Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Can someone tell me if the red sox need to try to win tommorow for some kind of home field thing or will it be a throw away game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Pancakes posted:

The Dodgers' have no direct benefit to play for tomorrow and have the NLDS to look forward to. In theory they should just throw out scrubs tomorrow. However, I'm REALLY hoping spite/divisional rivalry drives them. A Giants loss and Cardinals win forces a game 163.

I have no idea where you got telling me about the dodgers has relevance to my question about the red sox

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Crazy Ted posted:

If you'll believe this afternoon's ESPN report, when Bonds was critical of a player's batting it was to the point of being cantankerous, and Giancarlo Stanton started to completely tune him out as a result.

I have no inside knowledge but its pretty standard for the true best of the best in terms of ability to be terrible coaches. Gretzky, etc. How exactly do you give pointers and things to work on when your whole career you were just insanely more talented and natural then everyone else? How much can you demand out of your players when in your own experience, when you tried hard you were the best player alive?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
oh my god. please tell me show-walter didnt keep britain out because of old baseball rules and not injury?>????>>??>?>??

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Wow. best team won today. Orioles worse starting from manager down.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
One of the worst coaching jobs of all time. Show-walter blows

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I was so certain Britton was gravely injured during warm up. I couldnt imagine a reason why he wasnt used yet in the game. Turns out its just because im smarter then "mlb manager" buck show-walter

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd say the Jays have their work cut for them, they no longer have Price and the Rangers were the best team in the AL in the 2nd half. Osuna misses any significant time, they're screwed.

Price is garbage in the playoffs anyways. He hurt the jays way more than he helped in 2015.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

shadok posted:

Also, watching that clip again, Hyun Soo Kim is amazing. Never took his eye off the ball.

Lastly, I hate this racist new world we're suddenly living in. Canadians used to be quietly racist in the comfort and privacy of their homes. Now apparently it's ok to just scream that poo poo in baseball stadiums.

Sadly we are less racist now than we probably have ever been, and still this stuff happens. This sadly isnt new at all in sports stadiums. People used to shout out the N word at stadiums in the 80s/90s without other fans flinching

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So looking at his age, performance this regular season, performance in post season, age, and fielding ability, what does everyone think Bautista will end up getting for contract offers? And where do you think he will end up?

My guess is after more injuries and hitting .230 (but great OBP and HR still) and declining RF ability, he will be resigned for around 3 or 4 years - 45-80 million total. I can't see it being anywhere close to the original rumours of him asking for 5/150.

And I bet it he does end up most likely with the Jays. He likes it there, likes the team, and he is worth so much more as a Jay then on another team, so the Jays might overpay 10 million over the contract.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

shadok posted:

Under the current management, the Jays won't overpay him (or Edwin), as much as the fan base might beg them to. He likes Toronto, he'd like to stay, but he's also a pretty keen businessman and he won't give the Jays a hometown discount.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bautista ends up coming back to the Jays in some management capacity after he retires.

How would we even know if he gets overpaid if its by the Jays? Like, if we saw 3 / 60 from the Jays and think that's reasonable, we wouldnt be able to know if the next highest offer was 2/20 from the sox. Or do you mean you dont think the Jays would give a silly high offer that you deem as an overpay?

Chexoid posted:

I've been thinking about where Bautista goes and it's kind of hard to think of one. Nowhere in the NL. No one in the AL East would have a spot for him other than the Jays. Definitely not Texas or the Royals. Astros maybe? Maybe the White Sox want to get him and Dickey and fully become the 2013 blue jays?

I could see him going to the Red Sox to DH. Almost any AL team could use a DH like him. Especially if his asking price does end up being 10-20 million a year. A guy that will hit 30 HR and get a ton of walks, and a huge clutch playoff bat is worth that for sure. Teams are always going to desperate to sign a guy that can hit 20+ HR. Look at the terrible Billy Butler 10 million a year contract. Joey Bats is better in every category than that scrub.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 9, 2016

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Chexoid posted:

The Red Sox will already be going as hard as they can for Encarnacion I imagine.

I think that as well, but he will get contract offers from the NL you have to think to. His price might easily be 20-30 million up to 5 years. Red Sox already has a lot of bad contracts locked up.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

shadok posted:

Put it this way: they didn't extend Smoak and trade for Upton Jr. because they're expecting to have Bautista and Encarnación in 2017.

I really, really hope this is far from the truth. We got Upton Jr for peanuts and he is a useful piece of our roster. If Smoak is anything close to an everyday player in 2017, we are hosed.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Beer cans have been banned from the Skydome. Now it will take even longer to get a beer during the 7th inning stretch.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Why do you have a problem with Bautista?

Edit : do you also have a problem with Odors take out slides?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I wasn't a big fan of his take out slide on Odor, but Dyson never should have hit anyone after his home run last postseason and everything after that shouldn't have happened.

I agree that it's all Dyson's and by proxy the Rangers fault.

Bat flips 4 life

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

shadok posted:

Rangers posters were my favourite non-Jays posters until the Rangers sent Matt Bush out to throw at Bautista. Can't we all just get along?

So Jays question. Last year they lost the ALCS so they hung a AL East championship banner for 2015. If they lose the ALCS this year, god of dingers forbid, no banner?

They will just leave this up

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
N:

V:
Yes.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 10, 2016

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

tadashi posted:

Heyward and JUP are flags fly forever contracts and I would never be mad at a team for those signings.

Isn't heyward just a really bad sign? Feel like it's Mike Bourne all over again

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They could both easily bounce back next year, too.

I don't see how you end up with Heyward worth half of what he was paid. Its the exact wrong type of player to overpay at that age. All of his core skills dont translate to the age of that contract. He's gonna start to lose his defense skill, he doesnt have power or OBP, and he will end up being a .270 outfielder being paid huge dollars, and thats if his hitting improves.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

MrChips posted:

Dude what's your problem?

I mean I'm only pointing out how Blue Jay fans are a bunch of stupid, loudmouth, know-nothing racist shitbags who cheer for a garbage team from a garbage city. If you can't handle that go back to Scarborough and cry yourself to sleep with your Rob Ford doll.

Whos your team? Lemme guess they are already out of the playoffs?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Over under on playoff games Price wins over his career : 1.5

What would you take?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

probably the over since he has 2 postseason wins

As a starter

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Jerry is probably the best radio talent in MLB today.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I cannot wait for robot laser umps. The whole Bautista strike zone thing sucks, because even though he is right in that he had a bunch of terrible strike calls against him, the umps don't like to be shown up and it just perpetuates a cycle of the umps not giving Bautista the benefit of the doubt. Yes, the jays have been getting way worse balls/strike calls this Cleveland series, and that matters in games that have been decided by only 1 or 2 runs. But on the other hand whining about it in the post game, or arguing during the game, just makes the situation worse.

Source
http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/125250/indians-called-strikes-advantage-significant-through-2-games
tl:dr the home plate umping sucked and it hurt the jays by like an extra 5+ called strikes and the indians +1 balls.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
As improbable as it easy for the Jays to pull off the reverse sweep, I like our chances. Estrada vs a scrub for game 5. Then Happ. and for game 7 its kluber on short again? Just gotta take it game by game

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
N:

V:

I know Zeke has been good but I dont remember him pitching.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

I said, I wish I could go back in time, and put some money on the Dodgers!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Because umpires are terrible people and no one ever calls balks. It seems the only pre-requisite is if you do it a whole bunch then it's ok.

Balks are one of the worst enforced/understood by officials calls in all of sports. The spirit of the rule is any deception move is a balk. So almost all pickoff plays are balks. But a certain amount of 20 pitchers or so that are known for sneaky pickoff plays are allowed because of reputation. Also, anytime a no name pitcher does a decent pickoff move they are called for a balk, regardless of foot position or anything. Its a terribly enforced rule.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

Yes this explains perfectly why a 20 year old rookie led the league in pickoffs and wasn't called for a balk once this season.

Hey, Im glad for the kid, he has a great pickoff move. I dont think that changes my point that balks are not enforced well in MLB, and many umpires vary on what they will call, and some players get away (or penalized) based on reputation. Wasn't it Buerhle had a clear balk move that was never called? Or the other way around?

edit: Also Urias's move on Harper was 1000% a balk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Ugh. I had a terrible feeling this was going to be a DUI when I first heard about the crash.

https://twitter.com/andyslater/status/792426767176732673

edit: Im like 3 pages late on this. Sorry

• Locked thread