Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Wait. Is there some claim by AMC that a character is definitely going to die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Still hope he kills all those fuckers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

buckets of buckets posted:

the walking dead shows are not art, and worse, they do not even aspire to be art

Ok. Thanks bro.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

vintagepurple posted:

Rewatching the early episodes in AMC's obligatory marathon, god Glenn and Carol could have been better developed. Early Glenn is a loving delight. I also wish Dale stuck around longer, and T-Dawg may be a caricature but I like him.

And I definitely agree Glenn as he played out would be fine getting killed. He hasn't changed in like 3 seasons. And originally him being a wily, nervous rogue type was fun and different, like having him groan at being sent out or when Daryl puts Merle's hand in his pack. Nowadays he's a Rick clone. MUH FAMILY + badass is all his characterization.

Also, at some point everyone switches from bats/axes/bigass knives and brutal kills to everyone just stabbing walkers in the head with tiny rear end knives effortlessly. Seems less efficient, harder to do, harder to maintain, more dangerous, and less cool. Fails rule of cool, kills suspension of disbelief, why? Everyone should be carrying blunt instruments and adhoc spears like apparently the bourgeois survivors use, none of this bullshit. lovely spears and shields, conservative sniper cover, and a decent chokepoint and dudes like Rick, Michonne, and Glenn could tank hundreds of walkers.

Otis was an angel, should've survived, gotten better at cardio, and moderated Carol and Morgan

Imagine wolves, saviors, or tiger king showing up in S2 on the highway

I think this is why the show has lost me. First couple seasons had all these cool characters that were all different and interesting. Now everyone is a super bad rear end that slaughters zombies by the hundreds with pocket knives. Everyone is Rick, and Rick is psychotic.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

This is kind of why I was bummed out to lose Denise. She really wasn't a well written character, but she was distinctly different from the rest of the crew, and the show needs that. I actually like having Gabriel around for the same reason, he's a lovely dude who usually makes things worse but I want to see that.

At least there's still Eugene.

Agrees. Eugene is still unique and probably one of the only main characters I'm rooting for still.

The show is still entertaining for me, but not in the way it's intended. Since I no longer like or care for most of the characters I can get excited to see which one of the fuckers is going to bite the dust. Sadly, I am usually let down and some character introduced 2 episodes before gets killed. And just like Rick and crew, I could care less.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

Guesses for who dies tomorrow GO

In all likeliness it will be one of the five black characters or one of the two gay characters.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

precision posted:

Two? You forgot to count Daryl.

Is that a thing? Makes sense. The show presented him as pretty asexual for most of the show.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Watching Negan gently caress up these lovely characters is so cathartic. One can only hope he continues bashing these fuckers heads in all season.

I have never wanted the "bad guy" to win this much. Did they intentionally make the evil villain the least grating character?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Probably because the main cast is utterly joyless and uninteresting to watch 95% of the time. Negan is a poo poo, but he is a character that actually is a little more interesting in the world he is in. Also he is played by one of the better actors on the show thus far, so he brings more charisma than the 1000 yard stare fest that we get from most of the cast.

Before someone whines BUT ITS THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. I know, I don't expect tap dancing on zombies with show tunes, but since the plot and decision making is hideously dumb, making the characters more dynamic would be something.

I thought about it and I realized that I don't hate all the characters. There is one who was not really a frowny mcscowl angryface. That was Abraham. Only character that I can remember having fun in the last two seasons. Of course he is pretty much a secondary character so his head was going to roll eventually.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I think you may have hit the nail on this point. I'm in a rough place emotionally right now, and the only person standing by me is my bf of 13 years, who's about to be my husband. In addition, I haven't kept up with the comics, and try to live under a rock about spoilers, so both deaths were a shock to me (I even said at the beginning, "I'll bet it's Aaron, Glen's got +10 plot armor"; I had no idea whatsoever). I started crying when Abe got whacked, and loving lost it when Glen did, because their gf/wife was right there watching as it happened. Seeing their spouses cry was what pushed me over the edge. (also, poor Eugene, who was kinda Abe's bro-mance husband. :( )

I'm not in the "I can't watch this anymore" camp, in fact I'm pleased the show has made me feel something. The gore wasn't what got to me --- it's a zombie show, for chrissakes ---, it was more "fuuuuuck, Glen and Maggie were two likeable, competent characters who got together, and now this?" I wasn't torn up at all when Lori died because she was a hot mess of stupidity, but seeing those guys go as their spouses watched their heads get bashed in was painful.

Glenn and Maggie are not likeable. Their only defining trait was being "the married ones."

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The gore wasn't the problem. The lack of impact was. The deaths were borderline comical in execution. This was partially due to the retarded cliffhanger gimmick. We all knew someone was getting smashed so it was just a waiting game. No intensity or suspense

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Negan is the savior. Ricks group murdered his people in their sleep and Negan forgave them and let most of them live. How do you think Rick would react if the saviors snuck in to alexandria and did the same thing? He would execute them all.

Negan teaches forgiveness and penance. He is the light of the new world. He is the savior.

We are Negan.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ElectricSheep posted:

The last time a work of fiction dealt with trade agreements they called it The Phantom Menace

Oh yeah! I remember that movie! Pretty much the whole movie involved negotiating trade deals! So boring! Sad!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

honestly, Abe is the bigger loss here. We've got plenty of dour sad sacks, we only had one foul-mouthed marker-hair cigar aficionado

Agree. Probably the only likeable character on the show. Maybe Eugene too. Abe may have been a killer but I didn't get the same psycho vibe that the rest of the main cast exhibit.

I would watch a show focused on Abe and Eugene.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Did anybody die?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So we have the Saviors, the Kingdom, Ezekiel, and Jesus. Did I miss anything? Is the show trying to do something with this or do they think it's just fun names?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Luvcow posted:

There was a Noah and an Abraham and there's still a Gabriel and a Judith

I wonder if we could liken Abraham and Eugene to the biblical Abraham being ordered to kill his son. God, of course stopped him. Who stopped Abe from killing Eugene? I honestly can't remember.

Edit: Is there any way to connect Noah to his biblical counterpart? I just remember him as another dead black guy.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 2, 2016

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anyone get their heads bashed in episode 2 or 3?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

The best part of this whole episode was watching Negan's face change when he heard Carl's gunshot. For the first time since we've seen him you get a little peek behind the mask.

JDM is great and Negan's cockiness is a nice change from normal but man is it constant. His scenes so far are him over and over again going "Ha ha Rick! I'm in charge! There's nothing you can do! Ha ha! I'm so goddamn crazy!" It's fun but there's no depth, and I feel like it's gonna get old quick if they keep dragging out these nothing episodes.

He has as much depth as the sad sack main characters. They are all one dimensional.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The Archaic posted:

You are objectively incorrect since the Carol take-down of Terminus has probably been the best part of this entire series, and the death of the straggling cannibals was very satisfying.

I think the ending of the Terminus storyline was the last time this show was good. Some of the Alexandria stuff was cool with the group becoming villains but that all got thrown out pretty quickly.

Re Shane: The most tame of the main characters now are so pschycotic that they make Shane look Mr. Rogers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This show would be improved a million times if they just had Carl go full "Carl Poppa"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So has negan been on the show since the first episode?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Who got shot? Guessing it wasn't one of the main psychotics because the thread would still be freaking

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Has the main character death count gone up any more since that first episode?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I don't get it

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I don't watch. I check in on thread to see which of these pieces of poo poo are dead.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Hey dudes! Have any of our fearless heroes died this season since episode 1? Please tell me Rick is dead.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Khablam posted:

They all died in season 5 and got replaced by whispering zombies who only talk about how killing everyone they meet is wrong but also guys we REALLY need to be killing everyone we meet.

This post is more entertaining than TWD.

I would like the show better if they went in this direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aM9Ch97U8

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Finale? It's over?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I just realised that Maggie and Negan are Batman's parents.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I only saw the first episode of this season and JDM was the absolute best thing about it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Dongattack posted:

He is loving with and crushing the heads of characters i have been annoyed with for literal years, please kill everyone Negan! Plus actor does a better job than anyone else on the show, and by virtue of being new and relatively untouched by the TWD writers is still interesting. That's why i like Negan a lot.

This is why Negan is good. I have only seen the first episode this season so, in my little TWD world, Negan won. Think I will leave it that way.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

If they'd ever acknowledge the main characters are rear end in a top hat villains the show could go somewhere interesting actually.

This is true of TWD also. And they were so close at one point.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cactus posted:

Seasons 5 and 6 were exactly this, I thought as I was watching them, and are my favourite seasons because of that fact. The encounter with the cannibals at Terminus was what finally broke them into accepting that to survive in this world they will have to unapologetically become as violent and ruthless as the people they've been fighting. The scene where Rick chases that guy down in a car and shoots him with a "shut up" was explicitly there to portray that Rick has descended so far he's pretty much indistinguishable from a generic Fallout raider now. When they first arrive at Alexandria their first plan is to take over the town. Living in the relatively civilised Alexandria for a time is what brought them back from the edge. Even this last season Eugine acknowledges to Negan that his group has killed far more of Negan's people than vice versa. Of course, all of this was done in the usual amateurish way walking dead writers use that we all know and love. But I do feel that in the main series the acknowledgement being talked about has happened.

Yeah they were the villains of Alexandria up until they weren't. It's been a while but doesn't one season end with Rick literally executing a citizen and the next start with everyone all happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Season two was the best.

Shane was right.