Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

canadianclassic posted:

Robinson Cano has been unbelievable this season, especially this last week.

He's been unbelievable his entire career minus 2008 and like the first two months last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Red posted:

Statistically, how do starters brought in for relief in extra innings generally fare?

I don't have an answer for you but:

2001 WS Game 7 Randy Johnson was cool as hell.

Bumgarner threw 5 shutout relief innings Game 7 in 2014.

Syndegaard came in last year in Game 5 of the NLDSS and threw one inning of shutout relief.

I'm sure there are also terrible examples as well. But when it works out it's usually awesome. Also, unless it's 2010 Ubaldo Jiminez, that's not the loving starting pitcher that I am bringing in, I don't care what his last 60 innings have been. His last 1,000 innings have been horrible.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nail Rat posted:

I've never seen anything thrown on the field at any Cubs game I've been to (probably around 45 or so) but then again they don't hand out stacks of papers either.

I mean, this would account for 5% of games the last 10 years at Wrigley (unless you went to 45 games THIS YEAR, which, cool).

You can do a simple search of poo poo thrown on field at Wrigley and get hits over the years. Also, baseballs are routinely thrown back aren't they?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

I don't understand how any stadium still gives out actual cans for people to drink from, especially Rogers. I went to Detroit a couple years back and just kind of stared at the concessions worker after she handed me a can to take back to my seat.

I mean, I'm thinking they are hoping you would act like a socialized adult and not throw poo poo onto the field. You can also bring things that are a lot more dangerous to throw than beer cans, baseballs included! Hell, I'm sure you could go to the souvenir shop and get a mini bat and throw that at someone on the field.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

Alternately, maybe Matheny should have just walked Ortiz every AB in 2013.

He walked him 33% of the time which was the problem considering people scored after the walks more than half the time.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'd be more worried about Arrieta having a 4.50 ERA in his last 100 innings and a walk rate of nearly 4 per 9IP in that time span (facing a team that likes to walk) than what state he is pitching in. He also led the league in wild pitches this year :shrug:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think I am rooting for the Rangers because the Prince retirement was sad as hell and Carlos Beltran is there too.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I got the same feeling watching the Indians last night, everyone just seemed to not give a poo poo. But this is actually true for Indians fans because you can't help thinking "where were all these people during the regular season?".

The Indians won 94 games and didn't even hit an average home attendance of 20,000 :stare:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Inspector_666 posted:

Attendance numbers usually lag a season behind actual performance. Yankee Stadium was empty even when they were on a tear and barely out of the WC slot this year (not that "the team is bad" is the only good reason to not bother going to the stadium.)

I get this but the Indians haven't had a losing record since 2012. I didn't realize the Indians didn't draw crowds anymore.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Bumgarner has made ~$23m over his 8 years of pitching. 1400 innings of 2.99 ERA and a bonus 100 innings of 1.94 ERA that has come with 3 rings. My God that's a crime.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

patonthebach posted:

Over under on playoff games Price wins over his career : 1.5

What would you take?

I'm taking the over because he's at 2?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

patonthebach posted:

As a starter

You kinda just proved how stupid pitcher wins are as a stat by doing this. Yea, he's been bad in the postseason. It's a whole 66 innings of sample size. David Price is a good pitcher (although he did have a down year).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

shadok posted:

I hope the Jays win but I won't cry if they go down fighting. Final Four two years in a row is awesome.

Hopefully it won't end like this for you guys.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

As much as people rag on Lidge for the Pujols moonshot, didn't the Astros still win that game like 8-5

No? But they did win the series two days later.

And people say it broke Lidge because he was bad in the WS as well after that moonshot. But as someone already mentioned, he was very good for the Phillies in 08.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 11, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Ammat The Ankh posted:

He'd thrown 120 pitches already, he's coming off TJ surgery, and if you can't depend on your bullpen to get three outs with a three run lead you aren't going to the World Series anyway.

Is 120 the magic number of pitches where your arm explodes if you are coming off of TJ surgery?

He threw 133 pitches in a near no hitter and was then pulled after the single. This game was a million times more important than getting a no-hitter but Bochy had no problem leaving him in for 133 pitches that night.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

Reminder that the Dodgers intentionally walked .230/.306/.325 slashing 70 OPS+ing Jason Heyward and .188/.290/.318 slashing 68 OPS+ing Chris Coghlan in the 8th inning of a tie game

Heyward to set up a double play and Coghlan to get Aroldis out of the game. Obviously none of this mattered as Montero blasted one into the seats.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Rizzo had a 3-41 slump in May this season, maybe he is trying to replicate that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
They should send him down to AFL for a day.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

I think the Cardinals are more of a threat than you're betting on. The Cubs have more young talent among position players but the gulf isn't as wide as everyone makes it out to be. I'm still bullish on Kolten Wong, Aledmys Diaz seems like a 3-4 WAR player, Carpenter remains solid (though I wouldn't really call him young anymore) and Piscotty is always dangerous to the point that I assume many Cubs fans would trade Heyward for him straight up.

As for the pitching, I think the rotation needs to stabilize but isn't as dead and buried as many people are saying. Thanks in part to the never ending conveyor belt of prospects we can patch whatever holes come up. Part of it is driven by my unending love for how adorable he is, but I think Wainwright will bounce back. Martinez is coming into his own as a legitimate front-line starter and Reyes seemed to be more than up to the challenge of pitching in the big leagues. As a groundball-oriented pitcher the uncertainty in the infield this year hurt Leake more than most but I'm still okay with him as a 4/5 in the rotation. Beyond that we have Lance Lynn, Michael Wacha, Tyler Lyons, Tim Cooney and Marco Gonzales available, plus a $12M option on Jaime Garcia. It's not Philadelphia "Four Aces" lineup but it's still a solid pitching staff.

The staff can't possibly be as bad as it was this season but I also don't think the offense is going to be anywhere near as good. It will be an interesting offseason and I hope they spend some smart money.

Also, I am loving all these meltdowns, keep them coming.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nail Rat posted:

The Blue Jays didn't get shut out by Rich loving Hill

Rich Hill has gone 6+ scoreless innings 5 times this year. For whatever reason, he isn't some totally poo poo pitcher this season and his last 140 innings are: 0.926 WHIP, 10.7 K/9, and a 202 ERA+.

Also, starting pitchers the Cubs have been shutout by this season:

Scott Kazmir
James Shields
Tyler Chatwood
Drew Pomeranz
Madison Bumgarner
Brock Stewart

It's baseball, poo poo happens.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Arrieta was 28 when he made his big turnaround, not 36.

Made his big turn around and then turned right back around again.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

Look if you cant fill the time in between games with pointless history and trivia then maybe try doing something productive or useful instead

SPEAKING OF WHICH

Lowest team OPS in LCS history and series result:

1982 Atlanta Braves (.169/.219/.180/.399), lost 0-3 to STL
1984 Kansas City Royals (.170/.214/.198/.412), lost 0-3 to DET
2012 New York Yankees (.157/.224/.264/.488), lost 0-4 to DET
2015 Chicago Cubs (.164/.225/.297/.522), lost 0-4 to NYM
2016 Cleveland Indians (.168/.215/.329/.544), beat TOR 4-1

Haven't they also had a record ERA or something? 1.88 playoff ERA this season. Nuts.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Chris Coghlan has been worse at the plate in the year 2016 than Jason Heyward.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Oh my a guy had a good 83 plate appearances in a row!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bad boy in the boy band posted:

What have Heyward's last 83 been like?

And is Coghlan blown away by a 94-mph fastball?

More meaningless stats: Coghlans last 14 PA's he hasn't gotten a hit. And I can find an 80 plate appearance set within Heywards season that matches what Coghlan has "done for you lately."

I just think it's funny they benched amazing defense for maybe the same exact bat.

More useless info: Coghlan's last hit came on September 27th and Jason Heyward ended the season with 56 PA's of 304/411/478.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 25, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

Heyward's best 82 PA stretch that I can find in a quick scan was:

82 PA/74 AB
20 H
4 2B
1 HR
5 RBI
6 BB
12 SO
2 HBP
Slash of .270/.341/.365 for an OPS of .706

June1 - Jun22: 270/341/446

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

Even with yours (when he hit about half his season HR total) he still can't hit an .800 OPS

I dunno if you caught the rest of my post because I edited it, but Coghlan hasn't had an MLB hit since September 27th. Heyward had ridiculous stats his last 54 PA's of the season. Heyward is an incredible defender (also none of these weird sample sets even matter). My main point is Heyward is a good defender why change that for probably the same bat? I just don't get the move.

As other Cubs people have said, why not Contreras/Zobrist?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

As for why not Contreras/Zobrist, I have to imagine Joe wants to play as many lefties as possible.

True but Contreras splits v RHP is good.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

IDK I feel like Maddon has made enough good decisions that its time to Trust The Process

I wish my team had a manager like that :(

Also for whatever this is worth: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cubs-should-keep-starting-jason-heyward-in-the-world-series/

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 25, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ChiTownEddie posted:

Am I the only Cubs fan that remembers that Kluber uses a historically Not Good fastball to setup great breaking stuff? He had his fb last night, it was cool to watch. If he doesn't have it to the same degree even a little bit the Cubs could utterly crush him. Kershaw lost a bit of touch on his curve in game 6 and look what happened.

I was always of the thought that his two seam fastball was incredibly good and then he destroys people with his cutter/slider thing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My uncle lives in Cleveland, so I wanted to meet up with him for lunch while I'm in town. He picked a place called Urban Farmer and as soon as I walked in, I saw Tom Ricketts there eating with his family. We were seated and served, then a few minutes later, Ryne Sandberg and his family sat down at the table right next to us. It was a bit awkward since I was wearing my Sandberg shirtsey at the time. After another couple minutes, a waitress comes up to me and says "excuse me, but some fans at the table over there want to take care of your bill and buy you a round of drinks." Apparently another table told the waitress they wanted to buy Sandberg's meal, but she had no idea which one was him and just assumed it was the guy wearing the Sandberg shirtsey.

Great story but why the hell are fans offering to buy multi millionaires their food.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nail Rat posted:

Two of them were found on the rocks, not in the water.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

probably not the best choice of words

New Concept Hole posted:

They died as they lived: on the rocks

This is good.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I understand wanting to watch the game with people, but god drat, if you have that much disposable income I am sure one of your friends has a cool rear end place with a big rear end TV and can throw a party? I don't get it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

My dad is desperately trying to jinx Cleveland. Texting me repeatedly: "They only have to win one of two!"

Originally it was one of three!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

Since you seem to need a little help informing us about your own team, I can do it for you if you'd like.

Keeping Rajai out of the lineup indicates that Francona is moving away from his run-first strategy for Lester and moving to his optimal defensive + power lineup, slotting Santana in leadoff as the DH instead. Santana isn't quick and Tito (the nickname for the aforementioned Francona, your team's manager) will hope for the bats of Kipnis and Lindor to bring him in. Tito could have opted for on-base threat Guyer, who gets hit by pitches at an astronomical rate, but instead went with his better defensive outfield in Chisenhall, Naquin, and Crisp.

Hope that helps!

Santana has 395 plate appearances this year from the leadoff spot and Guyer has horrible splits vs RHP.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mastershakeman posted:

why is a fat cripple batting second

Because he has a postseason 343/439/800 slash line in 41 PA's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
To be fair, Rizzo has been hitting the ball extremely well since he got benched.

• Locked thread