Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

This world is new, but it’s path is set. It will chase the star that gives it life, spinning through the void, until the star itself begins to die. So too are set the paths of the people upon this world. Their history is known; it has been observed, recorded, and filed away, before it even occurs. But one being has, for whatever reason, escaped the modeling. We will see what mark you can make upon the world.

You are born in a small village in the early years of society. This world’s history has been written, which is to say I’ve written it. I know what would have happened, had you, the players, not existed. What’s going to happen with you around is what we’re going to find out together. So, I need a few decisions from you.

You are born in one of four villages that exist along the banks of a large river. The river is the only reliable water source in the area. It runs southwards, past the villages of Ankot, Kelet, Makil, and Potom. There is no other major civilization nearby, barring the occasional group of nomads, who come through the area most years for the dry season, and a semi-yearly trader. The people of these villages are mostly self contained, having many of their needs met, if rarely exceeded, by the area surrounding them.

1:
A: Ankot The northern most village, is run by Alean, a man respected by most in all four villages. Ankot, the furthest north village, has the worst yield of crops, but is closest to the best hunting lands of the region, and as such is does fairly well.

B: Kelet Next village south, it’s land has a few small copper diggings, but nothing particularly rich. Their farms produce enough for themselves, they rarely stuggle. A matriarchal village, always run by the oldest living woman, who also tends it’s godhouse.

C: Makil is, even in this standoffish society, not particularly loved. A few generations back, they took in a group of refugees fleeing something. The adults of the refugees never really adapted or learned the local language, and as such nobody ever got a clear picture of what happened. Because of this, the less accepting people of the region consider the people of Makil to be foreigners, possibly cursed for taking in strangers. Any time a disaster strikes, someone blames Makil. Even so, the village thrives, everyone always has enough, with some put away for emergency.

D: Potom The southernmost village, they turned away the people who eventually settled into Makil. This has led to some bad blood over the years. Potom lays claim to an actual copper mine, and is the first village most traders in the region stop at. They are rich, at least compared to everyone else, but do little farming for themselves. They bring in surplus food in exchange for their copper work, the finest in the region.

2: Did your mother survive birthing you?
A: Yes
B: No
C: She did, but she died later. By the time I was considered an adult, she was gone.

3: Did your father survive until you were an adult?
A: Yes
B: No
C: I never knew my father

4: Did anything strange happen on the day you were born?
A: For a single second, everything was quiet, even my mother. Even me.
B: A meteor swarm, the night sky aflame with them
C: A solar eclipse, the first in my people’s memory.
D: Other. Be creative! I’ll work it in!

So, this is my first CYOA, but it’s based on an idea I’ve been playing with for a long while. I hope to follow this world through several ages of the game. The goal of this game shouldn’t be to not die, but to make your one life guide the world the way you want it to go, to make the changes you want to see in the next era.

This is a very ambitious project for me, made more so because I’m also using it to get back into writing, something I haven’t really done seriously in years. NaNoWriMo seemed like the time to start up. I welcome feedback, I want everyone to enjoy this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Index

Era 1:
"Pathos means backstory, right?"
"Before and After"
"Moving Forward"
"SoL: Things were almost cheerful"
"Six years? We only needed to skip four..."
I hope they don't make me wear robes
This is a placeholder. It holds places

Mithross fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 25, 2016

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Reserved

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1. C Forever goon tribe
2. B Mom was killed right after our birth.
3. B Dad killed himself out of shame not too long after.
4. D our afterbirth included a dead goat...thing that came out after us. Mom was killed once the tribe found out

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1c 2b 3a 4b

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
D C A A

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CAAA

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
1. B
2. A
3. A
4. A

It might be good to post what format you'd like answers in. Just a suggestion. Thanks for starting this and beware of curses! :)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1. C
2. C
3. C
4. D Every other woman in the village past menarche, partnered or no, fell pregnant. I was the harbinger, the vanguard of a multitude that would change the world forever.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

DBBB

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Battle Royale Baby posted:

1. C Forever goon tribe
4. D our afterbirth included a dead goat...thing that came out after us. Mom was killed once the tribe found out

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

1. C Forever goon tribe

Cool

I was going to write in something about an earthquake, but murdering a fetal goat demon that was probably trying to assume our position is badass as hell.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Cool

I was going to write in something about an earthquake, but murdering a fetal goat demon that was probably trying to assume our position is badass as hell.

Comedy option: It did assume our position, and they are now led by a demon goat child with knowing eyes who speaks unpleasant truths.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I've started working on the first update, I'm hoping to finish it before work. If I don't manage that, it'll go up tonight for sure.

edit: not going to make it before work, expect a post tonight

Mithross fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 3, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
For what it's worth I would've voted CAAA

I guess you guys hate having a happy childhood.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Goons don't know what 'happy' or 'childhood' are :ssh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

dont be mean to me posted:

Goons don't know what 'happy' or 'childhood' are :ssh:

Pathos means backstory, right?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

1. C Forever goon tribe

This

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Luckily, the two late voters mostly canceled each other out, both ties remained ties. Also, I saw Loel's quote halfway through posting, and knew I had my title. I hope that's ok

"Pathos means backstory, right?"

You were born, like most living things. You were born in pain, and blood, and tears, and joy. But all that stopped, just for a moment. You drew your first breath, used your lungs for the first time, and the world inhaled with you. Everyone, everything, was silent and still… and then you screamed, and the world moved again. That moment, that clearly holy sign, is probably all that saved your life. As you were laid on your mother’s breast, it followed you from the womb. A misshapen thing, more animal than human, goat eyes and split feet, covered in blood. It never drew a breath, never moved, but still the villagers burned it, and scattered the ashes far from grazing lands. Your mother, weak from the birthing, didn’t survive the sight of your twin. She died in sorrow, and probably just before the villagers could kill her themselves. This split omen, so holy then so demonic, has driven your life. It shattered your father, he’s just gone through the motions ever since. He’s kept you alive, but never much more. And so you grew up alone, kept distant, nobody sure if you were meant for good or evil.

You are eight, and your father has been gone for a few days. This isn’t unusual behavior. You’ve learned to take care of yourself, as long as there’s some sort of food in your home. The villagers mostly leave you to your own devices, as long as you aren’t starving or causing trouble, but there are a few people in your life that make an impression.

Your uncle, Saul, is an important man in the village! He takes you to the temple of the Plainsgod, brought to the village by his people years ago, a guardian of herdsmen and nomads. He tries to make sure you’re accepted in the village, and sometimes even brings you gifts. You and he even look alike, being lighter skinned than many in the village. He says it shows that the Plainsgod favors you, but you aren’t sure… if that was true, why did your mother die to a curse?

1: Do you show interest in the Plainsgod?
Questions about belief and the like are just getting a baseline. Your eight year old religious status will not drive your life

A) I believe in the Plainsgod, and do my best to pray to him like I’m supposed to

B) I believe in the Plainsgod, but don’t worship him really, I’m just going through the motions for Uncle Saul

C) I don’t believe in the Plainsgod, but go through the motions because it makes my Uncle happy

D) I don’t believe, and refuse to worship him

Your father occasionally takes you to the totem house of Rerak, the god of the region, the creator in the Earth, who is worshiped in all the villages near here. The priest there is much kinder to you than the followers of the Plainsgod. He once told you that a curse doesn’t keep following people, and Rerak, who grants his followers the strength of stone, would protect you anyway. He even let you touch the village totem once, a piece of rock that looks just like wood, shaped like the lands around the village.

2: Do you show interest in Rerak, creator in the Earth?
Questions about belief and the like are just getting a baseline. Your eight year old religious status will not drive your life

A) I believe in Rerak, and do my best to pray to him like I’m supposed to

B) I believe in Rerak, but don’t worship him really, I’m just going through the motions for my father

C) I don’t believe in Rerak, but go through the motions because it I hope it will bring Dad some peace

D) I don’t believe, and refuse to worship him

Just about to prepare a meal, you hear Uncle Saul call you from outside the house. “Boy, where are you? Come outside.” He sounds upset. Your uncle never sounds upset, he’s always strong. If you didn't know he only worshiped the Plainsgod you'd think he followed Rerak. As you step outside, the nearby villagers all turn to watch. “Listen, boy… how would you like to come and live on my land? You could spend more time with your cousins, maybe learn your way around a horse. Have friends.”

It takes a minute to understand what he’s asking you. You never really considered living somewhere else. This is your home, it’s where your father lives, and you aren’t sure what he would do if you weren’t around. “Is Father coming too? I…”

“Your father… he won’t be coming back this time. He had… he had an accident. He’s gone.”

What do you do?

A)Go quietly with your Uncle

B)Refuse to leave, certain your father will return

C)Go with your uncle now, but sneak back tonight

D)Other

Also, some minor time hand waving is in effect, you can ask the religious figures some questions if you’d like. They probably won’t divulge the secrets of life to an eight year old, however.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 4, 2016

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
1. B
2. A
3. C

Ask the priest of Rerak: "How can I be as strong as stone? Where did the totem come from? And why didn't Rerak protect my parents? :("

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:D

BAC

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
DDD I don't believe in anything. I can look after myself (until the food runs out).

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
AAA

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

It's not a true CYOA until you get the BAC of OP over .3

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
DDC. Only I am due worship.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Voting for AAB. Gotta believe man!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
AAC

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

lets hedge our bets and worship everything

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A, A, C

To vote for C is to vote fore Adventure!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BBC

Little young to have an understanding of faith, yeah?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

dont be mean to me posted:

BBC

Little young to have an understanding of faith, yeah?

Mathew 18:3 :colbert:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I made the horrific mistake of buying Stardew Valley and Dominions 4 this morning, and now like magic it's 1am and I haven't finished the update.

I got it outlined and it'll go up tomorrow.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mithross posted:

I made the horrific mistake of buying Stardew Valley and Dominions 4 this morning, and now like magic it's 1am and I haven't finished the update.

Ah, for me its xcom and civ. -nods wisely-

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Mithross posted:

The curse, it begins.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mr. Nemo posted:

The curse, it begins.

Aint seen nuthin yet

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I made a playlist of horribly depressing music while drinking to try and get the right amount of feels here.

Before and After
Walking to the Plainsgod’s temple with your uncle never felt quite right. People noticed you. People paid attention to you. You always knew your uncle was really important, and when you were with him, people pretended like they thought you were important too. You knew what they really wanted was to pretend you weren’t there at all, but your uncle never let them. They talked to you when they talked to him. The priest in the temple mostly ignored you, though. You could tell Uncle Saul wasn’t happy, but he loved the Plainsgod. One day, he told you “These people aren’t the Plainsgod, they’re just people. Even if they don’t love you, I’m sure he does.” You loved your uncle, and you knew he wouldn’t lie to you, so you prayed to the Plainsgod like he taught you, and offered the sacrifices he gave you, and tried to love the Plainsgod like he did. The priest always said the right words over your sacrifices, like he did everyone else.

But walking to temple with your Father was one of your favorite things. The people ignored you both. Nobody made you talk to them, nobody made you act different. Your father even held your hand sometimes. And in the temple, the priest was always nice. He never pretended. He talked to you about Rerak because it made him happy, and he liked you. Sometimes when you chanted with him, your father actually seemed happy, and that was the nicest thing of all. One time, when your father was away praying, you asked the priest why Rerak let your mother be cursed. “Oh, poor child. Rerak gives us strength, but our battles are our own. I’m sure your mother used her strength to keep you safe, to make sure you entered the world whole and healthy. You were little, and you are precious, so she kept you safe.” That was the day he let you actually touch the village totem! He told you that people had found it on the riverbank years ago, and settled here because of it.

You prayed to Rerak all the time. You asked him to make you strong, so that you could protect Father the way Mom protected you. You asked him to help Father get strong again, so you could be a family. And you thanked him, because you believed the priest, and knew Rerak had made your mother strong too.

So now, walking out of the village with your Uncle, you were a mess. You knew Rerak would help you. You knew your uncle wouldn’t lie to you. But your father couldn’t be gone. He loved you. Rerak loved you. Plainsgod loved you. This just couldn’t be real. Even the villagers were wrong. They actually looked at you. Not your uncle, then at you. Just at you. They looked sad. They looked relieved. They shouldn’t be able to see you at all! You just wanted things to be the same.

Uncle’s lands distracted you at first. People waved at him. People waved at you. His house was bigger than anything in the village, except for the temples. As you got close, two children ran up and jumped into your uncle’s arms while he laughed and smiled, as happy as you’d ever seen anyone. “This is your cousin,” he told them, as he settled them on the ground, “and he’s going to stay here from now on. He’s part of our family now.”

“We’ve heard about you!” said the younger child, a boy around your age. “I’m Aaron. Do you want to see my dog?”

“Not now, Aaron. Let him get settled first. You can play later.” Saul pulled you along, as you were too stunned to walk on your own. Nobody had ever asked you to play before. Entering the house, he took you to a small room in the back. “This is your room now. It used to be your mother’s.” You stared. You couldn’t remember how to talk. You hadn’t spoken since your uncle told you your Father was gone. You weren’t sure you could anymore.

“You can stay in here, or come outside. If you want to meet your other cousin and your aunt, or to eat, or sleep, or… just do what you need to do today. We can talk more tomorrow.” He gave you a hug, then when you still hadn’t responded, left you alone. You heard his voice outside, as he yelled for your cousins, as he walked away. You laid down on the bed, silent. Alone. Every now and then eyes looked through the doorway, but nobody said anything. Eventually it got dark, and a woman walked through the doorway and put a blanket over you. And it didn’t make a difference at all.

After everyone else was as silent as you had been, you got up. Walked out. Went home. And cried.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 7, 2016

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'll have another scene with vote/votes up a little later tonight, but I got this far and realized it was probably the right place to end the scene.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

This is good ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Moving forward

You wake up, cold on the floor, and there’s your father, sleeping at the table. He stirs when you do, and turns, smiling the smile you always dreamed you’d see on his face…

You wake up, and the house is cold and empty. Everything is rot and dust, the smell of decay surrounds you…

You dream, and your world dries up and blows away.

You wake up, and your uncle is sitting next to you, dozing. He looks uncomfortable, and when you get up he opens his eyes. “I guess I should have seen this coming. I’d like you to come back with me today, if you’re ready. This house will be here if you need it.”

You nod, and the two of you walk out, closing the door tightly behind you.

On your uncle’s ranch, you meet his family again. Like your mother, Saul married into a wife that didn’t show refuge blood. Your aunt Ephis is a short, petite woman with dark skin and hair. She gives you a hug the moment she sees you, and you try not to cry again. She pulls you to the table and puts a piece of cheese and some bread in front of you, all without saying a word.

Your cousins both take after their mother. The younger son, Aaron, is about your age and has enough energy for the both of you. You aren’t even sure he actually needs to breath, as he fills the room with chatter about his dog, and a duck he saw, and how cows are boring, and… until your older cousin walks into the room and smacks him on the back of the head.

“Shut up, let him finish breakfast.” His name is Jorrim, and at about 12, he’s just starting to enter adulthood. He gives you a wink, just before Aaron turns and tackles him, taking both of them out the back door into the yard. Ephis quickly closes the door, and you manage a small smile before you eat.

After a few days, your uncle starts giving you tasks around the ranch. Easy things at first, at first mostly to keep your mind occupied. You still go with him to the Plainsgod temple, and your aunt takes you to Rerak’s temple on his holy days. Rerak’s priest was always glad to see you, and if the Plainsgod priest wasn't happy, he didn't seem any worse than usual.

Time passes, and if it doesn’t heal all wounds, it buries most of them.

How do you spend your time?
Pick up to three. If you pick fewer, it means you spent more time on the options you did choose. You will have done most options at least a little. You may optionally choose a fourth option that you actively avoided when possible.

A: I filled up free time herding the animals, and just being away from people. I loved spending time with the animals. My uncle owns quite a few cows, sheep, and even his own bull.

B: I devoted my time to Rerak. I knew he would make me strong. Over time, the priest started having me help him tend the temple.

C: I spent more time in the Plainsgod temple, hoping to change the priests opinion of me. I’m still not sure why he dislikes me so, but I want to find out and fix it.

D: My cousin Aaron frequently gets into trouble. He also likes to wander the fields, and even occasionally go up into the hills outside town. He also tries to bring back flowers or herbs, something to explain why he disappeared for several hours and came back muddy and scratched. He often invites me, both to his pranks and his adventures.

E: Jorrim is learning to manage the ranch, and doesn’t mind his little cousin tagging along as he does his daily tasks. He tries hard to be serious and act like an adult all the time, but when he fails he just laughs it off. I try hard not to bother him, and might even learn a few things about business while he does.

F: I always knew Uncle was important, but now I know why: he’s an elder, one of the three people who work together to settle disputes in the village. He works alongside a farmer you see often at Rerak's temple, and an old man who knows more curse words than everyone else put together. When I ask, he sometimes lets me tag along with him on his official tasks, as long as as I’ve done my chores.

G: Aunt Ephis is always glad to have me help her. She knows a lot of stories, stories of Rerak, of the Plainsgod, stories the refuges told and old stories of the village. Aaron likes the stories too, but can’t hold still for one, and Jorrim is getting busier, so she’s always happy to tell me some while I help her with house work.

H: My uncle visits a lot of skilled workers in Makil, and one of them agreed (when Uncle asked) to let me help out around their workshop. Write in what you wanted to do. If you aren’t sure if Makil is going to have what you want, feel free to ask

I: I spent a lot of time by myself. I went for walks, checked on my old house, walking through the village or even the wilderness, but never too far.

L: Write in

Mithross fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 8, 2016

• Locked thread