Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Not sure if you were really asking but the blue dragon bird wasn't different than the others. Just that one escaped and grew huge because it had the space to do so. Why they don't grow huge in all the space in the briefcase... magic!

The briefcase is only a few inches wide.

How could it possibly grow huge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder what the titling convention will be for this franchise. Will they stick with Fantastic Beasts and Blank to Blank Them? Nah, I doubt they're going to keep up the zoological theme for all 5 films.

Maybe just (Adjective) (Nouns) and (Interrogative Adverb) to (Verb) Them. The final movie could be something like Dark Wizards and How to Stop Them.

Or maybe they'll just go with unique phrase titles for each one, kinda like A Fistful of Dollars/For A Few Dollars More/The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I wonder what the titling convention will be for this franchise. Will they stick with Fantastic Beasts and Blank to Blank Them? Nah, I doubt they're going to keep up the zoological theme for all 5 films.

Maybe just (Adjective) (Nouns) and (Interrogative Adverb) to (Verb) Them. The final movie could be something like Dark Wizards and How to Stop Them.

Or maybe they'll just go with unique phrase titles for each one, kinda like A Fistful of Dollars/For A Few Dollars More/The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I would bet that at least one is titled The Tales of Beedle the Bard and involves Grindlewald and Hollows-hunting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

That's something I would have loved and what I was expecting but that doesn't really make for a movie. There has to be some central issue or threat. Otherwise it would be a series of vignettes about Newt catching creatures.

I feel like it could have been shifted more in that direction without too much effort. Having the Wizard Government going after Newt because his animals got loose and them chasing him and his friends to arrest him while he tried to get his animals back before the MACUSA aurors find and kill them could still drive a big chunk of the movie. Even keep Graves/Grindelwald in it as someone looking to find a fantastic beast that would be useful to his magical Nazi plans (as he was trying to do with the Obscurus in Newt's suitcase in the actual film).

At the least, the New Salem and Jon Voight Family stuff could have been trimmed relatively easily. Those definitely dragged the most for me, even though I liked Ezra Miller's performance, especially his scene with Colin Farrell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

I would bet that at least one is titled The Tales of Beedle the Bard and involves Grindlewald and Hollows-hunting.

Yeah they're definitely going to work in Quidditch Through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard (though that one was already extensively covered by the HP series so I dunno). Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

I'm surprised they didn't slap a 'Wizarding World' prefix or something on this one to identify the series, because they're definitely not calling them all Fantastic Beasts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah they're definitely going to work in Quidditch Through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard (though that one was already extensively covered by the HP series so I dunno). Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

I'm surprised they didn't slap a 'Wizarding World' prefix or something on this one to identify the series, because they're definitely not calling them all Fantastic Beasts.

"Nazi Wizards and Where to Find them"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Tunicate posted:

I know you're reading this, History Channel...

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Pryce posted:

Also, JKR confirmed the final movie will take place in 1945:
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/800647497848934400

I had heard that the series will end with the beginning of Voldemort's uprising, which I had assumed would have been in the 70s?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Tunicate posted:

"Fascistic Boasts and How to Break them"

On which note, the idea that people become fascists because they want to boast about how much better they are than everyone else is... not completely wrong, but it's some way from getting to the heart of things. I think this franchise is going to find itself in a bind if a lot of people acquire a more intimate understanding of the concept.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 23, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

greententacle posted:

I had heard that the series will end with the beginning of Voldemort's uprising, which I had assumed would have been in the 70s?

1945 is around when Voldemort starts organizing the Death Eaters and gets serious about the business of making Horcruxes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This timeline is all kinds of funky. It doesn't feel this drawn out but maybe that is because I only ever watched the movies. It's the "problem" with the Lord of the Rings movies. Aren't the books spread out over years? Where as in the movie it feels like an adventure that takes a few weeks.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

ImpAtom posted:

I'd love to see a series of animated shorts adapting each of the tales if they did it the same way as The Tale of the Three Brothers in the movies.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

ImpAtom posted:

The sheer amount of Johnny Depp idiocy in this would be unbearable, running around like Jack Sparrow whilst being chased by goblins, the elderly wand held above his head. So they will definitely do it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Graves isn't necessarily dead right? Like Grindlewald might have been so super magic he didn't need it but that was probably some polyjuice potion nonsense.

Just because Colin Farrell being a super pissed off wizard cop not playing by the rules on a rip-roaring rampage of revenge, honestly that could carry a movie or two.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

New York City MACUSA detective Ray Velcoro-Graves (Colin Farrell) is seeking custody of his son, who may be a product of his ex-wife's rape, years before. Through flashback, Ray is shown meeting Voldemort at a bar, where The Dark Lord gives him the name of his wife's rapist. Velcoro-Graves is now burned out and unhinged, but his mustache game is strong.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 24, 2016

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Detective Velcoro-Graves encounters a young James Potter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6HUKOZwKs

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I saw this movie on monday so it isn't super fresh in my head but I do have a question that I just thought of and it's bugging me...

Is there any point to the jon voight newspaper magnate storyline? are they trying to set something up for the sequel or something? Because as far as I can remember if those characters hadn't been around it wouldn't have changed a drat thing in this movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zimbomonkey posted:

I saw this movie on monday so it isn't super fresh in my head but I do have a question that I just thought of and it's bugging me...

Is there any point to the jon voight newspaper magnate storyline? are they trying to set something up for the sequel or something? Because as far as I can remember if those characters hadn't been around it wouldn't have changed a drat thing in this movie.

I think they may have just been used to illustrate the general public's lack of awareness of the situation...and also that...gently caress it, I don't know.

This movie was all over the place. It had pretty good spectacle, but just some weird as gently caress storylines and assumptions. I thought Colin Farrell's character was pretty good, and think it's sad that all of a sudden Johnny Depp's the villain - When Colin's character was just starting to get a presence.

And the ending where the wizards just casually restore the destroyed city blocks is just so weird. Another movie where Literally, It Was All A Dream. :shrug:

I don't think I'll be back for the next ones. I'll check them out on streaming down the line or something, where I won't have to invest anything. There're going to be FIVE of them :psyduck:

A solid bland summer blockbuster mixed in with...I don't know, some awkward human interaction.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 25, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I got to see this today with family and I thought it had some really strong points . The film itself is really queer as well which is great! Overall was just disappointed with Ugh Johny Depp when Colin Ferrel is such a amazing actor and so much better in every respect. Also the ending was just flying smoke destroys things. So I didn't think it was interesting. However, I did like that Rowling took the chance to have the hero be unable to save the boy which I thought was a really interesting way to go with the film. Very dark.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't know, I thought the smoke monster looked pretty cool.
Did you want another ring-wraith or like a leaping werewolf? I thought it was fine, and looked fine, and had enough moving parts beneath the cloud smoke that it maintained an interest when it was stationary.

I didn't really see the queer aspect of the villain and the symbolic character. It seemed like they had an abusive father son relationship. Like, I figured his mom was physically abusive, and the bad wizard was emotionally manipulative/abusive. When the bad wizard gives him the necklace and hugs him, I saw that as mental manipulation through contact and not him displaying, you know, physical sexual stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't know, I thought the smoke monster looked pretty cool.
Did you want another ring-wraith or like a leaping werewolf? I thought it was fine, and looked fine, and had enough moving parts beneath the cloud smoke that it maintained an interest when it was stationary.

I didn't really see the queer aspect of the villain and the symbolic character. It seemed like they had an abusive father son relationship. Like, I figured his mom was physically abusive, and the bad wizard was emotionally manipulative/abusive. When the bad wizard gives him the necklace and hugs him, I saw that as mental manipulation through contact and not him displaying, you know, physical sexual stuff.

I guess this will just be a whole block of spoiler but Well first off Grinwalds relationship with the boy is most certainly not a "fatherly" relationship he constantly touches him through out the film especially when they're talking at certain points. He comforts him physically there is a certain almost sexual undertone to the way he treats him. The always speak closely and intimately with each other. Then the entire plot of the movie is about how suppressing an integral part of your very nature that you are born with is harmful. I mean I don't think it could be drawn out any clearer that there is a obvious analogy for repression of homosexuality especially with the religious overtones of the film. The Wizarding world in a way could even represent a queer world that is hidden from "straights" .

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

However, I did like that Rowling took the chance to have the hero be unable to save the boy which I thought was a really interesting way to go with the film. Very dark.

the kid survived

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tunicate posted:

the kid survived

I am pretty sure he did not and was in fact murdered by the Ministry people they blew him up with white balls of light

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I am pretty sure he did not and was in fact murdered by the Ministry people they blew him up with white balls of light

Apparently the screenplay includes an explicit hint he survived and they originally intended to film a scene making it clear that was the intent. So despite it seeming like he clearly died he apparently survived for the sequels.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently the screenplay includes an explicit hint he survived and they originally intended to film a scene making it clear that was the intent. So despite it seeming like he clearly died he apparently survived for the sequels.

when the smoke is disappating after the MCUSA goons blow it up, Newt notices that something rises out of it, but then it becomes time to defeat Grindewald and memory wipe the No-Maj citizens, so it's not lingered on, but that is apparently what's left of the more explicit hint that Creedence will be back

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 25, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm surprised by how many people missed the Obscurus escaping. I guess it gets overshadowed by the Grindelwald reveal that immediately follows it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Saw this movie again (family all went Wednesday before Thanksgiving) and the 2nd viewing really harmed it. The first half of the movie felt completely disjointed and jarring at times, the beasts were completely secondary to the main arc of the film, and I assume, what the pentalogy (why?) will be.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well it was also a lot smaller, so you wonder how much of him survived

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't see why a wisp surviving means he'll be back.

The rest of the series won't even be based in America there will be very few connections beyond Grindy and maybe Newt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm surprised by how many people missed the Obscurus escaping. I guess it gets overshadowed by the Grindelwald reveal that immediately follows it.

The scene read to me as "Newt watching the sad remains of the defeat 'monster' drift away on the wind. It never honestly occurred to me it was supposed to be a hint he escaped alive.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

greententacle posted:

I kind of wish they had just done it like Harry Potter, only with Tom Riddle at Hogwarts terrorizing people for 6 or 7 years. You could even reuse a title or two, like 'Tom Riddle and the Chamber of Secrets'.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

This timeline is all kinds of funky. It doesn't feel this drawn out but maybe that is because I only ever watched the movies. It's the "problem" with the Lord of the Rings movies. Aren't the books spread out over years? Where as in the movie it feels like an adventure that takes a few weeks.

The beginning of fellowship is scrunched in the movies but from Rivendell to destroying the ring can't be even a year.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just found this. :3:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/7304/what-is-the-timeline-for-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy

http://lotrproject.com/timedistance/

quote:

The short answer is roughly 20 years. The passing of the ring from Bilbo to Frodo takes place far in advance of most of the story. Most of the action happens over the course of 3 years.

Wow. Long time.

quote:

I'm not sure if one of my edits missed approval, but I could swear I had all four timeline images copied here. EDIT: Oh, it seems everything prior to 3018 is missing.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 25, 2016

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Drifter posted:

I think they may have just been used to illustrate the general public's lack of awareness of the situation...and also that...gently caress it, I don't know.

I don't remember any of their names, but I thought that there was going to be something interesting there. Like, the politics son was actually a Wizard born to Muggles/No-Majs which is why he wasn't interested at all in listening to the New Salemers. And why newspaper son is so set on proving they're evil to the dad. That could have set up a nice rivalry, like Petunia/Lily in the books. But then nope, I guess he dies, the dad is upset for a minute, and I don't even remember what happened to the other son.

If No-Majs and Wizards aren't allowed to mingle what happens to wizards born to regular folk? Like if Hermione was born in 1920s America? Does MACUSA steal the kid and Obliviate everyone that knew about the baby?

WIZARD AMERICA IS hosed UP.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

MorgaineDax posted:

If No-Majs and Wizards aren't allowed to mingle what happens to wizards born to regular folk? Like if Hermione was born in 1920s America? Does MACUSA steal the kid and Obliviate everyone that knew about the baby?

WIZARD AMERICA IS hosed UP.

The Spanish flu epidemic was a cover.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
You people want to be unhappy and will find any excuse for it

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zeris posted:

You people want to be unhappy and will find any excuse for it

Nah, if I want to be unhappy, I'll go see this movie again. It's a surefire cure for enjoyment.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Samuel Clemens posted:

I suspected that the black wisp floating away could hint at Credence being still alive, but all the wizards in the room presumably saw the exact same thing the audience did and they were all like "Welp it's dead now. Good job everyone!" and Grindelwald was like "Uggh such a waste~" instead of "There's still a chance to save it!" so *shrug*

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The big lesson of this film (and any Harry Potter film, really) is that Wizards are incredibly incompetent at everything they do, and the only reason they're still around is that every now and then a group of heroes manages to save them from themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Little Boy and Fat Man were the nicknames of some yet unseen magical beasts. Newt ended WW2.

Newt apparently trained dragons for use in World War 1. Film should've opened with Newt having a flashback to committing war crimes from dragonback and being really hosed up by it.

Anyway I enjoyed it but I'll enjoy the inevitable fan edit that fixes the pacing more.

• Locked thread