Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
This one is essentially feature complete, including the big one: JTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I nearly got upset to see you talk that way about the best MMO ever released, but then I realized the two are not mutually exclusive :v:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Just saw this, you underestimate the appeal of a live server with JTL. MassivelyOP/PCGamer will get wind of it, bam 4000 concurrent players.

The assumption that the low test pop was due to lack of interest also ignores that development took place in secret.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I'm the person who got mad that they added jedi as a base class because it's not era appropriate. :mad:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Yeah, atmospheric flight was in for the last few months. Once it was known the game was shutting down the devs naturally got some leeway to fool around, and as I recall it had been a bit of a pet side-project for one of the guys. It actually worked fairly well. I'm sad Stella Bellum won't be including it.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I remember a fair number of players complaining that they didn't feel like big important heroes, but for my friends and I that was the whole point.

You were just one of the dudes in the background, living your life in the most interesting period of the Star Wars universe.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I wish we had Rogue One when Star Wars Galaxies was developed. Would've given them some inspiration for polearm/teras kasi users and maybe they would have set it in that timeline (where they could've done cool force sensitive stuff on Jedha).

And most importantly, more cool outfit options.

Edit: also, Baze's heavy repeater would have been a dope Commando weapon.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 20, 2016

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Yeah, that's the test center.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Levarris posted:

I believe if SWG launched as the NGE, it would still be running today.

Other than the whole SWTOR thing.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Even with SWTOR I think it could have gone a couple more years had it been allowed. Most of the playerbase was pretty die-hard at that point; I suspect many of them would have played both, stayed exclusive to Galaxies, and/or tried SWTOR and gone back to SWG when it didn't scratch the same itch.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Drone posted:

Look at this objectively wrong opinion.

The one you hold? :smuggo:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

OT era is so good I can't understand why people considered no Clone Wars in Battlefront a bad thing.

Related: I would stab a hobo for a SWG2 with BF visuals.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

SWTOR isn't necessarily an objectively bad game, but it's an odd suggestion as a Galaxies replacement. The only similarities it shares with Galaxies are that both are MMOs, and their titles have the first two words in common.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Goast posted:

Gotta get that NGE junk loot for reverse engineering decorating somehow.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

There's Legends if you're into NGE.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Yeah, Legends is pretty much fully featured, plus some new content they've been adding, but it's post-NGE which a lot of people are not into.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

There's a significant number of bots, but there's a lot of actual players. It doesn't feel too different from live in terms of population.

And sadly it's the SWG community, which apparently never ages, so there's still no shortage of Sith weirdos running around wearing bat wings and glowing eyes, role-player tagged Jedi running around populated areas in robes with lightsabers out, and Imperial fanboys who are just a little too into the whole authoritarianism thing. But those were all present in live, so if anything it makes for a more authentic experience.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

The mad bastards are actually gonna do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHr5O1QAUM

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I'm about to give Legends a whirl. Should I bother with the "ILM" graphics alterations? I'm always skeptical of user-created upgrades like that.

I'm not a fan personally, but a lot of people swear by it.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Yeah, Legends is pretty much feature complete up to the last couple updates before live shut down. They're even finding ways to reintroduce TCG loot, and they've added some new Rogue One armors. I do miss the atmospheric flight that the live devs added for funsies right before the end.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Was it Stardust that collapsed before even going live because of the drama that resulted from the dude giving his friends a head start?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Ah, must have been a different one.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

bird food bathtub posted:

It was the crafting system getting hit with a tac nuke that did it for me. I really, really liked the old school resource system. Crafting from it was sort of meh, but I lived and died by that site that tracked server specific resources, current spawns, hunting across planets for good extractor drop sites and so on.

When it went away, so did I.

I don't recall the resource spawn system ever changing.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Burt posted:

So I think Resto is pretty dead at the momnet so I tried Legends and crikey, 1100 people online!
Made a couple of dudes to try out medic and BH but the first thing I noticed is the inflation! Went to buy a L90 gun and they started at like 100k and went up from there. Someone was spamming local with "capped" POB ships for 40 million!

How to I make money on Legends please? Either that or send Anyhoo or Burtressa any spare bazzilions you have laid about!

When you get your vet rewards the crate of free resources will sell for upwards of 7 million if you're patient, and the self powered harvester deed for 1-2 million. It makes for a nice initial cash infusion. If you're into space content always check the stats on your looted parts before selling to the Chassis Dealer, I randomly looted a part that sold for 160 million that way. The pinned messages in the pilot channel of the Legends discord have handy info on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I use a joystick :shrug:

It's not competitive for PVP, but if you're playing SWG for PVP you need more help than I can offer.