Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Hey, thanks, Scyantific, for that great stamsorc writeup. That was exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for, basic but detailed! I'm new enough to this game that I don't know all the acronyms or morphs, and most guides to setting up a character are either so vague as to be functionally useless, or so thick with theorycraft that I can't make heads or tails of it. Could I trouble you for recommendations for setting a magicka nightblade, or are there good resources out there (that don't assume you are max level and have a spreadsheet handy)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Scyantific--that was basically perfect. I've only been playing it for about an hour now, having respecced from my thrown-together stamblade, and it's amazing what an improvement your advice has made. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that! (Ditto the stamsorc advice.) I would suggest linking those two posts in the OP, maybe.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I bought the Crown Store Funbux (tm) Hair Pack and uh...it was probably worth the money. I mean it cost nearly the amount I was automatically awarded by buying the subscription, or as I call it, craft bag rental, so I didn't actually pay extra for it, but...it adds all the hairstyles to your dress-up collection as costumes, so you can swap out hairstyles at any time you feel like it. You can't change your hair color (that requires an appearance change) and you're restricted to styles your race could wear anyway, but it's a permanent collected thing instead of a one-time-use item and it works on all your characters, so that's nice. So if you want dreads on Monday and mohawks on Tuesday and pretty, pretty princess hair the rest of the time, this is maybe a thing to look into.

p.s. are craft guild invites a thing anymore? I would still like one, @atomicgeek

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 24, 2016

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dinurth posted:

What's a good way to make some serious cash early on? I'm only lvl 20 but I'd like to respec and buy some more bag upgrades.

Steal absolutely everything you can get away with. Get at least one of the Legerdemain skills that raise the number of things you can fence. Leave no fancy house unlooted.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dinurth posted:

Is there a particular location/city/houses that yield better stuffs? Or its it just steal everything everywhere?

Bigger houses have fancier things in them, but also sometimes guards (who will disable you from using doors while they smack you to death). So just be aware of your surroundings, be patient, and don't get caught . Each faction capital usually has a big castle (or tree) as well, with the best stuff of all, most of which will be unguarded at least some of the time. So put on your thief hat and go take everything.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Note that every Thieves Guild den has one entrance outside city limits, so if you can get to a wayshrine away from guards, you can go to that outer entrance to pay your bounty without losing your loot. That's assuming you can ditch them in the first place of course.

Always be stealing!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I hate to bug y'all again, but any advice on building and leveling a stam DK? Is that even possible since so much of the class is based around mag?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Scy posted this a few pages ago:

Oh good grief, how did I even miss that. Thank you so much!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I've been trying to re-interest myself in finally getting my magblade that last few levels to 50 and I wanted to thank Dori so much for your awesome writeup (also Scyantific for all your help with the other guides too). The thing I like about MMOs is exploring and finding things and I am not really all that good at working out what skills are good and what are scrub-tier and I always appreciate the work of folks like y'all in just breaking down how to do this stuff so that I don't have to think about it too much. :3:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

DisposableHero posted:

Great. Thanks for the replies. That's much clearer. In that case I have a few errant points from my first couple levels but gather I can respec those pretty easily at some point.

You can respec them now in fact! Go to your capital city (if you're in Ebonheart Pact it's Mournhold in Deshaan, you might have to travel to pick up the waypoint if you haven't been there yet) and look for the temple. Inside will be three shrines: one resets your attributes, one resets your skill points and/or morphs, and one is for marrying your RP lizard bride I guess? IDK Mara seems like a weird god.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Morglon posted:

So the new characters I've made after the expansion hit are not getting writs at all after completing certification do I have to get the to ten or whatever before I get them?

I had that issue with a character I rolled on Vvardenfell and as soon as I popped over to Davon's Watch to get some other things, the writ quests showed up correctly. Try going to a different zone.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I have kind of a silly question. I have a character that I want to add the vampire line to, but while playing one day I randomly got the werewolf bite buff (debuff?) and it's still there, weeks later. Will it prevent me from getting a vampire bite later even if I don't take on the werewolf questline?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I remember it being so sterile in the beta. Containers were empty and the crime system wasn't implemented yet, so you couldn't really steal or pickpocket or any of that fun stuff. Combat had this weird floaty disconnected feeling because the timing and the animations were pretty rudimentary. I came back to try it out about a year ago after Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood were added, and all the things I loved to do in other ES games were finally there--sneak around, steal everything, and hoaaaaaaaaard. Combat mechanics were much more responsive (were interrupts, blocks, and dodging even there in the beta?). And I found myself actually enjoying the stories--each of the zones are designed with a zone-wide story that you can watch unfolding as you play through, and most of them have a good satisfying resolution at the end. So yeah, if you hated the beta, I would say so much about the game as a whole has changed for the better, it's worth taking another look.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I have a favor to ask if anyone's willing to help out:

After about a year now I only have a handful of traits that I've never gotten as drops to research. If anyone can craft these things (you know, as crappy level 1 whatever), I would be eternally in your debt, and of course will reimburse you for the materials used. Right now the only things I can't craft are:

Prosperous Gauntlets
Infused Pauldrons
Training Swords
Training 2h Axes
Training Daggers
Precise Ice Staves

Hit up @atomicgeek in game if you wanna help a sister out. Thanks!

Y'all rock, thank you so much.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 11, 2017

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Sent you these in the mail. Don't have the others, sorry.

Thanks, you rock!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

The Locator posted:

These are in the mail.

Your name is written in the stars, or possibly just shaved into my cat.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dangit, I missed one thing, infused medium bracers. I hate to ask because everyone here has been so generous, but if anyone can throw a pair my way I'll reimburse the mats to you. I WILL KNOW ALL, BE ALL, SEE ALL

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also how representative of the base game is Vvardenfell? The Balmora questline especially is amazingly long for MMO quest chains.

Somewhat representative? Every zone in the game has its own zone-wide storyline, but most game zones aren't as physically large as Morrowind is, and as an xpac it has a more detailed storyline anyway, so your mileage might vary a bit on that. But yeah, expect every zone to contain a longish story that takes you through the whole zone.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

NOT TO BREAK UP THE CIRCLE OF KIMCHI but i'm having some kind of weird internal error and i can't even load up the help page the error tells me to go to....

Is everything broken or is it me?

(edit: it is ARAMEK-SENPAI NOTICE ME)

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I wanted to shout-out the incredible generosity of goons @Scarlet-ibis and @thefloobyest who put together a really awesome pvp set for my idiot self on incredibly short notice. I asked for advice, I got sweet gear. I am still really bad at pvp, and when my BG teams win it is in spite of my ineptitude, but I'm now level 4 in Assault and so close to those caltrops I can taste 'em. (They taste like rust.) Thank you, friends, let me know if I can ever repay the favor.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 24, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Verranicus posted:

So I picked up all the expansion intro quests and the lead-ins when I got to Auridon, but my quest log is cluttered as poo poo and there doesn't seem to be a way to hide quests. Can I drop these quests and pick them up again at a later time?

Hey Verranicus, in case you didn't find this, there's a mod I use to manage my quest tracker called FCM Quest Tracker that lets you expand and collapse quests by quest type/zone. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for if you don't want to actually drop quests but just don't wanna see all that poo poo on your screen? It also lets you drag the quest log around and customize it in a ton of ways, too. (To answer your question literally: yes, you can always drop quests and get them again later.)

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

What outfit/armor is that? It's rad as hell.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Sorry, still laughing at the dude rolling up in here using "casuals" as an epithet, seriously or not-seriously (but still totally seriously). Friend, this is not the game for that kind of mindset. This is a game for rambling around Tamriel having fun adventures and making friends with skeleton people; perfecting your sick outfit and making an awesome house are totally valid ways to spend your time. You can have fun playing this game however you want, but if you think racial bonuses are badly implemented, then maybe you didn't grok the philosophy of Elder Scrolls, which is all about being open-ended and not necessarily having one best path. This is a chill game where you can make awesome characters and not be "wrong" about how you build them, and I say that as a decade+ veteran of Warcraft--it's not lazy design, it's a deliberate set of decisions that make an entirely different tone for this MMO than for others. There are a lot of joys to be had in this game that have nothing whatsoever to do with min/maxing or endgame grinds, which is why (anecdotally) I've had a great time here. (Warcraft just wore me down every time I hit max level--there is very much more than one way to play an MMO!) (which is to say this game is relaxing and fun for me in a way Warcraft never was once I hit max level and the pressure to MAKE THE GEAR LEVEL GO UP AND UP AND UP, PERFORM THE ROTATION PERFECTLY hit, gently caress that poo poo, not everyone finds that fun)

"Casuals" jfc

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 30, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Scyantific posted:

If that were the case there wouldn't be achievements such as Immortal Redeemer, Tick-Tock Tormentor, or Gryphon Heart, which basically require people to grognard their way into the most efficient builds possible.
I mean, praise the game for catering to the average gamer who just wants to play pretty princess barbie/pretty princess barbie house/ERP simulator 2018, but don't disparage the hard fact that there is an actual endgame, even if it gets boring after a while (you can only push scores in trials so much before you get sick of it) because of ZOS' inability to implement any meaningful endgame content beyond their new approach of "let's make everything a mini-trial even though it's a boring gimmick after the first 3 times."

I'm not disagreeing with you exactly? But I'd say endgame isn't the sole focus of this game the way it is in other MMOs? This is the first time I've played an MMO and didn't feel pressured to race to max level to get to the "real" game, because there's so much game sub-max that exists, to play, for other reasons, like having fun with lore or story or completing achievements or whatever. I'm not saying endgame doesn't exist, or that people who want to play that are wrong, but...there's a lot of other content in this game compared to other MMOs i've played that always kind of chuted you to the max level content without spending as much time making sure you had poo poo to do on the way up. And to me, focusing on the endgame as if it were the sole reason to play the game is, well, kinda a relic of older MMOs where that was really genuinely the thing. Again, if that's what you want from a game, that's what you want, that's cool, I'm just very stoked that ESO has a lot of other stuff in it, and "casual" is still something that makes me roll my eyes out my skull. I love gaming, but I'm not 20 anymore, and the notion that kinda dropping into a game here and there sometimes when life gets hectic is something shameful rubs me wrong.

(oh god did I just argue with Scy) (sorry dude, i seriously respect the hell outta your expertise on ESO, i just think there are conflicting philosophies on what makes a game fun and worthwhile and nobody's wrong)

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 30, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

There are a handful of things in the cash shop that are actually pretty great to snap up if you have the funbux. Probably bank/vendor minions (I've never been able to save that much from my sub without blowing them on silly impulse purchases, so I wouldn't know, but I bet they're cool). I have been able to delay gratification from time to time to get the non-dungeon DLC added to my account (not that the dungeon DLC sucks, I just don't usually play this game in groups so it's not really useful to me to collect). Also I think definitely it's worth it to get the giant batch of hair options, and the equally giant batch of accessories, which are really awesome for changing up your character's look on the fly without paying for an appearance respec. Some of the outfits are cool, and check up on them patch to patch as they rotate stuff in and out to see if there's anything there you think looks really neat. Everything else is optional depending on what you feel like you'll have fun collecting, like, I have no use for non-combat pets but I know plenty of people go poo poo-nuts for them, which is cool. As far as trap options go? Yeah, basically any kind of consumable--skill boosts/experience boosts/dyes/potions/whatever--are mostly things you can get by chance, with free event crate giveaways, with login prizes, with gold, or with achievements and quest rewards from playing in-game, so don't waste money on them in the cash shop.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Rocketpriest posted:

So way back when this first came out I bought the Imperial Edition and never actually played it on release because the combat in the beta felt all floaty and weird. Has this been addressed in the last four years? If I do play it for a bit should I pick up one or more of the expansions or whatever they are?

I played the beta and experienced exactly what you're talking about, and it's a completely different game now. Combat's a thousand times better, as is basically everything else.

You get access to all the DLC if you have a sub, so it might be worth it to sub for just a month and try everything out?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Edit: already answered by Scy

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I have a soft spot for Coldharbour because I love building up the Hollow City and seeing the NPCs I interacted with slowly start to fill up the city. I know it's not that deep a mechanic but I dig it anyway.

I've been away for a few months--when did Alcasthq add solo builds?! They're great!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Scy and the grumpsquad can angerpost, and I'm not faulting them, I know they have things they like to do that are stupid right now and justify them uninstalling...... but as a regular-rear end chump with some level 50s I'm running through stuff using Alcast's solo builds (sidenote, when did they start doing that?! the solo builds are fantastic!).......

This game has more solo story content than I could frankly ever work through and I'm having a great time on covid leave playing constantly. Aaaaaa

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

tbh the thing that drove me the most bonkers about Warcraft going back to 2005 was that you were expected to race through all the leveling stuff and then grind on endgame for months until the next content dump, at which point you'd repeat. I don't love endgame. I know people do, and I'm not making GBS threads on them; but I like just exploring and playing story and having a chill time in a game. Pressure to hit cap and do the same thing over and over for incremental gear increases makes me bored and cranky. Playing a game with so much DLC and zones and story where it's been almost 4 years at this point and I still feel 0 pressure to go in on endgame, that's my platonic ideal of an mmo.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 26, 2020

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Also punching Molag Bal in the face after all that buildup was frankly pretty hilarious. I AM THE GOD OF--WHAT THE poo poo

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

In my idiot experience, once you hit level 50, pvp is a shitshow. I'll be the first to say I'm not GOOD at pvp and never have been, and the only reason I run battlegrounds at all is to get vigor and caltrops for my stam alts. Nonetheless, I had much more fun and felt like I could actually fight and contribute sub-50, but my level 50 character existed only to be stunlocked and curbstomped the entire time. Miserable.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

This is driving me insane, and maybe somebody knows the answer. If not, well, I'll just knuckle down and disable my addons one at a time to find the culprit. This UI element appeared on my screen in the last couple of days:

I haven't added any addons recently, but ofc with the patch, a lot of them have updated. I'm trying to figure out how to disable the drat thing and having no luck. If anyone recognizes it, I'd love to know what addon it's part of.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Altholic is the cause. There's a setting to disable the checklist. Also it doesn't work because it gets stuck calculating your champion points, but if you're willing to spend a minute editing a text file you can get it working again.
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2140-LeosAltholic.html#comments

Basically just put -- on the lines mentioned in the post (not the top post, a couple of posts down.)

You're fantastic. Thank you so much.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I need all your argonian names here in this thread. I'm currently running Fails-Upward but I love all the goony lizard wizard names and I need to see them.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Xinder posted:

i started playing alongside my wife so i decided to be cutesy with it

Kisses-Her-Wife

This is an extremely powerful avatar/post combo.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Make sure to snag all the passive skills on your class lines, racial, armor, and weapon(s).

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

There are two cosmetic bundles I recommend, one with tons of hairstyles and one with cosmetics and accessories. Sometimes it's nice to change up your look a bit and they're just a toggle, instead of spending cash/crowns on an appearance change token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

xZAOx posted:

So yeah, what's your top non-launch zone?

Elsweyr and Morrowind. One thing I really dig about this game is the writers' respect for the downright weirdness of the setting (even in basic vanilla zones btw, Greenwood/Grahtshade get bizarre). Elsweyr leans wholeheartedly into the earthy humor of a culture of cat people and it's delightful. Morrowind is chock full of snotty wizards, ancestor worship, and Vivec being an insufferable nerd god.