Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think Zizek is right. It would be better for the left if protesters stopped protesting and thought about what should actually be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Agnosticnixie posted:

Anytime even the milquetoastiest of social democrats puts a plan forward it's shut down as "impossible lol you poor summer child, please vote for more neoliberalism instead"

Actually neolibs love protesting. It makes their constituency feel busy while nothing gets done and the political pressure gets transferred to local governments and police. Now is the time for planning, and strategy, for figuring out what the left's next step is.

We all know that the protests aren't going to do anything, they aren't going to bring about any changes or have ANY positive effect because they aren't for anything. These protests are blatantly just about making people feel better while giving them the illusion that they also somehow making a difference.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/797034721075228672

The neolib wing is shattered! Now is our chance to seize the reins, but its not going to happen if we just go out into the streets at night and act like idiots for the cameras. The neolibs won't waste their time with that nonsense and neither should we.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 11, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oh wow we are going to have so much solidarity now what an excellent and successful protest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A big flaming stink posted:

Let me be clear, protesting is in no way remotely sufficient. It's a first step that has to be followed by many others from organizing to a cohesive plan with goals. My personal hope, though hope is a lie obviously, is that this popular sentiment can be refined into a grassroots movement that will place immense pressure on the Democrat Party to resist Trump and adopt actual leftism. Its a cliche, but the Democratic Tea Party would feel pretty good.
Protesting is nowhere even loving near the first step in organizing a cohesive plan with goals. Its not a step towards organizing anything at all besides the protest itself and maybe a riot. The tea party was not organized with protests it was organized by organizers who worked diligently to create a movement out of nothing, that the organizers were hired by the Koch brothers makes no difference at all. We barely have to do any of the work that the Tea Party did at this point anyway. The DNC is in complete shambles, there's no leadership and nobody there knows what to do about it. Its a bus left on the side of the road with its keys in the ignition.

[solidarity is important] to show would-be skinheads that there are plenty of people that have some pointed remarks about them trying to smash people's houses and harass/assault people they view as other.
lol

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 11, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Kingfish is an avowed white supremacist, just put them on ignore.

No I'm loving not you crybaby corncobber

Agnosticnixie posted:

Neolibs only love protesting when it's not against them. Clinton went down hard at the anti-globalization protests, and we also got the incredibly tepid reaction to BLM until they became politically expedient to support, and the additional "lol gently caress occupy" before that.

The problem is that a lot of these protests are going to end up like the anti-war movement.

Protesting the DNC is an awesome idea, people should be doing that. That might help right now. These protests against Trump are masturbatory and people are openly admitting as much.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

At the risk of trotting out "we can do more than one thing at the same time," nearly every protest I've heard about have had calls to meet to organize next week into something more cohesive.

The sheer spontaneity of these protests is going to cause a lag in organization, but the fact that there is such a sentiment about how unacceptable this poo poo is needs to be expressed.

I'll be happy when organization is happening and unhappy when it isn't. A divisive election is now over in America, nobody needs to be told that half of us are pissed off and freaked out. This happens every 4/8 years.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Doorknob Slobber posted:

laugh if you think its just four years.

Someone much smarter than me once said something like "if you aren't willing to stand up for your rights and the rights of others, then you probably don't deserve them" and you're a pretty shining example of that.

Protesting to have a good time and to jerk off about how much solidarity we all have is not standing up for our rights. Don't be naive.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

apokaladle posted:

I don't know about you but I don't think protesting is fun? I'm a weird awkward nerd, I'd much rather be waiting for the new Pokémon game or shitposting instead of getting tear gassed. I came out because I needed to remind myself of what was important, because I knew I couldn't afford to sit around crying, and listening to the speakers and talking with people in my community has inspired me to get involved in a way I haven't for years. This is part of my mourning, and now I organize.

What you are describing is catharsis and it's why I think masturbation analogies are apt. You show up and cry and listen and feel connected and then you've protested and can go home to feel warm about your solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

apokaladle posted:

I'm going to sign up with my local chapter of the IWW on Sunday. I'm also attending other community meetings in the upcoming weeks. It's certainly possible to stop at catharsis, and it's up to me to maintain the discipline not to do so.

:yeah: that's great man I'm glad to here it!

• Locked thread