Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the B-2 Cool AF?
Yes
Hell Yes
GOKU
View Results

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Okay, so my local news channel was showing a thing about how the original B-2 prototype is going to be flying at an airshow (it's a flying wing that uses propellers!) and it made me wiki the actual b-2 cause I know its cool but I've alwasy wondered how it actually works, and like so it has a tiny as gently caress profile, at least it looks like that from the pictures, but apparently they can hold a FUCKLOAD of bombs, like the wiki says can hold 80 500lbs bombs to 16 2000lbs bombs/nukes. how the gently caress can it hold all those? Where does it put them, the plane looks compact as gently caress? I figured this would be the best place to post this question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Like, are the "bigger" (heavier) bombs just dense as gently caress but the same size? It just makes my brain confused to think that so many bombs can fit in a plane that looks hella small :confused:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The B-2 is actually a lot bigger than it looks. Its wingspan is 52 meters, or a little shorter than the B-52. And yeah, bombs are generally pretty compact.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 5, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nooner posted:

Like, are the "bigger" (heavier) bombs just dense as gently caress but the same size? It just makes my brain confused to think that so many bombs can fit in a plane that looks hella small :confused:

Bombs can vary greatly in weight and dimensions, the Mk 8x family is the workhorse of the US dumb bomb world:

The USAF and USN have gone toward smaller, greater accuracy bombs to reduce collateral damage while increasing effectiveness; the small diameter bomb (GBU-39 / 40) has dimensions of:
Weight 285 lb (129 kg)
Length 70.8 in (1.80 m)
Width 7.5 in (190 mm)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

The B-2 is actually a lot bigger than it looks. Its wingspan is 52 meters, or a little shorter than the B-52.

This is probably what's loving with your brain. Without a clear sense of scale, it looks MUCH smaller than it really is.

I mean...drat:

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
When I was working in North Davis in Layton Utah, I watched several B-2's taking off from Hill AFB. That is an awesome sight. They are very spooky to watch taking off, like bats almost. They are pretty good size.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hill gets all kinds of weird transient traffic. B-2s and others get depot work done there, then you've got exercises taking place in the UTTR, then you've just got jets with short-rear end legs like Hornets that just have to stop for fuel to get anywhere. That's one thing (it's a short list) I miss about living there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
B-2 is suspiciously large for how small it looks in photos.

However, B-52s will be around till the Earth is consumed in the fire of the sun.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Edgar posted:

When I was working in North Davis in Layton Utah, I watched several B-2's taking off from Hill AFB. That is an awesome sight. They are very spooky to watch taking off, like bats almost. They are pretty good size.

I'm not sure you've ever seen a bat take off....

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

cult_hero posted:

I'm not sure you've ever seen a bat take off....

You're right, I never seen a bat take off.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
They're also thicker than they seem from a lot of angles:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The USAF and USN have gone toward smaller, greater accuracy bombs to reduce collateral damage while increasing effectiveness; the small diameter bomb (GBU-39 / 40) has dimensions of:
Weight 285 lb (129 kg)
Length 70.8 in (1.80 m)
Width 7.5 in (190 mm)

Jay-sus Cerrrist that's compact.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They're also thicker than they seem from a lot of angles:

Holy crap it looks like a Komet from that angle

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
This shot I took this morning does a pretty good job showing how big the B-2 is:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
B-2s actually contain a portal to the bomb dimension, but we made them stealth so that nobody would be able to figure that out

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
The bomb dimension best dimension.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The bomb dimension is a Lovecraftian horror which has partially driven man insane from what he has divined from it so far. There are far more powerful bombs that we have not discovered in the depths of that hellish place yet, and they hunger for our destruction.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
voted Goku

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Please tell me that the portal to the bomb dimension is opened by a big red button.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nooner posted:

Okay, so my local news channel was showing a thing about how the original B-2 prototype is going to be flying at an airshow (it's a flying wing that uses propellers!) and it made me wiki the actual b-2 cause I know its cool but I've alwasy wondered how it actually works, and like so it has a tiny as gently caress profile,

Can we go back to this for a second? I thought all the X/YB-35 prototypes had been scrapped or crashed. Do you mean to tell me someone got one airworthy? Because if so I will drive to wherever the gently caress your town's airshow is.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

It's probably an N9M.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Helldump Immunity posted:

The bomb dimension best dimension.

It's the bomb

Original joke do not steal

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Can we go back to this for a second? I thought all the X/YB-35 prototypes had been scrapped or crashed. Do you mean to tell me someone got one airworthy? Because if so I will drive to wherever the gently caress your town's airshow is.

It was here in LA but I dont know where it would be now, assuming still on the westcoast?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

pls pray for this poor bird born without a neck

thx and god bless

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The cockpit actually has a sleeping cot, a microwave oven, and a toilet. Although I've been told that tour bus rules apply for the latter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Speaking of bombs, they are building a new apartment complex near FSU campus and found some WWII UXO buried in the ground. A live loving WWII bomb was found by a god damned backhoe or whatever. They got EOD from Tyndall to come down and blow it up last week. I could hear the bang from my house and was confused why explosions were going off and calming down the dogs that were going apeshit.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/11/16/possible-wwii-bomb-found-madison-construction-site/93979602/

Apparently this area was a training ground during WWII or something and there's likely a bunch more UXO scattered around.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
This is a fairly regular occurrence in London although the bombs are usually pissy little 250lbs Luftwaffe bombs. In Germany occasionally they dig up a 4000lbs 'cookie' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16018659

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
In elementary school in France, they have a standard course unit where they teach you that if you find a weird piece of metal in a tree or sticking out of the ground or something don't touch it and tell an adult. I think I had that in 2nd grade? Apparently it's not unheard of to find stashes of explosive cannonballs from the Napoleonic wars, grenade stashes the Maquis put there, or what have you.

They had coloring books and fill-in-the-blank comic strips, short stories you copied off the board, you name it. Probably designed by some government committee.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

This is a fairly regular occurrence in London although the bombs are usually pissy little 250lbs Luftwaffe bombs. In Germany occasionally they dig up a 4000lbs 'cookie' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16018659

Makes Top Gear The Grand Tour more interesting. Now the SIARPC can crash into UXO or a cage of electricity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uncle Enzo posted:

In elementary school in France, they have a standard course unit where they teach you that if you find a weird piece of metal in a tree or sticking out of the ground or something don't touch it and tell an adult. I think I had that in 2nd grade? Apparently it's not unheard of to find stashes of explosive cannonballs from the Napoleonic wars, grenade stashes the Maquis put there, or what have you.

They had coloring books and fill-in-the-blank comic strips, short stories you copied off the board, you name it. Probably designed by some government committee.

I think the coolest, yet creepiest part is the parts of the country from World War 1 that are no longer inhabitable both due to UXOs and chemicals leaching from unexploded and exploded bombs on World War 1 battlefields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_rouge

Verdun battlefield today:

Yes, those are shell holes.

quote:

The area is saturated with unexploded shells (including many gas shells), grenades, and rusty ammunition. Soils were heavily polluted by lead, mercury, chlorine, arsenic, various dangerous gases, acids, and human and animal remains.[1] The area was also littered with ammunition depots and chemical plants.
Each year dozens of tons of unexploded shells are recovered. According to the Sécurité Civile agency in charge, at the current rate no fewer than 700 more years will be needed to completely clean the area. Some experiments conducted in 2005–06 discovered up to 300 shells/10,000 m2 in the top 15 cm of soil in the worst areas.[1][not in citation given]
Some areas remain off limits (for example two small pieces of land close to Ypres and Woëvre) where 99% of all plants still die as arsenic can constitute up to 17% of some soil samples (Bausinger, Bonnaire, and Preuß, 2007).

God drat it, police your brass people.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 21, 2016

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Verdun's one of those places that I really need to visit at some point in my life. I know it's impossible to understand unless you're there in person; like doing BDA, for a while your eyes just skim over everything until suddenly it starts to click and you can't not see that poo poo ever again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Verdun's one of those places that I really need to visit at some point in my life. I know it's impossible to understand unless you're there in person; like doing BDA, for a while your eyes just skim over everything until suddenly it starts to click and you can't not see that poo poo ever again.

There is at least 100,000 bodies of MIA/KIA in that dirt.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

CommieGIR posted:

I think the coolest, yet creepiest part is the parts of the country from World War 1 that are no longer inhabitable both due to UXOs and chemicals leaching from unexploded and exploded bombs on World War 1 battlefields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_rouge

Verdun battlefield today:

Yes, those are shell holes.

God drat it, police your brass people.

I was about to say, there's large swaths of land between France/Belgium/Germany that are uninhabitable because of the sheer amount of UXO lying around. WW1 was hell.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I was about to say, there's large swaths of land between France/Belgium/Germany that are uninhabitable because of the sheer amount of UXO lying around. WW1 was hell.

It's a chrono-rift between Earth and the bomb dimension, that's all, stop freaking out everyone

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I'm wondering what it's like in present day Leningrad and Stalingrad with regards to UXO. WWII dwarfed the amount of shells/bombs used, but then again it was spread over a much, much larger area. We've all head about people still finding bombs and artillery shells in German cities, and Bombs in London, etc. but what about Russia? Or is it just, "Ivan, ignore that bomb, just build over it and pretend it isn't there!".

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Blistex posted:

I'm wondering what it's like in present day Leningrad and Stalingrad with regards to UXO. WWII dwarfed the amount of shells/bombs used, but then again it was spread over a much, much larger area. We've all head about people still finding bombs and artillery shells in German cities, and Bombs in London, etc. but what about Russia? Or is it just, "Ivan, ignore that bomb, just build over it and pretend it isn't there!".

Did you not see the previous video of the guy with a pick axe? Russia probably dug them all up and hit them with the butts of their AK's to test them, then disassembled them to use as scrap metal

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Blistex posted:

Just cover it in cosmoline and save it for WWIII.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

P-Mack posted:

Just cover it in cosmoline and save it for WWIII.

When the B-52 is retired the Air Force should fill a pit with cosmoline and dunk BUFFs into it in case the US needs them later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You mean "if".

• Locked thread