Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Sorry I am jealous of your easy access to world class burritos :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Come visit and check out these dope spots:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/san-diego/best-california-burritos-in-san-diego

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chinatown posted:

as far as staying in a resort i kinda like the all inclusive ones. I stayed at a Riu once and it was really nice and relaxing and you didnt have to worry about how much you were spending on food and booze. :confused:

They have their pros and cons. Its nice being able to pay for everything up front and not worry where you're going to go, you tend to have a nice pool and beach access nearby. People whine about the crowds but honestly it is nice having a lot of people to socialize with and its like being at a bar 24hrs/7 days straight if that is your kind of thing.

I think some people that gripe about them just don't want to spend that much money on a vacation in Mexico. That or they're too poor to afford one. My point is if you want to stay at a nice hotel in Mexico, you might as well go all-inclusive because it isn't going to be that much more generally (and many resorts you can do either).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TenementFunster posted:

i hate australian tourists so loving much. stop the boats, stop the planes, stop the blimps. make australia prison again

A lot of people where I live share this sentiment. They tend to be the worst most obnoxious tourists. It really depends on where you live. Where I am, the biggest scum-class tourists are 20-something australian dudes "backpacking" around, but English tourists are really nice here as they tend to be nice old people. Contrast with europe, where hands down by a long shot english tourists are by far the worst people I've ever encountered on this earth.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Germans and/or Danes are the best tourists.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

stereobreadsticks posted:

I don't know what about my post made you think that was what I meant. Unless you think literally everything outside the walls of your beach resort in Cancun is a slum.

Seriously. If you can speak a little bit of Spanish somewhere like Valle de Bravo is going to be a much better time and describing any of it as a 'slum' or 'poverty tourism' is laughable.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I have some questions about Mexican food for the experts:

I have had chimichanga before and I thought I liked it, but I had it the other day and it seemed really boring, I don't think there was any chili in it. I know it was invented in California, so is it always pretty boring and I should be ashamed of myself for ever liking them?

I had something in CA called a garbage burrito, is that also Cal-Mex? It seemed okay but not that memorable, is that actually a good type of burrito or is it literally garbage tier?

As for Australian tourists, I think the important question to ask is: is it okay for a group of dudes to strip down to underwear sporting the Mexican flag while in Mexico?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Zombiepop posted:

Germans and/or Danes are the best tourists.

nah germans and their cultural chauvinism can stay at home

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Burt Sexual posted:

So poverty tourism.

Technically speaking, camping is also poverty tourism.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Picnic Princess posted:

Technically speaking, camping is also poverty tourism.

Self inflicted poverty vs point and gawk.

Is there any Trump properties in Mexico?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Burt Sexual posted:

So poverty tourism.

This is a made-up thing to make tourists - specifically of the middle class - feel bad. Just come out and say you hate the concept of tourism in general, or the middle class in general.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
My girlfriend and I are going to go and live in Mérida for a year. Is this a good thing to do? Will we die?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Vulpes posted:

My girlfriend and I are going to go and live in Mérida for a year. Is this a good thing to do?

Mérida is still considered the safest city in Mexico.

quote:

Will we die?

Everything dies.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a city where I can shoot random people for money?

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mike12345 posted:

nah germans and their cultural chauvinism can stay at home

Also Scandinavian tourists are loving horrible because you can't have a conversation with them for more than two minutes before they start talking about how loving amazing everything is in their home countries

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
Hell yeah i'm going to Mexico in a couples weeks, fuckin pumped

I'm going to Puerto Vallarta for a few days then back to some spot near lake chapala where my dad lives. Any recommendations for cool spots welcome. That abandoned corrupt cop palace looked rad.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

everyone knows japanese people are the best tourists, they have no idea whats going on and just roll with it

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KomodoWagon posted:

Also Scandinavian tourists are loving horrible because you can't have a conversation with them for more than two minutes before they start talking about how loving amazing everything is in their home countries

success breeds jealousy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Almost time for Dia De Los Muertos my good bitches, time to decorate your ancestors graves and bbq at the cemetery, hell yeah

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
can't wait for the traditional parade in mexico city!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

KomodoWagon posted:

Just start making fun of the word fjord and their weather and that usually does the trick.

or 'if it's so good then why did Syrian war refugees want to turn around once they got there?'

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Went to Playa Del Carmen. Spent most of the time drinking beers and tequila on the beach.

Here's the beach:

Here's the beer. It was actually pretty good.

We found several craft varieties in addition to the regular stuff (modelo, pacifico, etc). Some of the beers were decent, one called Tulum was p. nice. Another one was utter garbage. I also had some beer a guy in the market obviously made in his house. It was too fizzy but tasted good.

We went snorkeling here.

I took some pictures underwater but I used my phone with a waterproof case so they're lovely.

Made this little video of a Mexican fish though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8GlRnjKjQ

Explored some cenotes. Learned that "senotes" means "big boobs" in Spanish. Here is the entrance.

These were empty of tourists and very cool. Water was crystal clear and cold.

I would have liked to scuba dive in these caves but nobody else in my group did so we just swam through the caves. Probably just as well since they are pitch black and the only way to find your way is a lifeline that looks like this:

A mayan sculpture in the jungle between cenotes.

Beware of iguanas!

Beware of coatis!

Little mexicoons ran wild all over the place.

We were going to go to Tulum but then decided would rather spend those extra hours in a hammock. Here is the view from my hammock.

I am okay with the decision. More ruins to see next time.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:hellyeah:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Goddamn that owns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cave diving is never a good idea.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Mexico is the best. The dollar goes a long way and people are friendly and the food is awesome and the booze is plentiful and you generally aren't gonna have any trouble unless you are a total rear end in a top hat.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My parents are on their way to San Miguel De Allende. Pretty cool looking town! They flew out of Tijuana for their first time. The exchange rate is so good right now I hope they buy me a rug or something cool!

Anyways yeah Mexico is still cool + good!

:cool:

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

you messed up the meme. they do that in finland, not sweden. that's why sweden and norway make fun finland - b/c they are like the austistic brother.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chinatown posted:

My parents are on their way to San Miguel De Allende. Pretty cool looking town! They flew out of Tijuana for their first time. The exchange rate is so good right now I hope they buy me a rug or something cool!

Anyways yeah Mexico is still cool + good!

:cool:

Lol gently caress those emerging markets! I want a rug.

http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/news/16735/mexican-peso-rand-exchange-rates-casualty.html

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

yeah basically

also cheap rear end beer and tacos

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people where I live share this sentiment. They tend to be the worst most obnoxious tourists. It really depends on where you live. Where I am, the biggest scum-class tourists are 20-something australian dudes "backpacking" around, but English tourists are really nice here as they tend to be nice old people. Contrast with europe, where hands down by a long shot english tourists are by far the worst people I've ever encountered on this earth.

You've never seen tour buses in Copenhagen vomit out masses of Russian and Ukrainian peasants, have you? If not I envy you!

Bacon Taco fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009
cozumel is p dope when we pulled in for port calls.

• Locked thread