Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
This is really just the tip of the iceberg. He never once mentioned "crystals" or $5,000/ft cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Three-Phase posted:

Cable elevators... wooden potentiometer knobs...

Low-oxygen cables, error-correcting cables, analogue-compatible HDMI, electronically-inert glass stereo component spacers.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Unless you like listening to Steely Dan all the time, investing in audiophile stuff will just show you how poorly your favorite music was recorded

"My $15,000 cables running into my 1976 Pioneer (recapped and low-oxygen leads) really lets me hear the 3D soundstage and allows me to perfectly place all the instruments in the entire orchestra . . . on this 1957 LP, of a session recorded in 1948 that was captured in a school gymnasium with a cardboard and tin mic made during the 1920's."

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Why are you reading audiophile forums like a loving idiot?

Some people read them for the same reason some people read reddit, for our enjoyment.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sammus posted:

What the gently caress is going on here? Is that 2 inches of insulation around a tiny cable? If so, holy poo poo.

At least 2".

Audiophiles really, really love spending money on really really expensive and impractical cable setups. From $1000/ft cables, to wooden/granite cable lifts, to insane amounts of insulation, they think a strand of copper is going to make thousands of dollars worth of difference.

Also, stuff like this is why even mentioning "blind test" in most audiophile forums will get you banned.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You know what I hate the most about audiophiles? They never say they like music, they say they like "audio." As if for them it's more about loving around with the sound quality than the actual music itself.

Whenever an audiophile posts a pic of their setups, you almost always see the vinyl on their shelves is 90% Tuning/Demo/Benchmark records, with a few "safe" albums thrown in. Audiophiles are even more afraid of being called out on having bad music tastes than they are of being called out on cheap equipment. That's why you only see the same "safe" albums over and over again in every audiophile setup pic. (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, and a few others that they feel are incapable of being criticized)

Most of them don't actually to listen to music, they listen to their equipment.

• Locked thread