Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
"Here we go again." - C-3PO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
The best thing is it will be a fresh server with absolutely no infrastructure. We will be able to absolutely corner and dominate the entire server economy. I positively can't wait.

We should probably use the SA discord rather than CTS mumble this time around. It's much better, in practically every way.

In all seriousness though, Dinko if you don't want to be the "responsible guy" this time around, I'll do it. Considering I am not a developer for this project and plan to just play the game there won't be any conflict of interest for me now.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 4, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Phi230 posted:

You had but "its NGE"

not worth the disk space it would take up

The NGE really was good in its later years. You should give it a shot at least.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

I look foward to placing my house in a retarded spot in your town

On that note, what should the town be called this time? Afgoonistan again?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

2DCAT posted:

It actually wasn't too bad towards the end. I basically remember running around city invasions calling down death strikes from above and having fun. Sadly, with only 50 or so people probably playing, city invasions (literally the only PVP that was fun in the game) aren't really going to be a thing ever again.

Don't be too sure. It is looking like Stella Bellum is going to have a very healthy population.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Private Speech posted:

I've been doing a solo challenge (no trading with other players, no tipping other players, no bazaar) on Bloodfin for the last few days and it's a lot of fun. They have 15x XP and let you have 3 alts playing at the same time (and 15 altogether) so it's not too grindy and a lot of fun. Kinda feels like Salem or Haven and Hearth with much better combat, and you're not equipped in server best all the time. It's fun trying to find ways to build up quickly by yourself.

Yeah the server staff is weird, power-trippy and culty as gently caress, but you don't have to interact with them if you're just doing your own thing. And they took a lot of stuff from NGE and put it into pre-cu, which is neat.

Yeah, I think most of us that got together on Bloodfin once before will all join me in the general feeling of not wanting to touch that horrible server again with a 50 foot pole, and I was a developer there at the time we had Goon Squad running around there.

There are so many reasons why Bloodfin is literally the worst poo poo show in the entire emu scene but I won't get into that.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I made a discord channel, if you want to use it, cool.
https://discord.gg/e74mT

:getin: I have joined.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

At this point, I think it's fair to say that they either don't care about it or someone is protecting it from EA's lawyers. Galaxies-related projects have gotten plenty of publicity long-term and the only thing that got Galaxy in Turmoil (Battlefront III fan game) shut down was Electronic Arts. LucasFilm was completely open to working with them but EA has an exclusive contract on Star Wars games for the next ten years.

If anyone is going to shut this down, it's going to be Electronic Arts because "it's taking away from The Old Republic/the rumored Destiny: Star Wars edition project".

If they were going to take action at all, they would have done so already against the SWGEmu community. I highly doubt they will be coming gunning for this or any SWG related project.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Pretty sure that if you drop it and then pick it back up within 10 seconds, its fine.

The five second rule clearly applies here.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Private Speech posted:

So I know you said you don't want to get into why Bloodfin is complete poo poo, but I've been enjoying playing there and have been thinking about doing some dev work for them maybe (I'm reasonably competent with C++ and Lua). Could you elaborate on it a bit?

I know that they have a reputation for being huge drama queens, and some of the things I've seen there were pretty bad, but it's both genuinely enjoyable for me and there's a bunch of obvious places (like missing strings or w/e) that could be improved. Was Heat and/or Roses huge shithead about stuff that should be worked on? They seem like the type.

e: I did read the previous Bloodfin thread. Was more wondering what the development side of things is like.

Heat is a very old friend and a good person, his wife is not. So I limit my criticisms of Bloodfin out of respect to my friend.

As far as their development process, they don't work with a repository, they work in their own environments then manually copy and paste poo poo to their server. It's kind of a clusterfuck, or it was when I was there.

They have a tendency to not go through proper vetting and testing of new code before they push it to their server like they did last year when Heat made his pseudo implementation of JTL prompting a complete wipe of their database which he blamed on hackers.

They also love to borrow work from anywhere they can without giving proper credit to its original creators, unless that creator is me pretty much. As far as Roses being called a developer? That joke has never gotten old to me.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Private Speech posted:

Oh god that sounds a lot worse than I thought. How do you even have a multi-person project, or a project of an complexity for that matter, without a versioning repo? I guess you can send patches, but for projects the size of swg, just, ugh.

Hey if it's good enough for a many-million-dollar engineering company ... (god how I wish I was joking here :( )

Anyway I'll think about it I guess. I've had a look through the core3 source code and it seems fairly workable. I don't have a lot of side stuff going right now so it might be good for me to get involved with something again. Thanks for sharing though!

All depending on just what you want to do, I might entertain the notion of you taking a peek at some of my work to see if it's something you might want to get on board.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I support their pushing the launch back a week. Especially if it gives them an opportunity to plug a serious vulnerability that I know of in their server code.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

bad-yeti posted:

So is this the original with Creature handlers etc. Or the nerfed one where everyone became a Jedi?

Truth be told in the NGE, Jedi is pretty useless in organized PvP. Most people by the point the game got to the point where Stella Bellum is realized that.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Didn't they have atmospheric flight near the end of SWG too?

It won't be in initially, the leaked source is the state the game was in in April 2010. There is some content missing, such as the nightsister centric quest lines that were added that summer, the Rare Loot System, Atmospheric Flight, and a few other ships to fly in JTL such as the TIE Defender.

These things will be added down the road.

TerminalSaint posted:

I remember a fair number of players complaining that they didn't feel like big important heroes, but for my friends and I that was the whole point.

You were just one of the dudes in the background, living your life in the most interesting period of the Star Wars universe.

And most importantly, more cool outfit options.

Edit: also, Baze's heavy repeater would have been a dope Commando weapon.

You can still be some random dude in the background tbh. That all depends on you and whether you want to dive into roleplaying or not. As for cool outfit options, this point of the NGE has what's called the Appearance Tab. Which is a precursor to Transmogrification in WoW essentially. Don't like the look of that old composite armor (Example, but don't worry there are many other options to wear armor wise now anyway)? Appearance Tab can make it look like you are running around in just a pair of hot pants if that is what you want to look like in that big world out there and still have all the benefits of your fully socketed set of armor.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
On an alternative note...

Do we want to be Imperial or Rebel this time around?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

I've always leaned towards imperial because tie fighters make a cool noise and stormtroopers have a way cooler outfit than rebel soldiers who get cycling helmets and waist coats

Same.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

mistetravn posted:

Imp. Always imp, except for 1 alt maybe. Useful to have an opposite faction alt some times. Maybe name my reb alt Valosna........

Valosna... that name is familiar.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

randombattle posted:

I'm gonna be a jedi though cause they got laser swords and those are cool like when Darth Vader was in Rogue One and he had a laser sword and was like vroom vrewwm and killed dudes.

I'm sure I will have at least one Dark Jedi, I will probably play a BH for PvP though. Some point down the road after those of us who will be titans of industry have built a crafting empire anyway.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to start a crafter first and try to make all the shiny things. Figured if we can get a medium size house up off the bat with some somewhat decent crafting stations in and some storage, that can serve as City/Guild HQ until we can actually make the right buildings so we can give you official glorious leader status. Plus we can use those decent crafting stations to then get some mining industry going rather than having to hand sample everything

Absolutely and from the sound of things we will have plenty of character slots to get it done.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

bad-yeti posted:

Which version are you guys all playing?

NGE https://www.stellabellum.net

Goes live in 2 days.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

What Levarris said, its a fresh server starting up so if we can get enough goons in from the start then we can probably run things economically. And in PvP too as we will be spacerich as gently caress.
Does anyone more knowledgeable with NGE if crafter made gear is still what everyone is using, or did NGE make loot drop stuff more preferable?

The absolute best stuff is still made from crafters yes, the caveat is that they might come from one time use schematics that drop from PvE. But rather than magically drop an item, it drops the blueprint of said item so a crafter can take a swing at it, and then there is a chance you give it to a lovely crafter with lovely skills that can make you a lovely version of the best rifle in game for example.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

mistetravn posted:

The jewelry sets were pretty much a must have thing, but you still needed good augmented armor, clothing and weapons.

Absolutely, that and all of the quest reward items that give buffs that many overlook at first.

In regards to recruitment, I will be totally ok with any and all forms of pubbie recruitment scamming until we get told by the staff not to.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 22, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Definitely best to use their patcher to get everything.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

LumberingTroll posted:

I wanted to get this set up, but when I launch the StellaPatcher the first time I set a directory, and it crashed, now when I start it every time it gives a "StellaPatcher has stopped working" popup.

Try running as admin

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

LumberingTroll posted:

I was playing for a bit, it runs very well. nostalgia has gripped me and I want to play more... Def gonna rock a BH, though I wish we could keep the changes of NGU but go back to the original class/skill system.

That's always going to be a double edged sword in my opinion. As much as the original professions gave you freedom to choose, they also hindered you because of how utterly imbalanced they were. It was an illusion of actual choice since most professions were just plain broken. Not to mention topping it off with the ultimate coup d'grace a game can suffer by having an Alpha class in the form of Jedi. When wielding a glowbat is the penultimate thing one can achieve, it is the one thing the majority will spend their days working towards.

I believe if SWG launched as the NGE, it would still be running today.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Bear in the Woods posted:

There is buffing, but it isn't as necessary for content as it was in Pre-CU.

It's closer to what buffs are in other MMOs, something extra rather than something necessary.

That isn't really true. I mean you could go and do just about anything low-end without buffs, but you'd be foolish to do anything that isn't low end without at least an entertainer buff. The NGE brought an extremely diverse way for Ents to "Build a Buff" based on the person receiving it's preferences.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Entertainer_buff

For PvP especially you might as well be naked without it.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Wikipedia Brown posted:

God, whatever you do, don't hang out in the SB discords (either the dev one or the community one).

It's all people getting mad that they're being censored by SJWs trying to stop them from saying human being and friend of the family in their star war chat.

Unmoderated pubbies. :stare:

This is why we have our own discord.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Conskill posted:

Speaking of, is the Stella Bellum forums currently experiencing crippling goonterror or is there another group of "toxic elitists" that has ruffled their feathers?

Not really, just a very small group of extremely obnoxious, extremely vocal people that have the rabid swagger of a 4chan enthusiast but would probably even be shunned there.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

I dont think anyone knows goons are playing stella, nobody has posted about it in the forums or tried to start any goonfear.

Do we know where we are setting up? Is cnet still the player hotspot? If so throwing our houses down in prep for the city as close to the main city as we can would probably do us well commercially

In the NGE, everyone starts in Mos Eisley, and pretty much everyone ends up using their own ships for travel. For all intents and purposes Eisley will most likely be the only static city that retains a permanent population of players. Most others will just be people passing through.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Erev posted:

As a pre-CU fanatic explain to me why I should play. I was a rifleman/droid engineer if it helps.

Because it's free?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

nazca posted:

Yay :sa:

I want to play with goons and live in afgoonistan.
I'm discording now. How do I play?

Join discord, then spend unknown days with us waiting for the server to come online and stable. It's really fun.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

nazca posted:

So... This server is based on leaked source code? How did they come by it? Last time I decided to let SWGemu piss me off I had found a forum post somewhere stating that Sony claimed they didn't even have access to it any more.

Some one buy an old computer at a pawn shop?

That's an interesting story...

Well, lets see. Back in November 2012 I first joined the ProjectSWG team (which is still the only actual NGE Emulation effort out there). I ended up running their small QA team and soon hired someone by the name of Firefly to the team to work in QA. Some of us on the team already had fostered limited friendships with a few former SOE devs such as Jaskell and Tony "Teesquare" Tyson and a few others. Unbeknownst to myself and others on the "PSWG" team Firefly cultivated a relationship with a former SOE Dev who was known as "Dev Shade" his real name I have forgotten. Firefly eventually convinced Dev Shade to mail her an old hard drive that contained what he said were a bunch of developer tools, it turned out to be the full source code for the game. We did not know she was in possession of it for some time however. She was jaded and disillusioned with the PSWG team and kept it a secret.

Long story short, she honey potted a former SOE Dev to get the source. She wanted to hoard it for herself and a few others, eventually it got loose.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Drone posted:

I thought a not insignificant portion of it came through packet sniffing? Or was that what people tried in vain to do during the last days of City of Heroes (but were ultimately unsuccessful, which is why there's no City of Heroes shard out there)?

SWGEmu, and ProjectSWG are results of packet sniffing.

Stella Bellum and SWG Legends are results of leaked official SOE source code given to an e-slut who honey potted a former SOE dev to give it to her.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Oneavi posted:

What's the deal with SWGLegends again? Seen some weird stuff about them offering favors for donations or some shady poo poo like that, but apparently goon hearsay is more credible to me than random internet hearsay.

Routine admin abuse, high levels of cronyism, and an illicit cash shop (credit sales and in game item sale micro-transactions; Something that would actually get Disney to give a drat about these projects and actually shut them down if they got wind of it.) run by the guy in charge of that team.

Oh and they don't have any actual developers.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

tadashi posted:

Let's say I had the expertise and resources to start my own server, does anyone know a good place to start? I found some old guides but I am not sure what the latest available publicly builds are to work with.

If you need to look up guides, then you are not the right person to run a server.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Cons
  • Levarris works on it

That is a con if i ever heard one.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Conskill posted:

No sarcasm intended, but: for how long? Persistence is a key element to my enjoyment of SWG and it's one thing that Darklight/Elysium has had trouble with in the past.

If the server gets enough donations to pay for itself. It's not going anywhere.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I haven't really been following anything related to SWG in a few months, seems the SB project has ground to a halt though they claim to still be working on it. They have no intentions on hosting a live server but dangle the carrot of one every now and again to entice people to drop some bitcoin on them.

Hate to say it, but I highly doubt there will ever be a server worth playing on again for this game.

I certainly am done with trying to develop for it.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

So I've been dicking around on SWG Legends. It's an NGE server that's been released for a while now.
It seems almost feature complete, I haven't run into any major noticeable bugs and the population stays around 500-1000 depends on the time.

But whenever I get fully buffed to go out and do poo poo they restart the server.

like 5 times a day at this point

I know it's just a small inconvenience, but it makes it hard to get a group going. When that "server restart in an hour" system message pops up no one is willing to do anything until after the restart.

Legends is poo poo, and run by a bunch of children who have no idea what they are doing. It's also the only "running" NGE server too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Theophany posted:

SOE or what is now Disney I guess(?) had no problem with non-profit emu servers iirc. But when it comes to servers with straight up stolen source code I'm sure they'd take a dim view of it.

The core emu project seems to be run well enough these days but I guess that lot have no interest in running a live server once they're done.

Would you? In general what's left of the SWG community are the lowest common denominators of human detritus. It's like trying to run a school for children with autism, except all of the parents, teachers and support staff also have autism.