Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If only Pagan could play left as well as he can body slam people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Never should have gotten rid of A.J. Ellis

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Julio Cruz posted:

So if the Giants lose and Cards win today who's likely to start game 163 tomorrow? Cueto v Leake maybe?

I thought I read that Samardzija was going to 163 if it happens

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Will Clark attempted to murder the Cardinals middle infield.

He has no flaws.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

howe_sam posted:

They were near the bottom of the league in a bunch of offensive categories. So saying he did a good job is a stretch.

It's hard to quantify how much a hitting coach helps or hinders a team, but I'm gonna guess that the marlins having so many injuries hurt their offense more than anything Bonds could have done one way or another.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Maybe just maybe a team that has 3 dudes with a reasonable chance to hit 20 homeruns isn't built very well.

Idk, the Giants HR leader was Brandon Belt with 17, and no one else hit 15 or more, and they're in the play-offs.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya but they weren't a good hitting team either and its not really my point anyway.

Maybe using HRs was a dumb way to put it, but the Marlins aren't a well built offensive team. They weren't any better this year than last offensively, the uptick in their runs scored and OPS is about on par with what happened across MLB.

But if you didn't go with home runs I wouldn't have been able to point out how hilarious the Giants' HR totals were this season, so it all worked out.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"No one wants to keep a spreadsheet so no one gets fair pay" is a bold stance.

bawfuls posted:

something like $4M/yr per team. It's a drop in the bucket.

But what about if someone wants to work MORE! There's no protocol for that in any business anywhere! :saddowns:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
No but you see they'll have to hire someone to keep up with their hours! Now that's another person they have to bring along on every trip. Do you know how that's going to effect the mileage of the bus?! Gas ain't free, kids!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Pussy Boss posted:

You got me wondering and yep, AT&T was once again the hardest place in the majors to hit a home run. That makes five of the last six years. The Giants hit 75 HR on the road vs. 55 at home, and the pitchers gave up 64 at home/ 94 on the road. I have to laugh when people talk about the home run resurgence around the league because I ain't seen it.

They were T-27th in Away HRs(55/75), and they were 13th in MLB the previous season (53/83). Meanwhile, baseball as a whole went from 4,909 HRs to 5,610 HRs

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

so for everyone well actuallying in the GDT that Britton wasn't available

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/783514665242550272

Oops

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sadly I was thinking just this.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The amazing part of this is that the Kimbrel moment is still dumber.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I've designated a part of my house for rolling back and forth in the fetal position while I listen. A thread is redundant.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

Madison Bumgarner seems like an a-hole a lot of the time but holy poo poo that guy...

Pretty much. He's insane, and also insane

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I would just like to remind everyone that the Giants lost the only NLDS game Bumgarner pitched in 2014 and it still didn't matter.

I was at that game so it was probably my fault.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bawfuls posted:

I disagree

:wow:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Hey bawfuls the Giants have won another Postseason Bumgarner start I thought you should know since you closely follow these sorts of things.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

"I think the Giants had momentum until the Cubs had it, now I think the Giants have it" - Pete Rose

Exit light, enter night. Interesting stuff.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
WOW

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bad boy in the boy band posted:

You guys were one hell of a worthy adversary and I'm sorry you had to lose in that fashion. It sucks.

This is what had to happen for anyone to learn anything from this though.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
What was wrong with the straight over-the-top angle? It's the best angle to see movement and location until they can figure out how to make the pitcher transparent.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Every pitch is low. You just forgot because it's been that way for so long. :v:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Pulling your best relief pitcher to put in one of your worst because of Matchups didn't work, much like how it hadn't worked all season.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Did Stan Winston design that statue?

Is it true to form?

Is Harry Caray the inspiration for Bloodborne?

I have so many questions

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Kershaw outhit Gregor Blanco in the NLDS. I didn't fact check this, but my gut says it's true.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Caring about what a pitcher is batting in the postseason is a gateway stat that will only lead to self-destruction, or worse, narrative.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

Hey guys check out my sub 30 AB sample size taken over six years

furthermore

I've heard enough about Conor Gillaspie for the rest of my life tyvm

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
How dare anyone get interested in a team for succeeding. Now excuse me while I go back to complaining that the game is failing to attract a younger audience.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Neither Lopez nor Osich becoming the LOOGY the Giants needed was a big part of the bullpen disaster.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Patrick Spens posted:

Fangraphs claims that Will Smith is decent, are they wrong?

It's hard to say since he pitched so little. :v: He had a few bad outings which meant Bochy moved him to the rear of the procession behind the other lefties, which is how you end up with Lopez and Osich enter more games Matt Reynolds and Steven Okert pitch more innings(?!) than the reliever they traded some of their better prospects to get.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 13, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Pancakes posted:

It's really hard for them to find vegan leather dress shoes that fit well? Because it is. It really, really is.

No kidding. I have disproportionately large feet for my size but I'm still a bit over 6'2"; 15EEEE isn't, like, hobbit feet on me or something.

In a callback to earlier (and to get away from footchat), people were trying to find a WAR drop off from an MVP season that approaches Harper's from last year to this year. I submit Willie McGee. While it's not as precipitous, he went from 8.1 in his MVP season to 2.9 the next year. Almost 1/3 of his lifetime WAR over an 18-year career came from one season. Can anyone find a player with a higher proportional share of their career WAR in one season, assuming at least 10 years' playing time as an arbitrary qualifier?

Jeff Francoeur has 3.3 WAR in his 2007 season and 6.1 over 12 season. Does that count?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Please park adjust ZAUN

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Rally-killers

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Legs Benedict posted:

Justin Verlander, 2017 Dodger

Five minutes later: Justin Verlander to go on the DL and miss all of 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Balks are poorly defined and both pitchers and umps don't have a clear definition of what a balk is. This goes double for lefties.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Manfred rigged the games so the Blue Jays would lose because two blue teams in the World Series is too confusing for old people.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh hey look it turns out Rizzo knows how to hit as if he's a skilled major league baseball player or something. Weird.

HE'S ONLY HITTING .200

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Unless I'm mistaken, the Colorado Rockies are the only team I can find in either league that has had five different players win Batting Titles over a ten-year stretch.

This is unrelated to the current discussion, but I thought it was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They died as they lived: on the rocks

• Locked thread