Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i am exposed to docker via commercial software that is all about ~*microservices*~ and maybe its bad?

i hope it gets better, stay safe programming goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MeruFM posted:

docker is ok
docker-compose up is great

But it seems like fixing docker-swarm/kubernites/storm/etc errors is really bad and our prod system goes down all the time and no one can fix them because can't find master or partition error or smth

is this the true computer janitoring world?

what is your setup and what infrastructure are you running on?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm building a framework on mesos for my bioinformatics lab. it'll run programs (like nuclei detection in a 3d embryo image) developed by our lab and others at the request of the biologists in our lab. so far it works pretty well, and the flexibility is definitely a plus. our old system was trying to do something similar but with bash scripts, no resource monitoring, and a bunch of other horrific stuff

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

pram posted:

efs is loving epic you dumb shithead

whats the usecase of EFS vs S3 tho?

Like, for transient poo poo that u dont care about if it disappears you'd just use the on volume storage with your EC2 instance, but for poo poo that you don't want to lose you'd use S3, wheres the bit in the middle that EFS fills?

(Also EBS, but I guess thats for like... "installing your big gay dumb app if ur not using docker / reproducible builds")

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
iirc you can auto age stuff out to glacier from s3.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

yep. if i wasnt clear i meant "why would you use X instead of just using S3" in my original question

s3 is v. good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well i mean its an nfs share. i assume there's some janky thing that mounts s3 buckets as filesystems but the main difference in that theoretical showdown is that efs is just a fuckin' nfs drive, and s3 objects are immutable. change one byte in a 1gb s3 object and you have to re-store it

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

maybe im being dumb but for most use cases that i can think of, if you're using S3, you would either

a) be smart and use byte offsets to update the object or the multipart upload API
b) use on-volume storage for large files that change often in small amounts because theres no need for them to be on s3

im curious to know what you'd be doing that requires an nfs share on aws

obviously mounting s3 buckets as filesystem is dumb and bad and should not be done

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
efs is good if you have to do poo poo with windows instances

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

uncurable mlady posted:

efs is good if you have to do poo poo with windows instances

at that point you've already lost

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

oh, and don't I know it, but the checks keep clearing

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

never again though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
aws is terrible at windows. they don't even use datacenter

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

the checks keep clearing

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I had to use EFS bc I was told it would take the devs too long to convert the application to use S3 and we just used a lovely NAS server on our old private cloud

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

whats the usecase of EFS vs S3 tho?

Like, for transient poo poo that u dont care about if it disappears you'd just use the on volume storage with your EC2 instance, but for poo poo that you don't want to lose you'd use S3, wheres the bit in the middle that EFS fills?

(Also EBS, but I guess thats for like... "installing your big gay dumb app if ur not using docker / reproducible builds")

theyre not comparable. the major use case for efs is so your container volume storage is decoupled from the instance. this makes deploying k8s/ecs.. pretty much everything very easy. if you use ebs then the closest you can get is making api calls pre container provisioning and rely on things like rexray (or rolling your own drive management)

https://github.com/emccode/rexray

doing away with managing block storage attachments also makes deployment of stuff like elasticsearch and kafka super easy. these maintain partition and shard data, but now the compute nodes are disposable.

in addition ebs is susceptible to az outages. efs is auto replicated. etc. if you dont understand the usecase of nfs, a 30 year old technology, and products like netapps and zfs filers. then yeah yr dumb. hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
amazon made this thing andLOL its completely useless. didnt any of their engineers realize that s3 exists?? uhh hello

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

pram posted:

doing away with managing block storage attachments also makes deployment of stuff like elasticsearch and kafka super easy. these maintain partition and shard data, but now the compute nodes are disposable.

this is the only part of this post that isn't word salad but ok this at least makes sense

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
work polple: lets use docker
me: ok it still looks pretty immature but with some work it could simplify some of our dev and build setup, and maybe when theyre more mature even some of our stateless..
work ppelope: lets run our databases and file stores in dock er
wkrhop peoere: letsu use a distributed filrsystem because posix filesystem is teh best network rpc

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

abraham linkedin posted:

docker is bad, just use freebsd jails, op

freebsd has docker now :smugdog:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Smythe posted:

Somebody post prams old av

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

thank you

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Smythe posted:

thank you

that dumb text by itself was driving me nuts

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

suffix posted:

work ppelope: lets run our databases and file stores in dock er
:sever:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

pram posted:

theyre not comparable. the major use case for efs is so your container volume storage is decoupled from the instance. this makes deploying k8s/ecs.. pretty much everything very easy. if you use ebs then the closest you can get is making api calls pre container provisioning and rely on things like rexray (or rolling your own drive management)

https://github.com/emccode/rexray

in addition ebs is susceptible to az outages. efs is auto replicated. etc. if you dont understand the usecase of nfs, a 30 year old technology, and products like netapps and zfs filers. then yeah yr dumb. hth

running kafka on shared storage sounds ilke a good way to get the disadvantages of both
if you had a good distributed file system you wouldn't need kafka, but you don't, no one does so you let kafka/zookeeper elect leaders and do replication between nodes except you have efs that is doing the same thing again in the layer below

if youre on amazon why not use kinesis?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have started using makefiles as my entrypoint and it's great (dont do this in production duh).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have started using makefiles as my entrypoint and it's great (dont do this in production duh).

get on my level:

code:

// Directory Structure
prj_root
\_ Makefile
 |_ tmp/
 |_ stuff

// In the Makefile:
.PHONY: all do_stuff
TAG := docker_tag
DOCKER_PID:=tmp/docker_pid

all: $(DOCKER_PID) do_stuff

$(DOCKER_PID): 
    docker run -d -v ${prj_root}:/workdir $(TAG) make > tmp/docker_pid

do_stuff: 
   stuff

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
wow pram is back :eyepop:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

suffix posted:

freebsd has docker now :smugdog:

:mediocre:

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
my work is looking to set up a server for playing with Rstudio server. I said let's spin up a VM and install whatever we need in it. my boss said, "let's do it all in docker so we can use our existing physical servers!"

is he right or am I right

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

space docker LOL!!!!!

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*
i just set up docker swarm on azure it's p ok

made a general resource template that I can reuse for all our different environments and then I did a reverse proxy in go which supports oauth2 authentication on specific networks

it's simple, sweet and hides the dependency hell brought on us by old unmaintainable nodejs services which require v0.10 until someone decides to rewrite them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i started to use docker for CI this week, it is pretty good for testing against multiple versions of language (php :( )
i had to make my own base image because apparently the Cool Docker Thing is to compile everything from source and be super proud about tiny images so the official php images don't include any extensions which every single library in existence relies on

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

i started to use docker for CI this week, it is pretty good for testing against multiple versions of language (php :( )
i had to make my own base image because apparently the Cool Docker Thing is to compile everything from source and be super proud about tiny images so the official php images don't include any extensions which every single library in existence relies on

yeah i use it for building .net core stuff. had to do the same thing and make an image based on microsoft's. works well tho.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i've grown a bit happier with docker now that I've adjusted my project workflow to be more docker-y i guess

the whole 'lets spin up a whole OS stack to run a program' still feels dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I mean making your own base image so it has just your dependencies is kind of the point

• Locked thread