Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Tasteless fan service, you can totally see her shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This show continues to be an A+ production in terms of direction/animation/soundtrack but Fine is really, really boring and her scenes make me blank out

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

This show continues to be an A+ production in terms of direction/animation/soundtrack but Fine is really, really boring and her scenes make me blank out

Eh, she's been a little too perfect, but she hasn't really been the focus of the show since episode 1. Next episode should hopefully be a good opportunity for the show to flesh her out a little as she deals with the archduke's passing.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

a kitten posted:

Blocking a tank shell with those swords was cool as heck.

She even managed to construct it in the time it took for the shell to reach her. The Not-Zs should probably invest in faster bullets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like fine a lot. she gives good speeches

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

i like fine a lot. she gives good speeches

That's all she does though! So far her personality begins and ends as the Princess of Elystadt. She is more symbol than person. I would have liked to see her become who she is right now over the course of the show. I'd like to see her learn to be a great leader and grow the confidence to give amazing speeches. I want to like her and root for her but there's nothing there right now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, they haven't really established her as a person and, with only 10 episodes remaining, I'm not sure how well they will. They needed to humanize her from the getgo for it to work given the show's pace.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, they haven't really established her as a person and, with only 10 episodes remaining, I'm not sure how well they will. They needed to humanize her from the getgo for it to work given the show's pace.

Er, ten episodes seems like a lot of time...

And again, I would say the odds of the show spending some time in the next episode humanizing the person whose dad just died are pretty good.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 16, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

GorfZaplen posted:

That's all she does though! So far her personality begins and ends as the Princess of Elystadt. She is more symbol than person. I would have liked to see her become who she is right now over the course of the show. I'd like to see her learn to be a great leader and grow the confidence to give amazing speeches. I want to like her and root for her but there's nothing there right now.

Not even that. Her one character trait is believing that the job of royalty is to be selfless civil servants, a view held by approximately 0 historical monarchs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Er, ten episodes seems like a lot of time...

And again, I would say the odds of the show spending some time in the next episode humanizing the person whose dad just died are pretty good.

Ten episodes is shorter than you'd think, especially if the coming episodes have as much action as these first three

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's like literally countless numbers of shows with that many episodes with plenty of characterisation, so it just seems like an odd thing to single out as a potential problem
is all.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 16, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, they haven't really established her as a person and, with only 10 episodes remaining
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

Not even that. Her one character trait is believing that the job of royalty is to be selfless civil servants, a view held by approximately 0 historical monarchs.
lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Man, Germania doesn't seem to grasp this combined arms thing very well, do they? And they have generals micromanaging formations of 16 tanks from the HQ?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

a kitten posted:

There's like literally countless numbers of shows with that many episodes with plenty of characterisation, so it just seems like an odd thing to single out as a potential problem
is all.

I think it's a valid complaint, especially with how many new characters are introduced in every epjsode, and given that there are plenty ty more in the OP we haven't met yet.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, Izetta owns.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I'm on chapter 2 of Hokuto no Ken. When does Kenshiro become more than stoneface punchman.
Haha, Berserk chapter 2? Angry swordsman. Wow big sword, much dark souls.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I'm on chapter 2 of Hokuto no Ken. When does Kenshiro become more than stoneface punchman.
Haha, Berserk chapter 2? Angry swordsman. Wow big sword, much dark souls.

12 episodes is basically the same as hundreds of chapters of manga, you're right.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm only saying I have concerns about them really giving Fine more of a character, but that's less important than

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Holy poo poo, Izetta owns.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 16, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Are you going to make any posts in this thread that aren't bitching about the lack of realism in the show about a witch who flies around on an anti-tank rifle?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm only saying I have concerns about them really giving Fine more of a character, but that's less important than

This. Even if they don't but it stays this fun and exciting I'll watch it to the end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are you going to make any posts in this thread that aren't bitching about the lack of realism in the show about a witch who flies around on an anti-tank rifle?

This is a dumb argument. Fiction with fantasy elements isn't exempt from criticism of implausible characterization.

Personally, I don't have trouble believing that Fine was raised with a very strong sense of noblesse oblige, but the criticism isn't automatically invalid.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

This is a dumb argument. Fiction with fantasy elements isn't exempt from criticism of implausible characterization.

Personally, I don't have trouble believing that Fine was raised with a very strong sense of noblesse oblige, but the criticism isn't automatically invalid.

And when I see any more substantive criticism than "The names are stupid" or "The princess is too nice," I'll give it due consideration.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

GorfZaplen posted:

12 episodes is basically the same as hundreds of chapters of manga, you're right.

Characters don't need to show nuance and deep-seated inner turmoil right out of the batting cage. The length of the game doesn't have a bearing on this.

It's cool to want to know more about Fine but it's dumb to express it as criticism like "man, this character is so flat." A character doesn't need to be the dynamic in a story. Again, look at Kenshiro. He remains largely the same man while change in the story comes from his companions and brothers. He can just be the cool-as-heck punching man because everything interesting revolves around him.

its just bullshit to say that 3 episodes in, Fine can't just be a strong-willed princess. I think it's even sexist.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really think it's a fair accusation, actually. Like I think there's an interesting conflict in that Fine's sense of duty conflicts with her desire to keep Izetta out of the war.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

I don't really think it's a fair accusation, actually. Like I think there's an interesting conflict in that Fine's sense of duty conflicts with her desire to keep Izetta out of the war.

Yeah. I can sympathize with wanting to see Fine when she's not putting on a strong face for her people, but I think we've been given a good base to build off of for the next while. And again, we're only 3 episodes in - the first episode mostly characterized Fine, but it had to do double duty with giving us the basics of the setting, and I think it was more important for the show to immediately and firmly establish Fine as a strong and noble leader and to demonstrate her attachment to Izetta than to show her weaknesses just yet. Then the next two episodes were much more focused on Izetta and the war - which I thought was a pretty reasonable pacing decision. Like I said, if the next episode or so is spent on a brief reprieve before the war builds back up again, I think there's plenty of time to characterize Fine more thoroughly before we get too close to the climax.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

Man, Germania doesn't seem to grasp this combined arms thing very well, do they? And they have generals micromanaging formations of 16 tanks from the HQ?

I liked the part where they gave up complete air superiority because the planes alone hadn't caused the collapse of an entrenched defensive line.

Granted this campaign is clearly a joke from any serious military standpoint for Germania, so they probably just put all the habitual fuckups they had as the brass because its loving impossible to lose a war when one side has an air force (and this way they won't gently caress up anything important).

Shame about the witch throwing that bit out. You know, Izetta is basically a Harrier that doesn't kill its pilot 75% of the time. Someone tell the F-35 people to look for witches.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 17, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
how else could they have characterized fine? they could have made her a blubbering wreck, instead they made her a loving badass

and as for her convictions: this is the early 20th century, plenty of nobles were espousing post-enlightenment ideals of government for the people. its not like she's an anarchist

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Characters don't need to show nuance and deep-seated inner turmoil right out of the batting cage. The length of the game doesn't have a bearing on this.

It's cool to want to know more about Fine but it's dumb to express it as criticism like "man, this character is so flat." A character doesn't need to be the dynamic in a story. Again, look at Kenshiro. He remains largely the same man while change in the story comes from his companions and brothers. He can just be the cool-as-heck punching man because everything interesting revolves around him.

its just bullshit to say that 3 episodes in, Fine can't just be a strong-willed princess. I think it's even sexist.

I don't think it's sexist to want to see more characterization for one of the main characters.

I'll concede that she might not be a dynamic character and I'm fine with that. I'll eat my words and admit I jumped the gun.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't think it's sexist to want to see more characterization for one of the main characters.

I'll concede that she might not be a dynamic character and I'm fine with that. I'll eat my words and admit I jumped the gun.

YeahI think the way you clarified earlier isnt a problem.. It just gets weird when Fine gets attributed instead of leaving it at "yeah it bores me"

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/HugBdrill/status/787653105366077440

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok those are pretty funny.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I can't believe I never thought to make the "izetta of the (week)end" joke, even after repeatedly having those kanji come up as the first IME result when trying to type 終末.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Those are great.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
If Valkyria Chronicles taught me anything, she should have used the lances against the tanks.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

doesnt need to be, the wehrmacht happily engaged in mass killings of civilians, sometimes as reprisals, other times because they were of a particular ethnic group

Yeah, that illustrates what I was getting at even better, I suppose. I think even to this day there is a degree of whitewashing the Wehrmacht's role in Hitler's atrocities. It's pretty important to rebut the ideas that the Wehrmacht was an ethical organization dragged around by Hitler's mania when in fact they were gleeful to be a part of purging the untermensch.

In fact I think the only mass killing that was actually unpopular was Hitler's extermination of the disabled, and that was because the catholic church actually managed to find its spine for once.

So I'm cautiously pleased that the anime is including at least some subtext that the not-Nazis are complete monsters on a core level.

e: gently caress it I'm just going to plug Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland by Christopher Browning, which is about how a working class schlubs deemed unfit for the Wehrmacht became utterly blase about committing mass murder, to the point these 500 boring dads murdered 80000 Polish Jews.

Money quote:

quote:

Trapp then absented himself, spending the rest of the day indoors, away from the action. One policeman remembered seeing Trapp at his headquarters muttering, "Man. . . . such jobs don't suit me. But orders are orders." Another remembered him crying. He later told his driver, "If this Jewish business is ever avenged on earth, then have mercy on us Germans."

According to the book, when giving the orders to commit mass murder Trapp told his men that anyone who wished to be excused from this task were free to do so. 12 out of 500 took him up on this.

Everyone under the Nazi regime was complicitly or actively a monster, or a victim.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 21, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The way that this show handles its soundtrack remains weird and graceless (they'll often have a piece of music that suits part of a scene playing for all of it), but this fight scene was way better than that limp-rear end dogfight in Episode 2. They really managed to show the kind of lunatic chaos that Izetta can bring to the battlefield, and made it impressive, beautiful, and funny. It was also a nicely placed and pitched palate-cleanser after the grim WWII curbstomp of most of the episode.

I just hope that getting an actually good weapon doesn't hinder Izetta's creativity too much. It'd be a crying shame if she just flies around and shoots things after acquiring that gun in the OP, especially after the treat we got in this episode - not least because Episode 2 rather damaged my confidence in the show's ability to make flying around and shooting things look interesting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i enjoyed the dog fight in episode 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i enjoyed the dog fight in episode 2

And that is your right. I, however, found it way duller and harder to follow than it should have been.

• Locked thread