Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Problem description: In the power settings, I currently have my laptop set to sleep after 30 minutes on battery, never when plugged in - but this is only followed when the lid is open. I see options for what to do when the lid is closed and it's currently set to do nothing. If I change it to sleep when the lid is closed, it will do so without any delay - is there a way to have it sleep 30 minutes after the lid is closed as it does when the lid is open?

Attempted fixes: Tried varioius power settings

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

System specs: Lenovo T420

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, most results I find are people trying to do the opposite - having the laptop not sleep at all when the lid is closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Are you sure it's not sleeping after 30 minutes on the default do nothing setting and then just waking up once you open the lid? Or do you have it set to require a login on wake-up and notice it's not ever going to sleep while the lid is closed?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 27, 2016

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
If I close the lid without setting it to sleep first, it'll stay awake until the battery dies.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Not having much luck myself looking into it; I considered the following option:

Create a scheduled task, set the Trigger to when Idle, set the action to call Microsoft's PsShutdown tool with arguments "-d -t 00" to go immediately to Sleep, then set the Condition to Idle for 30 mins.

The downside is this would happen on AC power as well; you could maybe hack together a powershell script that gets called by the idle scheduled task, and have the script check for ac / battery power status and then either call psshutdown or ignore it. A quick glance shows some wmi options available in powershell here, there may be better handlers out there.

e: Updated with a newer example for wmi tomfoolery.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks, I'll take a look at that!

• Locked thread