservatism and saying "everything would be fair if we treated everyone the same". And it kinda does seem like it'd work if everyone was a grey featureless blob with the same background and same opportunities. And it's only when you see we live in a sin cursed world that already has inequalities and random events and different wants and backgrounds that you find out why it wouldn't be a good solution.

Like there is a clear path through libertarianism to liberalism if you are raised conservative. There feels like there is less a transition from alt-right to anything. Except by abandoning it and just doing something else entirely.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

How did the alt right thread become a discussion on marriage and children?

The alt-right love of the word "cuck"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Literally any leftist forum or twitter group I've seen has had the same markers of social maladjustment and alienation that some people seem to think is what's engendering the nu right.

It makes sense that would be the case. There is a large section of the youth in America that are legitimately going to live their entire life never getting even close to the standard of living their parents had. Of course that is going to develop into competing theories on what caused it and how to fix it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

rudatron posted:

The 'they just do it for the shock' line is 100% bullshit, it is sincere, you become what you pretend to be. They may claim insincerity, but that is solely because they aren't quite yet ready to admit it, or they hope to trip people up by claiming that. They're not being honest, they just pulling the usual sociopathic trick of denying reality, telling the same lie long enough, in the hopes that people believe. And evidently, by the posts of some itt, some people do.

I think most people really do laugh at shock stuff. There being an actual movie called "gay niggers from outerspace" is so absurd and unexpected and awful it's funny. I think the concept of shock humor is a real thing. But being shock requires novelty, looking up and seeing that movie exists once is funny and shocking, once you have talked about it for more than a few minutes it's no longer a shock and you are just talking about it legitimately. I think shock humor is a real thing but people use it as a cover, once you have spent more than a half an hour or so on any topic you are no longer doing it out of shock, shock is long worn off.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

It's not really extreme language when it's accurate.

The alt right does include literal nazis, literal rape apologists, literal slavery apologists, literal scum of the earth by any sane definition.

And I really don't see why the hypothetical "moderate" racists, misogynists, and fascists really need the kindness of not being lumped in with the rest of them. They're all twats.

I think there is kinda a default in society that maybe white men actually are the best but that you aren't supposed to say that. I think a lot of people have soured on real KKK hate stuff, but that it's still a pretty extreme view in america to really actually think black women are as good at things as white men are, instead of the mild belief that it's polite to not be too mean about it when you "tell it like it is". Like most people in the US view racism as "being rude about it" instead of thinking the stuff in the first place, which is generally felt to be nonspecifically and vaguely true.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mc Do Well posted:

The real issue here is one of social darwinism. A decent proportion of humans are 'losers' who should not reproduce and should die ASAP.

Let me guess: you are able to judge which people are worthy and which should "die ASAP".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mc Do Well posted:

I can only judge myself, but not wanting to exist is a sign of Next Level consciousness. The social darwin program must be overcome by an individual - and it seems to me one way of doing that is accept your own disposability and mortality.

Alt-righters, like most other ethnic factions, take the attitude that some 'other' is the loser and needs to die ASAP. It seems to me the Next Level's mission of Truth is demonstrated in the opposite position that I am the loser and want to die ASAP. Accepting the impermanence of this flesh and this time might put you in their keeping.

This seems like an extraordinarily poorly thought out suicide cult. Once all the enlightened once kill themselves the world will be better because all the losers will be left on earth to run it without the capital N, capital L "next level" people?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Who What Now posted:

Just make a thread about your suicide cult already so you can be contained.

Is he posting about suicide so much because he's gonna hurt himself? Should someone call someone? He seems to be justifying his own suicide in like multiple threads right now using weird panic seeming word salad.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

on the left posted:

Private schools and entrance to gifted and talented programs usually use something like an IQ test.

No they don't. In the US they use the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test. Which is "something like an IQ test" in that it has similar styles of questions with patterns of boxes and mental rotations and stuff but is definitely not a test that measures or gives an IQ score.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

the idea is that a lot of alt-right stuff comes from people who are angry online about various problems in their life.

Which is just some weird macho sexism and a weird thing to try and shame people for not loving enough pussies to be cool or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, Japan's demographic problems have less to do with anime and more to do with a combination of their economic situation (where it's very difficult for a single guy to afford to live alone, much less support a family) and the fact that women are generally not able to maintain a career and be married at the same time due to Japan having some of the worst gender discrimination (in the workplace, at least) in the world.

Also it's like 90% just them being very well off. College educated well off people around the world have less children at later ages. Japan is very well educated and very low poverty. It's not really "no one has sex!" Beyond that being a novelty headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mans posted:

Alt = Neo
Right = Nazi

Nah, that isn't correct. A lot of neo nazis are alt right but they aren't synonyms. The alt right seems to have it's own home grown set of bigotries that intersect with nazi stuff in a lot of places but also have it's own whole set of garbage that didn't grow up out of nazism.

• Locked thread