Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Baron Porkface posted:

Do boss monsters have "armor" as such? Do they deal crit damage? When do I want weapon damage stat over crit or penetration?

Question #1: Yes, just like you, NPCs have stat values (armor, crit, stamina etc etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dinurth posted:

Just picking this up for the first time to give it a go - all the build info seems to be post level cap, is there a guide for 1-50, does it matter at all what I focus on/put points into?

Level everything. Wear at least 1 of each piece of armor as you level, level your class abilities at least up to the morph (and morph them), if you want to go stamina level 2hander/bow/sword and board.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

lol I never thought goons would rage (so hard) about zenimax making the game better.

By all means, try to level up to 50 with level 4 gear and not spending attributes/skillpoints since new gear and leveling don't matter anymore.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Oh my god, you cant possibly be this dense. If it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 10 with a level 10 sword of red mountain and it takes 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 20 sword of red mountian and it takes my friend 30 seconds to kill a guar at level 50 with a level 50 sword of the red mountain. Why not make it so you only ever need a single sword of the red mountain?!

The game is much better now, absolutely. For sure 100 % agreed, but that doesn't mean that its still not a total clusterfuck of useless poo poo. It just means it was even worse before.

I still don't understand how it's taking you 30 seconds to kill the guar across all levels. Have you actually done this? Do you only use light/heavy attacks? Your power increases at a much quicker rate than monsters* so your TTK should be getting lower unless you're doing something stupid.

*group bosses/dungeons/trials not withstanding

I have leveled a stamplar from 20-31, since 1T dropped, and my TTK is definitely lower. I'm still using the same gear, except for weapons, that I was at the start because I've been too lazy to stop and make new training gear. There have been power fluctuations due to swapping in new skills, but overall I'm killing stuff faster.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 10, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I don't understand why people are complaining about this. You can now level up from 1-50 however/wherever you want, you can also group with ANYONE (hellllooooo powerleveling, I'm sure scy or someone that's ridiculously powerful could plow dungeons for people to level them up quickly if he wanted...), once you're 50 and hitting CP you can now go to ANY zone and grind to your hearts content, or you can go back and do quests you didn't already do and actually get XP!

I dunno, this seems really good to me, I ran into an issue with my first and second chars where I outleveled my progression and ended up fighting poo poo that was giving little/no exp, now that never happens!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Is a Full Heal Templar really useful, IE: Will it get me groups faster then anything else? Can they still solo thing? Can Full Heal dudes learn daedric summoning?

healers are sought after, but you also want some damage stuff, you're not going to fill up both bars with healing crap, probably 1 bar will be resto staff, templar healing things, and a buff/damage thing and the other will be something like maybe destro staff + a heal or two? I dunno.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tanreall posted:

PvP bugs weren't fixed and now there's a stuck in combat bug which prevents you from using your mount and fast travel.

I hope they can get this bugs fixed soon because I'm enjoying the game when it allows me to play.

Stuck in combat bug has been around for a bit, I've had it happen a few times over the past couple months, end up having to quit to clear it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

As far as I know, all souls are grand and there are no lesser souls, I'm not even sure if you can fill the lesser gems if you have them still.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Verranicus posted:

So how do the various faction zones work with One Tamriel? Before you'd just kinda be led into new zones via questlines and I seem to remember each factions ones being more or less disconnected from those of the other factions. How do you go from one factions to anothers?

I believe* that you n ow have access to wayshrines you would otherwise not have access to.

What I mean is, I believe you can now access the first wayshrine for each faction (i.e. the starting city) although perhaps you are able to access a wayshrine in each zone.

*I'm not 100% sure on which shrines you have access to as I've not started a new character, but I played a lowbie and iirc he had access to all 3 starting zone wayshrines.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

So my inventory is gradually getting cluttered up with (Level 1) treasure maps, for areas I haven't been to yet. With the way scaling works in this game, will I get better treasure if I hold onto those until I'm higher level, should I just go running around on a big treasure hunt right now, or what?

Also yesterday some dude yelled at me for "resetting the spawn timer" on a delve boss. Is there some sort of weird etiquette for fighting those that I don't know about, or was he just being a baby?

gently caress him. I haven't had anyone yell at me when I roll in and kill poo poo, but since halloween and the item drop changes people have literally been camping EVERY boss in every zone, so I'm not surprised you ran into some sperg.

I do know there's some internal timer for the plunder skulls, something like 3-5 minutes, but I'm pretty sure you won't hit that timer if you sit and camp one boss.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

oh man just did maelstrom arena for the first time last night, it was pretty fun, got to the boss of second arena, but I was super tired and kept loving up. Gonna swap to overload for one of my ults and hopefully blow through a few more.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ugh tried to farm spriggan's, I got 1 piece in ~5hours and it was a dumb piece with roll dodge reduction.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Also, selling all white gear that you find, decon green+ stuff and sell the stuff you get from that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

When I'm going thieving I just roll my stamsorc with bolt escape, gently caress the guards, I can run forever and bolt escape away.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

the writs also go up in level as you level one of the skills (I think) whichever one lets you work on more advanced materials.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Cathab posted:

I know everyone keeps saying that this game is really flexible in terms of how you spec, which is great, but the only other MMOs I've ever played personally you've had to follow fairly strict guides (generally) in terms of how to build your character's skills. Which in my mind has been a blessing, because following a guide for all of my character build stuff enabled me to just focus on the game itself and progressing. As such, the thought of spending these skill points 'somehow' without any sort of indication/guiide is making me procrastinate constantly and causing me to not play at all (I'm like this in life in general I think, without a clear direction I just give up entirely - it's hosed tbh). Can anyone maybe give me a decent overview of how to spell 18 levels worth of skill points for a DK?

What do you want to do? If you're mostly going to "solo" up to 50+, I'd roll stamina, put all your attribute points into stam. 2hander, sword/board, and/or bow would be your go-to with medium armor. Put skill points into all your racial abilities, class abilities, your armor and your weapons. I haven't played a DK really so someone else could maybe give you better direction there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mitztronic posted:

So I've been having a lot of fun with this game (it feels just like Skyrim w/ group dungeons to me, since I've never played with mods). I'm somewhere close to lvl 30 now with a wood elf assassin (still not really up to date with all the faction names in this game). I have some (possibly) really dumb questions:

- Does each faction have it's own unique areas? or can I go anywhere? I've only been to Auridon and Grahtwood. Looking at the world map, it's not clear if everything is open to me (i.e. all the blank space on the map is for other factions?). If so, can I do all the quests there, more or less? How about cities? None of this is really clear to me since it seems like the game has gone through some major revisions that may have effected this...

- how many different main stories are there? is it (class/race/faction) specific?

- If I want to play around with other builds, is it best to just roll another character/class that is more suited to that playstyle (i.e. destruction / restorative staff), or once i reach max level I can just play around with whatever and it won't be particularly difficult? I'm torn here because I don't really have a lot of time to play, so investing in a new character would be difficult.

Also if anyone wants someone to play with on PSN and do random poo poo, add me (PSN=jonmitz)!

1) Each faction has its own unique area*. You can go anywhere, you can do all quests everywhere.

2) There are 3 factions, you will only have 1 "main story" from your home faction (this might be dated, you might be able to progress it in other factions), it will show in the quest log under the Main Story heading, but there are stories for each zone that you can do the quests for.

3) You can do it on the same char, what I do when I want to switch builds is respec my morphs typically, but if it's a huge change I'll respec all skill points, it's not too expensive

*each faction having its own area is kind of a nebulous thing now, since you can travel anywhere from level 1. I believe you should have a wayshrine for each starting zone for the 3 factions.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

There's a ton of extra skill points in the game so you'll be fine. Anyone know if getting all of the skillpoints will let you max out all of the skills? (aside from ones exclusive to other classes/races obv.)

I don't think so, I'm only short about 40-50 sky shards, and missing some skill points from dungeons/trials, but that's at most another 10-20, so I'm missing maybe 60 skill points and that might fill out my class skills and weapon skills, but I'd still be left short on 3 crafting lines, some guild poo poo, undaunted etc etc.

*edit*

Having said that, you get a shitload of skill points, you will not have issues unless you are dumb like me and doing crafting on your main.

Still not too much trouble, when I want to change things up slightly, I just kill all my morphs for cheap, if I'm making a big change (like when I went from light armor/staves to medium/2handed) I respeced all points.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Archonex posted:

So how the hell do you get through the Maelstrom arena as a bow/dw nightblade?

I get up to that one place with the archers that can do a charge up attack for massive damage and the poison shrooms that spawn whenever those mobs spawn and I just get wrecked. Either by the traps suddenly appearing and going off with no chance to avoid them as i'm kiting down the enemies or that giant Argonian boss with the near instakill attack.

I'm thinking I need more healing and health. The last time I did the arena on a siphon and healing oriented nightblade I stomped everything. It was slow as hell though.

You NEED to stun the argonian when he's charging, that will stop his deathblow, and when you get the poison on you, make sure to hit the pond when it's got around 10 seconds left OR get hit with it again which resets the damage.

How much health do you have?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Archonex posted:

With food buffs about 24K.

That seems about right from what I've heard from other guys. I'm actually rolling 21.5kish with food buffs, but I have not had much luck in vet arena, still haven't completed it :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'm curious what sets people are rolling right now as stamsorcs?

My gear atm is kind of garbage, I just built a 160cp hundings set which is ok, and I'm rolling 3pc sith jewelry for HP until I get something better. I was trying to farm spriggan's for the 5pc but dear god, it's painful, just GETTING spriggan's to drop is an exercise in frustration and then actually getting divines on it is even worse, so I've given up on that, but I can't even find any decent pieces to buy.

Also, I'm running dw/bow, and I'm curious what 1handers people use for PvE (sword/axe/mace) and what weapon enchants? Currently I've got a 3kish disease on the bow, and am running dual stam absorbs on the onehanders, but I think I'm going to re-enchant one weapon to a damage enchant because I think double absorb is too much at this point.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I see what you're saying, because as a stamsorc, I utilize my class abilities as buffs and all my spenders are dw/bow abilities which are available to everyone.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

I think the total number of skill points available is somewhere north of 360. It takes about 120 to max out all of the trades, so you could max out all of the trades and enough racial/class/weapon/guild lines to have a solid build, but maybe lacking flexibility.

I would also argue that the +tempers on decon and +tempers on refinement talents are pretty mandatory for crafters.

e: should have read the rest of the page

Yeah I dumped the node one and the research ones once I got maxed out, although I'm only rolling 3 tradeskills and GF does the other 3, so I have (almost) plenty of points to have a well rounded character.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I have been interested in this game and plan on trying it during this free weekend. I am a little confused about the subscription and gold edition.

The game is on sale for $10 or gold edition for $30 which includes DLC. but i dont see the DLC prices separately... It sounds like I don't need to subscribe monthly unless I want the leveling bonuses or whatever. but how much is DLC if I only get the $10 version?

In summary, what is the least I can get away with paying to get access to the most content if I end up liking the game?

DLCs are like 2000-4000crowns depending on sales/which DLC. I would pay the 10bux, if you like the game and would not mind monthly charges and feel like you'll be playing a while, subscribe. Subscribing to the service gives you all DLC and some other perks (crafting bag is HUGE if you're going ot craft, seriously, I subbed literally just for this)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

What level of gear are you ready for vet/hard mode at? I've been doing this nightblade tank build and have it pretty much all together except I'm an Argonian and I'm missing the helmet. Also, CP is at 272.

When you respec do you have to re-level individual active skills, or does it remember that you've leveled them up even if you don't have any points in them?

If you've leveled up skills they stay leveled, just inactive unless you put points into them. So if I have level4 wrecking blow and respect, if i put points into it, then morph it to WB again, it will be level 4 still.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

Should I be using charged attacks constantly or is it more use them when sneaking/the target is stunned?

Heavy attacks restore resources, but light/heavy attacks are not your main source of DPS, typically you're weaving them with your abilities, you'll want to learn how to animation cancel (cuts off an animations ability early, thereby finishing it earlier and you instantly do a light attack or charge into a heavy), and you'll basically be doing skill - light attack - skill - light attack etc. This is a simplification because that's not ALWAYS the optimal way of doing things.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pretty much all the 1 dungeons you can do with a decent stam dps as tank, and probably the 2s with someone a bit better. My stamsorc can tank most normal dungeons at this point (haven't tried WGT or a few others) and only needs a healer 5-10% of the time. I still feel like my DPS is poo poo though, sitting at 20k health and only like 28k stam with 160 blue food.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

jjac posted:

Are group kicks from not having the one true build an issue in this game because that really kills a lot of the potential for me.

Nah I haven't seen a person kicked yet other than for being AFK.

It might be different if you're running the hardest dungeons, but definitely not the case for 95% of stuff.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

sluggo is mad posted:

I miss those nearly unlimited skill bars from rift. Still, the stam skills from the dw line won't do you any good on a magplar. I hear there's a stamina morph for sweeps, but I wouldn't know because a great man (Ennuid) once told me, "friends don't let friends stamplar."

News at 11: Stamplar's are God,

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Blood altar is garbage.

Most (all?) of the undaunted skills are garbage from what I've seen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Overemotional Robot posted:

I bought the gold edition and I guess I have a month of ESO now? What happens to the stuff in my craft bag when that runs out?

Stays there, you can pull stuff out, but not put stuff in.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Can anyone weigh in on the usefulness of Daedric Mines and its morphs, particularly in tanking strategies? I'm not even to the point where I've unlocked it, but it seems like there's a lot of potential there—assuming, y'know, enemies actually fall for it. And while at a glance it seems that Daedric Minefield would be the more useful of the morphs, I wonder about the instant-arming aspect of Daedric Tomb.

Also on the wikis when they give a variable for the amount of damage a skill does, does that mean it scales with your maximum magicka/stamina?

Yeah daedric mines is underwhelming especially if you're trying to tank, since as a tank, you'll be pumping stamina.

Look into the fighter's guild trap skill if you're looking for a quick dps thing, if you turn it into rearming trap, you get 2 uses out of a single button press.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

So, ultimately, a magicka-focused sorcerer tank build isn't worth exploring because the very basics of it (like, blocking) are dependant upon stamina then? Dammit, I thought I was maybe onto something there.

I guess I'm limited to "healer" if I ever want to respec my Argonian sorcerer into anything where my race choice would actually be a boon. I'm too far along to want to restart with a new class, so I'll just live with it I guess.

There are magicka based tank builds that perform well, but I don't think you pump magicka enough to actually do a ton of damage with it, since you still need stamina for blocking and taunt skills etc.

I could be wrong though, I've yet to do the tank thing in this game, but I do know DK magicka tank are a thing.

Also, it's fairly painless to level up another character, your CP points are accessible across all characters (so if you have 250 CP, you can allocate them for each character starting from level 1), all you have to do is the 1->50 thing again, which isn't too bad especially if you have xp scrolls, then you just run around, grab skyshards and maybe do some mage guild/fighters guild dailies to level those up.

Just get to like.. level 15-20ish, gather some skyshards, then run dungeons non-stop with xp scrolls running, if you have them.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 29, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

the only group thing i did was this giant minotaur dude with berke, and he wiped us like three times before we were able to get enough people in to kill him

im new and have no idea how the game works but he would look at me funny and i'd collapse, repeatedly

probably a world boss? Those can hit pretty hard, especially if you're just starting. With less than 18kish XP a lot of bosses can straight up one-shot you (in dungeons or world bosses) and hell, they still can with 20khp if you don't dodge their bullshit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dinurth posted:

The only time I have ever completed a dungeon is when I run with goons. Pubs always always end horribly.

Maybe the One Tamriel thing doesn't work well with dungeons, but they seem really broken as a non-level-cap player. I just queued for a normal dungeon and got in a group of levels 11-15, and a maxed out guy. We did fine until we to a particular boss and we wiped so the level capped dude yells at us for being in that dungeon at such low levels - we loving queued for it!

Depends on the dungeon, the DLC dungeons and the 2s (2s used to be the vet dungeons) are tough with lower level people because mobs have higher HP, packs of mobs are typically larger, and there's more damage being dealt.

1s are a breeze and there was something seriously wrong with the setup and skill level of people (like someone running bow/dw but queuing healer and poo poo like that) if you had trouble. Hell, a decent tank wouldn't even NEED a healer in a 1, as evidenced by 4dps runs and poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

In all the 1s I can stand in whatever dumb poo poo the boss is doing and heal myself, 2s/DLCs can be a little dicey doing that.. just depends which one, but I'm a stamsorc so I probably have it easier than other classes I think.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

graynull posted:

I was looking into trying this again after only getting maybe 10 levels a few months ago. I had a couple weird questions before I begin though:

1) Is there much purpose in having multiples of the same class? I know there is a respec system but not sure how feasible it is to be doing full respecs

2) Are you kind of expected to join all the guilds? I remember the mage and fighter guilds from vanilla and know they added DLC for thieves and dark brotherhood. I know the guilds are a lot different than normal TES games, where you (or at least I) pick one or maybe two to join and specialize in.

Odd questions but I'm a bit of a spazz.

I have 2 templars, one is stam one will be magicka.

I do this because I am lazy and do not want to collect 300000 skyshards again.

The reason (in my opinion) it is better to have multiples is because you limit your farming need (you can trade gear between characters even if it's bound anyway) and your CP points apply to ALL characters (but they individually spend the points), so all you do is level to 50 again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

The guilds are basically just questlines that unlock unique skill lines and the opportunity to craft particular set items. They approach you automatically as you level and there's no real reason not to do them.

This, you will also get skill points for doing their major questlines which will assist in putting points into their passive skills, and, the passives for the guilds (especially thieves/legdermain/DB) are really good if you're into stealing from/murdering people. Stealing/murdering is the best way to make money imo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

You have to be level 1-X to see it (I don't remember what level jute turns into flax or whatever the second tier thing is)

The resources scale to your level, so either you buy it, or you farm it with a character of the appropriate level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm following this guide, just hit level 20. So far everything's going great, although I usually feel like I don't really know what I'm doing - everything dies and I never do, so why should I complain?

Still, I'm wondering how I know what abilities to use. I'm still duel wielding, and I use puncturing sweep, vampire's bane and dark flare, with breath of life for my heal and wall of elements for Staff Leveling. I have no idea if this is optimal. Do I only switch out skills in situations like, say, healing in a group?

Why am I using Dual Wield? Heavy Attacks restore stamina, which I don't use. Logically I should switch to Resto Staff or Dest Staff. I assume Dest staff is if I want to build a DPSer, and Rest staff is for being a healer. Do I need Rest staff skills if I want to heal, or do I just use my Restoring Light skills? Is a certain element Dest staff better than the others? My Dest Staff is already leveled a bit from wall of elements, but as an Argonian I benefit more from being a healer. Is there any reason I should level sword and shield? I feel like Argonian Magplar does not lend itself well to tanking.

You are using dual wield because the last passive in it is a % damage increase, you will use 2 swords and get a 5% bonus to damage. Not sure about healing, other than the fact that you can heal a gorup with JUST resto staff abilities, I'm not sure if you even need to take class abilities for it.