Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Aftermath is a Syfy action series that follows the Copeland family as they navigate the apocalypse(s) on :siren:Tuesday at 10pm:siren:

You may have seen ads for this show and brushed it off as some throwaway Tuesday slot Syfy fare. And well, to some extent you'd be right. This is not the best show on TV, and it could have had a much stronger first 4 episodes, however.

However.

HOWEVER.

It's got a charm to it and some promise. I feel like a lot of people would have dismissed this show out of hand without giving it a try, which is what I did at first. So, this thread is mostly to try and get people to give it a shot. The premise is simple, it is the end of the world and the Copeland family are going to try to survive it week to week. Where this show has decided to bank it's success is on the fact that every apocalypse scenario is happening at once. The show starts with a meteorologically impossible Hurricane, Native American Skin Walkers (demons that possess people), a comet is breaking up and impacting the Earth, and there is a plague that is infecting people with full on madness. That's just the first episode. My mental count of supernatural/biological/astrological occurrences around at least ten as of episode 4.

Meet The Copelands

Karen Copeland (Anne Heche)
Karen is Ex-Airforce. She's got balls of steel and shoots guns like no one's business. She was probably a prepper because once poo poo hit the fan she was good to go. She'll do anything for her family, and take a couple risks for a sister that drives her crazy. She's confident that the apocalypse doesn't have poo poo on the nuclear Copeland family unit.

Joshua Copeland (James Tupper)
Joshua was some kinda academic guy when the ends of the world started. He's not a fan of guns, but knows his way around them. By his own admission he's not as tough as Karen, but he's a good foil because when the Karen Hammer won't work, Josh can step in and use some good old fashioned book learning to gently caress people up. Not even exagerating or being glib here.

Matt Copeland (Levi Meaden)
Matt is the oldest of the Copeland siblings. He's definitely protective, but at the same time a bit distant. Might be acting, or the character, but it feels like he doesn't just click sometimes. He was the one destined to run the farm once the folks got too old.

Brianna Copeland (Taylor Hickson)
Dana and Brianna are fraternal twins. Brianna is the one who got the attitude and rebelliousness. That's pretty much her character right now. Had/has a boyfriend in Seattle and was considering running away to him. She's since stopped worrying herself with that, and spent a few episodes trying to reconnect up with the rest of her family after she was kidnapped by a Skinwalker.

Dana Copeland (Julia Sarah Stone)
Ms. Encyclopdia Brown. Knows just about anything the plot will need her to. Spent all her time learning, at the expense of pretty much all other family activities. Doesn't like guns, not religious, probably can't tell a cow from a steer. Will probably know like 100 different bovine breeds though.

Without wanting to spoil any more for people who might give the show a shot fresh, it has been shaping up to at least be something interesting. It has a little bit of fun with itself, but by and large the tone of the show has been to take things seriously, which is a nice contrast to other Apocalypse shows like Z Nation which is just full on camp. This show is about halfway on the seriousness, and I hope they keep the family serious while continuing to layer more and more goofy madness around them. I mean there's a god drat dragon in the second episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm really not sure where the show is going. There doesn't seem to be any overarching plot per se. The closest thing was finding Brianna and that got resolved this week.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They have already lost her twice. She'll be on the lamb again soon. Never fear.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

spooky like this! posted:

I'm really not sure where the show is going. There doesn't seem to be any overarching plot per se. The closest thing was finding Brianna and that got resolved this week.

Yeah, that might be the biggest weakness ultimately. It seems that the big goal will simply be "not die to an increasing number of things that can kill you". That can absolutely be compelling if done correctly, but the show is still a little sloppy. I'm hoping that it tightens things up. The premise has a ton of potential to be fun, even with a core cast of stereotypical disaster movie family. There is some reference on the Syfy website about the dad wanting to discover the cause of everything because then it can be stopped, but that was in some "meet the characters" fluff.

So, maybe the show will eventually shift from one of reaction to everything going wrong, to proactive attempts to stabilize everything? So far that seems like maybe the only out they have in terms of an overall plot.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

We got an episode on at 10pm EST tonight!

Here is the episode synopsis that says next to nothing!

A Clatter and a Chatter

A harbinger of death torments Karen, who has accepted an old friend's assistance; and the Copelands come to the terrifying realization that no refuge is truly safe.

Syfy's website has a different synopsis that just straight up says what the weird bad stuff this week is going to be, so I doubt anyone is clamoring over the website to discover more about their favorite tv show with a 0.68 million viewer count, but if you were thinking about it but also did not want spoilers, I'd avoid the website.

A spoiler though on the guest star if you want it.

Seriously.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah that voice.....that loving VOICE.....who is it? I knowwwww it from somewhere!

OH drat!

bring back old gbs posted:

Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta Apocabitch???

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 27, 2016

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I also watch this oddball show. Found it after Z-nation.

Thought it was going to be dumb preachy thing or maybe a super-serious "The Day After" kind of show but it's...well, different. Something about all of the apocalypses happening at once is awesome entertainment.

re: episode chat that special guest is going to turn out to be an ultra-brutal warlord who tries something with a certain nick-named main character isn't he?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Aftermath: it's the apocalypse, all of them.

I hope they get another season and don't gently caress it up with plot.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Erghh posted:

I also watch this oddball show. Found it after Z-nation.

Thought it was going to be dumb preachy thing or maybe a super-serious "The Day After" kind of show but it's...well, different. Something about all of the apocalypses happening at once is awesome entertainment.

re: episode chat that special guest is going to turn out to be an ultra-brutal warlord who tries something with a certain nick-named main character isn't he?

Honestly, my guess is that all those Skinwalker souls That got released are going to grab people in the compound or assault it head on with new bodies. They haven't shown how they grab hosts, but since Brianna was called a "Host Killer" I guess that means they are actually a pain in the butt to do? Regardless, they hold a grudge.

Being as far as we are in the show, I appreciate that they are willing to fold things back in after introducing them. I was a little worried the show would turn into Apocalypse of the Week. One thing I love is the recurring threats of the Feverheads since once they go nuts, they just love to hang out with each other.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
thoughts.

-There was the hot Asian bone sucker thing that promised Matt he would get what he most wanted, that still seems unresolved unless his sister's phone call was the reward.
-There is the dragon which has made 2 appearances (speculating, possible link, Grandpa Copeland is still missing).
-Brianna is the "host killer" but she's only killed one host right? The cult leader, the guy who called her that. The dude that snatched her away in the ep1 fell on a branch. So maybe host killer is a plot yet to come?

Also I looked elsewhere to see how people felt about it and clearly a lot of people do not understand it's absurdist humor so the show is probably doomed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, I'm not inclined to spend much effort defending this thing. Its syfy as gently caress in good and bad ways, but I'm down to ride this train til it derails.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, if you look at the wiki page for the Japanese vine demon thing (translates as tree vampire), part of the legend is that the blood of it can 'decontaminate' people, healing them. I wonder if that will come up as a way to fight the plague or drive out the skin walkers.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

So, if you look at the wiki page for the Japanese vine demon thing (translates as tree vampire), part of the legend is that the blood of it can 'decontaminate' people, healing them. I wonder if that will come up as a way to fight the plague or drive out the skin walkers.

Do you have the link handy still? I kept trying to phonetically spell it out, and I could never hit anything. I'd actually assumed it was a made up thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubokko

quote:

When a Jubokko is cut, blood trickles out. It is said that a Jubokko branch could heal and decontaminate an injured person.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

-There was the hot Asian bone sucker thing that promised Matt he would get what he most wanted, that still seems unresolved unless his sister's phone call was the reward.
-There is the dragon which has made 2 appearances (speculating, possible link, Grandpa Copeland is still missing).
-Brianna is the "host killer" but she's only killed one host right? The cult leader, the guy who called her that. The dude that snatched her away in the ep1 fell on a branch. So maybe host killer is a plot yet to come?

In terms of recurring plots, the son also seems to have some sort of secret that he's keeping from his family (as implied by his schizophrenic friend).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

:siren:New Episode Tonight at 10EST:siren:

Episode 1x06 Madame Sosostris
When the family splits up, Josh leads half the party to a nearby university to find a prophetic professor, while Karen leads the others to a nearby summer camp on a supply mission.

The preview for the episode was really vague, which is good. Better than spoiling whatever new awful thing the family has to encounter, but they really make the show look bad.

But then again the show might be kind of bad?

I love how much this show puts me on the fence about that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

JossiRossi posted:

But then again the show might be kind of bad?

I love how much this show puts me on the fence about that.

If you read comments around the web it's obvious that most people don't get it. Many mistook the show as serious drama. Plus the show doesn't explain anything and a lot of people struggle with that. I was expecting a Syfy version of Left Behind and I still think that's what it is. I like the show and to me it's a good SyFy dark comedy, a bit absurdist. My family all like it and rarely do we all agree on a show so I think it's like Z-Nation where the more you watch the more likely you are to like it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's basically just a family wandering through various shades of mayhem. It's a romp.

I wouldn't call it a black comedy, there aren't nearly enough jokes -- but it does share that genre's sense of irony*. It's taking a light approach to its setting and subject matter, and it's pretty entertaining.

*No wonder so many Americans are struggling with it. Shows with this kind of tone have always fared really badly when it comes to criticism. e.g. BrainDead, Siberia, The Cape, even Gotham. If the characters aren't winking exaggeratedly at an audience, and the show isn't a serious drama or billed as a comedy, a lot of people don't know how to even approach the show. (Not that all of the above are necessarily good, just that they seem to confuse people a lot).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Not going to live post, but I love that 2 minutes in Mt. Ranier in the distance erupts and Wayne Brady just says, "It does that all the time now."

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
"No one is saved rear end in a top hat it's the apocalypse"

Not sure if exposition is helping or hurting but it's shaking things up.

f/e: drat, booty :stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm still kind of creeped out by soldier boyfriend. He is way too old for her. They tried to walk it back this week but still.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're really overtly pushing this "eh, age of consent is iffy in the apocalypse thing." They kept hitting it with Brianna's amish boyfriend just being a kid too. Its one of the weirder aspects of a very weird show.

I really have no idea what to think of this show. The tone is so oddly serious but not melodramatic and there's just so much casual social norms being challenged in the midst of every crazy thing ever happening. I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to be viewing this show. Its clunky.

But for whatever reason I keep watching so there's that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The father sounds disconcertingly like Noah Wyle so I keep having Falling Skies flashbacks whenever he talks. :psyduck:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I'm still kind of creeped out by soldier boyfriend. He is way too old for her. They tried to walk it back this week but still.

Yeah, I am really not sure why they chose to make this a point in the show. I hope the parents show up and just go, "The fu-" before sentient robots show up or whatever, and distracts people from the rather unhealthy relationship playing out.

At least Dana is the one pushing it more than anything, I guess? Really isn't helping the situation though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

There was an episode today, but I've been too distracted by an actual end of the world scenario to watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was kind of confused as to why the prayer wheel couldn't be used again. It really didn't feel like they made that clear but all of a sudden everyone just believed it. Also kind of glad the soldierboy is dead because they made it extra creepy by saying he was 28.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I thought he said 28 too but my wife said it was 20, she has better hearing so I took her word for it.

The editing and logic has always been jumpy. The episode was pretty dumb even for this show.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I heard 28 as well. Maybe, he was Canadian. Twenty, eh?

It definitely felt like a line was cut somewhere about the Prayer Wheel being usable only once, might have been edited out. Otherwise why would the woman think she needed to pull a gun and get in there first?

There was a lot of hosed up in this episode too with Matt trying to hang a woman from a truck. Also, I know Josh thought that the Volcano wasn't going to erupt (or if it did his wife was dead), but he sentenced those two idiots to a awful death all the while screaming about how they were going to die an awful death.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

JossiRossi posted:

I heard 28 as well. Maybe, he was Canadian. Twenty, eh?

It definitely felt like a line was cut somewhere about the Prayer Wheel being usable only once, might have been edited out. Otherwise why would the woman think she needed to pull a gun and get in there first?

There was a lot of hosed up in this episode too with Matt trying to hang a woman from a truck. Also, I know Josh thought that the Volcano wasn't going to erupt (or if it did his wife was dead), but he sentenced those two idiots to a awful death all the while screaming about how they were going to die an awful death.

Also heard 28. Now that both sisters have watched their soulmates die in front of them it's time for Matt to get his. Or did the succubus thing count?

That prayer wheel looked more like a mandala. Wikipedia says prayer wheels are actual objects that are spun, not designs on the ground. The single-use part was probably just bad editing.

I'm still enjoying the bizarre and absurd one-off elements they throw into each episode, much like Z Nation. Teleporting, reincarnated Tibetan Monk with magical healing powers? Check.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well they just killed Amish boyfriend so I assumed Armed Pedo had plot armor a mile thick. otherwise that's a LOT of crying girls.

but lol

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

Well they just killed Amish boyfriend so I assumed Armed Pedo had plot armor a mile thick. otherwise that's a LOT of crying girls.

but lol

I wonder if they are setting up the twins as actually having a weird power over people. They had 2 guys fall head over heels in love in the matter of like a day. One shot himself over one, and the other mentioned how it was kind of nuts how hard he was falling for Dana and how he thought they would be together for the rest of their lives.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Now that both sisters have watched their soulmates die in front of them it's time for Matt to get his. Or did the succubus thing count?

I'd been assuming he was closeted, tbh. The whole "Why did you break up with your super hot girlfriend / I know your secret" from back in episode 2 set my gaydar off, and nothing the show's done so far has contradicted that.

No, I'm not super attached to / obsessed with the idea, before some goon super overreacts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Matt's "secret" was probably killing small animals for hardcore and quickly hes embraced post apocalypse murder. You'd think killing a schizophrenic kid by accident would give you some pause.

The age thing really creeped me out and I'm mostly glad to be rid of it, but at least they addressed it a little with the mom's reaction and I liked the dad's line of "you gave a gun to an idiot, that idiot killed a good man, and that good man loved my daughter.". Didn't really undo the creepiness but sort of made me understand how the parents might not be pulling a gun on him.

But again, mostly glad to see it go even if it was weird just an episode after Brianna lost her age inappropriate boyfriend. This show is odd and chaotic with its breakneck pace but that's kind of the appeal. I'm watching to see what crazy shows up next and who the first family member to bite it will be. Thought mom or Dana were gonna die this week for sure.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 12, 2016

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd been assuming he was closeted, tbh. The whole "Why did you break up with your super hot girlfriend / I know your secret" from back in episode 2 set my gaydar off, and nothing the show's done so far has contradicted that.

No, I'm not super attached to / obsessed with the idea, before some goon super overreacts.

That sounds reasonable.

Dana and creepy soldier guy had sexy time in the barn didn't they? "I saw his scar" so pregnancy could be on the table...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wormil posted:

I thought he said 28 too but my wife said it was 20, she has better hearing so I took her word for it.

The editing and logic has always been jumpy. The episode was pretty dumb even for this show.

He was definitely older than 20, didn't he say he was in the Army for like 6 years? He had to have been in it long enough to get out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He said 28. It was creepy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

STAC Goat posted:

He said 28. It was creepy.

It's weird too because the actual actor is younger than that.

This show is strange, it's unlike anything I've ever seen. It kills characters faster than Znation and WD combined. I like the crazy, same as I loved S1 of Sleepy Hollow, but I keep wondering where this is going or if they are literally making it up one episode at a time like Under The Dome. The editing is jumpy, a number of times we skipped back to rewatch scenes thinking we missed something but nah, just editing. At least this has continuity.

My prediction at this point is it's Brianna's or Dana's dream, Wizard of Oz style..

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

:siren:New Episode Tonight at 10EST:siren:

Episode 1x08 Here is No Water But Only Rock

As her family struggles to survive an eruption, Karen's visions reveal signs that may be the key to everything.

So, last week a volcano began to erupt. I think we can safely say we'll be dealing with that.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

The show just made reference to time not working right. I think it was actually talking about "broadcast time" how something happening "yesterday" in the show took place last week for us. If that was what they were getting at that is absolutely hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JossiRossi posted:

The show just made reference to time not working right. I think it was actually talking about "broadcast time" how something happening "yesterday" in the show took place last week for us. If that was what they were getting at that is absolutely hilarious.

Someone last week theorized the twins had some sort of power over men, I didn't think they'd make it a time thing.

• Locked thread