Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HOLY poo poo THE CUBS WON THE WORLD SERIES THIS REALLY HAPPENED WHAT THE gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GRANDPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhNdCxhK28

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there is no more doom and gloom, now it's just normal baseball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Der Meister posted:

That was a pretty fun game.

that took like 2 years off my life

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Also, now I can get a new avatar.

It's a shame to retire this guy, but it's time.
<------

I didn't want to buy one during the playoffs because I'm superstitious and didn't want to jinx anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The overreliance on Bauer/Tomlin was what came back to bite the Indians in the rear end. Sending both guys out there on short rest (especially Bauer who was bad all postseason) while not being ready to pull them if trouble hit was such a bad move, and you can't do that when you're the worse team. The Cubs were the much better team and actually played to win 4 out of 7, while the Indians played to win 3 and then hope to steal a 4th. It almost worked, but it shouldn't have and it didn't. Congrats, you deserved the win.

What Francona did was amazing. I don't know what the limit was, but I think if he sent Salazar out there to start Game 6, I would be sober right now. If I wasn't a dumb Cub fan I'd be rooting for Cleveland, what a loving awesome team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mister Perky posted:

So, which team is going to overpay Rajai Davis next year just because of this game?

Let's spitball our best guesses.

rajai davis loving owns

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Guys the Cubs won the loving World Series.

may god have mercy on us all

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

I'm too drunk to look for the source but IIRC somebody mentioned in the GDT that this series from a statistical standpoint was the most evenly matched in history. Game 7 was a down and out slugfest between the best two teams in baseball in 2016, and the Cubs came out on top by a hair. It doesn't get better than that.

i am sure i have like 3% more gray hair tomorrow

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

I think I need a new avatar too and I figure at this point what better than a gif of Rizzo or somebody from Cubshine and Lollipops

or maybe Pear Baby

[

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Did anyone get a picture of Jon Hamm in the stands as the Cubs got the final out?

i'm sure jon hamm has some important information about 11 championships

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There's a part of me that is so happy and stunned and disbelieving that I need to be at that parade tomorrow and there's the much more likely part of me that despises crowds and has no desire to stand by myself eating elbows for hours when I can watch the whole thing on TV.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol who is this guitar dildo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ahaha travis wood

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

someone should have given a mic to travis wood

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Farchanter posted:

E: don't the Cardinals get extra "small market" draft picks every year?

those picks are for playing the game the right way

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Just kick back and enjoy Jon Dowd and Zack Greinke's curveball of doom.

people are still updating the game. I downloaded the 2015 version and made all of Hendricks's starts and he finished with the lowest ERA and a Cy Young and I thought well that's a fun, quirky thing to do with a videogame.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

If Andrew Miller got signed by the Giants, I would hop right back on that bandwagon and I wouldn't even care.

isn't miller under contract next year?

my off-season goal is for The Large Lad, Kyle Schwarber, to figure out how to lumber around in the outfield without destroying every ligament in his beefy body

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Jeremy Hazelbaker claimed by Arizona. I'm worried for his safety; scorpions are not as safe to eat as mayflies.

we're all just waiting for JD Murders

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sure Miggy didn't play much, but in the games he played he had a pinch-hit, game-winning grand slam in the NLCS and the winning loving RBI in game seven of the goddamn world series, dude is a loving hero.

He also had the dumbest cool hit of the season, which was the walkoff dinger against Milwaukee that let the Cub celebrate clinching the Central even though they technically won it the night before when St. Louis lost.

e:

Niwrad posted:

You only needed a PH. The team has like 8 guys who I'd rather see in the corner outfield spots. Only reason Coghlan played was when Joe got shook and started loving with things.

dude, they won

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MLB Offseason N/V: Internecine Cubposter Squabbling

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please don't link to Steve Rosenbloom in this thread

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only good baseball stat is Pitches Framed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i normally stand for Baseball Justice but nothing in the world would make me happier than Kyle loving Hendricks winning a Cy Young in Real Life.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i mean, it would be ridiculous if anyone but scherzer won it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

flags fly forever you goofuses, see y'all in 2124

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i just remembered HERE COMES THE PEETZUR and watched it 800 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSQMXLO95w

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a lot of information here in this thread, here's an interesting fact: the Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

Hi I'm here to talk about can't miss minor league prospects that were hugged to great effect

code:
 G   PA   AB   R   H  2B 3B  HR RBI SB CS  BB  SO   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS
134  614  555 11O 178  53  5  43 116  7  3  48 134 .321 .381 .667 1.O47
Man wasn't Brandon Wood great in 2005? What a shame that he ended up being worth -3.7 WAR in parts of 6 MLB seasons and washed out in 2014 after some bad AAA and Independent ball.

code:
G   PA   AB   R   H  2B 3B  HR RBI SB CS  BB  SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
137  597  541  94 166  38  O  39 12O  4  3  48 123 .3O7 .363 .593 .957
Here's MLB bound prospect Brian Dopirak crushing the Midwest League at age 20... and out of baseball by 2011 without even a cup of coffee in the majors.

code:
G   PA   AB   R   H  2B 3B  HR RBI SB CS  BB  SO   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS
45  194  164  44  67  14  3  17  53  2  1  21  31 .4O9 .495 .841 1.336
And here we have the first 2 months of Jake Fox blowing up AAA in early 2009 before he was called up for 82 games of -0.2 WAR contribution. This one's actually still playing baseball, hasn't been in an MLB game since 2011 but has bounced around between AA, AAA, Independent ball and the Mexican and Korean legaues. He slashed .264/.329/.494 for the Phillies AA affiliate and seems to be the definition of roster filler.

Will Torres end up like them? Maybe, maybe not. But nobody in Chicago is going to 'what might have been' Torres even if he becomes the next Mike Trout because of what 2016 will mean to the Cubs and the city forever.

This post doesn't have enough All Star Brian "The Hair" LaHair

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone else watch the Fastball doc on Netflix? It's pretty bland but it's baseball, so I'll watch Goose Gossage talk about the Law of the Jungle and Walter Johnson's 83.2 MPH heater.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Segura completely and utterly owned the World Champion Chicago Cubs every time they played, so he must obviously be a superstar.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the white sox weren't so high and mighty about trading with the Cubs when David Aardsma was available.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

castillo owns

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if the nats get sale, that's an insane rotation

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jesus the white sox are blowing it the gently caress up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chicago sports teams only targeting wades

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Considering that Jorge once tried to singlehandedly attack a dugout with a bat, the royals finally got the teammate Ventura needs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

As SAS' s Number One soler fan I'm a little bummed, I still think he's going to mash. Wade Davis owns though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fare thee well, jorge, who was involved in one of my favorite Cubs moments in the past two years
http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=72546383

Soler might be a crappy outfielder, but dude has a howitzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

A Hestono-no, thank you very much.

• Locked thread