Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Checked out Funi's simuldub of Episode 1 on a whim - a show with an explicitly western setting like this seemed like a more natural fit for an English dub than a lot of Anime, so I was curious to see how it turned out. Well, so much for that. Maybe they turn it around, but man Episode 1's dub was terrible. The incidental roles were fine and the SS rear end in a top hat on the plane was appropriately smug and assholish, but it's all undercut by the fact that the two female leads in the lesbian war drama just suck. Fine felt way way way too stiff - like a lot of poor dub performances where they don't want to go full ham like a lot of the Japanese VAs but lack either the talent or direction to give a more subtle performance. Izetta, granted, only had a handful of opportunities to make an impression, but when the first memorable line of the show is Izetta singing in the opening flashback and you completely botch it... I mean, I can probably fault poor direction for the fact that she was holding the notes way longer and with way less bounce than the original performance, but that excuse probably doesn't work on the fact that a bunch of notes were waaaay out of tune.

Shame. Like I said, this show seemed pretty dub friendly, I might have kept up with a good one.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

damaged my confidence in the show's ability to make flying around and shooting things look interesting.

Macross Delta should have prepared you for that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
A simuldub seems like the worst possible idea

I mean CR's subtitles can get rocky at points already due to the speed. Trying to put together a script and record it within a week leaves no room for editing passes or voice takes. What you get is likely really close to a first draft.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Fine tried so hard not to cry over her father's death, but even she has her limits :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New episode was okay. I didn't really care for the fanservice, liked most everything else well enough. Met the Emperor, "The United States of Atlanta," learned more about Izetta's powers, got a nice blueprint for the show going forward.

Title for the next episode makes it sound like things are going to take a bad turn, though.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

time to conquer the world

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Finished the episode awhile ago, and yeah, the next episode preview coupled with that flashback of Izetta trying to contain her powers tells me something bad is gonna go down

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

time to conquer the world

You joke, but that last exchange does make me a little nervous, especially given the Code Geass connection. Think it'll be a big mistake if this show ends on a dark note.

Edit: Skimming back over the episode reminds me of something I've wanted to mention for a while - I really like Fine's VA, which is saying something since I usually don't notice Japanese VAs unless they're really good or really awful. Like I alluded to when I was talking about the English VA's poor performance, the original actress really leans into how bombastic and hammy most of her lines are, and she emotes waaaay better. She really sells the tears at the end of 3 and the start of 4.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guess that answers whether we got a Fuhrer or a Kaiser.

Assuming the Emperor sticks around, of course. He just doesn't quite have that main-villain vibe, in comparison to that not-SS guy.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 22, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
just watched Episode 1 and I'm glad I decided to have a second look at the offerings this season -- this will be a week-by-week one rather than a watch-when-you-get-a-chance one

also

i stand by diggity dog

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Guess that answers whether we got a Fuhrer or a Kaiser.

Assuming the Emperor sticks around, of course. He just doesn't quite have that main-villain vibe, in comparison to that not-SS guy.

Could be a 'greater-scope villain' sort of thing where he's nominally in charge of the villains while Berkman or whoever is the one who's actually hostile/poses a direct threat to the heroes.

Also worth noting that he mentioned prison camps, though it's not clear yet whether those are for The Inferior Races or just general dissidents.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

A simuldub seems like the worst possible idea

I mean CR's subtitles can get rocky at points already due to the speed. Trying to put together a script and record it within a week leaves no room for editing passes or voice takes. What you get is likely really close to a first draft.

A 'simul'dub is usually a few weeks behind, or at least Funi's are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Could be a 'greater-scope villain' sort of thing where he's nominally in charge of the villains while Berkman or whoever is the one who's actually hostile/poses a direct threat to the heroes.

Also worth noting that he mentioned prison camps, though it's not clear yet whether those are for The Inferior Races or just general dissidents.

That's how I'd normally expect it to go, but he doesn't quite have the presence for that. Those sort of remote ultimate-evil villains are generally supposed to be the scariest, most impressive dudes around, manifestations of the pure, refined villainy that our heroes only ever brush against. Gihren Zabi, Emperor Palpatine, Charles zi Britannia, they're all the most terrifying motherfuckers in their faction, and make it instantly clear from their very first appearances. Berkman is way more intimidating than his boss, which usually isn't a good sign for a boss's long-term health in fiction.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm a fan of this not-hitler. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't give him the stache for fun, but at least he looks fabulous instead. I can take that.

I agree with what someone earlier said that the only thing that keeps annoying me about this show is the unnecessary fanservice, and even that isn't bad enough to really bother me that much.

Looking forward to seeing the big coronation/Izetta reveal. It seems like it'll be fun.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, that was certainly foreboding...

And poor Izetta worried about sullying the bed. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the upbeat ending into the unusually sombre ED does not bode well.
Also I'm the last person to complain about fanservice but 'comedy groping' should die in hell.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

A 'simul'dub is usually a few weeks behind, or at least Funi's are.

I know, but it still does mean it's rushed compared to the norm.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, that was certainly foreboding...

And poor Izetta worried about sullying the bed. :(

Yeah, self-esteem continues to not be a strong point for Izetta.

Also, something that occurred to me - the flashback didn't actually make it entirely clear whether or not Izetta WAS actually responsible for burning that barn down. We'll have to see whether she ever has trouble controlling her powers even before she starts bleeding.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

She actually said she was the hero who saved the country, not the witch (she did say "witch-sama" instead of "you", though). Possibly an important bit for showing how people are reacting to news of her existence.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So, honest question then what is wrong with that translation?

"you, the witch, is the hero who saved the country"
"you the heroic witch saved Eylstadt"
"You're the witch that saved us! A true hero!"

e: i think i'm crabby this morning. But, i honestly don't feel any nuance or meaning was lost there.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

a kitten posted:

So, honest question then what is wrong with that translation?

"you, the witch, is the hero who saved the country"
"you the heroic witch saved Eylstadt"
"You're the witch that saved us! A true hero!"

It's not necessarily that bad a translation, I just wanted to point it out since the maid referring to her as a "hero" is possibly a deliberate move by the writer to show what ordinary people's attitude toward the witch is. That comes across well enough as is, but using the word "hero" drives it home more.

If I were to change it though, I'd just remove witch entirely, instead of hero. The Japanese sentence is straight up "Witch-sama is the hero who saved Eylstadt!" It makes more sense to me to do this:

"Witch-sama is the hero who saved Eylstadt!" -> "You're the hero who saved Eylstadt!"

instead of this:

"Witch-sama is the hero who saved Eylstadt!" -> "Hero-sama is the witch who saved Eylstadt!" -> "You're the witch who saved Eylstadt!"

edit: I just left the "-sama" in to show the words with it were being used like a pronoun.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Edit: Skimming back over the episode reminds me of something I've wanted to mention for a while - I really like Fine's VA, which is saying something since I usually don't notice Japanese VAs unless they're really good or really awful. Like I alluded to when I was talking about the English VA's poor performance, the original actress really leans into how bombastic and hammy most of her lines are, and she emotes waaaay better. She really sells the tears at the end of 3 and the start of 4.

Give Akagami no Shirayuki-hime a try then, she also does the main character there.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
There's no fan service like granny panties fan service.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The images they show of Neue Berlin seem clearly inspired by World Capital Germania.

All that talk of world peace is terribly ominous. I suspect we'll see Berlin destroyed by a magical nuke by the end of this. The fact she can't use magic in the capital city of Elystadt seems also to be clear foreshadowing.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
"Witches as a critique of Nuclear Proliferation and interventionist Imperialism" is the thematic buzz I was getting from this episode's final monologue.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gave the second episode of the dub a watch last night just to see if Izetta's actress was any good or if Fine's turned it around. With the slight exception of the childhood flashback sequence, the answer to both was a resounding nnnnooope. I feel like it's probably a matter of direction moreso than talent, given how fast they're having to churn these out, but at the end of the day the two leads are just unbearably stiff. There were some reads in there that had me pining for RWBY.

Just a shame. Was rooting for a good dub for this one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's not the worst I've heard but it's not one I'd call great either.

It definitely seems to be a direction issue. I would not be surprised if the script translations being sent are doing a poor job of context.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Xinder posted:

I'm a fan of this not-hitler. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't give him the stache for fun, but at least he looks fabulous instead. I can take that.

his stache is literally the exact inverse of the hitler stache and i refuse to believe this isn't on purpose

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New episode was good. Thoughts

-I do kinda wish the coronation had been a bigger deal, but the episode had a lot of stuff it wanted to do, so I can't really fault it for picking up the pace a bit.

-Fleshed out Berkman and the enemy squad a bit better. They're totally going to spring a deadly trap on Izetta at some point and I'm starting to dread it. :ohdear:

-The whole propaganda war aspect of this episode was really fascinating, and they had some cool tricks to help sell it. "A False Miracle" in a different sense than I was expecting.

-Mildly surprised Jonas is still around, I initially took him for a one-off after he missed episode 4.

-I like that Izetta felt the need to put the propaganda show on herself - and I also like that they acknowledged the practical purpose of evading photo analysis as well as the moral one.

-I will say, the secret was obviously going to come out in a story like this, but the way they did it was a bit of an eyeroller. WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU TWO OTHERWISE SMART HIGH RANKING PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THIS RIGHT OUT IN THE OPEN :psyduck:

-I guess we're in for a breather episode next week? Tagline was a bit of a groaner, but the taglines actually haven't been that informative to what the episodes are going to be about so far, so eh.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 29, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looking forward to next week being an episode about Izetta's boobs

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

New episode was good. Thoughts

-I do kinda wish the coronation had been a bigger deal, but the episode had a lot of stuff it wanted to do, so I can't really fault it for picking up the pace a bit.

-Fleshed out Berkman and the enemy squad a bit better. They're totally going to spring a deadly trap on Izetta at some point and I'm starting to dread it. :ohdear:

-The whole propaganda war aspect of this episode was really fascinating, and they had some cool tricks to help sell it. "A False Miracle" in a different sense than I was expecting.

-Mildly surprised Jonas is still around, I initially took him for a one-off after he missed episode 4.

-I like that Izetta felt the need to put the propaganda show on herself - and I also like that they acknowledged the practical purpose of evading photo analysis as well as the moral one.

-I will say, the secret was obviously going to come out in a story like this, but the way they did it was a bit of an eyeroller. WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU TWO OTHERWISE SMART HIGH RANKING PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THIS RIGHT OUT IN THE OPEN :psyduck:

-I guess we're in for a breather episode next week? Tagline was a bit of a groaner, but the taglines actually haven't been that informative to what the episodes are going to be about so far, so eh.

One was smart, one was less so. That old, hothead general has always been the weak link for Fine's crew.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Darth Walrus posted:

One was smart, one was less so. That old, hothead general has always been the weak link for Fine's crew.

It's still eyerolling, since he'd been shown to be reasonable before, though hotheaded. All the other guy had to do was reply "Can we MAYBE not discuss this out here? There may be people listening in, let's have the conversation elsewhere."

So far the show has been good, let's hope next episode doesn't break the streak.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm definitely seeing overtones for a magical nuke somewhere, but that's probably Neo Berlin. Hopefully not not-Japan though - as it wouldn't make any sense thematically taking the show there at any point nor paint them as one of the bad guys along Germania - Unless we get not-USA wanting to kidnap/hijack Izetta's power. There are some plot points that could lead there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dessel posted:

I'm definitely seeing overtones for a magical nuke somewhere, but that's probably Neo Berlin. Hopefully not not-Japan though - as it wouldn't make any sense thematically taking the show there at any point nor paint them as one of the bad guys along Germania - Unless we get not-USA wanting to kidnap/hijack Izetta's power. There are some plot points that could lead there.

I'd be staggered. We're basically halfway through the show with what looks like a breather episode coming up - I'd be stunned if the Pacific Front ended up mattering after not even existing so far.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 29, 2016

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Mikl posted:

It's still eyerolling, since he'd been shown to be reasonable before, though hotheaded. All the other guy had to do was reply "Can we MAYBE not discuss this out here? There may be people listening in, let's have the conversation elsewhere."

So far the show has been good, let's hope next episode doesn't break the streak.

This did not bother me so much, I mean where else can they talk without being overheard? Certainly nowhere in a military encampment, walking off into the woods then standing next to running water is about as good as they can likely manage.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Patrat posted:

This did not bother me so much, I mean where else can they talk without being overheard? Certainly nowhere in a military encampment, walking off into the woods then standing next to running water is about as good as they can likely manage.

...You know, this actually makes more sense than I thought it did. It didn't look like they had any bunkers or anything secure out there.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I'm more wondering why they didn't tell the guy in the first place. Keeping it a secret from an inner circle member like that somehow makes even less sense than talking about country-destroying secrets a short walk from camp like that. Especially if you're just going to tell him when he inevitably comes to ask about it later anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm more wondering why they didn't tell the guy in the first place. Keeping it a secret from an inner circle member like that somehow makes even less sense than talking about country-destroying secrets a short walk from camp like that. Especially if you're just going to tell him when he inevitably comes to ask about it later anyway.

He had the broad details, but Izetta being there herself was a last-minute change they hadn't had a chance to brief him on yet, and that was the bit he was mad about.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Patrat posted:

On the contrary, they could have discussed this back at camp. In a tent (so no one can lip-read, just in case) that is heavily padded (muffles sound) with a radio playing at high volume (drowns their voices out) and guards keeping a twenty-metre perimeter around them.

This is literally the most important military secret the country currently has. You simply do not discuss it anywhere people not in the know might hear. It was the point of several posters during real World Wars.

I'm not complaining that Izetta's weak point got out, mind you, it likely had to be because of plot reasons. But the way it did was dumb. They could have the spy find out despite all precautions, and it would be an additional sword hanging over their heads (i.e.: "their spies found out this closely kept secret, they're just that good, so what else do they know?").

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

There's a real life precedent for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_J._May#The_May_Incident

• Locked thread