Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Problem description: I recently hooked up an old surround sound system to my imac. I'm currently running windows 7 via bootcamp. The only digital output that I had handy was HDMI via mini-display port. This plays sound through the surround sound just fine, but only because it's treating it as a generic LCD monitor. This has the added effect that I either need to duplicate or extend my desktop in order for sound to play. If I set the desktop to only show on monitor 1, it disables the device and I lose my audio out. The reason I don't want to duplicate the display is it's additional power being expended by my geforce 640M. This doesn't do too great if I have anything remotely graphically intensive. The way I have it working right now is by extending the display. This uses minimal resources, but still is using some and also causes my mouse cursor to be lost off the right side of my screen. Ideally I'd like to find some way to just get audio over HDMI without buying extra equipment.

Attempted fixes: I've tried to find drivers for the specific surround system but to no avail. I've tried disabling the display and haven't found any setting or anything that I know of. I've searched online and most issues I find are with audio not properly going over HDMI. I've found adapters and dongles, but would rather not have to purchase anything.

Recent changes: N/A

--

Operating system: Win7 Pro

System specs: 2012 imac.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
It may just be easier to use an aux cable from the headphone jack of the imac and run that into the stereos input.

If you need to use HDMI input on the stereo you can use a chromecast and then run Soundcast on your Mac. Soundcast should allow you to transmit all sound, not just music or youtube.

Soundcast: https://github.com/andresgottlieb/soundcast

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't get digital surround via the headphone jack, though. I like having the surround sound. Seems like my best bet is to just suck it up and buy a splitter for $40.

• Locked thread