Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Can confirm oversized population of metalheads here (being in a metal band myself). Generally nice people, though you do of course bump into the occasional less than savoury variety.

Another fun fact about Norwegians is that for every Norwegian eager to espouse the wonders of our little country - a national sport - another one dies of embarrassment (hence our limited population).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I can answer some questions if that is OK with OP. I'll go with Original_Z, I'm not much of a meteorologist so I couldn't tell you about the Aurora, Saros. Sorry! Glad you enjoyed your stay, though.

Original_Z posted:

Even the OP is in perfect English. I really wonder how they do it, and why other countries don't emulate it.

As for our English, it really depends on who you meet - typically, metropolitan or young Norwegians will have a fairly decent command of English. I think this is partly a result of a strong emphasis on English education lasting from the first year of grade school to year 13, and higher education typically uses English textbooks (at least where I have studied). A second reason is, like you've been suggested, our TV - we do not dub most foreign programming like in France or Spain, and up until fairly recently, the most exciting stuff was foreign television, so many Norwegians were exposed to that, and other foreign languages.

These are, at least, the main reasons commonly given by most Norwegians. It's gotten to the point where some people argue that English, rather than a foreign language generally understood and spoken by the population, has become closer to a second official language.

Original_Z posted:

I've always wanted to go to Norway and just drive around in the country, but hearing how expensive everything is seems kind of scary, like you'd need to bring some serious cash with you to really enjoy yourself. How true do you think that is?

Generally, costs of living are higher in Norway than in the US, true. I'm assuming you're an American here, sorry if you are not. But unless you plan on eating out and clubbing a lot, you should be fine - especially now that the dollar is strong and the Norwegian Krone is weak due the oil crisis - 1 USD will net you over 8 NOK, whereas it has typically been between 5 and 6, so you should be fine if you're thrifty.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Pewdiepie posted:

How much does pizza delivery cost you?

Our firstborn (going rate for those on the market is generally around 20 dollars).

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Yeah I fudged the price for pizza, it's easily double what I said.

• Locked thread