Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

WHOOPS posted:

like, it was a great season that was fun to watch up to the NFCCG but it's hardly outrageous to feel disappointed in a Super Bowl opportunity being blown on a bad decision. Those aren't inconsistent feelings.

its outrageous to expect a superbowl when you have a life time of evidence telling you not to, yeah. or at the very least insanely entitled. and thats the alternative, theres no playoff loss that doesnt suck so if you want to not be disappointed in the playoffs all you have is winning the superbowl.

but i think im getting to the point where id just be arguing taste anyway so imma drop it esp considering its the taste of people who eat hotdish :yikes:

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BUG JUG posted:

I went and picked up my first ever Vikings jersey from the MoA the week of the Packer's game. Wanted Thielen (because he's the only player from my alma mater in the NFL), all they had was Treadwell. :(

He's a white player in Minnesota. His jersey will be everywhere soon.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Ghost Dog posted:

its outrageous to expect a superbowl when you have a life time of evidence telling you not to, yeah. or at the very least insanely entitled. and thats the alternative, theres no playoff loss that doesnt suck so if you want to not be disappointed in the playoffs all you have is winning the superbowl.

but i think im getting to the point where id just be arguing taste anyway so imma drop it esp considering its the taste of people who eat hotdish :yikes:

The Vikings are what the Red Sox used to be, the team that is always just short of a championship. They've never had decade long droughts.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Bradford is doing really well....but with Bradford I always think that hes one hit away from being out for the season again.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Ghost Dog posted:

The problem is that a superbowl is pretty much the white whale for Vikings fans so every time the team comes close but misses out in an inexplicably hosed up way (i.e. every loving time) it kind of tears a strip off your ability to be rational and content.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Vando posted:

The problem is that a superbowl is pretty much the white whale for Vikings fans so every time the team comes close but misses out in an inexplicably hosed up way (i.e. every loving time) it kind of tears a strip off your ability to be rational and content.

This and also it's the stupidest thing maybe ever to go "you guys haven't won one, how can you be mad about not winning one?".

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's cool to not win

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

i disagree that a playoff loss can't feel more disappointing compared to others but i didn't read the start of the conversation close enough to see where you were getting the idea of expecting a Super Bowl came from. I don't think that was his (or any Viking fan's) actual mindset but that's for him to defend. I just don't feel it's unreasonable to think of 09 as being a bigger let down than other playoff years because it's hard not to think "if only", which is a different from considering the season a success or failure.

quote:

:rolleye:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Edit: whoops

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It's the difference between getting to the playoffs and being a contender in them...

I was a bit down when the Foles wagon lost its wheels against the Saints but it wasnt too bad as there was no way we were getting past the other guys in that bracket...

What sucked more was the loss to the Cards in 09 as I still feel we could have beaten the Steelers in the superbowl...

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

CyberPingu posted:

It's the difference between getting to the playoffs and being a contender in them...

I was a bit down when the Foles wagon lost its wheels against the Saints but it wasnt too bad as there was no way we were getting past the other guys in that bracket...

What sucked more was the loss to the Cards in 09 as I still feel we could have beaten the Steelers in the superbowl...

Or the stretch of 4 straight years where Philly lost in the NFCCG or the SB.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

I luckily didnt start watching the NFL until 2006. But going back and watching those games, also living with a Pats fan who had the 4 games to glory dvd, SUUUUUUCKED

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

please trigger warning that

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Cavauro posted:

it's cool to not win

sometimes your team doesnt win And Thats Not Ok. Living Hell Since 1999

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 5, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chichevache posted:

He's a white player in Minnesota. His jersey will be everywhere soon.

Not only that but he's from Minnesota and went to school here.

Also the blame for 2009 rests on Nafahu loving Tahi for running into the huddle despite nobody telling him that he needed to be on the field, which pushed the Vikings back far enough that they didn't feel comfortable just running the ball and kicking a field goal.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

Junior Seau was our last

jesus christ I nearly spit out soda all over my keyboard

and honest to god spit take

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also compare 2009 with last season, where even though the Vikings Blair Walshed their way out of the playoffs in extremely Vikings fashion most fans felt it was a fair achievement for where the team was at.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Febreeze posted:

Junior Seau was our last

:holymoley:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Stop the Season! Sam Bradford is the NFL MVP! according to Peter King http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/05/sam-bradford-minnesota-vikings-mvp-nfl-mailbag

A poor man's Buffalo Bills if you will.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NotWearingPants posted:

Stop the Season! Sam Bradford is the NFL MVP! according to Peter King http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/05/sam-bradford-minnesota-vikings-mvp-nfl-mailbag

A poor man's Buffalo Bills if you will.

Imagine a poor man's Buffalo Bills fan having to resort to slamming their friends onto overturned cardboard boxes and doing elbow drops off of overturned shopping cards

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kalli posted:

Imagine a poor man's Buffalo Bills fan having to resort to slamming their friends onto overturned cardboard boxes and doing elbow drops off of overturned shopping cards

So CZW then

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Kalli posted:

Imagine a poor man's Buffalo Bills fan having to resort to slamming their friends hitchhiking robots onto overturned cardboard boxes and doing elbow drops off of overturned shopping carts

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
kyle rudolph not practicing with rib and clavicle injuries, wouldn't talk to reporters about it

stop dying vikings

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dubious posted:

kyle rudolph not practicing with rib and clavicle injuries, wouldn't talk to reporters about it

stop dying vikings

No, this is good. Your whole offense can die, but Bradford and the defense will drag them to the playoffs anyway. Sign Justin Forsett and Kellen Winslow Jr. Trade for Joe Thomas. Somehow get Justin Blackmon back in. In 2025 I want to be watching a movie called "The Redeemed" starring Rico Rodriguez as Sam Bradford, Super Bowl LI MVP.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

FIVE!! AND!! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!

:toot:

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
i can't wait till the Eagles kick our rear end or whatever

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
5-0!

:toot: :woop:

Adam Thielen is also now good

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Beatin' up on bad teams and I don't even care, feels good yo. I'm Billy Bob in this https://youtu.be/-aQFAz8t8yc

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Dubious posted:

5-0!

:toot: :woop:

Adam Thielen is also now good
Look at this

Now think about the video of all of the dropped passes in Philly last year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Darth Brooks posted:

Look at this

Now think about the video of all of the dropped passes in Philly last year.

Reminder, prior to Philly the greatest receiver Bradford had was probably Brian "I forgot he used to play and is apparently back now?" Quick.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

It's been really cool to follow Thielen's development over the past few years from random local camp body to special teams standout to productive slot guy.

To passable #1 receiver apparently?

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I would just like to say that the Vikings are both cool and good.

And that they will win the super bowl.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm here to admit my negativity on bradford was overblown but I still don't think he is worth a first

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Metapod posted:

I'm here to admit my negativity on bradford was overblown but I still don't think he is worth a first

Oh he absolutely is

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Thielen's development has been impressive. I thought he would peak as Chris Walsh 2.0, but he has developed into a legitimate 2nd or 3rd receiver. The early bye came at a good time, it gives the offense a chance to get healthy and Sparano more time to work on the OL. It's been better the past two games, but the run blocking is still atrocious and Clemmings can't handle speed rushes at LT. They are working out Jake Long and some other FA OL this week, because they desperately need offensive tackle depth.

The compensation for Bradford was expensive, but if he continues to play at a high level, then it will be worth it. I don't think the Vikings would be playing this well with Hill or someone like Sanchez. Also, Bradford is under contract for next season, so it gives Teddy time to recover and it gives Spielman time to evaluate Bradford and decide which direction they want to go with at QB. Still sucks to need to give up a 1st and a conditional pick in 2018 right before the start of the season, but as we are seeing, the rest of the team was too good to throw this season away. Plus, they have an extra 3rd and 4th from Miami in 2017, so they still have ammunition to move up if needed, which they may since there is a good chance they will need to replace both offensive tackles next off-season.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

warcrimes posted:

Oh he absolutely is

As long as he stays upright.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Aniki posted:

The compensation for Bradford was expensive, but if he continues to play at a high level, then it will be worth it.

If he ends up costing a first and second then it will be the greatest trade in history.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Blowjob Overtime posted:

If he ends up costing a first and second then it will be the greatest trade in history.

Definitely.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

As a Minnesotan who's been disappointed by the vikings my entire life and hasn't really started watching football (regularly) until the past 3 seasons I have a question:

How good of a head coach is Zimmer?

The commentators seem to enjoy drooling about him but I can't tell if they're idiots or not.

edit: Also Xavier Rhodes is my favorite player I don't care about the penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Tres Burritos posted:

As a Minnesotan who's been disappointed by the vikings my entire life and hasn't really started watching football (regularly) until the past 3 seasons I have a question:

How good of a head coach is Zimmer?

The commentators seem to enjoy drooling about him but I can't tell if they're idiots or not.

edit: Also Xavier Rhodes is my favorite player I don't care about the penalties.

Zimmer is in the running for coach of the year, and was last year also. He's an incredibly gifted coach who has transformed every defense he has ever coached.

Rhodes rules, and the few penalties he commits are absolutely worth it for the brilliant coverage he typically brings to the table.

• Locked thread