Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

... one of the goals today was to try and march onto the freeway which...sounds a bit dodgy to me, but I am a wimp at civil disobedience so my opinion probably doesn't count for much.

People on the freeway will get on the regional and often national news. And it gets those iconic shots of crowds of people from the view of a helicopter.

Think of it this way...

The US has a very strong car culture, and the interstate highways are the arteries of commerce. Throwing a wrench in that for an hour or two is a legit way to protest. And the cops know well in advance that you will be there and make sure emergency services get routed around it.

That said, if you already have a big crowd, you could just surround city hall, and spend your time scheming and networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So, for a reminder, Philadelphia has a protest starting at Thomas Paine Plaza, by city hall, around 6:30, though I will be taking a night off to reclaim my vocal chords. Tomorrow, there is a protest starting at 3pm at the same place which says it ends at 5, though that could vary as well. I'd bet anything that there will also be a protest starting, again, at Thomas Paine Plaza around 6:30.

Please post the protests that are going down around you even if you aren't going yourself. Also, if anyone has questions about how to find their protests, I'll do my best to answer them (though results may vary).

Finally, if you do end up in a protest, post about it in this thread! My experiences have been awesome, and I have little doubt that your testimonials will inspire both posters and lurkers to become involved.

basically :justpost:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2016

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
San Antonio reporting here

I was at the protest at the Alamo last night. Decent turnout for what seemed like a last minute event (a little over 100 rsvps on the FB event but it looked like more than 200 showed up). The counter-protest consisted of one guy with a gadsden flag. We marched around downtown and through the riverwalk (a big touristy area), receiving both cheers and boos. I noticed a correlation among the hecklers; the larger the novelty cowboy hat/sombrero they wore, the more hateful their remarks. Quite a few people said that we should have been ashamed of ourselves for protesting on veteran's day, but they got shut down when the veteran in his 60s in our group got on the bullhorn. The group was very peaceful and we didn't have any conflicts with the police. Overall I had a good time, got some hugs and hi-fives when I would have otherwise just sat at home and played video games.

There's another protest tonight, 6:30 at City Hall. Nearly 800 people have rsvped for it so it should be quite the crowd. I made a sign earlier today with some hi-vis spraypaint and am looking forward to see how well it lights up in the dark.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Please post the protests that are going down around you even if you aren't going yourself. Also, if anyone has questions about how to find their protests, I'll do my best to answer them (though results may vary).

I'm still curious if any protests are going on around US embassies and consulates abroad. Any advice for finding those and/or arranging them?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

People on the freeway will get on the regional and often national news. And it gets those iconic shots of crowds of people from the view of a helicopter.

Think of it this way...

The US has a very strong car culture, and the interstate highways are the arteries of commerce. Throwing a wrench in that for an hour or two is a legit way to protest. And the cops know well in advance that you will be there and make sure emergency services get routed around it.

That said, if you already have a big crowd, you could just surround city hall, and spend your time scheming and networking.

the ol' Chris Christie, gets em every time

Pajser posted:

quite honestly and you can tell me im an idiot, but i don't see any other outcome for these protests other than being subverted and ending up being a massive scam as soon as it reaches momentum.

they're like business socials for political activists unless you're cripplingly stupid and try to shut down a city to no clear end because you didn't like how people voted or something. nobody much cares that you protested beyond vague warm fuzzies/'grrr jail the hippies' sentiments that go nowhere but you might have a good time and meet loads of people doing something actually effectual who you'd never run into otherwise

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 12, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

I'm still curious if any protests are going on around US embassies and consulates abroad. Any advice for finding those and/or arranging them?

Do you have a particular country in mind? Stand Up to Racism had a protest on wednesday originating for the embassy in London, and they're planning an event for the 19th. I know my friend has been attending protests in Rome, though I didn't get the details.

e: from some guy posting on facebook it seems there's a protest going down tonight in germany

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 12, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Do you have a particular country in mind? Stand Up to Racism had a protest on wednesday originating for the embassy in London, and they're planning an event for the 19th. I know my friend has been attending protests in Rome, though I didn't get the details.

Calgary or Canada in general, for me.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

Calgary or Canada in general, for me.

Global BC is reporting that there's a protest planned outside the vancouver arts gallery tonight.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3063358/anti-trump-protest-planned-for-downtown-vancouver-saturday/?sf42197324=1

I think you'd be best off searching your local news organizations for info about upcoming elections, trying to sift through facebook is a bit much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Global BC is reporting that there's a protest planned outside the vancouver arts gallery tonight.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3063358/anti-trump-protest-planned-for-downtown-vancouver-saturday/?sf42197324=1

I think you'd be best off searching your local news organizations for info about upcoming elections, trying to sift through facebook is a bit much.

I googled it and didn't come across anything nor have I been able to find anything on Twitter about it.

Thanks for taking a look.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
Hey y'all, just wanted to pop in here to let you know that you are behaving like spoiled brats that can't handle democracy and as a punishment you're now getting 8 years of Trump, instead of 4.

I hope you learned your lesson.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

I googled it and didn't come across anything nor have I been able to find anything on Twitter about it.

Thanks for taking a look.

yeah having difficulty finding anything Calgary specific, mostly defunct websites. You could try just rolling up to the embassy just to see if anything's going down

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Velkest posted:

Hey y'all, just wanted to pop in here to let you know that you are behaving like spoiled brats that can't handle democracy and as a punishment you're now getting 8 years of Trump, instead of 4.

Sir this is a thread for constructive contributions only. If you are going to troll you are going to need to put far more effort into it than that. If that is too much for you, we have many lovely threads in C-SPAM and GBS where your quality of posting would fit right in. Thanks! :)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 12, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Velkest posted:

Ehhh, just let the people protest, we're all gonna go up in a ball of radioactive flame once some world leader shakes Trump's tiny hand wrong or whatever in a year.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
man some of you guys are having a bad week

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Irom posted:

man some of you guys are having a bad week

that's the loving understatement of the year

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
San Antonio report pt. 2

Definitely a lot more people showed up tonight. We started at City Hall, marched through downtown, stopped at the Alamo for a bit, then returned to City Hall. As far as I am aware, the militia that said it would open-carry counter-protest did not show up. Cowards. I hardly noticed any hecklers at all. Once again, everyone in our group was respectful of the city and the police were very cooperative. I saw quite a few news cameras so I'll be keeping an eye on local media to see what coverage we get.

In summary:

karlor fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 13, 2016

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm in Mississippi so there's basically nothing going on in terms of protests going on. Does anyone know of any protesting going on in the south?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Veyrall posted:

I'm in Mississippi so there's basically nothing going on in terms of protests going on. Does anyone know of any protesting going on in the south?

idiot of the legal system said they were a community organizer in Atlanta, so they might have some insight to offer. Idiot, if you read this post, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would`nt it be more efficent to protest in the areas where Trump won? They are the People who deserve to get their lives disturbed and made to feel a degree of shame,, not the loyal liberals of New York, DC,SF etc who strongly rejected him.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Baudolino posted:

Would`nt it be more efficent to protest in the areas where Drumpf won? They are the People who deserve to get their lives disturbed and made to feel a degree of shame,, not the loyal liberals of New York, DC,SF etc who strongly rejected him.

This does not make sense.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PT6A posted:

Saw some friends sharing this on Facebook:

http://allevents.in/johannesburg/vigil-a-space-for-mourning-and-solidarity-against-trump/1727261594258464

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

It seems unlikely, if for no other reason than that the traditional protest meeting place in the courtyard on the steps of the VAG (and also incidentally the site of Occupy Vancouver) is currently a construction site.

This apparently happened on Thursday, though: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/anti-trump-protest-vancouver-1.3846662

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Svartvit posted:

This does not make sense.

Why not?

Also, I want to point out that if there was this kind of excitement before the election, we wouldn't have Trump today. Anecdote, I know, but some friends of mine did jack poo poo before the election as far as supporting sanders/Clinton. The media and polls told them a Trump election was impossible. Now they are protesting because Trump won. I guess what I'm saying is that a huge problem this election is that much of the base was REactive rather than PROactive, and I hope that the lesson was learned for 2020.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

central dogma posted:

Why not?

Also, I want to point out that if there was this kind of excitement before the election, we wouldn't have Trump today. Anecdote, I know, but some friends of mine did jack poo poo before the election as far as supporting sanders/Clinton. The media and polls told them a Trump election was impossible. Now they are protesting because Trump won. I guess what I'm saying is that a huge problem this election is that much of the base was REactive rather than PROactive, and I hope that the lesson was learned for 2020.

So, we're being PROactive now by organizing and galvanizing the left before he and the troglodytes that make up his administration start enacting their agenda. politics doesn't begin and end in the ballot box and being proactive for 2018 let alone 2020 means acting NOW, not later.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I get really sick of hearing people poo poo on protesting. It works, I have seen it work in my community where it has gotten living wage ordinances passed locally, defeated local ordinances that would have criminalized homelessness, helped provide the political will to create homeless shelters and safe spaces, organized workers to unionize and strike. All of this has happened in my community because of organized and sustained protest movements. The reason people like to poo poo on protesting is because they don't want to be bothered to do it and want to feel self righteous about their inaction so they don't have to feel guilty for doing nothing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

apropos to nothing posted:

I get really sick of hearing people poo poo on protesting. It works, I have seen it work in my community where it has gotten living wage ordinances passed locally, defeated local ordinances that would have criminalized homelessness, helped provide the political will to create homeless shelters and safe spaces, organized workers to unionize and strike. All of this has happened in my community because of organized and sustained protest movements. The reason people like to poo poo on protesting is because they don't want to be bothered to do it and want to feel self righteous about their inaction so they don't have to feel guilty for doing nothing.
I just poo poo on protesting in another thread, actually. I will take what you're saying under advisement though and watch more closely and consider going to a protest. What I see though, is that they don't seem to accomplish much. Maybe that's just nationally though - my perspective is a bit skewed because I have, until this month (!) been living outside the US for my entire post-college adult life.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

karlor posted:

In summary:

Didn't replace the snake with a cat, a shameful protest

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

On my way to a solidarity with immigrants rally outside City Hall!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Went to the NYC one yesterday, it was a pretty good time, definitely recommend to those of you feeling despondent from the election. It was explicitly about networking activist groups, which is probably the best that can be done at this point. It's good to get an early start.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

apropos to nothing posted:

Those were local issues with local decision making. I'm not sure what protesting a newly elected president in the abstract is going to achieve. He's not resigning. The moment he tried to pass something heinous, protesting in DC or around federal institutions would make more sense of course.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Those were local issues with local decision making. I'm not sure what protesting a newly elected president in the abstract is going to achieve. He's not resigning. The moment he tried to pass something heinous, protesting in DC or around federal institutions would make more sense of course.

I read through this thread and I just really want to know an answer to this question. What is this going to achieve, other than showing that you dislike the results of a public election? It isn't like the government will suddenly block Trump from becoming President just because some people didn't like the results of the election.

In fact, this seems to weaken the ability for protesters to make a point. He hasn't even taken office yet, and people are launching prejudiced protests against him for his role in hypothetical situations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The rally I'm at in Austin Texas is incredible. Hundreds of people and the Mayor declared Austin will be a Sanctuary City. If he really means it today should be national news.

Edit turns out the mayor is not willing to make that stance. drat

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 13, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Why do I have the feeling that the people arguing against protesting now would be the same people in the 60s telling Civil Rights protestors to calm down and just accept it.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

You know that in my local area and yours too, there is an office for your federal house rep. There are 2 US senators in your state as well. You organize around local issues and you can direct that energy against national issues when needed by organizing and demonstrating outside of these offices. State level, you can demonstrate outside the state capitol or state house reps or senators offices.

All you people complaining about how protesting will do nothing to stop trump: you realize that in 1968 the French government was forced to dissolve the parliament and hold new elections because of the protests and strikes that were occurring. The protesters literally shut down the french economy and forced DeGaulle to flee the country. When the elections were held later, Gaullists ended up with even more power than before but the nature of the Gaullist faction was changed profoundly and french society was completely upended. Protests work and yes, with enough power and presence they can topple governments. You might not think that's possible in this case but it's historically ignorant and intellectually lazy to dismiss the fact that they at least have the potential to do so.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And Ukrainians managed to oust Yanukovich (with some molotovs, and let's ignore how that turned out). The problem is that neither Trump nor anyone else just elected is actually in office.

I'm all for protesting, and networking and solidarity is a good reason to do so. It just feels somewhat premature, and I'm afraid that things are going to flame out by inauguration. I'm not American but do have a stake in everything not going down the shitter.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

karlor posted:

San Antonio report pt. 2

Definitely a lot more people showed up tonight. We started at City Hall, marched through downtown, stopped at the Alamo for a bit, then returned to City Hall. As far as I am aware, the militia that said it would open-carry counter-protest did not show up. Cowards. I hardly noticed any hecklers at all. Once again, everyone in our group was respectful of the city and the police were very cooperative. I saw quite a few news cameras so I'll be keeping an eye on local media to see what coverage we get.

In summary:

Are there any more coming up? I'm finally coming out of shock and would be willing to join in now that the sa protesters have proven themselves to be peaceful and socially responsible. But I dont put my face in books or anything like that so I don't know whats up.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

I read through this thread and I just really want to know an answer to this question. What is this going to achieve, other than showing that you dislike the results of a public election? It isn't like the government will suddenly block Trump from becoming President just because some people didn't like the results of the election.

In fact, this seems to weaken the ability for protesters to make a point. He hasn't even taken office yet, and people are launching prejudiced protests against him for his role in hypothetical situations.

Cool, I get to repost my post from the other lamer, less attractive protest thread

quote:

As for me, I could say that it's about showing solidarity with those that have been demonized by Trump's rhetoric and to tell them that the entire country doesn't hate them and that they aren't alone. I could also say it's about trying to build momentum for an actual leftist political force in the United States. But really, the thing that got me on the streets was that I saw that some people weren't going to take this horrendous poo poo sitting down, and decided that I had to stand the gently caress up with them. A feeling of resolve beats a feeling of despair any day, and its probably more productive as well.

Groups of vulnerable people are terrified right now and we have to show them that they are not alone. If there's any chance of an actual opposition arising from this then we have to pursue it now and every day forward. Sure there's a good chance it will fail to cause genuine change, but your view that protesting is pointless leads to the identical result of said failure. Between trying and failing or giving up from the getgo, I'll take the option that has a chance of success, however miniscule, any day.

Besides, he's not my loving president, and that's a point that needs to be driven into that fascist buffoon's skull every loving day.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

satanic splash-back posted:

How in the world does it weaken protesting?

And it's not for his role in hypothetical situations - we're showing solidarity for those who are made vulnerable, and protesting against those who take his election as an endorsement of their hateful behavior.

Koalas March posted:

Why do I have the feeling that the people arguing against protesting now would be the same people in the 60s telling Civil Rights protestors to calm down and just accept it.

Because they are.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

The rally I'm at in Austin Texas is incredible. Hundreds of people and the Mayor declared Austin will be a Sanctuary City. If he really means it today should be national news.

Edit turns out the mayor is not willing to make that stance. drat
Seattle mayor Ed Murray did, though, and stood by it. I think a few cities will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In Austin, a woman named Cristina Tzintzún spoke. She gave one of the best speeches I've ever heard in person. It was fiery, it was emotional, and it was inspiring. She just launched a new group called JOLT (https://www.jolttx.org). Its website isn't much and it just began, but Cristina is amazing. Here is a bit about her

quote:

Tzintzún is a leader in the Latino immigrant and workers’ rights movements, and was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine and Texas’ top 20 Changemakers by the Texas Observer. Her work has been featured on NPR, The New York Times, USA Today, Univision, and MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin. Cristina is the author of the book “Presente! Latino Immigrant Voices in the Struggle for Racial Justice” published by AK Press (2014) and other works on issues of race, class and gender.

At 24, Cristina co-founded Workers Defense Project (WDP), a statewide, membership-based workers’ rights organization winning better working conditions for immigrant workers in Texas. She built WDP from a small volunteer project into a statewide organization that was named “one of the most creative organization’s for immigrant workers in the country” by The New York Times.

She helped lead the organization for over a decade, taking on one of the most powerful special interest groups in Texas – the construction and real-estate industry. Working conditions for the nearly 1 million construction workers who labor in Lone Star state are some of the worst in the country, with widespread documented cases of wage theft, injury and death. At WDP, Cristina won the passage of half a dozen local and state laws, better protecting the rights of hundreds of thousands of workers, guaranteeing them higher wages and safer working conditions.

So I know she is legit and means business. I talked to her and told her I want to work for her. I don't know if she is a citizen, but if she is, the Democrats NEED to be getting her to run for something.

• Locked thread