Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

In the old days, dungeons were haunted crypts, towers were abandoned wizard posts, and dragons and goblins were violent beasts. Then everything changed as dark magics twisted the natural order, the gods and demons intervened from their realms, and the earth itself warped. Now, dungeons are living creatures that burrow through the earth and absorb the cataclysms and rooms they come across. Towers grow from the earth in spiralling and twisted forms, full of treasures and traps. Monsters spawn from trees, from treasure, from stormy skies, from starlight. The world is broken, but you are still an adventurer. A dungeon seed has blossomed nearby and there's riches to be had - the gold that appears within it, the pelts of monsters you might kill, and arcane relics unavailable anywhere else. It's simple. You get in, you get as much as you can carry, and you get out. Simple.

Recruitment

Straight forward dungeon crawly game with new-world SJWgaming swine scum system.
Taking 3-5, lets get going.
Make a guy with an interesting but simply story, don't spend too long on it.
Original classbooks and improved original classbooks only.
Recruitment ends when it ends.

Edit:
Level 1.
The dungeon has been named The Forsaken Shrine of Amin the Possessed.

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Interest post! Probably a fighter-ish Thiefy type. What's the format, pbp?

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 23, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
From the Recruit thread
Format: PbP

Enoc the Giant, barbarian

When a beard goes white it is time to leave the home and find a grave far away. The ones who stay listen for words of these ones about what they take from this world before they pass. How large and shining is the grave, how many titles in how many tongues are engraved on it. In the afterlife, those things will tell their station, how close they are to the god-rank in the war that never ends.

Enoc has only had white hair from the beginning. The people had little time to tell all the stories one should know before the beard-quest. He needs a reminder from the world to find the stories again and tell them. The reminders are in the dungeons, monsters, coins

quote:

Look
Shrouded eyes, Mighty thews, Unmarred by decoration, Weather inappropriate clothes

Stats
Your maximum HP is 23, 8+Constitution.
Your base damage is d10.
16 (+2), STR
15 (+1), CON
13 (+1), WIS
12 (+0), DEX
09 (+0), INT
08 (-1), CHA

Alignment
Neutral
Teach someone the ways of your people.

Race
Outsider
You may be elf, dwarf, halfling, or human, but you and your people are not from around here. At the beginning of each session, the GM will ask you something about your homeland, why you left, or what you left behind. If you answer them, mark XP.

Bonds
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:
_ is puny and foolish, but amusing to me.
_ ’s ways are strange and confusing.
_ is always getting into trouble—I must protect them from themselves.
_ shares my hunger for glory; the earth will tremble at our passing!

Gear
Your Load is 10, 8+Str. You carry:
dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight),
a dagger (hand, 1 weight)
some token of where you’ve traveled or where you’re from:
wrist-rings
your choice of weapon:
Two handed sword (close, +1 damage, 2 weight)
Choose one:
Adventuring gear (1 weight) and
dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)

Starting Moves

You start with all of these moves:

Herculean Appetites
Others may content themselves with just a taste of wine, or dominion over a servant or two, but you want more. Choose two appetites. While pursuing one of your appetites if you would roll for a move, instead of rolling 2d6 you roll 1d6+1d8. If the d6 is the higher die of the pair, the GM will also introduce a complication or danger that comes about due to your heedless pursuits.
Conquest
Fame and glory

The Upper Hand
You take +1 ongoing to last breath rolls. When you take your last breath, on a 7–9 you make an offer to Death in return for your life. If Death accepts he will return you to life. If not, you die.

Musclebound
While you wield a weapon it gains the forceful and messy tags.

What Are You Waiting For?
When you cry out a challenge to your enemies, roll+Con.
On a 10+ they treat you as the most obvious threat to be dealt with and ignore your companions, take +2 damage ongoing against them.
On a 7–9 only a few (the weakest or most foolhardy among them) fall prey to your taunting.
In addition, choose one of these to start with:

In addition, choose one of these to start with:
Unencumbered, Unharmed
So long as you are below your Load and neither wear armor nor carry a shield, take +1 armor.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 25, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Seraphina Flamehair, The Bard

The songs you hear in the taverns these days are so boring. Who has time to listen to the Epic of the Seventh War, anyways? The Tales of Hrothgar the Bold? Those have certainly worn out their welcome. I may be the one singing them, but it's just awful. Not as awful as starving on the streets, but pretty darn bad. No, we need better songs. I found this songbook a few days back and it's giving me all sorts of great ideas for new songs! Songs that I know the people will love! The melodies are all there, I just need to get out in the world and figure out the words that will fit with them. I'm not exactly sure what all this adventuring nonsense is about, but it can't be too hard, right? I mean, just look at the adventurers that fill the taverns. Not exactly your shining examples of humanity, right?

I've got a sword, a book of magic songs, and a whole lot of ambition. Sounds like a recipe for adventure!

quote:

Name: Seraphina Flamehair
Look: Thin Body, Fiery Eyes, Wild Hair, Traveling Clothes
Alignment: Chaotic (Spur others to significant and unplanned decisive action.)
Race: Human (When you first enter a civilized settlement, someone who respects the custom of hospitality to minstrels will take you in as their guest.)
Damage Die: d6
HP: 21/21

Stats:

STR 8 (-1)
DEX 13 (+1)
CON 15 (+1)
INT 12 (=0)
WIS 9 (=0)
CHA 16 (+2)

Moves:

Arcane Art
When you weave a performance into a basic spell, choose an ally and an effect:
• Heal 1d8 damage
• +1d4 forward to damage
• Their mind is shaken clear of one enchantment
• The next time someone successfully assists the target with aid, they get +2 instead of +1
Then roll+CHA.
• On a 10+, the ally gets the selected effect.
• On a 7-9, your spell still works, but you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

Charming & Open
When you speak frankly with someone, you can ask their player a question from the list below. They must answer it truthfully, then they may ask you a question from the list (which you must answer truthfully).
• Whom do you serve?
• What do you wish I would do?
• How can I get you to _____?
• What are you really feeling right now?
• What do you most desire?

Bardic Lore
Choose an area of expertise: Legends of Heroes Past
When you first encounter an important creature, location, or item (your call) covered by your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully. The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in.

A Port In The Storm
When you return to a civilized settlement you’ve visited before, tell the GM when you were last here. They’ll tell you how it’s changed since then.

Gear: (Load 5/8)

Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
A Songbook in a forgotten tongue (0 weight)
Leather Armor (1 armor, worn, 1 weight)
Dueling Rapier (close, precise, 2 weight)
Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight)

Bonds:

This is not my first adventure with ___________.
I sang stories of ___________ long before I ever met them in person.
___________ is often the butt of my jokes.
I am writing a ballad about the adventures of ___________.
___________ trusted me with a secret.
___________ does not trust me, and for good reason.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 24, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Interest post for fighter, certainly a neat starting concept!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Solomon, Harbinger of the Crimson Flower

Once there was a man who had many names, many titles, he had luxury, land that would be his in time, and other things that would have been more than sufficient for many - but this man was not such a person. Always thirsting for power, burning with desire for more. Coming upon the ancient texts in his ancestors' archives, he realised that the path to power was sacrifice. So he did, again, and again, and again. Names, titles, memories, luxuries, family, friends, bonds. Until he was alone, and the only name he could recall was Solomon, but with this came a new title - and puissance that few could even imagine - power of the primordial flames themselves, but such power even as it is requires further sacrifice...

With that in mind, Solomon sought to refine his newfound powers, as well as find better things to cast into the flames when their time was due. What better place to find suitable sacrifices than in a newly-formed dungeon, or perhaps other ways to magnify his power. Furthermore, there were interesting rumours about the centre or heart of such dungeons...

pre:
Solomon, Immolator

Look: Perfect skin, smouldering eyes, roaring voice, imperious bearing

STR	DEX	CON	INT	WIS	CHA
8	 9	16	15	13	12	
-1	+0	+2	+1	+1	+0

Damage  Armor   HP      Load      Level   XP
    d8    0      20/20    2/8       1      0

Race
Human: When you Make Camp next to a large, open flame, regain all of your HP.

Alignment
Neutral: Exchange a sacrifice, freely give, for a service rendered.

Bonds
Seraphina Flamehair has felt the hellish touch of fire, now they know my strength.
I will teach Wallace Westhome the true meaning of sacrifice.
I cast something into the fire for Enoc the Giant and still owe them their due.

Starting moves
Burning Brand
When you conjure a weapon of pure flame, roll +CON. On a 10+ choose two of the following tags, on a
7-9, choose one. You may treat your INT as your STR or DEX in regards to making attacks with this weapon.
The weapon always begins with the fiery, dangerous, and 3 uses tags. Each attack with
the weapon consumes one use.
 * hand
 * thrown, near
 * +1 damage
 * remove the dangerous tag

Fighting Fire with Fire
When you take damage, and that damage is odd (after armor) the flames within you come to your aid.
Roll 1d4 and either add that many uses to your burning brand (if active), take that result forward
to summon your burning brand, or reduce the damage by that amount, your choice.

Give Me Fuel, Give Me Fire
When you gaze intensely into someones eyes, you may ask their player "what fuels the flames of
your desire?" they'll answer with the truth, even if the character does not know or would otherwise
keep this hidden.

Zuko Style
When you bend flame to your will, roll+WIS. On a 10+ it does as you command, taking the shape
and movement you desire for as long as it has fuel on which to burn. On a 7-9 the effect is short-lived,
lasting only a moment.

Hand Crafted
You may use your hands in place of tools and fire to craft metal objects. Mundane weapons, armor and jewellery
can all be formed from their raw components. You may unmake these things, as well, but to do so without time and
safety might require that you Defy Danger first.

Advanced Moves

Gear:

A Symbol of your sacrifices past, describe it: A signet ring belonging to a noble family. (not worn)

1 Healing Potion (0 weight)

Dungeon Rations (5 uses, ration, 1 weight)

10 Coins

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 25, 2016

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Wallace Westhome

The origins of Clan Westhome are lost to time and the memories of those beings old enough to remember a time before the world was wrecked. Some say
Westhome was a city where elves, humans and dwarves lived in harmony. The clan now lives in the wild places between town and dungeons, never staying for a few weeks, until the rumors of missing things and missing children start up again, and they head out to find the next dungeon. Wallace was separated from the clan some time ago when he was struck sick and left to heal or die with the priests of Amandrea. When the sickness had left him and he was recovering his strength, a wild dog came to him at dawn. He named the dog Rufus. Along with Rufus, Wallace continues to search for the Clan. Each new dungeon is a chance to join the clan again.

pre:
Wallace, Ranger

Look: Lithe, sharp eyes, hooded, traveling clothes

STR	DEX	CON	INT	WIS	CHA
13	 16	12	8	15	9	
+1	+2	+0	-1	+1	+0

Damage  Armor   HP      Load      Level   XP
    d8    0      20/20    7/24       1      0

Race
Human: When you Make Camp in a dungeon or city, you don't need to consume a ration.

Alignment
Good: Endanger yourself to combat an unnatural threat.

Bonds
I have guided _ before and they owe me for it.
_ is a friend of nature, so I will be their friend as well.
_ has no respect for nature, so I have no respect for them.
_ does not understand lin ith the wild, so I will teach them.

Starting moves
Animal Companion 
You have a supernatural connection with a loyal animal. You can’t talk to it per se but
it always acts as you wish it to. Name your animal companion: Rufus.
Dog Ferocity +2, Cunning +2, Instinct +1, 0 Armor

Strengths:  Quick Reflexes, Keen Senses
Training: Fight Monsters, Hunt
Weaknesses: Frightening

Hunt & Track (WIS) 
When you  follow a trail of clues left behind by passing creatures, roll+WIS.
On a 7+ you follow the creature's trail until there's a significant change in its direction or mode of
travel.
On a 10+ you also choose 1:
* Gain a useful bit of information about your quarry, the GM will tell you what
* Determine what caused the trail to end

Called Shot
When you  attack a defenseless or surprised enemy at range, you can choose to deal your damage
or name your target and roll+DEX.
*  Head  10+: As 7-9, plus your damage. 7-9: They do nothing but stand and drool for a few moments.
*  Arms  10+: As 7-9, plus your damage. 7-9: They drop anything they're holding.
*  Legs  10+: As 7-9, plus your damage. 7-9: They're hobbled and slow moving.

Command

When you work with your animal companion on something it's trained in...
and you attack the same target, add it's ferocity to your damage
and you track, add it's cunning to your roll
and you take damage, add its armor to your armour
and you Discern Realities add it's cunning to your roll
and you Parley add it's cunning to your roll
and someone Interferes with you, add it's instinct to their roll

Advanced Moves

Gear:

[b>Dungeon Rations[/b] (5 uses, ration, 1 weight)

Leather Armor (1 armor, worn, 1 weight)

Bundle of Arrows (6 ammo, 2 weight)

Hunter's Bow (near, far, 1 weight)

Short sword (close, 1 weight)

0 Coins

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 25, 2016

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Enoc the Giant, what is the biggest or meanest thing you have ever slain?

Serephina Flamehair, is this your first delve into a living dungeon?

Solomon, what are you afraid of?

The Forsaken Shrine of Amin the Possessed appeared without warning and without fanfare. As so often with dungeon seeds, its name was proclaimed in some form of sign, in this case a carving into the stones above the entrance in Evlish, Dwarfish and an unknown tongue. The entrance is in a grove of trees in The North White Forest, and appears to be formed from twisted trees set within stone. A great warrior's head is carved into the stone above the name, and stares down at all who approach. The animals of The North White Forest shun the area now, and even the trees are beginning to look pale and sickly around it. From within comes the distant sound of howling wind and the occasional grunts and roars of monsters that the dungeon seed has spawned.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Whistler
“Whistler is friendly and affable, an easy smile on his face at the worst of times. There is, however, something about him that gives the impression that he’s not all there. Oh, he’s clever enough, and his charm gets him by, but behind his laughter his eyes are flat and dull like coins. He wasn’t always like that, no. I hired him and a couple other guys out, years back, for an easy dungeon - a young one, sickly, with traps scarcely able to keep out the animals, let alone professionals. Wasn’t especting much, a few bits and bobs to sell, but they found something else down there. Whistler doesn’t talk about it - go on, ask him, he’ll just shrug and grin - but only he ended up coming back from that run. Him and those gloves of his.

Yeah, he calls them gloves, but it looks to me like he just dipped his arms up to the elbow in oil or something. It’s the damndest thing, I haven’t seen him take them off. It’s not like I follow the guy into the bath or anything, but it’s odd, is all I’m saying. I don’t press the matter, on account of what he uses them for. I’ve seen the guy tear open platemail like he was opening a lobster, without breaking a sweat. He freaks me out, but he’s one hell of a bodyguard. Still, when he says he’s heading out adventuring, what can I do but wave him off and wish him the best.

Maybe he’ll find something out there that’ll wipe that smile off his face.”

quote:

[Name] Whistler
[Class] Fighter
[Race] Human
[Alignment] Neutral
[Look] Dead Green Eyes, Lithe Body, Short Hair, Tanned Skin

[STR: 15 (+1)] [DEX: 17 (+2)] [CON: 9 (+0)] [INT: 11 (+0)] [WIS: 8 (-1)] [CHA: 13 (+1)]
[Base Damage: d10] [HP: 19]

[Gear]

Whistler travels lightly, wearing a fitted coat of mail (Chainmail, 1 AC) with his spartan possessions packed tightly on his back (Adventuring Gear, 2 Healing Potions and 22 coins.). The only thing he seems inordinately fond of are his gloves, which seem to fit around his hands like a second skin. They allow for a full range of motion while remaining iron-hard, and seem to wick off any grime that touches them. They are cool to the touch at all times. (Gauntlets [Hand][Pierce 2][Precise])

[Moves]
Human Fighter Reroll

Once per battle, Whistler may reroll a single damage roll (his or someone else’s).

Bend Bars, Lift Gates
When Whistler uses pure strength to destroy an inanimate obstacle, roll+Str.
    On a 10+, choose 3.
    On a 7-9 choose 2.
  • It doesn’t take a very long time
  • Nothing of value is damaged
  • It doesn’t make an inordinate amount of noise
  • You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort
Armored
Whistler ignores the clumsy tag on armor he wears.

Signature Weapon
Gauntlets, Hand Range, Perfectly Weighted (Add Precise), Sharp (Add Piercing 2)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 24, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Captain_Indigo posted:

Enoc the Giant, what is the biggest or meanest thing you have ever slain?
Young Hydra, a crush-snake but fast instead of slow. Still a one-head, it needs to be chopped to come of age, to grow more heads. In the old stories, fire beats them, that was the cleverest weapon people had. Now they don't care, they grow burnt angry heads from burnt stumps. Eat the mage. Many heads defeat one big head. Young hydra is faster than the old, but I remembered how the new head is born from the stump, teeth grow on the outer ring, ring pinches into number eight, then two halves close like fly-eater plant. Eye, nose and tongue grow later. So I set a sharp wire trap and tricked the monster into biting it like a horse bridle. I took it by the lips and pulled on it until the wire cut it in half the long way. The teeth grew all the way down the halves, then tried to make a mouth and close, but it was too far. I left and it starved to death unless a fool chopped it the stupid way. Across.

Now I have a wristband of saw-teeth to remember it. There was no treasure.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Captain_Indigo posted:

Serephina Flamehair, is this your first delve into a living dungeon?

Yeah, it is. I mean, in person, anyways. I've sung hundreds of songs about dungeon dives. All the greats, you know? Sir Silverhand and the Living Dungeon, The Adventurers of Dawn, and that's barely scratching the surface. So, yeah, I'm feeling pretty confident. I spent the last of my savings on some food, gear, and armor. It's not exactly the most glamorous set of gear, but it should serve. The songs I sing have real power. If I can find the right set of, uh, let's call them companions? Yeah. If I can find those -- people love a song about a group -- then I'm confident that I can keep us going even when things look bleak.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Wallace, tell me about the priests of Amandrea.

Whistler, whats the best job you've ever scored?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Captain_Indigo posted:

Solomon, what are you afraid of?

Many get into this kind of position out of fear, fear of the unknown, fear of weakness, fear of something or someone in particular. But admittedly by now I have... exchanged so much, on my behalf or on the behalf of others in my years, parcelling away this and that in my quest for supremacy. Yet there is no end in sight for as long as there are things to lose. Ultimately I believe therein lies the crux of my doubts, and fears. What if all of these sacrifices, all of these losses that I cannot even mourn because their very notion has been burned and cleansed away, what if they were all for nought, what if I come to regret all prices that I've paid so far. That is my ultimate fear, all other fears are practically nothing compared to a life spent burning the candle at both ends, only to find it wasn't a candle at all, but a puff of marsh gas caught aflame with nothing substantial behind it, nor in its future.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Wallace, tell me about the priests of Amandrea.

The priests of Amandrea take vows of chastity, poverty, and to live in harmony with nature. The order places no restrictions on race or gender. Wallace enjoyed his rehabilitation, except for the priestess Iris, that kept trying to teach Wallace to read and write. Wallace couldn't understand that the random dots and lines on the page meant tree.
After he had the strength to stand again, he helped with the gardens, and in the sick tent, repaying Amandrea's blessing as he could. Evenings were spent listening to the stories of other recovering patients. The priests tended to say little about their lives before service to Amandrea, but Wallace could tell that most had gone into at least 1 dungeon before.

An oddity that Wallace noticed at the temple is most of the priests, irrespective of gender, race, or age, the priests all had emerald green eyes.
Wallace doesn't see his face often, but he is sure that before he fell sick his eyes were brown, but every time he looks into a pool of water now, he thinks his eyes are getting less brown.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Captain_Indigo posted:

Whistler, whats the best job you've ever scored?

"Shucks, that's a tough one. Any job where I can help my fellows out, right a wrong or make a buck is the best one, depending on how ya spin it! My favourite job was probably working security at some fancy soirée of the Yalenda's. It's nice to pretend to be living the high life, you know? Hors d'oeuvres, cocktails, ladies and gents in society dress - and me, all gussied up in this soft silk livery nonsense. Oh, my gloves too, of course - can't be ruining my style on account of some rich folk frettin' about his colour palette. Nope, I insisted on it, and they made an exception. Nice folks, really.

I'm a patient man, or I like to think of myself as one, so I didn't bother much when some of the younger fellas started making fun. Call me what you want, I'll just stand there and smile at ya - words don't hurt no one. Toss a drink on me, fine - I'm not paying for the fancy dress anyhow. I started talkin' back to the troublemakers, nothin' too harsh, but I must have hit a nerve cause he ran off in a huff. Got a good laugh, too - someone bought me a drink, but I don't touch the stuff. Nice to get an offer, though.

When he came back with a large, unsavoury type, I started to get a little upset. It's not that I hate fighting - far from it - but this was a party, for goodness' sake. I told him that if we had an issue we could take it outside, but later, if he'd please. I was on the clock, y'see. He was disinclined to agree with me, and had his bruiser take a swing at me. I felt bad for the bruiser (lord knows I've taken work from cowards) so I took it easy on him - I broke his hip with a backhand strike, then shoved him off his feet one handed. He went down pretty fast. Now the troublemaker was sweatin', and watchin' him I could see the ways I could pull him apart like strippin' twigs off a branch.

But like I said, I was on the clock. He ran and I let him.

The rest of the night was pretty quiet, which can be nice sometimes too."

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 24, 2016

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

gently caress it, let's get started.
The Gate, make a thief and he can join the others. I'll take six.

Recruitment closed!

Sort out bonds before you do your first post, but don't worry too much about it. Remind me to do the start of session stuff for your character, but let's get the story and exploring going.

Game Thread will be up in a bit.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

It's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795306

I made a bond. My race move is next: Outsider
You may be elf, dwarf, halfling, or human, but you and your people are not from around here. At the beginning of each session, the GM will ask you something about your homeland, why you left, or what you left behind. If you answer them, mark XP.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Enoc, you're not the only person who left your home on that fateful day. There were two others who left, as a pair, and have been following you. Who are they and why are they tracking your movement?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Captain_Indigo posted:

gently caress it, let's get started.
The Gate, make a thief and he can join the others. I'll take six.

Recruitment closed!

On it! Should have a thing by this afternoon/evening.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Syd Gellar

Why'd I do it? Start stealing and picking pockets, and sneaking around? Well, why not I suppose? I was bored, young, and stupid. But I was also clever, and quick. I grew up in a smaller town, where most people never left, and the few who did almost never came back to our quiet, boring existence. All I had to look forward to was growing old on a farm, or possibly doing a bit of trade from a shop.

I was sneaking out into the woods and around the village almost as soon as I could walk. Most people thought I was just a free spirit, hah! And I was, too, I suppose. But it was also practice, didn't know for what, then, but it was. And one day, I left. Snuck off to the nearest decent city, Gable. That's when I started to really put those skills to use. Had to eat, you know. Had to have a place to sleep sometimes. But that got boring too, and I started trying to push myself, you know. Steal interesting things from important people, sometimes even people who tried to protect their things from people like me.

Most couldn't, though I do admit I had a few close calls. A few nasty scraps, and dashes from...upset owners, or their representatives. More than a couple scars. But those people got boring too, and that's when I knew what I really wanted. These Seeds, they're a real test. Really putting your life on the line, and what you can earn for doing it...well, just ask the bards, they sing enough about them. You never know exactly what you'll find in them, so the stories say.

And so, here I am. Not my first time working with someone else to get where I want to go.

quote:

[Name] Syd 
[Class] Thief 
[Race] Human 
[Alignment] Neutral 
[Look] Shifty Eyes, Cropped Hair, Dark Clothes, Lithe Body

[STR: 12 (+0)]
[DEX: 16 (+2)]
[CON: 13 (+1)]
[INT: 9 (+0)]
[WIS: 15 (+1)]
[CHA: 8 (-1)]

[Base Damage: d8]
[HP: 19]

[Gear: 4/9 Load]
Rapier (close, precise, 1 weight)
3x Throwing Daggers (near, thrown, 0 weight)
Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Leather Armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Oil of Taget (poison, 3 uses)
10 coins

Human
You are a professional. When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities, take +1.

Trap Expert
When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+DEX.
✴On a 10+, hold 3. ✴On a 7–9, hold 1. Spend your hold as you walk through the area to ask these questions:

•  Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
•  What does the trap do when activated?
•  What else is hidden here?

Tricks of the Trade
When you pick locks or pockets or disable traps, roll+DEX. ✴On a 10+, you do it, no problem. ✴On a 7–9, you still do it, but the GM will offer you two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Backstab
When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to deal your damage or roll+DEX. ✴On a 10+ choose two. ✴On a 7–9 choose one.

•  You don’t get into melee with them
•  You deal your damage+1d6
•  You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
•  Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it

Flexible Morals
When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like.

Poisoner
You’ve mastered the care and use of a poison. Choose a poison from the list below; that poison is no longer dangerous for you to use. You also start with three uses of the poison you choose. Whenever you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of the poison you choose for free. Note that some poisons are applied, meaning you have to carefully apply it to the target or something they eat or drink. Touch poisons just need to touch the target, they can even be used on the blade of a weapon.

•  Oil of Tagit (applied): The target falls into a light sleep
•  Bloodweed (touch): The target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured
•  Goldenroot (applied): The target treats the next creature they see as a trusted ally, until proved otherwise
•  Serpent’s Tears (touch): Anyone dealing damage to the target rolls twice and takes the better result.

Quick question: Am i with the party, following, or already ahead? Just so I know for bonds.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

You're with the party. You may have been caught up dealing with something if you like, or may be waiting in the chamber below if you prefer, but you know these dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Given that we all know Syd, should we edit our bonds to include Syd?

• Locked thread