Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST
Problem description: My PC crashes, seemingly randomly, while playing games or video - the display freezes, computer is completely non-responsive and the last fraction of a second of audio plays repeatedly for a few seconds then goes silent. Problem has happened when doing either one of those things, but is more common with games than video, and even more common when doing both simultaneously. It doesn't seem to matter what game I play: modern, GPU-intensive games seem to have the same chance of triggering a reset as much older DOSBox-emulated ones. On reboot, the PC seems to not notice anything was wrong, and no crash dump is generated. Event viewer recognises the PC was rebooted unexpectedly but does not list any events prior to the reboot.
Something that may or may not be relevant: crashes tend to occur in the evening. This seems to be true whether I have been using the PC all day or only for an hour or so before the crash happens. However, the crashes don't seem to happen at the same time or at any predictable intervals.

Attempted fixes: I have run Memtest and CrystalDiskInfo with no sign of error. I have run stress tests on the GPU, CPU and RAM which have all completed with no errors. I carried out full scans with Avira, again no detections. I have completely disassembled my PC and rebuilt it to rule out bad connections. I have tried running the PC with some of the HDDs disconnected. I have been monitoring heat in all components, everything is well within acceptable levels.

Recent changes: I don't remember making any changes around the time the problem began.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

System specs:
Custom Build:
CPU: HexaCore AMD FX-6300, 3500 MHz
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97LE R2.0
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB DIMM) Corsair DDR3 @668MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4095MB
Storage: 120GB Corsair Force GT SSD (OS Partition), 1TB WDC HDD (Data Partition), 120GB Kingston SSD (Contains separate Ubuntu install for dual-boot)
PSU: Corsair CX750M

Most of the components are around 2 years old. The GPU and RAM are about a year old, and the Ubuntu SSD is about 4 months old.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd suggest running DDU to completely uninstall the video drivers and do a clean driver install. Nvidia drivers have been terrible this year.

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd suggest running DDU to completely uninstall the video drivers and do a clean driver install. Nvidia drivers have been terrible this year.

Thanks for the tip - didn't work, but it's good to know about DDU for future reference.

I'm pretty sure you were right in blaming drivers, though. A full format and OS reinstalled seems to have fixed the problem.

• Locked thread