Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who would win in an epic showdown
Goku
Superman
Saitama
Gilgamesh
View Results

• Locked thread
Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I think that your turn always ends after a charge, otherwise that would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Ah poo poo! I knew I was forgetting something haha. That'll teach me to nova build while I'm tired.

Minor: Skulker Poison
Move: K4
Standard: Opening Move: 2d4+6+2d8(sneak attack)+1d8(executioner)+1d8(Frost weapon)+4 skulker+1 light blade expertise. Nilashwar gains a defense boost.

Above attack will hit on anything that isn't a 1 and is guaranteed to bloody the creature, so.

Free: Press the Advantage: 2d4+6+4 skulker+1 light blade expertise

Action Point: Low Slash: 1d4+6+4 skulker+3 flanking+1 light blade expertise and slide the creature away from Jasper.

Still works alright :v:. Rather than trying to stop it from whacking Jasper, it's more aimed at putting it down, or allowing Jasper to deliver the final blow, so he can focus on himself in the following moments.

45 minimum damage assuming hits, 66 average, and a top level damage of 88.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 27, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
In that case, Nil is still on the receiving end of one or two aura attacks, but since those are not coming out of Jasper's Hit Points, I'm all for it!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Well, either way, our sorceress has to go first!

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah yeah just got off work, I don't even want to try phone posting for 4e combat.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Oh, sorry - wasn't trying to pressure you. Apologies if it sounded that way.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
More tactical options: if the Slasher goes after Nil once it has been pulled off of me (say, if Nil does Low Slash first and then follows up with Press the Advantage and/or Opening Move to make himself a target for the Slasher's aura attack), it will be targeted by my Shocking Feedback Immediate Interrupt. I don't know if Nil want to intentionally put himself in harm's way like that (since he doesn't know what I can do, that move probably wouldn't make sense in-game), but it is one way to pile more damage onto the creature.

Alternately, if Nil somehow manages to eat the thing's OA, then my Shocking Feedback will trigger as well, because it can't then target me in response.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Starting Position posted:

End Position posted:

Dark Star Slasher Moved K4&5->L4&5->M4&5 :v:, I think that only counts as 3 squares of movement, so I don't think Jasper should be immobile/taking ongoing damage? I'm not super clear on how large creature movement works, but I think it only counts the squares their edge moves into.

Jasper's situation may be less dire than it looks haha.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 27, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Dark Star Slasher Moved K4&5->L4&5->M4&5 :v:, I think that only counts as 3 squares of movement, so I don't think Jasper should be immobile/taking ongoing damage? I'm not super clear on how large creature movement works, but I think it only counts the squares their edge moves into.

Jasper's situation may be less dire than it looks haha.

The Slasher was taking an opportunity attack anyway, so there's no reason not to back up into the darkness to get the bonus. Would have been more clear if I had known about the movement trace feature though! That's why I mentioned it moving backwards in the prose.

Skirmisher mechanics are sort of inconsistent on this, some (like here) just require a certain number of squares moved, even if its in a circle or something, while others require them to be a certain number of squares away from the starting position. I guess it just sort of depends on flavor; my intention for this monster was that it had to build momentum to get the bonus, potentially provoking opportunity attacks if it didn't have its special movement power up.

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

others require them to be a certain number of squares away from the starting position.

Aha! I was fiddling around with warlock stuff last night, so I've got their shadow walk mechanics on the brain and the prose slipped my mind, thanks for the clarification! :)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Well, this thing is certainly a mess of anti-nova and auto-damage! Ah well. Time to take one for the team. And by one, I mean...several, probably.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Don't worry as soon as this wisp goes away Gina will join you in blowing up to explode the baddie.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Well, this thing is certainly a mess of anti-nova and auto-damage! Ah well. Time to take one for the team. And by one, I mean...several, probably.

Its aura damage is only 1d6+3 (x2 for two additional actions in its aura); that's not so bad.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The damage being applied is a bit inflated there, sneak attack is once per turn and it's been applied to every attack. I dunno if you've got the feat that lets you sneak attack again on an action point, but that doesn't account for the second set. :ohdear:

e: I blame my miss on pointing this out. :cry:

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 28, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Bleh, sorry. Wasn't thinking when I was doing that. Editing now!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yo Melchiresa, go attack the slasher for Jasper so he can deal with it on his turn. I can deal with the wisps and the amalgam.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 29, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

berenzen posted:

Yo Melchiresa, go attack the slasher for Jasper so he can deal with it on his turn. I can deal with the wisps and the amalgam.

I should be OK, actually. I almost certainly won't kill it with my regular attack, but if it attacks Nil on its turn, then my Shocking Feedback should definitely take it down.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

As a dwarf, do I get my save versus going prone. Also did you factor in -1 to forced movement?

E: looks like I forgot to put it in my block. I'll correct that error when I get to a computer.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 30, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

berenzen posted:

As a dwarf, do I get my save versus going prone. Also did you factor in -1 to forced movement?

E: looks like I forgot to put it in my block. I'll correct that error when I get to a computer.

Oh, I forgot about the Dwarf -1 to forced movement! You're not prone then.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Note to self: When Diesa ultimately betrays me for being an abomination, be sure to use the multi-square push or pull powers to launch her into the volcano! :supaburn:

:v:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'll just make sure to second wind as a minor before that to get my AC up to 30.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Good thing none of my attacks go after AC. :drac:

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TychoBrahesNose, I believe nothing can make an opportunity attack on its own turn, so you should be good to use Thundering Armor regardless.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
So I mentioned that there are a few conditions for triggering my Interrupt, which I assume will be relevant when it's the Slasher's turn to act. Looking at its available options, here's what I figure could happen:
Bristling Movement: Since Nil is adjacent to it at the start of its movement, it will attack him first, in which case my Shocking Feedback goes off and I am not subject to an OA (since it will not yet have moved Jasper-adjacent).
Blade Burst: if that recharges, well, then I think Nil and I are just hosed.
Void Eyes: If it targets Nil, then my Shocking Feedback goes off and I am not subject to an OA. If it targets me I'm probably going down.
Impaling Blades: If it targets Nil, then my Shocking Feedback goes off and I am not subject to an OA. If it Shifts to be Jasper-adjacent before attacking Nil, then I'll still trigger my SF even though it will get an OA, since it would have to a) hit and b) roll an 11 or 12 on damage to knock me unconscious. I'm willing to take that bet for the chance to kill it outright.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mince Pieface posted:

TychoBrahesNose, I believe nothing can make an opportunity attack on its own turn, so you should be good to use Thundering Armor regardless.

Hmm...I wasn't sure of the rules on that, since my Immediate Interrupt has the Weapon keyword, and the only Weapon I have available is a Ranged one, which (in theory at least) should trigger an OA if it is used adjacent to an enemy. But I have to say I've never encountered this particular situation before. In any case, you're the DM so Rule 0 obviously applies.

E: Ah, right, there it is on page 268 of the PHB: "You can't take Opportunity Action on your own turn." So I'm all good to take it down with Shocking Feedback regardless of what it does (as long as it targets Nil in some fashion).

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 31, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Hmm...I wasn't sure of the rules on that, since my Immediate Interrupt has the Weapon keyword, and the only Weapon I have available is a Ranged one, which (in theory at least) should trigger an OA if it is used adjacent to an enemy. But I have to say I've never encountered this particular situation before. In any case, you're the DM so Rule 0 obviously applies.

Relevant compendium entry:

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mince Pieface posted:

Bristling Movement vs Nilashawar and Jasper: 2#1d6+3 9 5 This isn't a hit, so Shocking Feedback can't trigger.
Void Eyes vs Nilashawar and Jasper: 2#1d20+7 20 21 1d8+8 12
Jasper interrupts with Shocking Feedback!
Shocking Feedback vs Dark Star Slasher: 1d20+12 27 2d8+7 21
The Dark Star Slasher is killed!

Uh, you rolled d6's instead of d20's for the Bristling Movement attack, but whatever -- your subsequent d20s hit, which means Shocking Feedback still would have killed it. But now its corpse is over there instead of over here.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Uh, you rolled d6's instead of d20's for the Bristling Movement attack, but whatever -- your subsequent d20s hit, which means Shocking Feedback still would have killed it. But now its corpse is over there instead of over here.

It's not an attack, it just does automatic 1d6+3 damage on movement! Hence it's not a "hit" and Shocking Feedback can't trigger.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mince Pieface posted:

It's not an attack, it just does automatic 1d6+3 damage on movement! Hence it's not a "hit" and Shocking Feedback can't trigger.

Wow, yeah, I missed the part where there's no Attack roll specified in the power's description. This guy is a real rear end in a top hat; I'm glad he's dead. Maybe I'll go over and kick him on my next turn for good measure.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Gonna make a guess that I just bloodied this thing.

E: whoops, I guess it's a bit difficult to beat 10 on a saving throw when you're rolling a 1d10 :v: Still, rolling 9 twice on a d10 isn't too bad.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 31, 2016

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Ya gotta try to jump from one dock to the other Cirno/Jasper, you just gotta. (Or I guess Jasper can plink away with his crossbow but whatever.)

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

It'd only require two move actions and a DC20 athletics check to jump between the I6ish region over to one of the rowboats and into melee range! It'd be fiiiiiiiine. Practically no chance you fall into the port and through a sequence of bad rolls drown! In that vein, I'm preparing myself for the next 15 rounds of combat where we just all constantly roll critical failures and the Voidcorpse just slowly picks us apart one by one, my luck on the dice has not been kind to me the past few days :v:.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

At least it's theoretically feasible to reach it. I literally can't get to it unless I run.

Actually, I think I can make it, by double moving and making a DC 10 athletics jump, which would get me right in front of Tamak to free action mark it.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 31, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

ArkInBlack posted:

Ya gotta try to jump from one dock to the other Cirno/Jasper, you just gotta. (Or I guess Jasper can plink away with his crossbow but whatever.)

I'd be attacking with my crossbow anyway, even if I were closer. And since it's within my first range increment even from the other dock, there's no reason for me to try to get closer.

Someone should also be looking into the source of the keening; those of us farthest away from the rest of the action are probably best suited for that, since we're least likely to affect the battle in the next round or two.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 31, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

ArkInBlack posted:

Or I just shoot my gun!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

berenzen posted:

At least it's theoretically feasible to reach it. I literally can't get to it unless I run.

Actually, I think I can make it, by double moving and making a DC 10 athletics jump, which would get me right in front of Tamak to free action mark it.

If it managed to survive all the way up to your turn, at least now you should be able to charge it if you want :v:.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Successful Businessmanga posted:

If it managed to survive all the way up to your turn, at least now you should be able to charge it if you want :v:.

I sure I can charge it's redead corpse.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

berenzen posted:

I sure I can charge it's redead corpse.

It might get back up! Smush it to bits!!!

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

:spooky:Halloween intrusive thoughts fungus!!:spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mince Pieface posted:

:spooky:Halloween intrusive thoughts fungus!!:spooky:

Should I wait for others to post, or can I just blast the thing with my gun?

Also, Happy Halloween!

• Locked thread