Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Dishonored is a 2012 stealth action game by Arkane, of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic fame. Inspired by titles such as Thief and Deus Ex, it heavily features stealth but allows for a variety of different play styles as you work to bring the traitors and murderers of your empress to justice. The sequel is set to be released at the end of the week, so I feel this is a great time to revisit the first one.

This LP
As unfair has already provided a nice and thorough playthrough and perochialjoe has showcased a bunch of really cool stuff you can do with your powers and crap, I will attempt to show off the versatility of the stealth gameplay by challenging myself not to use any special abilities and to avoid all the enemies I possibly can; no powers, no knockouts, no kills* This forces me to approach the challenges of the game quite differently, and should be interesting to watch. Or at least to play.

I will most likely not play the DLC, since unfair has done a nice job with it as well, and I'm not sure it's possible to complete it under these challenge rules.

UPDATE: I have checked out the DLC and will be continuing onto it after the main story. The DLC videos will be updated on a mon-wen-fri schedule to give me time to get the missions perfect.

*I will of course have to interact with many of the targets, and there are I think three guards and two weepers that need to be knocked out either to preserve Ghost or to progress in the game. I will also have to use Blink to bypass some obstacles that are impossible to clear by mundane climbing.

Challenge Rules

Thanks to Fish Noise for the awesome art.
  • No powers - only use Blink to progress when no other option is available (so 2 times after the tutorial)
  • Full Ghost - I try not to disturb any guards enough to get an audio cue (if you have the lightning bolt detection markers on, 1 is allowed, 2 causes an audio cue)
  • No knockouts or kills - except when required to proceed in the game or to preserve the stealth
  • Highest difficulty - Very Hard for the main game, Master Assassin for the DLC

Schedule
I will try to finish this before the sequel comes out on Friday, which is a big ask but I'm very familiar with the game and should be able to record most of the levels pretty quickly. I trust myself to be able to finish 3 mission videos for Tuesday, 3 more for Wednesday, and the rest for Thursday. Should something go wrong, I'll just have to hold off on playing the sequel until I've finished with this LP.
Turns out this was a dumb idea by a dumb person (me)! Instead, I will be uploading a video on every weekday, which is a much more sane idea.

The DLC will update on a mon-wen-fri schedule starting on November 21.

Feedback and participation
Any and all suggestions for improvements are welcomed. Also, if anyone feels like co-commentating an episode or two despite the insane schedule, PM me here or add me on Steam. I'm sure it would improve upon just having me talk over the game.

Spoilers
The game has been out for years now so I assume anyone interested has already played through it, but try to tag any story event spoilers the LP hasn't covered yet.

Videos

Knife of Dunwall

Brigmore Witches

Frosty Mossman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's a real tastement to the game's quality that between the LPs you brought up, this thread, and the other Dishonored LP thread still going on, that each featured its own distinct way of examining the game.

It also reminded me I still need to play through the DLC packs for this game before Dish2 comes out on Thursday, so thanks for that.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

First Update

I have a feeling I should adjust the update schedule to a less insane one (like one mission per day or so), but here's the first update while I go finish up the other missions I have recorded!

Genocyber posted:

It's a real tastement to the game's quality that between the LPs you brought up, this thread, and the other Dishonored LP thread still going on, that each featured its own distinct way of examining the game.

It also reminded me I still need to play through the DLC packs for this game before Dish2 comes out on Thursday, so thanks for that.
Yeah, I've played the game through at least five times so far, with a new gimmick every time after the first run, which was just "Try to stealth and then deal with it when you gently caress it up", and every single one has been fun to play.

The DLC is great, and I'm slightly sad it's probably not possible to complete it in this style. On the other hand, part of why I like this is that it doesn't seem like the game is intended to be played without at least Blink, and so it feels like I'm figuring out something unintended at all times instead of finding and executing designed paths, you know? Some of that might go away if they felt the need to make sure to accommodate dumb gimmicks like this in the design.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
So, we've got
The Comprehensive Corvo
The Moves Faster Than He Can Think Corvo
The Murder Corvo
The Whiffing Corvo

and now a hands-off stealth run, which makes...

The Corvo That Was Not There?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Second Update

Slightly late due to a personal emergency earlier today, but here it is. This time we learn about magic, appreciate some art, and annoy people by turning off the music just as it was about to get good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

So, we've got
The Comprehensive Corvo
The Murder Corvo
The Whiffing Corvo

Fish Noise stop it. One person cannot possibly be so wonderful.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

gently caress, I didn't realize it was so easy to ghost that first level in particular! I always ended up having to hurt at least someone.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Third update

This time we learn about weepers, fetch-quests, and talking. Oh god, all the talking. We'll finish the mission tomorrow to keep the video length manageable. Because of the talking.

Fish Noise posted:

So, we've got
The Comprehensive Corvo
The Murder Corvo
The Whiffing Corvo

drat, man, this is cool as hell. I've taken the liberty of sticking it in the OP to head the new challenge rules-section.

marshmallow creep posted:

gently caress, I didn't realize it was so easy to ghost that first level in particular! I always ended up having to hurt at least someone.
It's interesting to me how many of the optional rooftop routes are reachable even without Blink. It makes sense to make sure that even if a player somehow runs out of mana entirely, they can still proceed without backtracking to search for Remedies, but it seems to me they did not need to make so many of the shortcuts and stuff so accessible when other routes are available. It's very cool, though, and allows for a wide range of challenge.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the player always has a little Mana, mostly so you have a get-out-of-jail-free option.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Fourth Update

We finally get to the meat of the mission here, I've finished the game already, but I'll take a break from commentating and editing over the weekend. Next mission on Monday.

GoneRampant posted:

Well, the player always has a little Mana, mostly so you have a get-out-of-jail-free option.
Oh yeah, that's true, you can always Blink with the recharging portion, so it's not even required to allow progress for people who run out. I wonder why they made it possible to climb most obstacles, then. Telegraphing the way forward for people not quite used to where you can get to with Blink yet? It would be cool to read about their level design process.

EDIT: I'm conflicted with how I want to deal with Lady Boyle, and I'm not sure which option fits better with the theme of the run. I'm going to have to touch the target regardless, but killing her seems more merciful, however the stat screen after the level is not as neat as it would be with the super creepy non-lethal option. Any opinions? I've recorded both options already, but I'm not sure which to use.

Frosty Mossman fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 12, 2016

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Just wanted to pitch in that as someone who did a no-kill ghost run when the game first came out (except for that one bugged thing near the end, so no 'cheevo), I love this.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Loezi posted:

Just wanted to pitch in that as someone who did a no-kill ghost run when the game first came out (except for that one bugged thing near the end, so no 'cheevo), I love this.

Think I've got you beat- Flesh and Steel, highest difficulty (I bought the game twice), twice. I'm currently redoing the Daud DLC to get that achievement for finishing in Low Chaos and with 10 grand to spare.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Sniper Party posted:

Fourth Update
EDIT: I'm conflicted with how I want to deal with Lady Boyle, and I'm not sure which option fits better with the theme of the run. I'm going to have to touch the target regardless, but killing her seems more merciful, however the stat screen after the level is not as neat as it would be with the super creepy non-lethal option. Any opinions? I've recorded both options already, but I'm not sure which to use.

I feel like the most in-character solution for a Corvo that doesn't want to leave any evidence that he was there would be to get her to the boat and then kill both of them, making it look like a murder-suicide, or possibly a boating accident.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trick Question posted:

I feel like the most in-character solution for a Corvo that doesn't want to leave any evidence that he was there would be to get her to the boat and then kill both of them, making it look like a murder-suicide, or possibly a boating accident.

This makes me wonder if placing a Springrazor in the boat would have any effect.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Loezi posted:

Thanks, man! Game is so much loving fun to play, it's unreal. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my runs from minimalist stealth to all-out killing everyone.

Trick Question posted:

I think this is more like a germaphobe Corvo, who does not want to touch people as long as he can avoid it. Killing both would be super messy and I would have to touch 2 people. Oh well, I have time to test poo poo and potentially rerecord stuff until Tuesday. It's just a bummer I got the most fun Boyle on my first try and it would suck reloading the mansion several times to get her again.

Genocyber posted:

This makes me wonder if placing a Springrazor in the boat would have any effect.
Daaamn, I don't have any on this run but I'm really tempted to load an earlier save, get some, and then test.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Fifth update

This time we get to do one of my favourite missions in the game. The location is sweet and it's decently challenging, though much easier than I remember it being on my previous minimalist run.

I've also been looking at the DLC, and at least the first mission seems to require a bunch of AI exploits, glitches, and low-percentage tricks if you want to avoid knockouts and Blink. Certainly you need to bait guards around by alarming them with noises and thrown bottles. I'm not categorically opposed to distracting guards, though it does sound more like a poltergeist run than an actual ghost one to me, but I prefer to go for reliable and easily repeatable strategies instead of stuff that might require dozens of tries to get correct. I also really don't want to use glitches to get forward.

I still have some time to figure out whether I want to do the DLC and how, but it does seem like I need to let go of at least some of my principles here. LP Archive only has the ones I linked in the OP, has anyone done a regular Mostly Flesh and Steel + Ghost run of the DLC yet? I might do that if nobody has and I can't figure out a satisfying way to complete the DLC in the spirit of this challenge.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Check Prenatual's run to see what tricks you need.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, someone linked those to me earlier and I've been using them to make sure I didn't blink or knock out people excessively (It's where I found out about an alternate solution to the Coldridge gate guards - too late to fix my video though), thanks for the link though! Unfortunately his run does seem to confirm my suspicion. There's a bunch of stuff there I hadn't figured out, but he gets partly seen a lot and has to resort to both glitching and tricks that required him a ton of savescumming to get through.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Sixth update

It's annoying that I have to go out of my way to play the mission in a non-optimal way to get at least some stealth out of it, but at least it was fun. And I believe I found a pretty interesting solution for the ending.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wish you had checked out Corvo's room. I was curious as to whether eliminating Lady Boyle the way you did counted as killing her or not for the purposes of the reward you get if you "spare" her.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Sixth update

His power-base eroded, we now go after the Lord Regent himself and then have a party.

I've had time to check out the DLC properly and will be continuing onto it next week, after we're done with the main game, sticking to the gimmick but emphasizing consistently achievable strategy over strict adherence to the no blink/no knockout rules; if the choice is between abusing quicksaves or glitches and blinking, I will blink. To keep it neat and since the missions are quite difficult and require a lot of work to get right, the update schedule will be Monday-Wednesday-Friday, so Knife of Dunwall is next week, and Brigmore Witches the week after.

Genocyber posted:

I wish you had checked out Corvo's room. I was curious as to whether eliminating Lady Boyle the way you did counted as killing her or not for the purposes of the reward you get if you "spare" her.
I had to go back to check now since maybe I forgot something, but I'm pretty sure you get the reward whether you kill her or not, you just have to not kill all of the Boyles.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Seventh update

It's time for my favourite mission. This level really ups the challenge and showcases the difference even just Blink can make.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Loezi posted:

Are you talking about the device which knocks out all the guards on the final visit to the Hound Pits? I am guessing that since (vague allusion to a game mechanic in Dishonored 2) there is a similar thing to that you can do in a level in Dishonored 2 that everyone has been saying is a bug that kills unconscious people, and if the one in the original was the same kind of bug it's kind of funny they still haven't fixed it in the sequel.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really enjoying this ghostly flesh run. There's so many places you can jump and climb without blink, it's amazing.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Eighth update

The last video for the main game. This one is a double-mission update, as both missions are super short. A considerable decrease in difficulty from the Flooded District, except for the very last two guards who were quite annoying to sneak by without a musical audio cue.

Item Getter posted:

Are you talking about the device which knocks out all the guards on the final visit to the Hound Pits? I am guessing that since (vague allusion to a game mechanic in Dishonored 2) there is a similar thing to that you can do in a level in Dishonored 2 that everyone has been saying is a bug that kills unconscious people, and if the one in the original was the same kind of bug it's kind of funny they still haven't fixed it in the sequel.
I assumed he was talking about the Granny Rags/Slackjaw final side-quest, which sometimes assigns a kill for you even if you use a sleep dart.

Poil posted:

I'm really enjoying this ghostly flesh run. There's so many places you can jump and climb without blink, it's amazing.
Thanks! I played through the game like this way back when the game was released, and have been meaning to make an LP out of it ever since. You get to see the levels from an entirely different perspective and many places, the Flooded District being my favourite, are transformed pretty significantly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Having gone through the game for the first time just ahead of your videos, I too had that Overseer in the Tower randomly start playing his music box. Then he apparently heard two snoring guards in the bathroom where I left them while doing his loop, so decided to investigate by going in and just staring at them disapprovingly. Didn't even alert.

And same thing with the assassins being too lazy to turn around and blinking in place instead. :v: Lingering AI bugs, I guess?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Can't help but think of this game whenever I hear Avici's Wake Me Up.

"Feeling my way through the darkness, guided by a beating heart..."

Been playing the sequel and have to say it's about as good.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Knife of Dunwall, update 1

And we're back with the first DLC. I really like this level, but sadly it doesn't really lend itself to this play style and there are a few spots where your choices are to blink, glitch, or savescum. I chose to Blink, since I want to play the game as designed and with a consistently working strategy. The next levels are much nicer, though both KoD levels force me to do stuff I would not have dreamed of in the main game.

John Murdoch posted:

Having gone through the game for the first time just ahead of your videos, I too had that Overseer in the Tower randomly start playing his music box. Then he apparently heard two snoring guards in the bathroom where I left them while doing his loop, so decided to investigate by going in and just staring at them disapprovingly. Didn't even alert.

And same thing with the assassins being too lazy to turn around and blinking in place instead. :v: Lingering AI bugs, I guess?
Yeah, there are some spots where the enemies occasionally do something really weird and get stuck and poo poo, it's very annoying. In my first attempt at the Flooded District, the two assassins just inside Daud's compound got stuck and did not even start their conversation about Daud having the key through the gate. There was no way around them in the direction I wanted to go to and I hosed up trying to sneak in to Daud's office from the other direction.

achtungnight posted:

Can't help but think of this game whenever I hear Avici's Wake Me Up.

"Feeling my way through the darkness, guided by a beating heart..."

Been playing the sequel and have to say it's about as good.
I've been too busy to get very far in the sequel, but it's super cool so far. I'm plagued by annoying framerate issues and mouse sensitivity inconsistencies, though, which is a bummer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Only three blinks is pretty amazing. :stare:

I really like stuffing that rear end in a box. Non-lethal is the best.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Knife of Dunwall, update 2

A bit of a longer mission, with much more waiting, this time. I spent a loooong time figuring out how to deal with the second area and all of its possible permutations even though it turns out it's randomized at the start of the level instead of the start of the area. Why? I dunno, I just wanted to be thorough.

Poil posted:

Only three blinks is pretty amazing. :stare:

I really like stuffing that rear end in a box. Non-lethal is the best.
It's ok, but I'm annoyed there's no other way into Rothwild's office or to the shipping box, in a game that's usually very good about offering alternate paths to your objective.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I was expecting something to go wrong after the Lord Regent loses power because otherwise the game was too short.

The thing which makes me mad about the betrayal is that it was just so drat unnecessary. As an ally of the Empress he could have had a lot of power without exploiting her. But he wanted it all, he wanted everything for himself. He even killed his own allies - Martin and Pendleton and realizes at the end what a waste it all was. That is why even though on my low chaos playthrough, even though I went the non-lethal route for most or all of my targets, I killed Havelock at the end.

I haven't done the DLC myself yet, so I'll be checking out of the LP now. It was good and I liked all the little tricks. Well done.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
One thing the DLC has made me wonder is. Is the Delilah in the DLC the same one that's in the sequel?
At least to me it seems so but that's hard to tell at the moment since I really haven't progressed to far into it to get her backstory.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. I still have absolutely no idea how in the gently caress anyone in the conspiracy expected to get away with Corvo's murder. Emily is of conscious age, and was fairly aware of what was happening. Was their plan literally to return her to to the throne only to murder her like a week later (or keep her in isolation for a while and then murder her)?

2. Much as I like to bash this game's writing, the two guards talking about working for Timsch was fairly decent. Still first-draft in execution, but decent.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Knife of Dunwall, update 3

Here's today's update at last, and boy what a pain it was. I was finished with the other Knife of Dunwall missions by Tuesday and have spent most of my free time after that trying to get an acceptable run of this mission through. The amount of chance involved is infuriating. Let's hope the 2nd DLC is better in this regard.

Xander77 posted:

1. I still have absolutely no idea how in the gently caress anyone in the conspiracy expected to get away with Corvo's murder. Emily is of conscious age, and was fairly aware of what was happening. Was their plan literally to return her to to the throne only to murder her like a week later (or keep her in isolation for a while and then murder her)?

2. Much as I like to bash this game's writing, the two guards talking about working for Timsch was fairly decent. Still first-draft in execution, but decent.
I assumed they would keep her basically prisoner and then get rid of her if she started causing trouble, but mostly I think they just panicked and were massive idiots.

The writing is unfortunately usually mediocre at best, yeah. I really like the environmental storytelling and the atmosphere in most missions, but anything with dialogue or plot is just extremely basic and uninspired.

Doseku posted:

One thing the DLC has made me wonder is. Is the Delilah in the DLC the same one that's in the sequel?
At least to me it seems so but that's hard to tell at the moment since I really haven't progressed to far into it to get her backstory.
Yeah, it's the same Delilah.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

This is the level that made me realize that you can do something very interesting with decapitated enemy heads in this game. Or at least overseer heads.

Come to think of it, I never did upload a video detailing that particular trick. Maybe I should.

Edit - Goodbye, Billy. The literally 2 minutes we've spent with you make your betrayal ever so affecting.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 25, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Xander77 posted:

This is the level that made me realize that you can do something very interesting with decapitated enemy heads in this game. Or at least overseer heads.

Come to think of it, I never did upload a video detailing that particular trick. Maybe I should.
Is it crysis tree stealth?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

I'm going to miss the Monday update for this week due to unrelated poo poo and no time to do the commentary. I also won't have time tomorrow so Brigmore Witches will unfortunately be Wednesday-Friday-Sunday instead of Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Sorry!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

Is it crysis tree stealth?
No idea what that means. If (and I'm just guessing here) you mean "can you hide behind enemy heads", the answer is sadly "nope".

Maybe Sniper Party has an answer, as the resident expert.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Xander77 posted:

if corvo disappears without emily seeing it, you can basically tell her anything you want. corvo is already in the habit of disappearing without explanation for long periods of time, so you can effectively make up whatever you want and she's got no choice but to accept the explanation until she reaches the age of majority and can supplant the regent (Havelock notes in one of his log entries that he can't really see forward that far, and in the worst case scenario he hopes to be long gone by that point - unlike Hiram he's got an exit strategy).

the quandary that corvo presents for the Loyalists is that while each of the Loyalists can cause big political problems for them all, none of them can provide smoking gun evidence the way Corvo can. if Corvo gets pissed, he can go public about the entire thing and gently caress EVERYONE 9 ways from sunday and there's basically nothing they can do about it. if Martin turns, there's a scandal and it's a fight, you can discredit him in various ways (not the least of which is his own admitted use of blackmail in the Abbey). Pendleton turns, same deal. the lower level guys turn, they're from 'bad families' so you can do a public smear campaign. Corvo is unique in that he's already had everything taken from him, but has been effectively adopted among the highborn. so he has credibility, he has orders of magnitude more evidence and witness he can generate, but him melting down for the sake of his daughter (open secret among noble circles that he's Emily's father according to Harvey Smith) is really perfectly rational in his situation. he's already been in nothing for most of his life, it ain't poo poo for him to hop a boat and go back to being nothing.

basically, you can hold knives to everyone's throats and they're all high up and used to the good life so that's effective. corvo's spent the majority of his life in the gutter to begin with and has done all of his best work there, so you can't threaten him with dishonor the way you can everyone else, and he's the biggest threat to everyone else in terms of what evidence he can actually provide if turned hostile. it does make rational sense to eliminate Corvo as a threat, but doing so by trying to poison him, well, that's a different matter. a different approach would've been better advised, for sure, but most people in this game have a pretty bad case of the Starscreams. the motivations make sense, though.

been really enjoying the LP, incidentally, great work on it, Sniper!

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

I would think that telling Emily one thing and everyone else another ("Corvo is a murderous madman who had to be kept away from Emily lest he rip her to shreds", or whatever rumours they seem to have put in circulation when you return to the Hound Pits) would not hold for very long at all should they not keep her very tightly in control. It makes the plan seem more like a panicky reactionary thing that wasn't really thought through, but yeah the motivations do hold up.

And thanks! I've enjoyed doing this, it's been a while since I last played the game and this has been a cool challenge as well as a nice reminder about various details while playing the sequel.

Xander77 posted:

No idea what that means. If (and I'm just guessing here) you mean "can you hide behind enemy heads", the answer is sadly "nope".

Maybe Sniper Party has an answer, as the resident expert.
I'm hardly an expert on decapitations, I've only done one properly lethal run through the game! If I had to guess, I'd say maybe you could block bullets with Overseer faces since their masks protect them when they're alive?

Anyway, here's...

Brigmore Witches, Update 1

Finally got this finished and uploaded. I really, really enjoyed figuring this one out.

• Locked thread