Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Another video review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhf9n_9YFws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

acksplode posted:

They butchered San Francisco :gonk:

Part of the hype for me was seeing my neighborhood rendered in-game, but the Mission is gone, along with like half of the city. Also in-game Oakland doesn't even try to look like IRL Oakland. Sausalito is a more faithful reproduction. Not a huge deal but I'm a little disappointed.

:stare: Looks like the Presidio and Golden Gate Park decided to team up and swallow my old apartment. I used to work up in Sausalito though, maybe I'll try to blow up my old boss's car when this game's on a Steam sale next year.

And what in the unholy gently caress is that diagonal street perpendicular to Market? :ca:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 14, 2016

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
poo poo they folded the presidio sideways over my house! Interested in game plummeted.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've never been to San Francisco so I will instead complain whenever the layout of this game's city is different from San Fierro.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

And what in the unholy gently caress is that diagonal street perpendicular to Market? :ca:
I think that's supposed to be Columbus Ave. It's like they took the northeast quarter of SF and scaled it out to be the entire city.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wasn't disappointed by the first game, but that's only because I went into it with the lowest of expectations

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Niko was lying when he said he was tired of killing :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kurtofan posted:

they hacked the maps

They literally hacked the planet.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

marktheando posted:

I've never been to San Francisco so I will instead complain whenever the layout of this game's city is different from San Fierro.

There's no Big Pointy Building with a parachute on it! :downsgun:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
What are the collectibles this time around? I only know about songs again (though this time cars have radios you can grab songs from) and the landmark pictures.

I'd assume privacy invasions are back.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So did they at least A: Make the Protagonist more likable and B: Make the game feel more like you're a hacker and not some stalker with a super phone?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

So did they at least A: Make the Protagonist more likable and B: Make the game feel more like you're a hacker and not some stalker with a super phone?

A: Marcus has an actual personality and displays human empathy so he is better than Aiden Pierce by default. He is however an Internet rear end in a top hat a lot of times.

B: Kind of. The game puts a lot more emphasis on sneaking into places unnoticed and a lot less on gunfights and car chases unless you specifically go out of your way to do that. However the core mechanics are still basically Magic Hacking Button but with more versatility in what the Magic Hacking Button does.

Tone-wise? Yeah, it's all about hacking the gibsons, very little about being a super-vigilante.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well from what I've seen, it's very up its rear end about hactivisim, but is leagues better than Aiden's predictable, boring and pointless self-ruin. Also I like the color and how Marcus doesn't really FEEL too powerful even if you can beat this game like it ain't no thang. But you can still do all the rear end in a top hat things Aiden did along with doing what was done to Marcus, so he's still an rear end in a top hat with too much power in a game that lets you be an internet rear end in a top hat.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I played for about an hour and have very positive first impressions. Looks great and runs silky smooth on PS4 Pro, better than any other open world game for sure, Marcus is likable, music is extremely my poo poo, and as a repeat tourist to SF (my dad's home town) they've nailed all the stuff I remember so far. Obviously it's extremely condensed, like the park area south of the Golden Gate is non-existent, but who cares.

Most importantly, I already have a stupid shirt

Only concerning thing is how different the controls are compared to every other game. That always fucks me up, especially this time of year.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually really enjoyed the "puzzle your way through instead of shootmens" aspects of the first game, and since they promised more of that in this one I pre-ordered it. We'll see if that was a dumb choice in a bit, I guess.

Worth noting that I just checked for an update on a whim and have now downloaded the 1.03 patch, so if you're planning on playing ASAP you may want to grab it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never played the first game after seeing all the backlash. Is this game worth playing even with all its idiosyncrasies?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone taking bets on the number of bans coming in PSN and XBL for posting full frontal?

Please don't go looking for that twitter twat pic. Just don't. It's like seeing your own elderly grandmother with crotchless panties and full '70s bush.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I dunno about others but I love how hard they're trying to be 'cool' and 'hip' :allears:
Is this Co-Op proper this time? Not just running around with nothing to do? If so I'm ArfCroc on PS4.

Worst game of the century confirmed.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 15, 2016

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Tower of Power in the opening has me excited to play tomorrow.

It looks like the co-op is more like Far Cry 4 than Saints Row 2, but I've not played the.game yet. If it even works. Has anyone with the game been able to run co-op?

I am going to try to do as little shooting in my first playthrough as I can. As Aiden I ended up killing a lot of people in the few non-invasion missions I played. Nowadays I kinda just want to hit people with a ball on a string. And more hacking of online players. The thrill of walking around like an ai while the other player flips out looking for you is great. Until they find you and murder you with an smg.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Looking forward to this, waiting on a code from Green Man Gaming. Is anyone else buying the game through them?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, mowing down hundreds of rent-a-cops seems seriously at odds with the goofy tone of the game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It looks like they took out the invasion tailing mode, which is annoying. Not that invasions are even working at this point.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

beer_war posted:

Yeah, mowing down hundreds of rent-a-cops seems seriously at odds with the goofy tone of the game.

Shoulda just made them dumb chappie drones

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think WD2's cops are the most aggro I've seen in a game since Jet Grind Radio. I strayed into a secure area looking for a bag of cash and before I knew it, I had three guys unloading pistols into my face and a K9 dog fastened to my nuts.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This made me laugh pretty hard because my wife and I had a similar conversation in this exact same location last year after walking from the Bay Bridge to Golden Gate and then finding it really difficult to get back to our downtown hotel as the sun set. (just an npc convo, no spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oVjvZTQhwM

We were expecting some sort of taxi loop or tourist stand or something there like we have at our local Lions Gate bridge. We couldn't call a cab from a business in the warehouses below, and buses never showed up, but eventually a local took pity on us and ordered us an uber - we didn't have cell phone service in the US either.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I think WD2's cops are the most aggro I've seen in a game since Jet Grind Radio. I strayed into a secure area looking for a bag of cash and before I knew it, I had three guys unloading pistols into my face and a K9 dog fastened to my nuts.

To be fair, you are playing as an African-American.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What every screenshot from this game showing the protagonist looks like to me:

I thought that the first one was just bland but if this one is interesting then I'll give it a go if I have some money left after all the other concurrent releases.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how SanFran has more rolling gun battles in the street than even well... like everything.

Oh yeah, you can actually steer cars in this one too.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 15, 2016

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
So is the tone of this game basically the modern-day spiritual successor to the 1995 movie Hackers?

If so, sign me the gently caress up.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It looks like they took out the invasion tailing mode, which is annoying. Not that invasions are even working at this point.

Invasions in general seem to have an off switch so there are going to be people that opt out that you possibly won't ever be able to invade. A nice compromise between people who want that function in and people like me who just want to play a single player game. Although I guess that'd opt me out of co-op shenanigans.

Mung Dynasty posted:

So is the tone of this game basically the modern-day spiritual successor to the 1995 movie Hackers?

If so, sign me the gently caress up.

Jim said there was a lot of references to hacker movies of old including someone singing Los Locos. This game at least takes some levity in the fact that they're making a really dumb hacker cyberpunk without possibility becoming too self-mocking. You take selfies with Marcus posing with his stupid techno-colored tazer gun. This is leaps and bounds more thoughtful than Aiden Pierce being a mad whitey brooding about vengeance and doing the right thing as he causes blackouts that kill people in hospitals and runs over pedestrians waiting for the next "future crime" to beat with his stick.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 15, 2016

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've barely cracked the surface of the game (played for an hour and a half last night) but the interactions and conversations between the Dedsec members track pretty closely with ones I've had with my friends and coworkers my age.

Or maybe it's just that I'm that rear end in a top hat who revels in making stupid movie references and speaking in a mediocre Ahhnold accent when it's only tangentially appropriate. Even then, the game thus far has proven to be less "HEY FELLOW KIDS" and more "Sup lelandjs do you see how you're kinda annoying to talk to?".

[Edit: Oh right, forgot my "favorite" NPC interaction from last night. I pulled off the street on my borrowed Vespa and parked it in on the sidewalk, didn't hit anything or anyone, just stopped it on the sidewalk. I get off and from behind me I hear "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING" and turn around to see a balding middle-aged white guy rapidly approaching... who immediately belts me on the chin. I retaliate with my rope knot and passersby instantly dial the cops, who I then had to run from.

Basically, Watch_Dogs 2 is less "hacking sim" and more "being black in America sim".]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

What every screenshot from this game showing the protagonist looks like to me:

I thought that the first one was just bland but if this one is interesting then I'll give it a go if I have some money left after all the other concurrent releases.

That is pretty much the plot, yes. I'm genuinely unsure of how tongue-in-cheek they were trying to be but at very least they're trying real hard at it.

beer_war posted:

To be fair, you are playing as an African-American.

I'm pretty sure the game explicitly mentions that Marcus gets profiled harder by cops than anyone else. It's certain a plot point when you go int Silicon Valley.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 15, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-watch-dogs-2-full-frontal-nudity-can-get-you-banned-from-psn

Sony doesn't like people taking pictures and sharing them of the numerous naked people in Watch_Dogs, so watch out everybody.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Watch Dogs 2: Going Comm@ndo

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was very pleased to discover the day one patch is only 200mb, until the fact that I now apparently consider a 200mb patch to be small made me sad about the state of modern gaming. Seriously, the last few games I've bought have had at least 5 gigs to download over the appallingly slow PSN using the PS4's dogshit wifi.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Crabtree posted:

Jim said there was a lot of references to hacker movies of old including someone singing Los Locos. This game at least takes some levity in the fact that they're making a really dumb hacker cyberpunk without possibility becoming too self-mocking. You take selfies with Marcus posing with his stupid techno-colored tazer gun. This is leaps and bounds more thoughtful than Aiden Pierce being a mad whitey brooding about vengeance and doing the right thing as he causes blackouts that kill people in hospitals and runs over pedestrians waiting for the next "future crime" to beat with his stick.

I was interested, but I just saw the PC version doesn't come out for another 2 weeks, lmao.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Judge Tesla posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-watch-dogs-2-full-frontal-nudity-can-get-you-banned-from-psn

Sony doesn't like people taking pictures and sharing them of the numerous naked people in Watch_Dogs, so watch out everybody.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Watch Dogs 2: Going Comm@ndo

Watch Dongs

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Played for about 4 hours last night and had a pretty good time. I never played the first one so I can't compare them, but the first few missions I tried have been fun. So far it seems like a really competent, polished open world game with lots of ways to gently caress with the world around you. Basically a GTA that doesn't suck so bad. Hacking and sneaking my way through the world nonviolently is rewarding. I don't feel like there's a shooting game I'm missing out on.

I'm also coming down from my dismay at the inaccuracy of the world map -- SF from like 5th & Market to the Ferry Building and down Embarcadero to the Golden Gate bridge is crazy accurate. The area around AT&T Park is spot-on too. And then there are small chunks filling in the rest that are meant to represent the various neighborhoods. Dolores Park and the Mission Dolores, the Castro, Civic Center, Embarcadero Center, even a little bit of Bayview are all there. The effect is that I'm wandering around this largely familiar city with occasional moments of strong deja vu. Apparently the little bit of water that juts into Oakland is supposed to be Lake Merritt, I'll take a look around there tonight and see how it holds up.

The Ubisoft SF office is in the right place, and there's a mission where you can break in and steal an unreleased E3 trailer for an unannounced game. It was vague and serious-looking enough that it might be an actual tease for a new IP -- something sci-fiey that takes place in outer space. Also you can look at the salaries for various roles at Ubisoft, which must be kinda awkward for them lol.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Judge Tesla posted:

They gave him a month after he posted a thread on NeoGAF about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Also you can look at the salaries for various roles at Ubisoft, which must be kinda awkward for them lol.

There's a chat in that office where someone offers someone else a blowjob which strikes me as even more awkward to include in a game.

• Locked thread