Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

One of the sad realities of growing up is that we can no longer go door-to-door on halloween and have strangers fill our plastic pumpkin pails with delicious candy (and the occasional joyless box of raisins). Well, time for us to snap out of it! We are at least technically adults, and that means we can make our own treats that are considerably more interesting/delicious/intoxicating/dangerous than your standard neighborhood haul, except maybe the king-sized Snickers.

So BYOB, let's indulge ourselves and our loved ones with some tricky treats! Specifically, make something edible or drinkable that is in some sense "tricky." What that might mean is up to you--it could be a special secret ingredient, it could be food that looks like one thing and tastes like another, it could be simply spookily decorative. The basic rule is that it must be actually edible/drinkable, and to prove it you must take at least a bite/sip of it yourself (trip reports optional but very welcome). Post photos, descriptions, even recipes if you feel like it.

There will be prizes in three basic categories: presentation, taste, and trickiness. The "taste" category will involve a bit of imagination unless your recipe is very easy to reproduce, but we'll manage somehow. First prize in each category will win their choice of an av cert or a redbubble gift certificate. Runners-up or special awards may be declared and rewarded at the whim of the judges.

Submissions are welcome up until midnight on halloween. Midnight where, you might be wondering? I don't give a flying fr*ck. If I wake up on Nov. 1 and see an entry from you it will count, and I doubt I'm going to be waking up super early.

Good luck! I am looking forward to your deceitful treats and delicious tricks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Excellent idea Manifesto- I do a mean sugar cookie each year that I give out to friends & family. Happy to document it!

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

FluffieDuckie

we will make a thing

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I'm assuming the old "razorblade in the candy" trick won't be accepted in this years "trick" category after last years incident?

Manifisto

[stuffs posting history into apple] it's filled with razor wit! get it? get it? [awkward pause lengthens]

ty nesamdoom!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
I'm going to make a snickers out of cat hair and caulk.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

misty mountaintop posted:

I'm going to make a snickers out of cat hair and caulk.

:toxx:

Im Ready for DEATH

If you reproduce, you can trick or treat again! This one weird trick that parents love!

vanisher

Part 1 of ?

Chose some spooky shapes

All baked (:420: lol)

First layer of frosting down

Piso Mojado

vanisher posted:

Part 1 of ?

Chose some spooky shapes

Omg.

FluffieDuckie

Vanisher's got mad baking skillz

Piso Mojado

Thank you vanisher for the cookies you are going to send me.

vanisher

One of those coffee containers has dog food in it, each morning it's an exciting adventure!

Also thanks, gotta get those details down next.

(full disclosure: my wife and I both worked on these)

City of Glompton

vanisher posted:

Part 1 of ?

Chose some spooky shapes

boo-tiful!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

Part 1 of ?

Chose some spooky shapes

these look delicious! and the BYOB cookies are a nice touch.

Piso Mojado posted:

Thank you vanisher for the cookies you are going to send me.

Manifisto

so as a "warm up" for a more ambitious project I may or may not get around to this weekend, I decided to make these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQo0XDhIv-8

mini drunken caramel apples!

there's not really much more to it than what's in the video. I used Stoli Salted Karamel vodka instead of the Smirnoff stuff ('cause it's all I could find) and I used chopped almond slivers as the nuts.

oh and one more thing: in addition to the apple bites, I made a few out of turnip. :supaburn: there's your trick! I soaked them in the vodka just like the apples, and the end result looks pretty similar to the apple bites, although for some reason the caramel coating did not stick as well.

ingredients:

result:

:siren: TRIP REPORT :siren:

apple variety: pretty darn good actually. I'm glad I used granny smith apples, you wouldn't want this to be too much sweeter than it is. the vodka is present but not really overwhelming.

turnip variety: BLEAH. BLEAH BLEAH BLEAH. :barf: :barf: :barf: it tastes pretty much like you'd think it would, a sort of earthy, radishy turnipness that goes not at all with the caramel, vodka, and nuts.

so I'd call it a success! serve a plate of these, with a few turnip ones mixed in, to your friends, and see how long you keep them as friends!

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

so as a "warm up" for a more ambitious project I may or may not get around to this weekend, I decided to make these:

there's not really much more to it than what's in the video. I used Stoli Salted Karamel vodka instead of the Smirnoff stuff ('cause it's all I could find) and I used chopped almond slivers as the nuts.

oh and one more thing: in addition to the apple bites, I made a few out of turnip. :supaburn: there's your trick! I soaked them in the vodka just like the apples, and the end result looks pretty similar to the apple bites, although for some reason the caramel coating did not stick as well.

ingredients:

result:

apple variety: pretty darn good actually. I'm glad I used granny smith apples, you wouldn't want this to be too much sweeter than it is. the vodka is present but not really overwhelming.

turnip variety: BLEAH. BLEAH BLEAH BLEAH. :barf: :barf: :barf: it tastes pretty much like you'd think it would, a sort of earthy, radishy turnipness that goes not at all with the caramel, vodka, and nuts.

so I'd call it a success! serve a plate of these, with a few turnip ones mixed in, to your friends, and see how long you keep them as friends!

This is awesome and incorporates the trick aspect nicely. Great job!

vanisher

Part 2 of 2

Making some progress...

All done!

e: finished up-

vanisher fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 27, 2016

bradzilla

vanisher posted:

Part 2 of 2

Making some progress...

All done!

:eyepop:

social vegan

big fan of the pentagram cook

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

vanisher posted:

Part 2 of 2

Making some progress...

All done!

are they as tasty as they are cute/spooky?

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

Part 2 of 2

Making some progress...

All done!

drat those are some A+ 'ies

vanisher

Thanks all!!

I do this each year and give them out to friends/work people so I'll have an independent review soon. The pentagram is a new cookie design for this year, I actually made a couple of them but they aren't pictured

alnilam

The ghosts look kinda like :iiam: / :iia: too

Gatekeeper

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i'm making caramel apples that are actually onions :spooky:

realtalk: i'm trying to settle on a snack to bring to my friend's halloween brunch on sunday, so this thread is a nice incentive to make something especially cool and tricky. i'll report back once i figure out something good. i'm leaning towards vampire cookies that bleed when you bite into them :drac:

Gatekeeper

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
oh and what is that neat looking beverage in the middle of the image in your op, manifisto? it looks gross and cool

Manifisto

Gatekeeper posted:

i'm making caramel apples that are actually onions :spooky:

realtalk: i'm trying to settle on a snack to bring to my friend's halloween brunch on sunday, so this thread is a nice incentive to make something especially cool and tricky. i'll report back once i figure out something good. i'm leaning towards vampire cookies that bleed when you bite into them :drac:

oo that sounds good

Gatekeeper posted:

oh and what is that neat looking beverage in the middle of the image in your op, manifisto? it looks gross and cool

it is a zombie brain hemorrhage shot

http://www.zombieseverywhere.org/brain-hemorrhage-shot/

never had one but they look really cool

social vegan

these shots look so gnarly i couldn't this is where my bravery ends and smile but you go on without me

Barnes And Body Works

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Manifisto posted:

ingredients:

result:

OH MY GOD! Where do you get that Vodka I /REALLY/ want to try it.

Also I would cook something nice but I don't know if my boyfriends grandmother wants me cooking while she is.

Vanisher made my super slick sig.

FluffieDuckie

:siren: today is baking day :siren:

Manifisto

Barnes And Body Works posted:

OH MY GOD! Where do you get that Vodka I /REALLY/ want to try it.

just a regular "liquor warehouse" type of place, flavored vodkas seem really popular now and I bet you could find it or the Smirnoff stuff without too much trouble

Barnes And Body Works posted:

Also I would cook something nice but I don't know if my boyfriends grandmother wants me cooking while she is.

cook the thing!

(or make something that doesn't require "cooking" . . . or just buy some candy and enjoy, we won't judge)

Manifisto

FluffieDuckula posted:

:siren: today is baking day :siren:

:peanut:

Barnes And Body Works

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Manifisto posted:

just a regular "liquor warehouse" type of place, flavored vodkas seem really popular now and I bet you could find it or the Smirnoff stuff without too much trouble

cook the thing!

(or make something that doesn't require "cooking" . . . or just buy some candy and enjoy, we won't judge)

I'm gonna buy my boyfriend a box of chocolates when I get paid :') which should be in 2 days which is unfortunately after halloween, oh well.
We were supposed to go to a party but he wasn't feeling well so I decided to stay back with him rather than go on my own as much as he wanted me to go enjoy myself.

Vanisher made my super slick sig.

alnilam

this was 90% the work of my housemate but i helped! because it was mostly not my doing, I dont' intend for this to be considered an entry contest-wise but i still wanted to contribute for funzo

spooky dirt pudding graveyard

the trick? it's vegan :twisted::evilbuddy:

ty manifisto

FluffieDuckie

alnilam posted:

this was 90% the work of my housemate but i helped! because it was mostly not my doing, I dont' intend for this to be considered an entry contest-wise but i still wanted to contribute for funzo

it's adorable :love:

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

outstanding treat spookification, thank you for sharing!

FluffieDuckie

current baking situation: stalled out. sent a party out in the rain in search of missing ingredient. haven't heard from them. outlook is uncertain.

vanisher

alnilam posted:

This is excellent, and "satan boo" is a very positive Halloween message

social vegan

alnilam posted:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Management

FluffieDuckie is about to devastate this contest with some top tier baking and is just playing coy.

:jerry:

• Locked thread