Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

fatherdog posted:

If you think someone effectively striking for a minute and then getting their back taken for four is going to or should win a decision, you are even dumber than I took you for.

You're getting all emotional and angry because you're interpreting this as an attack on your authority when I'm just chatting. You don't need to insult me just talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Well hot drat, that was a good fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

manyak posted:

This fight has actually been cool

Mister E posted:

Well hot drat, that was a good fight.

agreed ops

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Both of those guys would beat Jon jones under USADA rules :D

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

manyak posted:

Well maybe he did finish an armbar after all

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
shame i was hoping the european dude would slowly beat the guy down. it's pretty high praise that i wanted a lhw fight to go longer.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Big John repeats ad nauseum that damage is the major determining factor that judges are really looking at to determine effectiveness and heavy strikes do a lot more damage than failed sub attempts or single legs or whatever, so even if striking doesn't have official weighting over grappling, it does in practice.

John McCarthy posted:

John McCarthy, the godfather of MMA officials and a man who helped pen the unified rules of the sport, teaches in his seminars that judging rounds is done by the following criteria, in descending order: effective striking and effective grappling, ring or cage control, and then effective aggressiveness. Only if the striking and grappling are equal do you then even consider the latter two items.

What defines effective striking? There's another misconception. Yes, it is damage. The "d" word is never written specifically in the unified rules, because at the time leaders were afraid state athletic commissions would shy away from the sport because of the raw terminology. Effective grappling is defined by significant submission attempts more than position.

He says "effective" means "damage" specifically in the context of striking, not grappling, dipshit.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You're getting all emotional and angry because you're interpreting this as an attack on your authority when I'm just chatting. You don't need to insult me just talk.

I'm not getting emotional, I'm insulting you because you're wrong about something that has been explained in these threads numerous times and is very easy to understand, which suggests to me that you are a dumbass. If you don't like being insulted when you post badly, I would suggest posting better, or less.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

manyak posted:

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
I like armbars so this fight night has met my approval regardless of what happens afterwards.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
^high five buddy

I really love armbar finishes in the UFC. They're pretty hard to come by lately

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 2, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

manyak posted:

Conor McGregor would KO Jon JOnes in under one minute under USADA rules.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I feel like the prelims have over-delivered for what this card is.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

K8.0 posted:

I feel like the prelims have over-delivered for what this card is.

I was expecting a lot of fun matches, although one of them being a heavyweight match was a bit of a surprise, I must admit

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
oh my god there are still 4 fights to go

I should have skipped some prelims

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Conor McGregor would KO Jon JOnes in under one minute under USADA rules.

Jones has a good chin so unless it really deteriorates once he stops taking steroids it would probably be a decision, 49-46 conor

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The first time I typed that I accidentally wrote 'JO' and I think Conor could do that too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Louis Smolka is cool as gently caress.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dos Anjos vs Ferguson is such a stupidly good fight.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
They ushered this TUF guy on pretty quickly.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Grandmaster.flv posted:

They ushered this TUF guy on pretty quickly.

Sergio Pettis got hurt.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Sergio Pettis got hurt.

Ah

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Wow that looks deep.

Moreno had a good fight on TUF, good to see him have another one.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Holy gently caress

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
welp glad I decided not to bet

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

He looked like poo poo on TUF. Goddamn

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
That is just proof of how good this current season of TUF flyweights is. Its stupid good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That guillotine was loving nasty.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
holy gently caress that was insanely badass

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
ref missed that first tap

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Hot drat

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sick upset.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Happy for Moreno

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tumor looking batty posted:

He looked like poo poo on TUF. Goddamn

He had a competitive fight with one of the highest ranked guys on the show. How is that looking like poo poo?

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
That's one hell of a way to make a statement after TUF.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Great guillotine, Smolka even went after the elbow to try and fight out of it but Moreno had it set. I love choke scrambles.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
He's so happy :3

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Cool guillotine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Hahaha, this kid is so jazzed and I love it.

• Locked thread