Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
So if the Giants lose and Cards win today who's likely to start game 163 tomorrow? Cueto v Leake maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mike_V posted:

No need to waste Cueto if he is gonna pitch in the Wild Card game.

Keeping Cueto for a potential WC game is more of a waste IMO, since they've got 2 win-or-go-home games before they can even think about getting on the plane to NY.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If anyone wants heaps and heaps of Cards fan salt, @BestFansStLouis delivers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Right, cause the Dodgers would totally rather play the Giants in the NLCS, their division rival and team they have been getting thrashed by at AT&T Park all season. All this out of spite of a team in another division.

Like %95 of the tweets on there are about how the Dodgers totally rolled over for the Giants.

Anyone who thinks the Dodgers deliberately got swept to get the Giants into the WC game has been paying literally no attention to the NL West the past couple of seasons. That rivalry is probably the fiercest in the game right now and I guarantee there's nothing the Dodgers would have liked more than to have ended the Giants' season today.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Wild Card matchups would happen anyway since the teams playing each other are tied in both leagues. They're games that would be played since 1995, they'd just be called Game 163s.

Statistically the WC game isn't part of the regular season, whereas game 163s are.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

shadok posted:

Yeah, tie-breaker games are part of the "postseason" fwiw.

This isn't true, they're still regular season games for statistical purposes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mark Trumbo is the first player ever to hit at least 47 home runs and to be worth no more than 1.7 WAR.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is he that bad defensively or does he strike out that much?

Both. He struck out 169 times against 51 walks so his OBP was only .317 and his OPS a very SLG-heavy .852. In the field he was worth -2 defensive WAR.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

iKickDogs posted:

Granderson finished with 30 HR and 59 RBI. Good job?

.871 OPS with bases empty, .665 with men on, .477 with RISP. If being clutch were a real thing, he would be the least clutch player in the league.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Nards Pan posted:

And possibly Ryan Howard. I hope some AL team gives him a shot as dh.

Even just offensively he's been below replacement level the last 2 seasons. Personally I think he's done.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Mets won't win unless Cespedes singly handily wins the game. Lineup is dreadful vs lefties.

It's most likely not gonna be a high-scoring game but if it's close late in the game we've definitely got a chance, Giants bullpen has been terrible lately.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's funny how a season of insufferable Cubs posting about how good they are has turned into insufferable Cubs posting about how they'll get swept in the DS over the space of about a week.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Cespedes has a new look going for tonight:

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/783757975366332417

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

I didn't realize just how incredible Britton was this year until I just looked at his final line and he was even on my fantasy team.

Like, that's the best single season a RP has ever had, right?

Craig Kimbrel's 2012 was pretty good. 42/45 saves, 1.01 ERA, 0.78 FIP, 0.654 WHIP, 16.7 K/9 and 8.29 K/BB.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I can't believe I'm going to have to root for the loving Cubs in the DS.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Let's go Rangers/Indians/Blue Jays/Red Sox/Dodgers/Cubs/the sweet release of death/Nationals/Giants.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

does losing the Wild Card game really count as "pitching in the postseason?"

The Wild Card game is officially part of the postseason, so yes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

shadok posted:

I would rather argue about the DH or hot dogs for 20 pages than start this again.

There's no argument to be had. It's past of the postseason schedule. The statistics are counted as postseason rather than regular season. It's played with postseason rules on rosters. In no way is it anything other than a postseason game. It even has the 6 postseason umpires instead of the regular 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Even if his foot doesn't cross the back of the rubber it is very clearly meant to deceive the runner.

The balk rule really needs to be rewritten. All pickoff throws are meant to deceive the runner, that's the whole point of a pickoff throw.

• Locked thread