Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
What I've played of the demo is fun, though I've been getting a really bad issue where performance spikes and takes up 100% of my processor power and the game freezes for 5-10 seconds. This is regardless of graphics quality. It appears to be AI related.

I posted this on their tech support forum and their QA teams kmow of the issue and acknowledged as much. I just hope they get it ironed out before December 9th, since no joke, this is the game I've been most excited about this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
It is very industrial in appearance. They have a lot of nice environmental story telling if you look. You see dead bodies in places with Las guns next to them. Around the engine room are dead mechanicus slumped on stairs.

One thing it is missing is banter between the characters. That wad one thing vermin tide did well, and even Space Marine. Space Marine did a good job with the banter between marines from the same chapter, which is missing here in multiplayer. Even things like shouting challenges to the xenos or prayers to the emperor can help.

The gun play is good and solid. The melee is mostly for "oh poo poo I have to reload " moments. My biggest complaint, at least in the demo map is there are a lot of corridors, and it is near impossible to shoot past a fellow terminator, meaning whomever is in front is doing the killing while those behind twiddle their thumbs, heal the guy in the lead, or maybe watch the back.

But once you get to those open areas with an assault cannon and three storm bolters going, boy is it fun.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

To be fair, I have absolutely no idea on how they would be able to write good banter for Space Marines. It would be possible with Imperial Guard or Orks, maybe, but then it's not Space Hulk.

Like I said, they could take a queue from Space Marine and have marines with different personalities. Though the one problem is that you can have more than one of each class of marine.

Just hearing something, like even yelling "for the Lion!" Or audio queues like, "I hear a broodlord" would be better than clomping around in silence.

I'm talking strictly multiplayer. I saw their 17 minutes of campaign footage and they need to tone it down there.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

ravinghobo posted:

Does it seem like this will go the same way as Vermintide and eventually come to the Xbox One?

It seems the status of if it's pc only or not has changed every time some progress is made in this game, and it would be really nice to play it.

It tickles the long dormant part of my brain that enjoyed Vengeance of the Blood Angels far too much.

Their main website has been saying for a while "coming ton consoles in 2017" so I would say your chances are good.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Does this game have psychic phenomena when you do your Librarian-stuff? Perils of the Warp?

Not the the Librarian that I saw. I think the hybrid psykers can blow up when killed, though I cannot confirm.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Game is delayed until next Wednesday the the 14th so they can work on more bugs.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Here, I'll actually post a link to their announcement.

I loved EYE so much that these folks have enough goodwill built up that I'm fine with it. If you take them at their word they've already done a lot of optimization for the performance issues.

I'd rather a company come clean like this and delay over poo poo like Batman Arkham Knight or Dishonored 2 happening.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
They're confident enough in their release date that they did a Launch Trailer for Wednesday.. The stuff in the first like 30 seconds is new, but the rest of it comes from their better "Rise of the Terminators Trailer from last year.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Digirat posted:

Technical concerns are definitely valid and I think a lot of us are worried about that. Shadow warrior 2 is the only game I've played recently that looked good and also wasn't a technical mess. It's getting really bad in general. Almost no one seems to give a poo poo about optimization anymore.

I think a lot of that is because PC seems to be an afterthought these days with larger publishers where the game is primarily coded for consoles and shipped out to a third party to be ported over. This isn't every case, since many big name publishers have great optimization too. It is just the reality of the marketplace; there are more consoles than gaming rigs, so you go where the market is.

Shadow Warrior 2 (which I loving loved) was made by a smaller team who was focused on PC. That is the same with deathwing here. Part of it is I think streum on isn't as good at programing as others.

But drat they got great art direction.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Percelus posted:

anyone else getting lag spikes that freeze your screen for like 5-10 seconds at a time playing this?

Don't say that, that was literally my only problem in the beta and made the game near unplayable. If they didn't fix that in their "performance tweaks" I'll probably cry.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Check out "Codex Mode". Sounds like that works around the leveling each match thing.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Deakul posted:

These devs obviously care about the game so I think I might actually stick around for the long haul and see how they handle post-release support.

Yeah, if you played E.Y.E. it is more than clear that 40k was a big influence on them. This likely was a passion project for this team, more so than other 40k game developers.

Passion might not translate to aptitude at game development, but I think you're right that they will stick with it and try their best, assuming Focus Home Interactive lets them.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
And getting the same random 100% of CPU using spikes that I got in the beta, even on lowest graphics settings. It is really loving aggravating since I will have my performance monitor open on my other screen, it is is usually at 50-60% CPU then suddenly 100% and a 5 second freeze.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Huh, one of my friends who knows more about hardware than I said he'd encountered similar issues in other games and it has to deal with developers not knowing how to properly use hyper threading. He suggested I set my affinity for like two of my cores instead of all 4, and sure as poo poo, she's been running smooth.

:iiam:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

MisterBibs posted:

- I'm getting random 5-second freezes, what would be the easiest way to prevent this? Kinda generic question, I get it, but I don't keep up with tech.

This might have to do with a hyper-threading issue I also have with my i5. Once the game is launched, open your task manager, go to "processes' find the space hulk deathwing process (there might be two, so do this to both) Right click on it, select "affinity", and make sure all of your cores are not selected. I can get along fine with having only three selected, but if you keep getting those freezes, then try only selecting two.

It is a weird rear end bug, but I got the solution from a friend of mine who said Startcraft 2 did the same thing for him.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

MysteriousStranger posted:

i5's don't have hyper threading... but yeah, on i7's hyperthreading has always caused problems with some games.

All i know is friend with more hardware knowledge than me wot told me to try this and it worked. Game went from 5-10 second freezes nearly every minute to running smooth and fine. So even if the game doesn't have hyper-light-clothing or whatever, it still didn't like playing with all four of my cores.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

gently caress the game gets so good once you unlock done stuff. Mission 5 and teleporting around with the thunder hammer or chucking plasma cannon fire everywhere is so good.

Hellfire is probably the most satisfying gun so far. That delayed explosion :dance:

My one peeve is we don't get the hellfire in multiplayer. Screw the flamer, I'll take the hellfire any day.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Arghy posted:

Holy gently caress the bridge of the rogue trader ship was hard as hell--is there a way beyond having to use a ton of psy gates to change everyones load out? I thought about me going thunder hammer+2 ranged guys but i just don't trust either of them enough and i figured i'd get slaughtered. I loving loved the pantry haha.

Yeah, that was the most recent chapter I completed and that part on the bridge is the only part I died multiple times doing so far.

I finally beat it with sheer luck and using a psy gate part way through since the apothecary kept getting overwhelmed and dying.

I think so far that vessel is my favorite. The little surprise in the cargo hold was neat.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Arghy posted:

I had a crash midway through so i'm just going to restart and try mace of absolution with 2 storm botlers.

The biggest problem is that one of your AI is doing the hack, and so it is only you and one AI. i did okay each time until the Scythe strain would show up about half way through. I managed it by having the apothecary use shield and hammer, while I used the spear of Caliban and spammed that first fire skill. I nearly died so I had to gate out at 75% just to heal, and then came back.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Speaking of, can anyone confirm how useful the shield is in either single player or multiplayer? Like, if you have the shield up blocking does it block incoming ranged attacks as well? Do you have to time the blocks or something? They do a really bad job explaining how melee works.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I finally beat the game earlier today. Kind of a shame that they recycle old maps for the last two missions (8 and 9) and the end is very underwhelming, but overall a fun game.

I would really like to try mission 8 co-op some day, i imagine it would be fun.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Listen for the whispers. They tell you that a relic is nearby, they are also directional so you can home in on them a bit easier.

Overall the audio work in the game is superb. Positional audio queues are really good, and the atmospheric audio tracks are also really good :D

This basically. I didn't get any relics the first mission because I didn't know about the audio thing. I got all the relics missions 2-7 though. Once I got to eight and nine and they were repeat levels I was under no real drive to dig them out. However, the few relics in missions 8 and 9 I picked up along the way were in the same places they were the first time through those maps, so I guess that would make it easier.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

I hope the devs didn't abandon this :(

If they managed to add in all the weapons into MP, add in some kind of random map generator/horde mode setting I'd be really happy.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Saw that last night. Put a big smile on my face. Looking forward to getting back into some purging when the beta patch hits. The game is a lot of fun with friends on voice comms + hardest difficulty.

Yeah, most of my friends were not taken by the game. And I spend the vast majority of my time on the forums among a sub-group that predominately hangs out in Traditional Games playing Post by Post games from Fantasy Flight's now defunct Warhammer 40k tabletop RPG series.

You'd have thought we'd all have loved it, but the weak campaign story and troublesome AI killed most of their desire to do it multiplayer.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

xthetenth posted:

Out of curiosity, I'm running a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and I'd love to see other people's games in action to get a feel for how other people do things, do you have links?

The only active dark heresy 2 games are roll20/discord ones. We've got a few Black Crusade games (two of which are mine, one of which has been going for almost 4 years), a Deathwatch, a dark heresy 1.0 and a rogue trader one. I'll provide links this evening when I'm not on mobile.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

Cool, now to somehow convince the poor bastards on my friend's list with this game to install again.

Yeah. I burned a lot of bridges with friends (rabid 40k fans none the less) when I talked a bunch of them into buying this game around launch and they were Horribly disappointed. I've been trying to talk some of them into giving it another try now that it is patched, but not much luck.

An important lesson that your game has to be near right at launch, because often times you only get one shot and first impressions matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
When I fired it up yesterday it was certainly running better than at launch. The game had this weird hyperthreading issue with my processor where I had to set core affinity to all but one core each time it launched or else it would grind to a crawl, so that's good. It ran just fine.

But holy poo poo is the player base dead. There were maybe 10 games total, between codex and non-codex rules, and most of those were password protected private games. So a whole like, 40 people playing at once.

• Locked thread