Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I got a nice slab of rose quartz but I don't know what shape to cut it into. I haven't decided if it should be an oval or a diamond. I can't do cool shapes yet though. I'll live post when I'm there.

Here's some rocks I sanded into being pretty.

Sanding and polishing rocks is pretty chill if a little loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce

pretty sure rocks are too hard to cut

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

MrWillsauce posted:

Normally yeah but they used space magic or something and use diamonds in machines that let you cut and sand the rocks like they're wood.

It's freaky to watch the stone just disappear as you work.

MrWillsauce

no fuckin way

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Will post magic when I go after work. It might be magic or but I take the rock, cut it up on a fancy saw that spits water then I take it over and glue it to a stick then sand it with more water until it's a shape I like (or I'm just okay with because I'm not good yet) then it looks like a pretty stone and not a dumb rock.

FluffieDuckie

this is really cool. thanks for sharing it with us

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Music Theory

MrWillsauce posted:

Quartz is a relatively hard rock (around 6 on Moh's hardness scale?), but it's not impossibly so. IIRC, granite is largely made out of quartz, and there are a lot of things made of granite. Basalt is where it starts to get hard to do anything with, though people still manage it.

City of Glompton

FluffieDuckie posted:

:agreed:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Haptical Sales Slut

Age 18 to 49
Once you're done put 'em in a top hat and you can translate ancient Egyptian :eng101:

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
this rocks

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Specifically what I'm making are Cabochons. They're the little polished ovals of stones you see frequently set into necklaces.

Quartz and Agate are frequently used but any stone can be cut into a slab that is then cut into a rough shape and then you sand, and sand and sand until it's in a roughly oval shape. Then you squint a lot and keep sanding until it's even. Then you go to the next sander at a higher grit and shape more and more until it's a better round shape all around. Then there's 4 more steps of grit each getting it smoother and smoother until it's time to polish and you get a little stone.

Then you do it all over again on the bottom.

And then after all that you clean it up and see all the spots you missed and so you go back to the start and try and fix stuff haha.

It's really therapeutic as the sounds while loud are pretty soft and the stones sand slow enough that you can control it like a really hard clay.

This is the baby art before you graduate to cutting actual gemstones but I'm nowhere near good enough yet.

These are the basics and I'm doing a whole stone tonight so I can post the steps while I'm going.

Music Theory

Arkanomen posted:

I can post the steps while I'm going.

Aww yeah

big black turnout

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I also gotta ask the guy the runs the shop about coming to our friends Halloween Wizard party as Dumbledore and how much he sells the wands he makes for. He's a pretty chill old hippy but he's super good at woodworking and makes movie quality poo poo.

I'm not into Harry Potter that much and that stupid online game said my patronus friend was a Salmon so I'm grumpy (why couldn't it be a shark or a cooler fish) about it but the people hosting the wizard party are good friends so I'm not going to be mad about it.

flavor.flv

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Do you sell those? I make plushies on commission and like two thirds of the stuff people ask me for is these cartoon characters with different kinds of gems on their heads. I've been using rhinestones up to this point but if I could get ahold of the actual stones it would really help me bring my work to the next level.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FluffieDuckie posted:

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

RandomFerret posted:

Do you sell those? I make plushies on commission and like two thirds of the stuff people ask me for is these cartoon characters with different kinds of gems on their heads. I've been using rhinestones up to this point but if I could get ahold of the actual stones it would really help me bring my work to the next level.

Tons of people sell them. Etsy is where you can find some really cool stuff like fire opals or glass ones. Not sure if you can commission people or not but I bet they are out there. One day I can get good enough to make stuff like this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/267811...ef=sr_gallery_6

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Just got home. Gonna go get my rock. Bought this over in Japan because if I'm going to cut a rock I'm going to get some Hanzo Rock folded over 1000 times.

Actually it's just some rose quartz from Madagascar, but that doesn't matter because it's still a nice looking rock and it felt right when I grabbed it in the store.

It's a little thin on one end but it's got a pretty flat base and tapers to the top so I will have to do less work to shape it how I want.

Still don't know what shape it's gonna be. I might free hand it or maybe do a pentagon. I'm gonna finish my dinner and drive over to the shop.

Moon Atari

I bet that would be a great way to relieve stress and work out any anger you have built up. Kind of like "loving rocks, think you are so tough. Think you are hard to cut? Well how about this, huh? Diamond blade. How do you like that tough guy?"

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
It would if it didn't take FOREVER to cut through a rock. You gotta go slow or else some rocks can burn and you lose the color and others will just explode the saw blade. Sometimes rocks will break apart along seams and it messes up your line so it's the most stressful part.

The chill comes later when the stone is tied down with hot wax and taken to the Sanding Wheel of Punishment.

Gatekeeper

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i have a rock tumbler :eng99:

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
Cut it into the shapes BYOB op

Maybe a spooky pumpkin for Halloween idk

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

Gatekeeper posted:

i have a rock tumbler :eng99:

That's okay! Rock tumbling is just as good as cabbing and can do things you can't do with any other machine. Tumblers make really nice and smooth round stones for things like beads or neat display pieces and you don't have to stand around sanding like a madman.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
i have a rock tumblr but i haven't posted anything in a while

MiracleWhale

i feel like "rock tumblr" is a good name for an action star in 2016. "tumblr" to let you know that he cares about social justice, "rock" to make him present just masculine enough to be naughty

MrWillsauce

the only stone cutting I have experience with is working out my abs

Dreddout

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Stone cutting sounds awfully like masonry to me!

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
So the ancient tribal elders told me that the edges basically limit me to free form or a lot of shaping. Being the wild youth that I am I'm just jumping right into shaping at the 80 grit Wheel.

It was 100 degrees outside today so the water spray is really nice. The stone is soft and the wheel is eating it quickly.

It's actually going to be a little pumpkin/Apple shape I think. You can see where I've been shaving the rock. We will make it pretty and shiny later.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
The rock picked its own shape out and it wanted to be vaguely heart shaped so we're going with that. Going to bevel the bottom edge so it will set in a necklace wrap better. Up next, hot wax!

Metal Pink Babble

by FactsAreUseless

Dreddout posted:

Stone cutting sounds awfully like masonry to me!

Groening's status as a 33^o is intended as a gag. Real Masons used prehewn bricks instead of taking their tools to such rough materia!

----------------

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
It's time to punish the stone with Hot Wax or doing something called Dopping. I'm gonna glue a stick to one side of the stone so it's easier to work against the grindwheel.

The stone is going to take forever to cool but you gotta chill out and let the wax settle or later he stone will escape and it will be sad.

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
looks like you're going to be having quartz of fun!

but appreciate this, thank you for sharing.

----------------

City of Glompton

this is really cool. when I was a kid we had some family friends who were a grandma and grandpa type couple who would go rockhounding and then cut the rocks, and I loved to visit their workshop.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

big black turnout

thanks for the thread, op. your a gem

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
80 and 220 grit shaping are done. Looks like we got the Vicks vaporub logo. Onto polishing and polishing and more polishing!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Arkanomen posted:

80 and 220 grit shaping are done. Looks like we got the Vicks vaporub logo. Onto polishing and polishing and more polishing!

that looks really cool

Instruction Manuel

Yes, it is what it looks like!

You sure you have the stones for it? :haw:

This is really cool.

Metal Pink Babble

by FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

that looks really cool

if you would have attended our meetings and read the charter, you'd have noticed that our Stonecutters' Tumblers resemble steins, or "stones"

Who reads the charter? We do!

----------------

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Okay, got through the 320 , 400, 600 and TI polish stages. The big crack in the center didn't pop which is good and now I gotta take it back to the wax station to switch the stick to the other side. Then it is on to the flat sander because the earth is flat to as written by my lord and savior Based God, but that will be on Saturday because they closed the shop.

Here is it at the various stages. It's hard to tell with a camera what's different. Hell its hard to tell staring at it but it gets smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Cleaned off the back and took some pictures. How far you've come tonight little rock. Thank you for following my thread fellow stoners. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

• Locked thread