Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For Pelicans moves, also add E'Twuan Moore, Soloman Hill, and Langston Galloway as signings, please. They all signed deals that are longer and more per-year than the minimum 1-year contracts Lance and Jones signed.

Good OP, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does anyone want to make a list of writers to follow and podcasts to listen to? I'll add them to the OP.

Team specific or general league?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

wandler20 posted:

Go Thunder. They should sure be fun to watch this year and I hope Russ does many cool Russ things. Hopefully Dipo also does cool things.

Thinking about getting League Pass for OKC this year, anyone use it and have an opinion on it?

Are you in the local broadcast area for OKC games? If yes, then don't get League Pass as all the games will be blacked out.

Also, all national broadcast games are blacked out on League Pass, no matter where you are. National games are on the following channels: TNT, ESPN, ABC, and NBATV.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

I think the context is LeBron as GOAT, which is a mandatory Jordan comparison so he needs a single moment to compare to Jordan to Kerr, hitting the shot over Ehlo, hitting the shot over Russell type of thing. Basically Simmons has moved completely away from talking basketball and is doing cultural analysis which is more about How Me And My Friends Feel vs. anything factual and arguable.

Best ever PER for a 19 year old - A Davis 21.7
Best ever PER for a 20 year old - A Davis 26.5
Best ever PER for a 21 year old - A Davis 30.8
Anthony Davis' PER last season - 25.0

only possible explanation: Anthony Davis' career is over we should all forget about him completely.

Monty Williams was really good at getting Davis in spots to put up $tat$. The team last season, even if healthy, was not a team that fit the style Gentry wanted to run and I said that during the regular season of Monty's last year with the team.

However, this year's crew is much better suited to that style, even if they no longer have the shooters they once did. They can at least sometimes get stops and have more options for ball-handlers + play makers on the break. I think they will not only have a better record, but also just plain look better on the court this season than last, regardless of health.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

gently caress Byron Scott.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgD2KjSAElg

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

straight up brolic posted:

We sound like we're NPR having a posting drive, but that's just because this is pretty much the least dead and dumb thread on these dead and dumb forums and I want it to last forever ever ever ever *echoes into eternity*

I try to convince people who aren't SA members to get an account and post here, but they won't because reddit is free and they think it's just as good.

:negative:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The season has officially started again. The dokmo penis graph was the sign.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're passing the ball to the floor who is passing it back.

Deep.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

TNT Extra time was totally free even if you didn't have TNT, I don't know if they changed it

WatchTNT is different and is the normal broadcast but streamed. It only works if your cable provider offers it, however.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CraigK posted:

im going to watch more basketball this season and like a Good native new orleanian i'm going to root for the Pelicans to Maybe Not Have Everybody Get Injured Four Times Over this year

You going to the game tomorrow?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spoeank posted:

I had a friend of college unfriend me on facebook and call me petty and salty because I posted "I thought the Warriors were supposed to be decent 🤔🤔🤔🤔"

Lol @ people who can't handle when their favorite team gets embarrassed. If nothing else, they could just stay off the Internet for a day or two.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Today the rookie of the year debuts. That's right domantas sabonis is going to rock your world

You are off the Buddy train, I take it? Also, I get to see him and the Nuggets' bigs in person tonight. :cool:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Brow put up 50/16/5 with 7 steals and 4 blocks. Mother of god.

Of course they lost because their starting point guard is Tim Frazier but whatever

Nah, they lost because they couldn't rebound or hit any of the many, many 3s they took. Also, no defense in the first three quarters.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Two Tone Shoes posted:

These are symptoms of our second best player being Tim Frazier.

:v:

On the plus side, I bought a Mardi Gras hat at the team store tonight.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

They had vets they had no point guards.

That's how you tank. Have no point guard in the NBA.

Or have your three deep at that position all get injured.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

Tony wroten and Kendall Marshall were the 1-2 PGs mate. Neither are playing pro basketball ATM.

I was mainly talking about my Pels who should have had good guard depth but ended up starting multiple different DLeague callups throughout the season leading to a decently high draft pick.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well i mean Euphorious is kind of a massive homer so duh.

I like to think that I'm up there with all the other massive homers.

Speaking of, my boy Rivers did some work tonight. Watched him go on a 6-0 run against the Blazers at the end of the third! :cool:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/792024011291013124

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Well dang.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm more confused by all the empty seats. I thought the Warriors especially now with KD would be one of those sellout teams that every fan of a random team would want tickets to for a chance to catch them. Shouldn't this be one of the most packed pelicans games?

It's pretty packed. From my seat at the start of the fourth, it looks about 95% full.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Athanatos posted:

Mine doesn't seem to be bad? Nice stream, easy to use.

Are the illegal ones way better?

The illegal ones you pay for typically have better quality and more stable with a better video player.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Since Metapod asked about this in the gdt:

https://twitter.com/BourbonStShots/status/792532517995765760

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Strawberry Panda posted:

What's Buddy Hield's chuck status?

Really high and really, really ineffective.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dale Ouise posted:

I imagine it's like the NHL series where the AI GMs judge trades by pure ratings, and is dumb, so I'll hold off on that.

Since caps got brought up, I found the hoopshype page, and it seems serviceable, but is there another site with that info I should know about?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

are two really useful sites.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

p sure it was the Warriors who started doing it a bunch back before they were even a playoff team, then it spread like wildfire

e: that was also back when Mark Jackson was coaching, and they played two bigs. see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUS4vUh4M6I

I think Monty Williams also ran it as early or earlier than this, too. It may have been something Mike Malone brought with him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Parker and Rondo certainly aren't better than him at this point in their careers. Holiday might be, but there's always the health issues to consider with him.

Agreed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Did Lance blow in his ear?

Nope. Just had his arm wrapped around Durant's waist during an inbounds play.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Well the Pelicans seem to have lost one of those slamball matches already.

Reigning champions since '08.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

Even if he didn't inherit a 17-win team, he was such a high-profile hire and "get" that the honeymoon period would hopefully last at least a year, but then again I don't know the pulse of Lakers fans.

When the Pels got Gentry fresh off the Warriors championship with him as lead assistant, the honeymoon period was over after the first ten games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tatankatonk posted:

What does Steven Adams do really well? I don't mean to be snide, it's just that i've always thought his game is so workmanlike that he just kind of fades into the background until somebody like zach lowe points out that he does X unusually well

He's really good at being big and using his bigness to be effective on defense around the rim. On offense, he can be relied on to finish dump-off passes and maybe hit some 8 ft jumpers occasionally. IIRC, he also sets effective screens.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Has there been a new commercial with the Hoopers family from State Farm? I need to know if Nick's spreadsheet needs to be updated.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 1, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

No and they are the hoopers

Dang.

And fixed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

milk milk lemonade posted:

That's loving incredible. I didn't look at the advanced stats because I didn't think this was possible on a cursory glance of their stats.

Irving had a higher ORTG and lower DRTG though :colbert:

There is too much noise trying to compare individual players with DRtg. Even if they are on the same team.

I would also say the same with the different reb% stats. For example, say you have two players on the same team that play in the same lineups. One has a better oreb% and dreb% than the other, yet the team's oreb% and dreb% are both worse when he is on the court.

e: Kyrie and Curry are both SGs in style with PG handles (which is basically what a PG is now and that is good). Curry is just better at doing all the SG and PG things than Kyrie with the exception of maybe turnovers.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 1, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paulocaust posted:

JV has made Drunmond his bitch every time they faced off. JV just dropped him off for a career high 32 like 6 days ago.

Deron Williams used to dominate Chris Paul when they matched up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/793525048141238272

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/793525198058164224

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If I was smart, I would have gone to a print shop and got this on a poster to bring to the game tonight:

https://twitter.com/bennettberry/status/792215968177016832

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

It truly is.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think I'm ready to give up on the Davis as defensive anchor project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Listening to Jackson Browne's Load Out/Stay always relaxes me into a better mood when I'm angry. The Pels made me angry tonight.

Lockback posted:

He's a weakside guy, but that's OK. I think of he took a full load on as a defensive anchor it'd hurt him on the other end of the floor. Pelicans should go call Larry Sanders.

Maybe.

• Locked thread