Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like the United Nations
I LOVE the United Nations
I HATE the United Nations
View Results

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Oops! Almost let this slip by! According to my calendar and confirmed by Wikipedia, today is United Nations Day!

What is United Nations day? Well:

quote:

United Nations Day is devoted to making known to people of the world the aims and achievements of the United Nations Organization. United Nations Day is part of United Nations Week, which runs from 20 to 26 October.

In 1948, the United Nations General Assembly declared 24 October, the anniversary of the Charter of the United Nations, as which "shall be devoted to making known to the peoples of the world the aims and achievements of the United Nations and to gaining their support for" its work.[1]

In 1971 the United Nations General Assembly adopted a further resolution (United Nations Resolution 2782) declaring that United Nations Day shall be an international holiday and recommended that it should be observed as a public holiday by all United Nations member states.[2]

Let's reflect on how the United Nations has impacted our day to day lives and thank the brave heroes who have sacrificed so much.

As we binge drink through this international United Nations mandated long weekend, let's think about where we would be with out it.

I love the UN, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why is the UN so useless?

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

a bone to pick posted:

permenant security council

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

rezatahs posted:

permenant security council

because the general assembly is such a source of efficient action :v:

the security council structure does pretty much preclude effective security action on the part of the UN, but imo also helps it maintain some semblance of legitimacy as a neutral forum for international issues- completely ignoring real-world balance-of-power seems like a recipe for a quick disintegration of the organization

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i wanna bang the UN's womans rights ambassador :q:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nooner posted:

i wanna bang the UN's womans rights ambassador :q:

You could say she's.....a Model UN

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
They share today with National Bologna Day. Pretty similar amirite :smug:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

Hammarskjöld was shot down for making it too useful, and it's been torpid since the early sixties as a result, hope that helps.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

Because it's horribly underfunded and the US has veto (the US exercises its veto the most often :ssh:).

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Shneak posted:

They share today with National Bologna Day. Pretty similar amirite :smug:

Please do not troll, Shneak

:un:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

Because it's horribly underfunded and the US has veto (the US exercises its veto the most often :ssh:).

Russia is still ahead all time, has been quite a bit more active recently, and is now not terribly far behind the US from 1992 on

I'm also pretty sure that if the US hadn't spent the last couple of decades vetoing routine condemnations of Israel the UN would still not have revealed itself to be a font of dynamism and effectiveness

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

LGD posted:

Russia is still ahead all time, has been quite a bit more active recently, and is now not terribly far behind the US from 1992 on

I'm also pretty sure that if the US hadn't spent the last couple of decades vetoing routine condemnations of Israel the UN would still not have revealed itself to be a font of dynamism and effectiveness

Yes, during the cold war, the USSR used its veto a lot, but from the 90s onward, the US is the most frequent user, and that's definitely not helping things.

Kinda neat how Israel's atrocities against Palestine are just routine.

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-who-uses-veto-in-the-un-security-council-most-often-and-for-what-29907

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Im vetoing the bill to NOT colonize your face with DEEZE NUTZ

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yes, during the cold war, the USSR used its veto a lot, but from the 90s onward, the US is the most frequent user, and that's definitely not helping things.

Kinda neat how Israel's atrocities against Palestine are just routine.

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-who-uses-veto-in-the-un-security-council-most-often-and-for-what-29907

Whoa cool link to a 2014 article praising Russia for its restraint in use of the veto immediately before it spent the next two years vetoing he hell out of UN resolutions!

And ultra-lol at the idea that UN resolutions condemning Israel would have "solved" the I/P conflict, or that even if by some literally divine miracle they had, the resolution of that conflict would have opened the floodgates and made the UN an effective problem-solving institution in other areas

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

LGD posted:

Whoa cool link to a 2014 article praising Russia for its restraint in use of the veto immediately before it spent the next two years vetoing he hell out of UN resolutions!

And ultra-lol at the idea that UN resolutions condemning Israel would have "solved" the I/P conflict, or that even if by some literally divine miracle they had, the resolution of that conflict would have opened the floodgates and made the UN an effective problem-solving institution in other areas

I was linking the article for the graphs. If you have more recent plots, please link.

No one is arguing your second point about the UN resolutions.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

LGD posted:

I looked it up and Russia has used its veto twice since 2014, once for an international court for MH17 and once for bombings in Aleppo. In contrast,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vetos_exercised_by_the_US_government_in_the_UN_Security_Council

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Rated PG-34 posted:

I looked it up and Russia has used its veto twice since 2014, once for an international court for MH17 and once for bombings in Aleppo. In contrast,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vetos_exercised_by_the_US_government_in_the_UN_Security_Council

quote:

Proposal for an alliance of all Middle Eastern governments and the Security Council for peace in the region.

lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

I was linking the article for the graphs. If you have more recent plots, please link.

No one is arguing your second point about the UN resolutions.
"I'm not wrong, I just linked that article because it had graphs that are now wrong."

"Also, no one disputes that these resolutions were useless to begin with but the US vetoing them is definitely why the UN can't get anything done"

Rated PG-34 posted:

I mean I was basing my figures off what the UN says the actual vetoes were, which would indicate you're actually incorrect, but if you want to link a politically motivated Wikipedia link written in broken English that includes General Assembly votes that had no veto component in its list of "vetoes," you do you. Just don't, you know, expect anyone to take you seriously.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think I speak for everyone when I say that the UN should return to its original, founding mission: killing literally millions of Germans.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

LGD posted:

"I'm not wrong, I just linked that article because it had graphs that are now wrong."

"Also, no one disputes that these resolutions were useless to begin with but the US vetoing them is definitely why the UN can't get anything done"

I mean I was basing my figures off what the UN says the actual vetoes were, which would indicate you're actually incorrect, but if you want to link a politically motivated Wikipedia link written in broken English that includes General Assembly votes that had no veto component in its list of "vetoes," you do you. Just don't, you know, expect anyone to take you seriously.

The graphs were accurate as of 2014 and since then, there have been 3 or 4 Russian vetoes.

Here's a better table: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vetoed_United_Nations_Security_Council_resolutions

I never said the Israel resolutions were useless, but they're definitely a step in the right direction. Of course passing them wouldn't solve the situation overnight.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 25, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The Avengers broke up because of the UN, also they wouldn't save the army guys in Blackhawk Down. gently caress those guys.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

The graphs were accurate as of 2014 and since then, there have been 2 or 3 Russian vetoes.

Here's a better table: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vetoed_United_Nations_Security_Council_resolutions

I never said the Israel resolutions were useless, but they're definitely a step in the right direction. Of course passing them wouldn't solve the situation overnight.

Yes, using old graphs that were accurate at the time can still be very misleading. But hey lets look at that list- in contrast to the 3 Russian vetoes I see there were no US vetoes at all in that time frame. But hey, lets go back a decade and we've got 2 US vetoes, both relating to I/P vs. 11 Russian vetoes. Huh, that doesn't look like it supports your point. There were a lot of US vetoes relating to the I/P conflict before that, but since those are over a decade old, only a "step in the right direction" at best, and "no one is arguing" that their passage would have made the UN an effective institution, I'm very unclear on why you think anyone would agree that the US's use of the veto power is why the UN is useless.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

LGD posted:

Yes, using old graphs that were accurate at the time can still be very misleading. But hey lets look at that list- in contrast to the 3 Russian vetoes I see there were no US vetoes at all in that time frame. But hey, lets go back a decade and we've got 2 US vetoes, both relating to I/P vs. 11 Russian vetoes. Huh, that doesn't look like it supports your point. There were a lot of US vetoes relating to the I/P conflict before that, but since those are over a decade old, only a "step in the right direction" at best, and "no one is arguing" that their passage would have made the UN an effective institution, I'm very unclear on why you think anyone would agree that the US's use of the veto power is why the UN is useless.

The UN is useless because it's underfunded and US has veto power that they use for not just the I/P question but a large number of other questions regarding American interests. If we disregard 1946-1965, we see that America is by far the most prolific exerciser of its veto:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UNSC_veto.svg

Are you arguing that the Israel resolutions would be useless if passed? What is your benchmark for the UN as an effective institution?

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

The UN seem like nice neighbors except they'd park in front of your house a lot.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I try and beat Civ V as fast as I can but get stuck playing it without any joy for hours, the advent of the UN around turn 300-something eventually gives me my freedom. So the UN is OK I guess. :shrug:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i'd squart on the middle of the marble floor before taking my place at the talking stick and point to the squart and tell everyone hey if you need some to deal with this refugee crisis just know I can squart like this for days and don't have a job

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

The UN is useless because it's underfunded and US has veto power that they use for not just the I/P question but a large number of other questions regarding American interests. If we disregard 1946-1965, we see that America is by far the most prolific exerciser of its veto:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UNSC_veto.svg

Are you arguing that the Israel resolutions would be useless if passed? What is your benchmark for the UN as an effective institution?

Except they haven't used it for other purposes in a decade, and it's a very open question why *this* part of the Cold War counts but *that part* doesn't, beyond your need to contort the evidence to fit a pre-determined narrative. Sorry you're not capable of addressing arguments! If you did I might bother to answer your questions, but lol at wasting my time on someone incapable of doing anything but repeating the same thing over and over again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

*Humans rights nightmare happens*

UN: We strongly condemn that

Thanks UN!

Basically I think UN is good for keeping UN countries in check (sometimes) but when it comes to anything else they should just save money and not even have the meeting because it's predetermined that they'll release some statement as above and then furrow their brows, advise more useless sanctions that only hurt the innocent people in the country du jour and the same poo poo keeps happening again and again because humans are the worst and god doesn't exist.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 25, 2016

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

hey are these syrians hot? do they like to play any of the instalments of the super metroid franchise? I think I could take a couple. Do they love like there is no tomorrow and pay for their own crunchyroll account

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

LGD posted:

Except they haven't used it for other purposes in a decade, and it's a very open question why *this* part of the Cold War counts but *that part* doesn't, beyond your need to contort the evidence to fit a pre-determined narrative. Sorry you're not capable of addressing arguments! If you did I might bother to answer your questions, but lol at wasting my time on someone incapable of doing anything but repeating the same thing over and over again.

How hard is it to see that within the last half century, the US has been the most prolific user of the veto. Sure, there have been some recent vetoes by Russia and China, but the main culprit is still America over the last half century. Why focus on the more recent half century? The Russia, i.e. USSR, of old is much different from the Russia of today, whereas the America of today hasn't changed as dramatically wrt institutions.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Rated PG-34 posted:

How hard is it to see that within the last half century, the US has been the most prolific user of the veto. Sure, there have been some recent vetoes by Russia and China, but the main culprit is still America over the last half century. Why focus on the more recent half century? The Russia, i.e. USSR, of old is much different from the Russia of today, whereas the America of today hasn't changed as dramatically wrt institutions.

It doesn't really matter because all of the stuff we vetoed was one of:

1. Pointless "condemnations"
2. "gently caress U ISRAEL YUO ARE WORST JEW GIB CLAY!"
3. "Please trade with Cuba"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It doesn't really matter because all of the stuff we vetoed was one of:

1. Pointless "condemnations"
2. "gently caress U ISRAEL YUO ARE WORST JEW GIB CLAY!"
3. "Please trade with Cuba"

If these condemnations were so pointless, why did the US bother to veto them?

• Locked thread