Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'll probably get this next month during the holiday sales since I found the first to be decent. I'm not expecting the plot to be a big improvement over the first though, the humour in promotional material so far is pure "how do you do, fellow kids?" and one of the developers saying the word lulzy out loud during an interview doesn't fill me with hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

Just finished the game. It was actually a ton of fun, way more than I actually thought it would be. It was the first Ubisoft open world game that felt like it had a... soul? A personality? I don't know how to explain it, but it felt more genuine. Like, other Ubisoft games almost feel like real expressions of human creativity, but the beats and pauses and flow are all wrong so that I feel like if I gave Ubi a hug it's face would fall off & shatter on the floor and there would be a motherboard with eyeballs & teeth where a skull should be. This felt more like a Thing made by Humans.

Eh, I'm slowly playing through this and don't see it as genuine at all. It's a pretty typical Ubisoft game: people really didn't like something in its predecessor so they had a kneejerk reaction and went for the complete opposite. Same thing with Far Cry 3 vs 4 with the latter's plot being a parody of 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 where the latter was wacky pirate funtime adventures compared to 3 and its po-faced protagonist. Them making fun of rear end Creed's Unity bugs in Syndicate preview videos and saying ~~ it won't be like that this time~~, constantly showing off stealth in Splinter Cell Blacklist to bring back the audience they lost with Conviction, the list goes on and on. The intro in this game with the protagonist getting drunk and saying I'M GOING TO HAVE SOME FUN made me roll my eyes thinking how the development team was probably desperate to have people like this one after everyone complained about Aiden Pearce.
So far, Watch Doggos 2 is like the rest of the Ubisoft games that have come out in the last few years: creatively bankrupt, full of corny populist humour but still somewhat fun to play so it's easy to somewhat forgive their titles being the video game version of fast food. I have no idea why they decided to rework the control scheme to something worse though, probably another attempt at making the game feel different since everyone complains about Ubisoft open world titles these days.

• Locked thread