Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED, please continue to use this thread for discussion until (and after!) the deadline!

Back for year three! Welcome the SAS MLB Hall of Fame balloting thread. Before we get started, let's take a look at our class from last year:

Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines

They join the inaugural class of 2015

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Mike Piazza
John Smoltz
Larry Walker

Good job, guys

So what is the SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot? Well, every year the BWAA votes on the MLB Hall of Fame, and every year we watch as they inevitably gently caress it up. With all the talk, I'd like to see who we would put into the hall. I'm going to keep track of this through multiple years (so far so good!), so when we induct players and the writers don't, they won't appear on the next ballot (and vice versa). I also changed the rules a bit, because the BBWA is dumb.

A player must be on at least 75% of ballots cast to qualify for the SAS MLB Hall of Fame
There is no limitation on players you can vote for. You want to vote for 12 guys? Go for it. Only three are deserving? Then only vote for them.
Because of this, the bar for entry has been raised, and players will fall off the ballot if they fail to reach a certain percentage, based on how many years they've been on the ballot.
- First year: 25%
- Second year: 50%
- Third year: 75% - three strikes and you're out

It's a pretty simple system so the rules aren't difficult! Last year had five inductees, six who didn't make it but moved on to this year, and thirteen who fell off. What? You say 24 players seems like a small ballot? That's what happens when you don't have dumb rules that cause a bunch of players to sit in limbo forever! Here is the list of 2017 hopefuls:

Danys Baez
Casey Blake
Pat Burrell
Orlando Cabrera
Mike Cameron
J.D. Drew
Jim Edmonds
Vladimir Guerrero
Carlos Guillen
Trevor Hoffman
Derrek Lee
Julio Lugo
Melvin Mora
Magglio Ordonez
Jorge Posada
Manny Ramirez
Edgar Rentaria
Arthur Rhodes
Ivan Rodriguez
Aaron Rowand
Freddy Sanchez
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Matt Stairs
Alan Trammell
Jason Varitek
Javier Vazquez
Billy Wagner
Tim Wakefield

Also this year I've added two BONUS QUESTIONS. They are both a simple yes or no answer, and both will be a one time shot at getting the required 75% to get into our hall.

Should Pete Rose be in the SAS Baseball Hall of Fame? (y/n)

Should "Shoeless" Joe Jackson be in the SAS Baseball Hall of Fame? (y/n)

Voting is absolutely subjective, but feel free to post about why you feel guys should or should not be hall of famers in here. This year I'm posting this thread a bit early to allow for discussion before voting. The Ballot will open on December First (hopefully at midnight est but otherwise it will be in the morning if I need to get to bed early for work), and you will have until 11:59pm EST on December 30th to vote. I plan on revealing the results, as well as all the ballots, on New Year's Day.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Voting for Curt Schilling is going to physically cause me pain.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My immediate thought was to find out if I could use all of my votes for Moose, but I see SAS already did the right thing on that count! (CATCH THE gently caress UP BBWAA!)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just want to get it out there that Jim Edmonds was Really loving Good and you should vote for him.

Look at that 12 year stretch :eyepop:

Even if you think he was average defensively, putting up that kind of offense as an average defensive center fielder is pretty awesome.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

IcePhoenix posted:

I just want to get it out there that Jim Edmonds was Really loving Good and you should vote for him.

Look at that 12 year stretch :eyepop:

Even if you think he was average defensively, putting up that kind of offense as an average defensive center fielder is pretty awesome.

This man speaks the truth and gently caress you all for not voting Jimmy Ballgame last year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

While were' statsing it up in this thread...

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:911: DO THE RIGHT THING, SAS :911:

Shoeless Joe can gently caress off forever, though

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

Voting for Curt Schilling is going to physically cause me pain.

I said it last year, I'll say it this year. Curt Schilling is scum and I refuse to vote for him.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

vote for Jorge Posada, because the BBWAA sure won't

the guy hit .279/.380/.484 over a 12 season peak. he did this as a catcher (!) and was a lineup anchor for four title teams, he deserves a spot (Pudge put up similar stats and he's a lock, for some reason :ssh:)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

(Pudge put up similar stats and he's a lock, for some reason :ssh:)

Probably the career 46% CS compared to 28% for Posada

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, I'm a huge yankees homer and Pudge is lightyears better than Jorge and I love Jorge to death.

That being said, Jorge is totally a HoFer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jorge Posada's candidacy will always be damaged in my eyes by the time I went to a Twins-Yankees game where I saw someone wearing a shirt that said "Jorge Posada is a Little Bitch," and thus from that day forward he was always Jorge "Little Bitch" Posada to my group of friends.

Like, could you vote for someone who's nickname was "Little Bitch"? This is one of many factors that I have to struggle with when deciding if I should vote for him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge yankees homer and Pudge is lightyears better than Jorge and I love Jorge to death.

That being said, Jorge is totally a HoFer.

Both were amazing players. Pudge was a superior catcher.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

vote for Jorge Posada, because the BBWAA sure won't

the guy hit .279/.380/.484 over a 12 season peak. he did this as a catcher (!) and was a lineup anchor for four title teams, he deserves a spot (Pudge put up similar stats and he's a lock, for some reason :ssh:)

code:
Career games at C:
Jorge Posada: 1574
Ivan Rodriguez: 2427
Jorge "Bean Head" Posada had 65% of Pudge's career and traded the ability to be a good catcher in exchange for taking more walks. No Bean Head For Hall Of Fame :colbert:

edit: oops my numbers were off

Reformed Pissboy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 22, 2016

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
:ssh: You can vote for Posada and Rodriguez :ssh:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Grant Brisbee pointed out that like, half the lineup of the first EYBS world series team is on the ballot this year. There's some good Giants on that list, and Aaron Rowand is on it, too.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Grant Brisbee pointed out that like, half the lineup of the first EYBS world series team is on the ballot this year. There's some good Giants on that list, and Aaron Rowand is on it, too.

Some old Cardinal became chair of the Veteran's Committee and dedicated his time in that post to cronyism/getting as many of his old teammates into the Hall of Fame via the V.C. as possible. Hence there are a glut of marginal Hall of Famers from the Cardinals (and Giants, who he also played with).

[Had to look it up. It's Frankie Frisch. Apologies to Red Schoendienst, who I initially (mis)remembered as the guy and whose name I never could've spelled correctly without looking it up.]

Basically, what I'm saying is, just because those Founding Fathers Of EYBS probably don't seem like Hall Of Famers doesn't mean they can't be Hall Of Famers. :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

:ssh: You can vote for Posada and Rodriguez :ssh:

While true, the argument being made was that Posada put up the same/similar stats to Pudge and thus should be an easy vote like Pudge is, so people are listing all the reasons that's a flawed argument.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mister Perky posted:

Some old Cardinal became chair of the Veteran's Committee and dedicated his time in that post to cronyism/getting as many of his old teammates into the Hall of Fame via the V.C. as possible. Hence there are a glut of marginal Hall of Famers from the Cardinals (and Giants, who he also played with).

[Had to look it up. It's Frankie Frisch. Apologies to Red Schoendienst, who I initially (mis)remembered as the guy and whose name I never could've spelled correctly without looking it up.]

Basically, what I'm saying is, just because those Founding Fathers Of EYBS probably don't seem like Hall Of Famers doesn't mean they can't be Hall Of Famers. :getin:

Bob Gibson needs to take over the VC so that Curt Flood can finally get his due. :colbert:

Speaking of, would an SAS Veterans Committee vote be impossible to manage logistically?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Not impossible but I'm sure not doing it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Not impossible but I'm sure not doing it.

Goon :effort: project: Re-vote for the entire HoF by decades.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Goon :effort: project: Re-vote for the entire HoF by decades.

That got brought up in the first year, actually. Making the ballot would be easy but it would be a pain in the rear end to vote on. I'd be shocked if I even got 25 serious votes.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

That got brought up in the first year, actually. Making the ballot would be easy but it would be a pain in the rear end to vote on. I'd be shocked if I even got 25 serious votes.

Yeah, it would almost have to start with Ted Williams-era players because who the gently caress understands how baseball worked pre-1935?

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Um, you seem to have missed MATT STAIRS off your list of eligible players this year.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

dsriggs posted:

:911: DO THE RIGHT THING, SAS :911:

Shoeless Joe can gently caress off forever, though

Double gently caress Pete Rose.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Quasimango posted:

Um, you seem to have missed MATT STAIRS off your list of eligible players this year.

take it up with baseball-reference

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

There's still some teams he didn't play for so I'm sure he'll be coming out of retirement anyway.

But here's an actual ballot:
http://i.imgur.com/9AbCtY5.jpg

34 names.

Per wiki, that BR list isn't even close to complete.

Players who were eligible for the first time who were not included on the ballot were: Josh Bard, Danys Báez, Milton Bradley, Russell Branyan, Juan Castro, Ramon Castro, Alex Cora, Craig Counsell, Jack Cust, Doug Davis, Adam Everett, Ryan Franklin, Ross Gload, Wes Helms, Mark Hendrickson, Scott Linebrink, Felipe Lopez, Julio Lugo, Jason Michaels, Trever Miller, Corey Patterson, Joel Pineiro, Dennys Reyes, Aaron Rowand, Marcus Thames, Brett Tomko, Javier Vázquez, and Chris Woodward.

It's like a who's who of players that you haven't thought about in years.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Craig Counsell is first ballot in the batting stance hall of fame

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

BBRef filters the list by their Hall of Fame Monitor stat, so Stairs and Casey Blake are missing from it but are on the official ballot!

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Thibs' tracker for the 2017 actual/lame Hall vote is live, and already Pudge Rodriguez is the only guy at 100%.

At 4 ballots in.

bit.ly/bbhof2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

Thibs' tracker for the 2017 actual/lame Hall vote is live, and already Pudge Rodriguez is the only guy at 100%.

At 4 ballots in.

bit.ly/bbhof2017

Stop the voting right now. A class of Bagwell, Bonds, Clemens, Raines, Edgar and Pudge would be awesome. With Lee Smith and Hoffman at the edge of the stage wondering how in the Hell it happened.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Vlad Guerrero should be in the HOF, because of reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29G5pJPrVo

And because it was fun watching swing and hit at balls thrown anywhere and everywhere.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm not sure I think Vlad should actually be in (or at least actually get votes on the current real ballot) but I'd be really happy if he was. He's the opposite of Schilling, who I would vote for but really enjoy watching fall short every year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MourningView posted:

I'm not sure I think Vlad should actually be in (or at least actually get votes on the current real ballot) but I'd be really happy if he was. He's the opposite of Schilling, who I would vote for but really enjoy watching fall short every year.

The thing I keep coming back to on Vlad was he was an excellent hitter. He has the same career OPS+ as Gary Sheffield, who I know is quite popular around here. Vlad had a better career OPS+ than any currently playing right fielder except Stanton (anecdotal sample, I know...). Al Kaline had a 138 OPS+ through his first 16 seasons.

Vlad's a tougher choice than I thought. The real world HoF crime is going to be Hoffman getting in because saves but not Billy Wagner, who had a better career by rate stats but wasn't a closer.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 28, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

At 4 ballots in.

bit.ly/bbhof2017

Hey why do they bother sending Jim Baumbach a ballot?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

The thing I keep coming back to on Vlad was he was an excellent hitter. He has the same career OPS+ as Gary Sheffield, who I know is quite popular around here. Vlad had a better career OPS+ than any currently playing right fielder except Stanton (anecdotal sample, I know...). Al Kaline had a 138 OPS+ through his first 16 seasons.

Vlad's a tougher choice than I thought. The real world HoF crime is going to be Hoffman getting in because saves but not Billy Wagner, who had a better career by rate stats but wasn't a closer.

Wagner was a closer what are you talking about. He just got fewer opportunities. And yeah, he absolutely should be in more than Hoffman, if you were only going to pick one.

Also the thing that puts Vlad from a "hmmm..." to a "hell yeah" for me is his defense. Which maybe wasn't the best but oh my god that arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzM02BgL-k

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The chances that Vlad is actually going to be shut out for all 10 years are really low, IMO.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The chances that Vlad is actually going to be shut out for all 10 years are really low, IMO.

I worry about the conflict between the writers that will ignore the PED allegations against players and keep voting for them while their ballots fill up. It's going to start making it tough for guys who might get in like Vlad but will slip off their ballots while they continue to vote for players whose eligibility drag on thanks to anti-PED voters. There are plenty of guys like Edgar and Vlad who I think deserve an up-or-down vote and might not get it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

tadashi posted:

I worry about the conflict between the writers that will ignore the PED allegations against players and keep voting for them while their ballots fill up. It's going to start making it tough for guys who might get in like Vlad but will slip off their ballots while they continue to vote for players whose eligibility drag on thanks to anti-PED voters. There are plenty of guys like Edgar and Vlad who I think deserve an up-or-down vote and might not get it.
Bonds and Clemens are on their 5th years on the ballot. If they don't get in they're going to fall off before Vladdy does. McGwire is gone, Palmeiro is long gone and Sosa isn't actually eating a lot of votes. It's really Manny and, later, A-Rod that would actually block him. I'm also not worried about the guys who are putting on 10 names (or even 7, 8 or 9) leaving him out continuously. If Guerrero's not getting in it's not because too many voters have 10 names ahead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

But here's an actual ballot:
http://i.imgur.com/9AbCtY5.jpg

34 names.

Some of these players we voted in/dropped off already so it's never going to match up completely.

But I added Casey Blake and Matt Stairs so you can get your comedy voting on.

At 4 ballots in.

bit.ly/bbhof2017

Four ballots in and there's nobody at 100% anymore lol. But Schilling has already lost two votes so that's cool.

• Locked thread